The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 02-22-2019, 02:09 PM   #21
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtfbomb View Post
According to Bill Hunt from The Digital Bits, North America is down from around 9 DVD/Blu-Ray manufacturers to just one.
That's shocking although I don't see how this would stop a 4K presentation of the TMNT films appearing on streaming services. As time goes on regardless of what format you play movies on as picture technology improves consumers want to be paying for the best quality available. Only difference is no extras.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtfbomb View Post
Also, while Digital is more convenient (in theory), the prices are terrible.
Not just that, with digital streaming you don't actually own the product. It also depends how good your Internet connection is. I will always go for physical media.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
One piece of the market where I think digital has an advantage would be the sale prices for many TV seasons or bundles on VUDU. If you are patient, you can probably get a bunch of HDX episodes for $5-10. That said, TV shows aren't backed up through any sort of shared digital library locker (like Movies Anywhere), and now with UltraViolet going away, those TV shows are vulnerable to VUDU's internal policies and the service's existence.
Agreed on everything you said. It also pains me seeing commercials advertising online TV boxsets. I find that terminology hugely irritating. How can I be a boxset if you're not holding it in your hands!!! It's almost as though companies are willing to ignore physical formats but keep their terminology. It's so misleading and ridiculous.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 02:38 AM   #22
Chet
Thug

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
I'm not aware of any instances of this, but which movies/shows add this layer of annoyance?
I've definitely encountered it. DVDs that won't let you fast forward through (or skip) production company logos and/or previews. It's preposterous.
Chet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 12:25 PM   #23
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chet View Post
I've definitely encountered it. DVDs that won't let you fast forward through (or skip) production company logos and/or previews. It's preposterous.
Oh, sure, I'm familiar with DVDs that do that (sometimes the Menu buttons can work around that), but I didn't know some digital purchased content was forcing additional ads on people... like in the middle of episodes or movies?

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 11:32 AM   #24
sdp
Megan Fox = April

It'll come out in 4k eventually and in 8k later on, they'll just take their sweet time.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 08:55 AM   #25
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
It'll come out in 4k eventually and in 8k later on, they'll just take their sweet time.
Exactly! People equate newer digital formats to physical media which is slowly dying but really streaming services will always try to upgrade their movies to the best quality available.
Old 03-22-2019, 10:29 AM   #26
Hamato Yoshi
Stone Warrior

IMO , films like TMNT , Deer Hunter or Rocky shouldnt be over polished , the film should have grain
Hamato Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 10:37 AM   #27
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post
Exactly! People equate newer digital formats to physical media which is slowly dying but really streaming services will always try to upgrade their movies to the best quality available.
False. 4K isn't even really streamable yet without massive amounts of compression. You buy a 4K Blu-ray, you are getting a 200% better viewing experience.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 10:44 AM   #28
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamato Yoshi View Post
IMO , films like TMNT , Deer Hunter or Rocky shouldnt be over polished , the film should have grain
I agree with you, tbh. Let's also not forget that the first ever TMNT movie was an independent film. So making it look over polished as if it was a AAA Hollywood release would kill a big part of its charm.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 04:49 PM   #29
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
False. 4K isn't even really streamable yet without massive amounts of compression. You buy a 4K Blu-ray, you are getting a 200% better viewing experience.
Okay but then what's to stop digital platforms offering that experience? 2K won't impress forever as TV's get better right? (runs and hides)...
Old 03-23-2019, 05:15 PM   #30
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post
Okay but then what's to stop digital platforms offering that experience? 2K won't impress forever as TV's get better right? (runs and hides)...
That's still streaming and compression. Unless it literally let's you download the 100+ gig movie to your TV.

The amount of data in 4K video footage is more than can physically be live-downloaded (i.e., streaming). So they have to compress it down to something more manageable, but quality is lost. You buy a 4K Blu-ray and pop it in your player... no loss. Because the data is already there.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 03-23-2019 at 05:21 PM.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 08:11 PM   #31
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Quote:

No one gives a damn though, look at the quality of streaming music as well for the same comparison. Physical media will continue to sell less YOY as the trend has been for years now.
Old 03-23-2019, 11:15 PM   #32
frank_one
Mad Scientist

I honestly prefer an uncompressed 2k video rather than a 4k overcompressed mess.
frank_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 07:59 AM   #33
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_one View Post
Not in the near future, unless a 4k scan of the films already exists and it's ready to be used. Those movies aren't even on blu-ray yet here in Italy.
a lot of films are usually digitally remastered. In which they scan them and then clean them up. They would have to scan all of them in 4K and clean them up due to films getting dirty.

So I could see some of those 90s movies getting 4K releases at some point. Even 80s movies are getting the 4K treatment.

In fact they can scan those movies at 8K and fix them up real good then release in 4K.
Old 03-25-2019, 01:02 PM   #34
Adventuremaster18
Mouser

I'd certainly buy it if Shout Factory was making it, they've made some incredible Blu-Rays such as the Bill & Ted Most Excellent Collection and Gravity Falls Complete Series. Those are packed with so many special features when they could have easily just sold a bare bones release with only the film. If they were re-releasing them on Blu-Ray at all with special features, I'd buy them in a heartbeat, even if it's just 1080p.
Old 03-25-2019, 10:39 PM   #35
sdp
Megan Fox = April

I hate discs as a storage medium, they're akward, scratch easily, loading etc. I hope 8k comes in a non-disc format. Something like the Nintendo Switch games:

http://www.shutupandtakemyyen.com/wp...ase-Copy-2.jpg

I'd be all over physical media again if they came in small cartridges like these, and of course you can still have a smaller case where to fit it with cool artwork and extras like the Switch cases have.
Old 03-25-2019, 11:39 PM   #36
Roseangelo
Emperor

And here I am sitting all content still with 720p.
Roseangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 04:17 AM   #37
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
I hate discs as a storage medium, they're akward, scratch easily, loading etc. I hope 8k comes in a non-disc format. Something like the Nintendo Switch games:

http://www.shutupandtakemyyen.com/wp...ase-Copy-2.jpg

I'd be all over physical media again if they came in small cartridges like these, and of course you can still have a smaller case where to fit it with cool artwork and extras like the Switch cases have.
4K requires that you have really fast internet to see it. For 8K? that's going to take a couple of years. and maybe even more until Internet is fast enough to handle that.

I'm at a point where I can no longer buy physical media. And this is due to limited storage space. I don't any more room to store Blu-Rays. So digital is the way to go.

With so many DVDs and Blu-Rays. You becoming a hoarder.
Old 03-28-2019, 06:50 PM   #38
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventuremaster18 View Post
I'd certainly buy it if Shout Factory was making it, they've made some incredible Blu-Rays such as the Bill & Ted Most Excellent Collection and Gravity Falls Complete Series. Those are packed with so many special features when they could have easily just sold a bare bones release with only the film. If they were re-releasing them on Blu-Ray at all with special features, I'd buy them in a heartbeat, even if it's just 1080p.
Y'know with Bill & Ted I think there's room for improvement on the extras front. Perhaps with the new movie getting made we might get an upgraded edition and then maybe we'll finally get the sequel released in the UK!!!

Quote:
That's still streaming and compression. Unless it literally let's you download the 100+ gig movie to your TV.

The amount of data in 4K video footage is more than can physically be live-downloaded (i.e., streaming). So they have to compress it down to something more manageable, but quality is lost. You buy a 4K Blu-ray and pop it in your player... no loss. Because the data is already there.
I get you there. However if what's manageable in the future is less compressed movies then the only thing people would need to worry about is firstly a faster Internet connection and secondly a better TV. If they have the first and the second years from now then what will be watched will need to be improved as consumers get more demanding.

Obviously Andrew I'm a physical media guy anyway. Just kind of looking at it from streaming point of view.

Tags
1990 film, 1990s films, original trilogy, steve barron