The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Old 07-02-2019, 07:30 AM   #21
Zulithe
Ninjutsu Master

In a show that is working more than most of the past turtle shows to deviate from the established norm... may as well go all in. Pretty much what you'd expect Shredder to be like in this universe.
Zulithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 07:49 AM   #22
Vegita-San
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Kappa View Post
And he isn't.

Sure, it's not a very appealing costume, but it's no dumber looking then Tengu Shredder's outfit, FF Cyber Shredder, SotO Super Shredder, Next Mutation Shredder, 2012 Mutant Shredder, 2003 Ch'rell's default Shredder outfit, SuperMutant Shredder (anime) or both Bay-Shredder looks.
and people call me negative...

WTF was wrong with Cyber Shredder? I thought all the red blades looked cool.
What was wrong with original Shredder 2003 season 1? homage to warriors of the past.

What was wrong with Tengu Shredder? I mean, seriously. all of those are superior to this noisy mess.

or is there some un written rule that we can only dislike past versions and praise whatever new mess is around just because it's current and nick gods are watching?

'Wrong, April. We've Been upgraded to Women hating TROLLS'

?The force is not female, the force is not male, the force is for everyone?
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 08:00 AM   #23
Chaotix12345
Stone Warrior

I think the main issue is the most-likely "exclusive" paint job. Being all one shade makes him look like a statue or robot instead of a demonic armor. Methinks the mass release one will look WAYYYYY better in terms of details, which is kinda funny considering the paint situation with most SDCC exclusives vs. retail.
Chaotix12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 09:36 AM   #24
Zachatello00
Ninja Comedian

I hesitated to post anything because my comments are more about the design of the character as opposed to the look of the figure itself. I'm sure playmates did a fine job of sculpting the character to look like the artwork they were given.

Having said that, I'd just like to say that while I'm aware that the 'Rise' cartoon has a different target audience in mind than me, a 37 year old guy who fell in the love with the turtles 30 years ago, I've been trying to keep an open mind and encourage people to give things a chance before we just start bashing at it.

So, with that background info...my thoughts concerning this are largely negative. I just feel like the design team doesn't get it. Is this maybe like, a "form" of Shredder before he gets into that "final form"? He doesn't look all that terribly "shreddy" even. I don't know. I'm usually one to give the benefit of the doubt, but this is a bit of a stretch for me.
Old 07-02-2019, 01:36 PM   #25
wpugh2424
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post

What was wrong with original Shredder 2003 season 1? homage to warriors of the past.

What was wrong with Tengu Shredder? I mean, seriously. all of those are superior to this noisy mess.

or is there some un written rule that we can only dislike past versions and praise whatever new mess is around just because it's current and nick gods are watching?
Cyber shredder still needs to be made
Old 07-02-2019, 04:03 PM   #26
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Quote:

WTH isn't wrong with that busy design.

Look at that over-designed ********, it's such a wannabe edgy design, you'd think it was designed by a 13 year old on deviant art thinking it's badass and something Shredder should don as a "true" armor.

Quote:
Never been a fan of Shredder being in a full suit of armor, he's a agile ninja. Sure this Shredder was a brain alien inside a robot inside a suit of armor, but Shredder But What If A Knight isn't interesting design, and red eyes cause EEEEEEVIIIL

Quote:
A lot.

Like, cranking the 2003 armor up to 11 with a eeeevil cape, bigger shoulder blades, eyes gotta glow red now and a chain over his chest...? What is this Shredder!Spawn

Quote:
sure, that is it, stick your head in the sand from the dumb design choices and sing lalala. Of course I just hate on the old stuff and always loved aforementioned designs until Nick came along That's why Mirage and FW was on my short list... Oh wait

It's not like I've always disliked a heavily armor Shredder or whatevs.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 04:46 PM   #27
DevilSpooky
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Look at that over-designed ********, it's such a wannabe edgy design, you'd think it was designed by a 13 year old on deviant art thinking it's badass and something Shredder should don as a "true" armor.

Never been a fan of Shredder being in a full suit of armor, he's a agile ninja. Sure this Shredder was a brain alien inside a robot inside a suit of armor, but Shredder But What If A Knight isn't interesting design, and red eyes cause EEEEEEVIIIL
How can someone say this and defend the Rise design? It's exactly what you think was wrong with those past designs...

- Over-designed;
- wannabe edgy design;
- full suit of armor and not an agile ninja;
- red eyes;

seriously, it has it all for crying out loud...
Old 07-02-2019, 04:49 PM   #28
Chris
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpugh2424 View Post
wish I could say rise is awesome really do
just not my cup of tea either

all the best to those that love it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roseangelo View Post
I don’t mind this figure because I don’t want it and I am ok with that.
This is pretty much my position as well. I decided long ago that Rise wasn’t really for me. I was curious about how Shredder would look, and yeah, not really for me either. But that’s cool. I’ve had plenty of incarnations of TMNT I Live I can sit this one out (and in terms of collectibles my wallet is grateful for that tbh).
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 04:53 PM   #29
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilSpooky View Post
How can someone say this and defend the Rise design? It's exactly what you think was wrong with those past designs...

- Over-designed;
- wannabe edgy design;
- full suit of armor and not an agile ninja;
- red eyes;

seriously, it has it all for crying out loud...
Reading comprehension, my dude:
Quote:
Sure, it's not a very appealing costume, but it's no dumber looking then Tengu Shredder's outfit, FF Cyber Shredder, SotO Super Shredder, Next Mutation Shredder, 2012 Mutant Shredder, 2003 Ch'rell's default Shredder outfit, SuperMutant Shredder (anime) or both Bay-Shredder looks.
“it's not a very appealing costume, but it's no dumber looking then...”
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 07:41 PM   #30
Coro
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
This is pretty much my position as well. I decided long ago that Rise wasn’t really for me. I was curious about how Shredder would look, and yeah, not really for me either. But that’s cool. I’ve had plenty of incarnations of TMNT I Live I can sit this one out (and in terms of collectibles my wallet is grateful for that tbh).

I mean this line is pretty ugly all around except the turtles for me. I actually liked the teaser designs of the turtles until the show aired. Then Leo only had 1 sword, Mikey lost the chucks, etc, etc, but the general design and asthetic of the turtles themselves were good. I even liked April and Splinter designs, but good god everything else about all of it is terrible...

Eventually when the 4 turtles go on super clearance I will own them cause I think they look cool, but meh for me otherwise....good for those that do I guess.

Coro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 09:02 PM   #31
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Is that kind of thing a pre-order or do people just have to hope to be lucky enough to get it at the Con?

Just wondering because I already came across it on eBay and wondered how that seller is so confident that they'll even get it in hand.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 10:03 PM   #32
Roseangelo
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Is that kind of thing a pre-order or do people just have to hope to be lucky enough to get it at the Con?

Just wondering because I already came across it on eBay and wondered how that seller is so confident that they'll even get it in hand.
That's pretty common for SDCC exclusives. Some people spend their entire time at the show acquiring exclusives to flip. I don't expect demand for this figure to be so high that it will be too hard to get. The only time they really messed up was with the Usagi figure a couple years ago.
Roseangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 02:55 AM   #33
ProactiveMan
Spooky ghost

It may show up at retail in some form or another too. I bought the SDCC vac-metal 2014 Shredder from a local department store.
Old 07-03-2019, 04:32 PM   #34
cloud
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unworthy tinker View Post
...I think it's cool...
Yeah, the design could be better, but, buuut, how often does Playmates have an original sculpt for their exclusives? This sucker is six inches, which y'know, when, at least in recent years, has Playmates been consistent with scaling? Given that, I wonder if maybe, it won't get a store release? And truly is a SDCC exclusive? Because he's not standard size, and not a repaint.
(Watch. I'm gonna eat my words and he'll get a scaled down release with less paint somehow.)
Damn if they didn't put in some effort though. The design lacking isn't Playmates' problem, they're just the ones who put it into toy form. So for once, my hat goes off to them.
I think this is mostly a preview figure because Shredder is being teased in the finale and will be showing up in the future. That being said, it's probably based on a concert art or flashback sequence in the show? I don't have TV so I don't follow the show.
cloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 11:58 AM   #35
drag0nfeathers
Stone Warrior

I have nothing positive to add to this thread that hasn't already been said. Every time I try and give Rise a change they serve me another gut punch for trying... This Shreddder is certainly one of those "FINISH HIM!" Mortal Kombat fatalities for me.

I don't understand what they are doing here... a nicely designed Shredder may have made this series a lot more watchable. You could still be unique and edgy and all of those things. I understand this show is meant to introduce a lot of fresh ideas, but that thing looks like a totally unappealing monstrosity of mish mashed shapes that don't even aesthetically flow well. He's a crab monster... a metal robot crab monster. *face palm*

I'm hanging onto the hope that MAYBE Rise Shredder is going to just be a character that doesn't translate well to action figure form and the actual animation will be a lot better.

Thank you to evan2000 for the AWESOME gif! <3
drag0nfeathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 03:38 PM   #36
ZacksSoUgly
Foot Soldier

The more I look at it the more I like it.

What we know of Rise Shredder so far, he's some sort of ancient warrior or spirit whose soul or essence is connected to some lost pieces of mystical armor. If the Foot Clan collect said pieces of armor they can resurrect Shredder. Splinter (aka Lou Jitsu) is a descendant of a long line of warrior monks whose job is to make sure the armor is never collected. Splinter became a lazy jerk once Lou Jitsu became a movie star and he's been lagging on his duties, and now the Foot are close to reviving Shredder.

Personally, I'm ok with this fresh take and curious to see where it goes. This toy looks pretty rad to me. For starters, I'm a sucker for translucent components on toys so I'm digging that aspect. The mix of the translucent pieces with the metallic pieces definitely sell the vibe of "ancient, mystic armor" (to me, at least). I'm cool with his head/face having a demon/dragon-esque appearance as I've always appreciated when Shredder evokes that type of vibe (IDW comics, especially). With ALL THAT being said, we're talking about Playmates here and I have a hard time trusting them to cook up a figure that's going to look like its animated counterpart on the first try. I would not be surprised IN THE SLIGHTEST if the Shredder doesn't even end up looking like this in the show. Or maybe, since he's all mystical and s*** he'll have the ability to shape shift?

Long story longer, I'll be going after one if I make it into SDCC. Hope everyone is having a good 4th of July.
Kevin Eastman Interview

TMNT Collecting Social Media
Instagram : @ZOSOtmnt
ZacksSoUgly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 04:12 PM   #37
cloud
Stone Warrior

Sometimes it's too early to judge something based on a picture or a online report.
Wait until we get better information. I think Rise is a fun show that tried to be different than the past. Not edgy but rather more modern to keep in times with the rest of the kids show these days. You don't have to like it. Just learn to appreciate what it is.
cloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 09:12 AM   #38
sdp
Megan Fox = April

So this is the first reveal of a Rise Shredder? I don't hate it, I would've wanted something different in this version. 2012, PDs, hell even 2k3 to an extent had crazy shredders that didn't fit very well.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 10:02 AM   #39
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Considering how big Raph is, obviously Shredder needs to be larger to be intimidating.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 08:19 PM   #40
Coro
Mad Scientist

The funny part will be when hes on screen and we see that it was really just Playmates that screwed up the sculpting.
Hes probably super cool in the show.

Coro is offline   Reply With Quote