The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 11-04-2017, 04:54 PM   #1
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Ranking Characters that appeared in all 3 cartoons

When looking at characters that appeared in all 3 tmnt cartoons, how would you rank them from best to worst?

This is my personal List:

Leonardo: 2k3 > OT > Nick
Donatello: OT > Nick > 2k3
Raphael: 2k3 > OT > Nick
Michelangelo: OT > Nick > 2k3
Splinter: Nick > 2k3 > OT
April O'Neil: 2k3 > OT > Nick
Casey Jones: 2k3 > OT > Nick
Shredder: OT > 2k3 > Nick
Baxter Stockman: 2k3 > OT > Nick
Rat King: OT > Nick > 2k3
Leatherhead: 2k3 > Nick > OT
Usagi: 2k3 > Nick > OT
Triceratons: 2k3 > Nick > OT
Foot Soldiers: 2k3 > OT > Nick
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 06:25 PM   #2
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
When looking at characters that appeared in all 3 tmnt cartoons, how would you rank them from best to worst?

This is my personal List:

Leonardo: 2k3 > OT > Nick
Donatello: OT > Nick > 2k3
Raphael: 2k3 > OT > Nick
Splinter: Nick > 2k3 > OT
April O'Neil: 2k3 > OT > Nick
Casey Jones: 2k3 > OT > Nick
Shredder: OT > 2k3 > Nick
Baxter Stockman: 2k3 > OT > Nick
Rat King: OT > Nick > 2k3
Leatherhead: 2k3 > Nick > OT
Usagi: 2k3 > Nick > OT
Triceratons: 2k3 > Nick > OT
Foot Soldiers: 2k3 > OT > Nick
14 entries on that list, 2 of which don't even refer to actual characters. I know why this list is so short, it's just that it seems almost pointless.

Anyway, apply the order of 4Kids, Nick and FW to all entries for me. I don't care for pizza jokes, reporters, flies, lobster guns, breakage obsessions, clowns in samurai helmets, disposable ninja androids, men who transform into rats and idiots who honestly thinks rats are superior to humans for flimsy reasons. And to a lesser extent pointless psychic powers and alligators with trigger words.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 06:30 PM   #3
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

I'm going opposite to Neatoman.
I'll take the Nick versions of everything over the 2k3 and then that over FW.

Exceptions:
Baxter Stockman, who was best in 2k3
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 06:40 PM   #4
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
I'm going opposite to Neatoman.
I'll take the Nick versions of everything over the 2k3 and then that over FW.

Exceptions:
Baxter Stockman, who was best in 2k3
I agree with Plastron. Though I like 2k3 Casey a bit more than Nick Casey so other than that I agree with her
Old 11-04-2017, 06:41 PM   #5
CyberCubed
Overlord

2k3 Raph and Mike after Seasons 2 were generally the weakest incarnations. Shame because they started off so well. After that Raph was always mad, Mikey was always loud or obnoxious, even when nothing was happening in an episode. It's even more odd now when rewatching the show years later. I don't want to watch a Raphael who is always angry 24/7.

Nick's Splinter is easily the best, one of the greatest incarnations of Splinter in general.

For April, again this is difficult. 2k3 April had a decent personality but she just kinda faded to the sidelines as the series progressed. OT April was always there but a damsel in distress, I liked Nick's April's personality wise.

As for Leatherhead, 2k3/Nick Leatherhead are practically the same exact character.

The Shredder's all worked well for their respective series so I can't rank them. They all did a good job for the tone of the series they had.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 06:58 PM   #6
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autbot_Benz View Post
I agree with Plastron. Though I like 2k3 Casey a bit more than Nick Casey so other than that I agree with her
I'm going back and forth on Casey.
I really love what both shows do with him, and enjoy the work of both voice actors.

If I'm being honest I prefer 2k3's Personality more than Nick, but...I really do love the Nick character design.

In a lot of cases that's the thing that pushed Nick into the lead, the fact that I really love how the characters are designed.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 07:23 PM   #7
sdp
Megan Fox = April

I'm not done with the Nick show but I'm getting close, only need a little more than one season left so I think I can make a fair assessment, if anything changes I'll reply again.

Baxter Stockman: 2k3>OT>Nick

The Nick version got better over time but it's by far the weakest, the OT's main problem with Baxter is he isn't black but man was he a tragic character in almost all his appearances, but 2k3 Baxter was awesome all around.

Rat King: Nick > OT > 2k3

OT's Rat King is cool enough but even with such few appearances the Nick show was awesome, I do think 2k3 could've beaten both but with only one appearance it wasn't allowed its full potential.

Leatherhead: Nick>OT>2k3
I like all versions as well but 2k3 didn't do enough and Nick did a better job, the OT isn't that great but he was still a cool villain so he gets a pass

Foot Soldiers: 2k3>OT>Nick
2k3 and their mysteries surrounding the foot and its soldiers are ubeatable, Nick could've done better but after turning all the foot into robots they lost their way, Shredder's army was his mutants not his soldiers, at least the had plenty of their robot foot soldiers.

Triceratons: Nick>2k3>OT
The OT triceratons could've easily been #1 but with such a quick appearance then it has to be last, the Nick showed them as relentless monsters, the 2k3 show did a great job as well but I just preferred Nick's versions.

April o Neil: OT>2k3>Nick

Likely not a popular choice but while I liked 2k3 April you could tell they didn't know how to get her into the story and sometimes felt forced, I still like her but while she was mostly a damsel in distress in the OT the reporter thing at least gave made her feel like she fit in with the plots. Nick April never earned her spot there, I liked how they slowly trained her but she was annoying with her psychic powers and excuses to make her plot relevant with the Kraang.

Casey Jones: OT>2k3J>Nick

This one is tough, OT's version is really cool but not really a great Casey Jones, 2k3 I would want to love but he's written too much as a meathead for me to like him, Nick Casey was one of my least liked incarnations but he got better through out the show

Usagi: 2k3>OT

I like both versions but 2k3 was definitely cooler, haven't gotten to Usagi in the NIck show. I'll edit this as soon as I get to his episodes.

Splinter: OT>2k3>Nick

Wasn't a huge fan of Nick's Splinter, OT and 2k3 had great Splinters, 2k3 was written a bit better but I did like more the origin of OT Splinter as it made his relationship more personal.

Raphael: OT>Nick>2k3

I want to love 2k3 raph but he was too angsty in that one, OT is a better balance and Nick needed a bit more personality though they did a good job with him.

Leonardo: 2k3>Nick>OT
2k3 had the better leonardo arcs but Nick Leo was still pretty good, OT was likely the most boring and useless.

Mikey: Nick>OT>2k3
2k3 Mikey was overtly annoying and I liked him plenty but they focused too much on him so he's last because of it, Nick had a better balance and OT Mikey was good but you can't take too much of him without getting annoyed either.

Donatello: OT>2k3>Nick

Without Donnie the OT turtles would've lost to Shredder so man times, he was the leader of the group essentially, 2k3 was also good but he had more competition there while Nick was just ok, a bit annoying and got too much screen time.

Last edited by sdp; 11-04-2017 at 07:31 PM.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 07:47 PM   #8
Powder
So tired of this place

Leonardo: Nick > 4kids > OT (could practically tie them though)
Donatello: Nick > OT > 4kids
Raphael: Nick > OT > 4kids
Splinter: Nick > OT > 4kids
April O'Neil: 4kids > Nick > OT
Casey Jones: OT > 4kids > Nick
Shredder: Nick > OT > 4kids
Baxter Stockman: 4kids > OT > Nick
Rat King: Nick > OT > 4kids
Leatherhead: Nick > OT > 4kids
Usagi: 4kids > Nick > OT
Triceratons: 4kids > Nick > OT
Foot Soldiers: 4kids > Nick OT

You'll see the average is Nick > OT > 4kids, which is pretty much how I rank the series' overall.

If this were just about the voice actors though, things might vary a bit more.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 07:50 PM   #9
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
I'm going back and forth on Casey.
I really love what both shows do with him, and enjoy the work of both voice actors.

If I'm being honest I prefer 2k3's Personality more than Nick, but...I really do love the Nick character design.

In a lot of cases that's the thing that pushed Nick into the lead, the fact that I really love how the characters are designed.
I agree with this
Old 11-04-2017, 08:08 PM   #10
CyberCubed
Overlord

If we were to do Hun:

2k3 Hun >>>>>> Bruce Lee Hun.

I mean I don't mind Nick Hun, but...he isn't Hun. He's Bruce Lee.
Old 11-04-2017, 08:18 PM   #11
ABrown
Banned

In ALL THINGS:

4Kids Series > Original Cartoon > Nick Series
ABrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 08:38 PM   #12
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrown View Post
In ALL THINGS:

4Kids Series > Original Cartoon > Nick Series
Nick has definitely done some characters better than others.
Old 11-04-2017, 08:48 PM   #13
ABrown
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Nick has definitely done some characters better than others.
Shinigami wasn't in either of the previous TMNT cartoons.
ABrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 09:15 PM   #14
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

Leonardo Nick>4kids
Raph 4kids=Nick
Mikey 4kids>Nick
Don 4kids>Nick
April 4kids>Nick
Casey 4kids>Nick
Karai Nick>4kids
Shredder 4kids>Nick
Splinter Nick>4kids, I was going to put equal but Nick edges out a little bit more
Leatherhead 4kids>Nick
Rat King Nick>4kids
Baxter Stockman 4kids>>>>>>Nick
Bishop 4kids>Nick
Hun 4kids>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Dogcrap>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Nic k
Old 11-04-2017, 09:23 PM   #15
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Evil Bruce Lee was an awesome character and should've been used more, the problem was naming him Hun. Bradford would've made a better Hun.

I forgot Shredder but I can't decide which one I like more, they all have flaws. OT is likely my favorite interpretation of Shredder but he spends so much of that series being beaten by being tripped by random objects that it's hard to choose him. 2k3 was fairly cool but the whole Utrom thing does take him down a bit as his pointless obsession with the turtles, Tengu Shredder was awful if we want to count him as the real one. Nick Shredder grew on me, his design screams of the 90s though, he seemed like a generic villain with the scarring and his motivation for hating Splinter was a bit weak since he did kill his love, not Splinter and while his obsession to kill Splinter was cool it was also a bit forced. I have problems with all 3 shredders but all 3 were the worthy main villains the TMNT deserved.

Karai:OT/2k3/Nick

I'm counting Lotus Blossom as Karai, cool ass character. 2k3 had cool moments but was annoying a lot of the time, Nick was always annoying.

I'm surprised by how balanced my list, no one show dominates it.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 09:54 PM   #16
CyberCubed
Overlord

I definitely think 4kids had the best version of Baxter. 4kids Baxter was definitely the most cunning and egotistical, he kept trying to betray Shredder but he could never get away with it.

Then later on 4kids Baxter works with Bishop and the EPF, that was a great direction to take his character in. Fast Forward also redeems Baxter where he decides to give up his evil ways so Bishop can make him a new human body.
Old 11-04-2017, 10:16 PM   #17
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
I definitely think 4kids had the best version of Baxter. 4kids Baxter was definitely the most cunning and egotistical, he kept trying to betray Shredder but he could never get away with it.

Then later on 4kids Baxter works with Bishop and the EPF, that was a great direction to take his character in. Fast Forward also redeems Baxter where he decides to give up his evil ways so Bishop can make him a new human body.
What I liked was how 4Kids Baxter from the dark show got the happy ending while FW Baxter got a dark ending. It makes both versions stand out more, something which I felt was missing from the Nick version.
Old 11-04-2017, 10:17 PM   #18
CyberCubed
Overlord

At least Nick Baxter got de-mutated.
Old 11-04-2017, 10:20 PM   #19
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
At least Nick Baxter got de-mutated.
Yeah, the only one who kept his normal look at the end The other ones most probably spent the rest of their lives as a mutant fly, or a One eyed tentacle alien.
Old 11-04-2017, 10:21 PM   #20
CyberCubed
Overlord

Well in Baxter's ep in Fast Forward Bishop did tell him he would create a new human body for him. It's just too bad it happened off-screen.