The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Rise of the TMNT Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-05-2018, 12:05 AM   #2001
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

I'm really curious to see what Shredder will be like in this show, as well as all the other villains as they are my favourite part of any tmnt show.

We don't even know what these turtles look like but I am already speculating as to what their potential crossover with the Nick Turtles would be like (if there is one, which I think is fairly likely)

I imagine it would take place just before the Mutant Apocalypse and has both sets of turtles working together to stop the Kraang from unleashing the Mutagen Bomb. The Nick Turtles, not wanting their lighthearted counterparts to suffer a horrible fate, send them back to their homeworld shortly before the bomb goes off.

I think the creators might pull another "our worlds are connected" revelation with the Nick and Rise Universes, like how they did with the Nick Universe and FW cartoon by making the original Krang an Utrom and a cousin of Kraang Subprime.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
Old 01-05-2018, 12:06 AM   #2002
victory_angel
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
He also loved the finer things in life... like renting hotel suites on somebody else's credit card.
He also said that originally wanted to be a writer and World Domination was his second choice as a life career. I wonder what happened with that? Too many rejection letters? Because I would think being a writer would have been the easier of the two ambitions.
Old 01-05-2018, 12:14 AM   #2003
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by victory_angel View Post
He also said that originally wanted to be a writer and World Domination was his second choice as a life career. I wonder what happened with that? Too many rejection letters? Because I would think being a writer would have been the easier of the two ambitions.
It probably didn't fufill Shredder's need to feel dominant and lust for power despite his way with words.

Besides, being a world conquerer allowed him to express his colourful vocabulary much more than being a writer ever could

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
Old 01-05-2018, 12:07 PM   #2004
biganimefan
Foot Soldier

As much of a moron FW Shredder can be, he isn't exactly one-dimensional with killing the Turtles/Splinter or destroying/conquering the world. But...what about the scenes with Shredder in the Summer Nick shorts? He's not fighting the Turtles or being super-villain.

Lol, but anyway, I'm also curious how Shredder is portrayed next series. We'll see I guess.
Old 01-05-2018, 12:18 PM   #2005
CyberCubed
Overlord

Old 01-05-2018, 12:24 PM   #2006
sdp
Megan Fox = April

OT Shredder - He felt like this mysterious Japanese Ninja Master from martial art movies so that's all the characterization I needed from him.

2k3 Shredder - They seemed to be going for the Lex Luthor "business man" by day "illegal activities" by night. I think it was a great modernization of the character even if ripping off a bit of Luthor.

Nick Shredder - I hate you because REVENGE, which once we got the actual backstory and he was guilty of everything it seemed like a really weak reason for vendetta even when compared to OT Shredder. I guess he had a building in NYC but they never explained why?

I'd want a new Shredder to take the 2k3 approach of him being a modern business man that just has shady business at night, even though it was the intention of 2k3 it wasn't really explored and we got more of the Utrom twist out of it.
Old 01-05-2018, 12:59 PM   #2007
CyberCubed
Overlord

Nick Shredder raised his enemies daughter as his own, and then genuinely loved her, so that was a lot of depth. Although besides that most of his character was just about killing Splinter, even moreso than the Turtles. I remember he did say he had plans to take over NYC and would betray the Kraang at a certain point if they succeeded.
Old 01-05-2018, 01:01 PM   #2008
newfan
Mad Scientist

I think with Nicks Shredder it was down to him having a distorted view of things, but it was stemmed from him finding out that Yoshi's father (who also raised him) killed his father and destroyed his clan....then all the Tang Shen business, even though he killed her, it was because of his hate for Yoshi, so he blamed him, though I got the impression he had convinced himself that Yoshi did it. He blamed Splinter for Karai's mutation, yet he dangled her above the mutagen in the first place and it was his blade (though meant for Leo) which cut the chain and dropped her in it.

Also, him taking Karai after killing her mother was similar to what happened to him (though he stole her out of spite) , yet he couldn't seem to understand why she hated him for that. When he came to kill Karai though he did say it was fitting that she died as her mother did, I took that as him finally admitting to what he did.

As they've all had differences so far I would imagine it would be the same for the new show, if he is in it.

Last edited by newfan; 01-05-2018 at 02:57 PM.
Old 01-05-2018, 01:02 PM   #2009
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

There was also that sympathetic side to him, as if he saw himself as good and misunderstood even though he was evil. Even at his worst, when he was battling Leonardo as Super Shredder, he stopped and hesitated for a moment when Leo asked him whether his destiny was to be a monster.

Old 01-05-2018, 01:02 PM   #2010
CyberCubed
Overlord

They were also clearly trying to "Darth Vader" Nick Shredder, with the whole scarred/burned face that none of the other Shredder's ever had before, raising a character to "the dark side" etc.
Old 01-05-2018, 01:06 PM   #2011
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
They were also clearly trying to "Darth Vader" Nick Shredder, with the whole scarred/burned face that none of the other Shredder's ever had before, raising a character to "the dark side" etc.

Old 01-05-2018, 01:09 PM   #2012
newfan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
He reminded me just slightly sometimes, the voice...and the scene where he was placing his helmet over his burned head before turning to a screen to talk to the kraang, reminded me of the scene in empire when Vader's helmet came down over his head and he turned to a screen.

Last edited by newfan; 01-05-2018 at 02:15 PM.
Old 01-05-2018, 01:10 PM   #2013
CyberCubed
Overlord

"Karai, I am your father!"
Old 01-05-2018, 01:14 PM   #2014
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Yeah,too bad it didn't work since the mystery was fairly obvious since the beginning. The scarred look didn't work and the vendetta felt weak especially since he caused everything, I prefer better built villains. He was an OK shredder, but I want a new one to learn from the mistakes.

2K3 shredder had its fair share of mistakes, they never dwelled into the Business man Shredder too much, nor the mythical things too much and the Utrom twist was cool but his hate for the turtles was too specific from one season to the next to Turtles Forever.
Old 01-05-2018, 01:20 PM   #2015
CyberCubed
Overlord

2k3 Shredder was like Freeza from Dragonball Z. He was an intergalactic warlord who just wanted to conquer the universe and kill all who opposed him.
Old 01-05-2018, 04:19 PM   #2016
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
2k3 Shredder was like Freeza from Dragonball Z. He was an intergalactic warlord who just wanted to conquer the universe and kill all who opposed him.
Well technically Freeza didn't really want to rule, he conquered planets so he could sell them for profit, hewas less like a galactic warlord and more like galactic real estate flipper.
Hahahaha!
Old 01-05-2018, 04:45 PM   #2017
CyberCubed
Overlord

Most of Freeza's empire largely came from planets he conquered though, that's why all his soldiers look like they're from a mix of a hundred different planets.
Old 01-05-2018, 05:05 PM   #2018
victory_angel
Foot Elite

Shredder was too blinded to see what he always had.

His family was killed by the Hamato Clan. We don’t know the reason for that spacificly, but I don’t believe it was just for random reason. As far as we know, Oroku Saki’s birth parents could actually have been monsters. Shredder is found a as an infant and Hamato Yuuta makes the conscious decision to take pity on the child and raise him as his own.

He and Hamato Yoshi were raised as brothers, who lived as both as friends and rivals. While both were cared for, Saki more then likely saw Yoshi as the favored son which caused some of his anger to fester.

Years later they meet Tang Shen, and have a rivalry over her. Saki may have had a relationship with her for a time as he does ask her to take him back. Tang Shen at some point feels put off by him and runs to Yoshi instead. The two of them marry and have a child, but regardless of this Saki still wants to prove himself as the better man. Tang Shen is conflicted since she knows her husbend is devoted to his family and feels his clan should endure, but does not wish the life of a ninja upon her infant daughter.

Hamato Yuuta is sick during the fall of the Hamato Clan, and it’s somewhat implied that he is dying. Since one of the five judges of the underworld does judge you based on the lies you told in life. He probably felt he would have a better chance of entering a peaceful realm by revealing the truth of Saki’s origins. So he calls his adopted son to his side and tells him who he truely is. Unfortunately, it doesn’t have the desired effect. Instead it only proves in Saki’s mind that Yoshi was the favored son because he was the true born son. Little mind that he was cared for, that didn’t stop the fact he was stolen from his family and was raised to believe he was part of the family who murdered his parents. Regardless of who his parents actually could have been. In anger he likely would have killed Hamato Yuuta before gathering together any ninja who would loyally serve him and told them that he is from the Foot Clan and the Hamato Clan no longer deserves the right to exist.

Here he confronts Yoshi and Tang Shen. He give Tang Shen one last chance to choose where she belongs. Tang Shen however states that she has made her choice and begs her husbend and brother in law to stop this foolishness.

Oroku Saki unfortunately is beyond all reasoning and attacks his former brother and friend. Yoshi also finds no choice but to lash out at Saki, but he still leaves Saki every out he could think of to see the error of this mind set. In an attempt to get them to cease their fight, Tang Shen steps between them and is struck down. Saki is horrified since he killed her by his hand. Before he can process the travesty of what he has done his face is horribly burned and disfigured. He makes his way outside and finds Miwa where she had been safely put underneath a stone lantern. Knowing that she was the last shred of Tang Shen he had left he raised her as his daughter and gave her the name of Karai. Figuring that Yoshi somehow survived the fire, he deludes himself in to believing that Yoshi was the one who killed Tang Shen because he “poisoned” her mind against him.

As Karai grows, the Shredder raises her and trains her. He acts as a father must, though not so much the caring father side such as tending to her while she is sick. Getting down on the floor and playing with her or anything like that. But he did go through the motions of fatherhood for the most part. And when Karai displeased him in any way, there are hints of him being abusive towards her.

Over the years he cared for her, yes he did come to love her as his own child. But he also hated her because he would always see Hamato Yoshi’s features in her face. Every single day, seeing his enemies face in the face of his adopted daughter. So because of this he saw her as a tool for vengeance, a living weapon. How poetic it would be to see his enemy struck down by his flesh and blood.

However, his teaching also had an unintended effect as well. Mourning the mother who she never got to know, and angry at the man who took her mother from her. Karai’s interests are purely focused on vengeance, but after meeting Splinter she becomes more unhinged in her desire to avenge her mother. After she learns that Splinter is her true father, she becomes blinded by the desire to seek vengance against the man who is truely responsible for destroying her life.

After the Shredder’s death, when he faces Emma Daioh he is finally shown the scope of the ills he performed in life. And because of this he acknowledges that he doesn’t belong in the living world when he is forcing Kavaxas back into hell with him.

Last edited by victory_angel; 01-06-2018 at 02:55 AM.
Old 01-05-2018, 08:53 PM   #2019
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

Hopefully, the upcoming show will have better written characters.
Old 01-06-2018, 02:25 AM   #2020
newfan
Mad Scientist

Victory Angel, I might address some of that in the Nick appreciation thread later.

Last edited by newfan; 01-06-2018 at 02:38 AM.
Closed Thread

Tags
2018, rise of the tmnt, speculation, we're crimefighters