The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 10-16-2019, 09:04 PM   #1
Allio
Foot Elite

Shin Vs Godzilla

Old 10-16-2019, 11:06 PM   #2
IMJ
Emperor

I don't know who made that, how or why but I'm glad it's there.
I only watched my Shin Godzilla blu ray one time since buying it on release day, but I'm willing to sit through that bloody, legless Godzilla snaking around Tokyo one more time after this....
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 04:35 AM   #3
sdp
Megan Fox = April

I don't know who made that, how or why but I'm glad it's there.
I only watched my Godzilla 2014 one time since going to it on release day, but I'm willing to sit through that small face, fat Godzilla shaking around America one more time after this....
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 04:54 AM   #4
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Two Queens stand before me, now FIGHT!

'twas pretty good video
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 08:52 AM   #5
Powder
So tired of this place

This is exactly what I'm always telling my partner I want in a future film. Some kinda dimensional merge that pits these two against each other. I know it'd never happen, so this really scratches the itch for me.

Shin > All others

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 06:48 PM   #6
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
This is exactly what I'm always telling my partner I want in a future film. Some kinda dimensional merge that pits these two against each other. I know it'd never happen, so this really scratches the itch for me.

Shin > All others
What did you think of those Godzilla animes on Netflix? I've only watched the first one with the mecha-Godzilla city, but other than being a little slow, I thought they were pretty good. King of the Monsters was great, and Kong was fun.

And speaking of that dimensional thing - we need a flick where have that awesome looking Monster-verse Godzilla from the new flicks tearing a Roland Emmerich Godzilla apart in a fight....
Old 10-18-2019, 07:44 PM   #7
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Haven't watched KOTM yet so my opinions might change after I do, from what Powder told me it seems up my alley. But 2014 is a borefest and the design of 2014 is awful. I'll take 1998 American godzilla in design and story any day.

Now the Netflix Godzilla Anime Trilogy is very weird. I wouldn't say it's a good, but it's also not bad, it has some interesting choices, some horrible choices, and some bizarre choices. I still don't know what to make of it, I'd say it's worth a watch but far from a classic or anything. Maybe someone can edit the 3 films into one 2 hour crazy movie for better pacing.

And if we're sharing cool godzilla videos', I liked this one when it came out that compares the different sizes of Godzilla. Which sadly means we'll never get a real Godzilla multiverse fight since they're all so different when it comes to size and power.

Old 10-18-2019, 10:18 PM   #8
Allio
Foot Elite

The anime strong point is it’s sci-fi roots rather than the kaiju part. The whole “are we already dead?” Scene is pure classic cosmic horror
Old 10-20-2019, 04:27 AM   #9
Shark_Blade
Emperor

The Japanese know their Godzilla better. Shin Godzilla hands down.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 03:22 PM   #10
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Do we even know what japan is going to do with Godzilla? I remember reading Shin Godzilla 2 was cancelled in favor of a cinematic universe of godzilla.

I would've loved shin godzilla 2 but maybe it's better left alone as a single movie and a new japanese cinematic universe might seem like "we're like the MCU" as well but i think it can work, it worked back in the showa era and i was disappointed the millenium series wasn't all in continuity.
Old 10-21-2019, 11:12 AM   #11
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Still need to watch Shin Godzilla but I looove the Legendary Godzilla
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 11:42 AM   #12
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetofGanja View Post
Still need to watch Shin Godzilla but I looove the Legendary Godzilla
The Shin Godzilla is filmed as a modern homage to the original, most basic Godzilla stuff, with some interesting modern sensibilities included. Godzilla evolves a bit across the movie and they use a scientific fix although the implementation of that resolution is ridiculously hokey. So it's a fun flick and worth watching.

I love the modern Godzilla stuff too. Everyone has an opinion but I can't help but feel that the now and again hate it gets is some kind of fandom or cinematic snobbery or something. They are fun movies. -shrugs- I think the concept of Godzilla vs Kong has always been a bit ridiculous though. But then again we are talking about skyscraper sized monsters, sooooooo.....

I liked the Netflix animation but it took me a few sittings to get through it.
Old 10-21-2019, 04:26 PM   #13
Leo656
The Franchise

I dug Shin a lot as a nice re-imagining of the concept, and the design was neat, but it's not my favorite version. Good flick, though, definitely recommend it.

I'm not too hard to please with Godzilla in general; I just don't like most of the really, really silly-on-purpose ones.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 04:32 PM   #14
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
I dug Shin a lot as a nice re-imagining of the concept, and the design was neat, but it's not my favorite version. Good flick, though, definitely recommend it.

I'm not too hard to please with Godzilla in general; I just don't like most of the really, really silly-on-purpose ones.

Yeah I just watched a few of the older ones this past month and man, some of them are really silly. But they’re always fun, too. Individual mileage will vary, of course.
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 05:22 PM   #15
Leo656
The Franchise

It's just so strange how the original was soooo dark and serious - a "real movie" that just so happened to be about a giant nuclear dinosaur - and the execution and effects for its time were absolutely incredible. But then the creator immediately decided that he'd said literally everything that needed to be said with the first one, and decided that their sole focus should be on making kids' movies going forward. Such a bizarre hard left turn.

I haven't even seen half of them, but I'm slowly catching up - those "two movies on one $10 Blu-ray" sets are a godsend - but as anyone could guess, I generally prefer it when the material is played straight.

Except "Final Wars", which I love unapologetically despite its many flaws, just because "Godzilla Vs. Literally F*cking Everybody" was a movie that needed to be made and I don't know how else you could do it besides that.

I got into this stuff way late but I love it. Most of the time.

Old 10-21-2019, 05:34 PM   #16
AquaParade
Banned

I love Shin Godzilla! Easily my favorite of his movies. When I watch Godzilla, I like to be horrified. Shin Godzilla was able to touch on that feeling in a surprising and strange way.

Pretty sure I heard the sequel was canned, but I could be mistaken.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 06:11 PM   #17
Leo656
The Franchise

Yeah, last I heard they were simply going to do a "shared universe" using other, different (and I suppose newer) monsters. Possibly has to do with licensing agreements and whatnot. Under the current agreement, there can't be a Japanese Godzilla movie and an American one coming out in the same year, and there is some talk of renewing the Legendary deal as well even though Kong vs. Godzilla is ostensibly the final movie under the current arrangement, but it seems like it might be in everyone's best interest to do a few more. That would make it trickier for the Japanese studio to hard-schedule a sequel to Shin. So I guess they'll do other Giant Monster Movies in the interim as a placeholder, just in case they can't revisit Godzilla for a while. In fact, I imagine that the deal with Legendary is probably what spurred on the "reboot/re-imagining" in the first place, as a way to differentiate "Their" Godzilla from "Ours".

They almost have to follow that up at some point, though. As good as the movie was, it did have one of the all-time weakest "solutions" of any Godzilla movie I've ever seen. "So... we're just gonna kinda leave him there, huh?" "Yep." "And if it gets unseasonably warm one day, Japan's gonna be nuked right off the map by the U.S.?" "Uh huh." ".......Well, I don't see any way that can possibly go wrong. C'mon, let's go get lap dances!"

Good movie, weak ending. They almost certainly had every idea of doing a sequel, otherwise they'd surely never have ended it the way they did.