The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 10-22-2019, 01:43 PM   #1
LGN-76
Banned

What TMNT comic series would be compact enough to fit into my portable TMNT archive?

Hey there.

I have an archive that's set up so I can access my favorite TMNT media anywhere, anytime, hence the "portable".

Here's what it contains so far:
-The complete 1987 series in MP4
-The original live-action trilogy + the 2007 movie in MP4
-The soundtracks for the above movies + the Overclocked Remix album "Shell-Shocked" in MP3
TMNT 1-3 for NES + Turtles in Time & Tournament Fighters for SNES w/ emulators for Windows, PSP, and Android

None of this stuff was illegally downloaded. I dumped and ripped everything from my personal copies (except the OCR album which is legally free). I do not share anything in the archive with anyone else, it's all for my own personal use.

For the sake of completion, I'd like to throw a complete TMNT comic series into the archive. However, the entire archive CANNOT exceed 15GB, otherwise I won't be able to fit it into my cloud drives. Right now the archive is around 11GB.

Like with the other stuff in the archive, I can rip comics I buy off comixology (DRM-free or not) into cbz format, so you don't have to ask about that.

So like the thread title says, would I be able to squeeze an entire comic series into the archive? If so, which one would fit the size bill? Or should I just leave the archive as it is and call it good?

EDIT:
I'd really like to be able to fit TMNT Adventures in there, since the whole series is on comixology now. But again, I'd have to find a way to make it compact enough to fit into the archive...

Last edited by LGN-76; 10-22-2019 at 01:45 PM. Reason: TMNT Adventures
LGN-76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 02:37 PM   #2
hypered1
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGN-76 View Post
Hey there.

I have an archive that's set up so I can access my favorite TMNT media anywhere, anytime, hence the "portable".

Here's what it contains so far:
-The complete 1987 series in MP4
-The original live-action trilogy + the 2007 movie in MP4
-The soundtracks for the above movies + the Overclocked Remix album "Shell-Shocked" in MP3
TMNT 1-3 for NES + Turtles in Time & Tournament Fighters for SNES w/ emulators for Windows, PSP, and Android

None of this stuff was illegally downloaded. I dumped and ripped everything from my personal copies (except the OCR album which is legally free). I do not share anything in the archive with anyone else, it's all for my own personal use.

For the sake of completion, I'd like to throw a complete TMNT comic series into the archive. However, the entire archive CANNOT exceed 15GB, otherwise I won't be able to fit it into my cloud drives. Right now the archive is around 11GB.

Like with the other stuff in the archive, I can rip comics I buy off comixology (DRM-free or not) into cbz format, so you don't have to ask about that.

So like the thread title says, would I be able to squeeze an entire comic series into the archive? If so, which one would fit the size bill? Or should I just leave the archive as it is and call it good?

EDIT:
I'd really like to be able to fit TMNT Adventures in there, since the whole series is on comixology now. But again, I'd have to find a way to make it compact enough to fit into the archive...
It would depend on the quality of the compression; I have the full Mirage volume 1 at just over 1gb but lower quality scans compared to the IDW run at high quality clocking up almost 10gb. Although this is also 70 odd Mirage issues compared to about 200 IDW issues.
hypered1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 04:36 PM   #3
LGN-76
Banned

Well the only way to get TMNT Adventures from comixology is through the volumes, and there's 16 of them, and each volume is roughly 120-150 pages.

I don't own any of the volumes right now, and it's gonna be a while before I start buying them, but I've got some Batman graphic novels, and at least one of them should be the same amount of pages as a TMNT Adventures volume.

I'll look into it. Hold on...

EDIT:
All the Batman novels I have on there are well over 200 pages, so I'm not gonna get an accurate size prediction from them.

Last edited by LGN-76; 10-22-2019 at 04:41 PM. Reason: Big Batman Books
Old 10-24-2019, 03:25 PM   #4
pferreira
Foot Elite

Depends on the resolution size. The smaller they are the less space they will take up yet you lose quality. Vice versa you get the idea.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 03:32 PM   #5
IMJ
Emperor

You should be able to fit the total sum of TMNT apocrypha on a single, appropriately sized tablet SD card, the only variation of which would be the compression state of your MP4 files.

I have this same setup all housed with thousands of other files on a 6tb home media server. If you run into storage issues for your tablet, then pick up an internet enabled HMS. You can store everything there at home, and retrieve what you want remotely from the cloud functionality even though the material isn't actually on someone else's cloud server
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 09:38 AM   #6
LGN-76
Banned

All right, last night I did an experiment and it turned out to be a success!

I'm gonna try and buy all 16 TMNT Adventures volumes from comixology around Christmastime, along with the Archie 100-Page Spectacular (a.k.a. the 3-part miniseries that started TMNT Adventures). Then when I rip the books to cbz, I'm gonna batch convert the pages from png to jpg, and reduce the page sizes by 50%.

That will bring the file size of the collection from around 6.5GB all the way down to about 400MB! That will fit nicely in my archive!
Old 10-25-2019, 10:09 AM   #7
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
All right, last night I did an experiment and it turned out to be a success!

I'm gonna try and buy all 16 TMNT Adventures volumes from comixology around Christmastime, along with the Archie 100-Page Spectacular (a.k.a. the 3-part miniseries that started TMNT Adventures). Then when I rip the books to cbz, I'm gonna batch convert the pages from png to jpg, and reduce the page sizes by 50%.

That will bring the file size of the collection from around 6.5GB all the way down to about 400MB! That will fit nicely in my archive!
That kind of compression might not make you happy when you read the scans. I can say that you should be able to let Archie vol 1 (the mini) and vol 2 (the ongoing) reside digitally as CBZ files at somewhere in the 880 - 910MB range and they will all be nicely readable.

Just something to consider - storage is enormous nowadays so don't be afraid to use it. Especially when you are confining all of a single thing to one storage unit - i.e., one flash card for TMNT comics and nothing more.
Old 10-25-2019, 10:39 AM   #8
LGN-76
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
That kind of compression might not make you happy when you read the scans. I can say that you should be able to let Archie vol 1 (the mini) and vol 2 (the ongoing) reside digitally as CBZ files at somewhere in the 880 - 910MB range and they will all be nicely readable.

Just something to consider - storage is enormous nowadays so don't be afraid to use it. Especially when you are confining all of a single thing to one storage unit - i.e., one flash card for TMNT comics and nothing more.
I want everything in my archive to be able to fit into one single archive. I don't want to spread stuff out across multiple storage if I don't have to.

The major problem is that my cloud drive only stores up to 15GB, and I'm not paying a monthly or annual fee just to make it bigger. That's why I have to have everything as compact as possible.

EDIT:
I will say that I have a 1TB external hard drive that I keep all the source material for my archive on. It has:
-All 23 DVDs the 1987 series came on as ISOs (uncompressed)
-All 4 movies on DVD as ISOs (again uncompressed)
-All 4 movie soundtracks as BIN/CUE images
I can watch the ISOs using VLC media player and mount the soundtracks using DAEMON Tools. I'll keep the original unedited TMNT Adventures cbzs on there as well.

Last edited by LGN-76; 10-25-2019 at 10:46 AM. Reason: External HDD
Old 10-25-2019, 11:03 AM   #9
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
I want everything in my archive to be able to fit into one single archive. I don't want to spread stuff out across multiple storage if I don't have to.

The major problem is that my cloud drive only stores up to 15GB, and I'm not paying a monthly or annual fee just to make it bigger. That's why I have to have everything as compact as possible.

EDIT:
I will say that I have a 1TB external hard drive that I keep all the source material for my archive on. It has:
-All 23 DVDs the 1987 series came on as ISOs (uncompressed)
-All 4 movies on DVD as ISOs (again uncompressed)
-All 4 movie soundtracks as BIN/CUE images
I can watch the ISOs using VLC media player and mount the soundtracks using DAEMON Tools. I'll keep the original unedited TMNT Adventures cbzs on there as well.
If all you keep on that TB drive is TMNT, then wire it directly to your home router and create a log in so you can access it remotely from your cell phone via that routers app.
Another option is that if you buy an HMS like I mentioned above, then you'll have cloud functionality from it. I'd never put my files, let alone movie or comic "backups" on a server (aka "cloud storage") I didn't own. The "cloud" is a myth. That data is physically residing on a drive somewhere.

Otherwise, if it all fits on a 1TB drive, then buy as close an SD card to that as you can, then funnel your compression only on the animation and not the comics. It sounds like you'd be watching them on a tablet anyway, soooo...

Last edited by IMJ; 10-25-2019 at 11:09 AM.
Old 10-25-2019, 11:47 AM   #10
LGN-76
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
It sounds like you'd be watching them on a tablet anyway, soooo...
Tablet, phone, PS3, library computers, smart TVs, etc.
And no, I keep more than TMNT stuff on that external HDD.