The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 07-22-2021, 10:18 AM   #41
Sumac
Banned

Race-swapping is not a diversity.
Creating new interesting character of other races is diversity.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 10:26 AM   #42
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
Look, I hate the trend of pandering too, but a little diversity is okay. We can’t get carried away.
Agreed 100%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
Agreed 100%.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 10:40 AM   #43
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
Actually, both can be true. Skin color is far from the only form of diversity, but it is one form of diversity.

Your statement implies that one negates the other, and it does not. I'm not saying race-swapping is the best way to bring diversity, but it actually is one way. And if the actor is right for the job, then that's just a "plus".

At the end of the day, there are more white superheroes. So they are casting some of them as black. It's not about erasing white people from pop culture. (Your post doesn't imply that, but before anyone gets carried away with my post, I want to reiterate that's where I'm coming from.)

Last edited by AquaParade; 07-22-2021 at 10:47 AM.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 10:52 AM   #44
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
It's not about erasing white people from pop culture. (Your post doesn't imply that, but before anyone gets carried away with my post, I want to reiterate that's where I'm coming from.)
When you combine it with the vitriol from people riding around in cars screaming "Kill the white folk! Kill the white folk!" in videos, tearing down statues in an effort to defile history and supercede culture (no matter how questionable), public terrorists attacks on property and individuals (basically any BLM gathering), a coordinated movement to attack white people in pop culture from some existential anger and vengeance ("Dear White People"), and to attack a President as "racist" opportunistically (when in fact black employment numbers were the highest ever) and countless other examples; it sure feels like it's that.

And that's why people are angry. So diversity is fine but again - stop overriding existing characters and create new ones. Static Shock is awesome. John Stewart is awesome. Jim Rhodes is awesome. And all of these characters were around long before these movements and assaults of the last several years.

Replacing a white character with a black one is literally erasing white people from pop culture, dude. That's literally what it is. The white person is gone, the black person is there. Creating a new black character or using an old one that stands next to a white character is literally adding diversity. I mean the evidence is built into both the wording and the action for Christ's sake, dude.
Old 07-22-2021, 12:35 PM   #45
CyberCubed
Overlord

It's also because you can't do the opposite.

Imagine if they made a new movie where Cyborg was played by a white actor. The backlash would be huge because Cyborg has been around since the 80's. Imagine if Static Shock, John Stewart, Storm from X-men, etc. were all suddenly white. People would be outraged.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 01:41 PM   #46
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
It's also because you can't do the opposite.

Imagine if they made a new movie where Cyborg was played by a white actor. The backlash would be huge because Cyborg has been around since the 80's. Imagine if Static Shock, John Stewart, Storm from X-men, etc. were all suddenly white. People would be outraged.
Yeah, I think this is what people are actually upset about. "It's not fair, you can't do it to a black character".

I mean, I guess. If you want to die on that hill you can, but when it happens so rarely and there are so many white characters anyway, I don't really see it as an issue.

And you're right, some people would be outraged if the opposite happened, but you know what? Two things:

1. I'd think they're just as stupid for being outraged. Honestly, "the reverse would happen too!" isn't a good reason to defend something stupid. Cast a white Cyborg and you won't see me cry. I'm not thinking on behalf of the dummies who will.
2. I'd probably cut those dummies just a little slack, seeing as the strong majority of popular characters in comic books are white, not black. I can name ten to one popular white characters for the list Cubed probably just struggled to come up with. That's not my opinion, it's just the playing field we are on. There are way less black characters, so maybe it's nice to get some skin color diversity in there. And Static Shock is an effin dork. Nobody wants him. Give him to the Spanish people. They are desperate and have slim pickings right now. Somebody give them a Spider-Man 2099 movie.

I just think it's silly to act like white people are being erased out of pop culture. Again, referring to my examples of white movie stars leading the biggest films in Hollywood. The top grossing films in Hollywood have white leads, for the most part. The recent ones. Sort of hard to look at that and go "we're being erased!"

Last edited by AquaParade; 07-22-2021 at 01:55 PM.
Old 07-22-2021, 02:18 PM   #47
sdp
Megan Fox = April

nobody wants a white cyborg, a white shredder though. perhaps.
Spoiler:
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 04:55 PM   #48
AquaParade
Banned

"Whi-Borg."
Old 07-22-2021, 05:02 PM   #49
Leo656
The Franchise

To clarify, when I said "my people" were being gentrified out of pop culture, I specifically meant people of Celtic descent, not "white people" in general.

And it's not open for debate, it's a f*cking statement of fact. Pick any redheaded character and/or one with an Irish/Scottish surname, 99% chance they'll be black or Hispanic in the next movie or TV show adaptation. It's happened so many times over the last few years that it's only a shock if they DON'T race-flip them.

Black Widow's like the last one standing, and 1. She's dead, and 2. If they'd cast her even two years later than they did, she'd be black.

Whether or not there's a concentrated effort to "erase white people" in pop culture is a conversation, but whether or not they're trying to erase Celtic people is not. It's a simple statement of fact. It happens way too specifically and consistently to be any sort of coincidence.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 05:12 PM   #50
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Since Batgirl is black in this and Batman is white, does that mean we'll get the first interracial sex scene in a DC movie?
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 05:16 PM   #51
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
To clarify, when I said "my people" were being gentrified out of pop culture, I specifically meant people of Celtic descent, not "white people" in general.

And it's not open for debate, it's a f*cking statement of fact. Pick any redheaded character and/or one with an Irish/Scottish surname, 99% chance they'll be black or Hispanic in the next movie or TV show adaptation. It's happened so many times over the last few years that it's only a shock if they DON'T race-flip them.

Black Widow's like the last one standing, and 1. She's dead, and 2. If they'd cast her even two years later than they did, she'd be black.

Whether or not there's a concentrated effort to "erase white people" in pop culture is a conversation, but whether or not they're trying to erase Celtic people is not. It's a simple statement of fact. It happens way too specifically and consistently to be any sort of coincidence.
Aqua Parade is one of those guys that just has his story and perspective and sticks to it at all costs. It doesn't matter how you present the information to him:

Quote:
I just think it's silly to act like white people are being erased out of pop culture. Again, referring to my examples of white movie stars leading the biggest films in Hollywood. The top grossing films in Hollywood have white leads, for the most part. The recent ones. Sort of hard to look at that and go "we're being erased!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
Replacing a white character with a black one is literally erasing white people from pop culture, dude. That's literally what it is. The white person is gone, the black person is there. Creating a new black character or using an old one that stands next to a white character is literally adding diversity. I mean the evidence is built into both the wording and the action for Christ's sake, dude.
He will take that as confirmation that the total sum of the thought is someone's gentrification of a group argument at it's purest form.

He has got to be that kid in grammar school who was proven wrong in conversation countless times but yelled at his perceived adversary saying "PEOPLE HAVE OPINIONS AND OPINIONS ARE NEVER WRONG!" as final word on the matter, and then ran away only to later talk **** about the guy he yelled it. Only all the $#!( he talked was from his own weird perception. Meanwhile everyone else who understood the greater point just went "uh, yeah man, absolutely".

Aqua, compared to many of the other people here with weird and oddly precise, unwavering and misfounded opinions; I love ya man. But you definitely look at the info in your own way, pal.

Quote:
Yeah, I think this is what people are actually upset about. "It's not fair, you can't do it to a black character".
Might be more revealing that you view it this way. I don't think that most normal people run around living by, and form opinions dictated by anger over trivial social equity. But you do believe that, clearly! Where are you coming from there personally, man?
Old 07-22-2021, 05:27 PM   #52
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Okay you’re right. There are a lot of examples of her being brunette, but she is more often than not, redheaded.

I don’t know how anyone thinks white people are being gentrified out of pop culture. How about all the other superheroes that are white in current adaptions? I guess Peter Parker, three white Bruce Waynes, Dr. Strange - all of whom are manning some of the biggest upcoming movies in the world - are chopped liver? Loki? Scarlet Witch? Shazam? Ant-Man? Wasp? I could go on, obviously.

Captain Marvel, a white woman, was the character they were trying to push as the head of the biggest movie franchise in the world, after retiring their other two white leads. I mean, you’ve got to ignore pretty much everything to say that white people are being kicked out of pop culture.

All that is happening with the movies is a few white characters are being cast as black. And yeah, it’s probably being done on an at least somewhat conscious level, but if she’s a good actor, I don’t see the problem. If it were every single white character, or even a majority of them, then, yeah, that would be weird. But it’s not.

Reiteration: every white character being cast as black = bad
One out of ten white characters being cast as black = find something else to worry about.

Look, I hate the trend of pandering too, but a little diversity is okay. We can’t get carried away.
How bout we copy the source material? No diversity unless that's how it was in the original story? And why not make new stories and new characters?

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 05:35 PM   #53
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:

Okay, my bad. I thought you were referring to white people, obviously. I’m actually half Irish myself.

I don’t know anything about the Celtic thing you are referring to, but I’m intrigued.

My first thought is it sounds sort of conspiracy theory like. I mean, it would have to be a concentrated effort and it’s not like one person is in charge of Hollywood. Who’s agenda is this and why?
Again, not saying you’re wrong. I’m self-proclaimed clueless as to the circumstances of this issue, but it’s interesting.

IMJ, you do you. Not touching that pile of sale with a ten foot pole. Maybe when you cool down.

Last edited by AquaParade; 07-22-2021 at 05:44 PM.
Old 07-22-2021, 08:00 PM   #54
Leo656
The Franchise

I don't know the "Why" of it myself, I just know it happens too often to ignore.

April O'Neil, Jimmy Olsen, Barbara Gordon, etc. etc. etc. It's definitely become a trend. Why, who knows. It's like Eric Cartman took over Hollywood or something. "Death to all gingers!"

I'm sure it'll change eventually but it's been so consistent and persistent that it's impossible to ignore. And it's super f*cking annoying.

Old 07-22-2021, 08:46 PM   #55
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Like I said, the only ginger I've seen that's emerged intact (as a white person) in any TV/movie adaptations is Cheryl Blossom over on Riverdale... but they almost immediately made her into a lesbian. Like, "fine, we'll leave her white... but then we gotta LGBTQ her!"
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 08:56 PM   #56
Leo656
The Franchise

That doesn't count, all chicks are gay.

Old 07-23-2021, 12:04 PM   #57
AquaParade
Banned

Man, I remember when lesbians were cool.
Old 07-23-2021, 12:54 PM   #58
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
IMJ, you do you. Not touching that pile of sale with a ten foot pole. Maybe when you cool down.
That's why I love ya man. I'm not down with your perspective often lately, but at least we can do this..... something the T-Drome sorely lacked for years.

Quote:
That doesn't count, all chicks are gay.
Quoted proof here, from He-Man himself, that Teela in the new show is indeed.....
Old 07-23-2021, 01:55 PM   #59
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Man, I remember when lesbians were cool.
Only if they're hot.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 12:24 PM   #60
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Looks like JK Simmons is coming back to be Gordon

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/mo...mpression=true

Quote:
The Oscar-winning actor is in negotiations to reprise the role of classic Batman character Commissioner James Gordon in Batgirl, Warner Bros.’ feature for HBO Max that is casting up swiftly.