The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Nick TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Old 05-06-2017, 01:25 PM   #21
GoldMutant
Control Your Narrative

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Super Shredder only appeared in about 6 episodes from what I recall, it's not like he was overused in this form either.
5 episodes as I said. (If you count the first glimpse of mutating in Insecta Trifecta, then six.)
  • The Super Shredder
  • Darkest Plight
  • The Tale of Tiger Claw (brief cameo)
  • Requiem
  • Owari
Old 05-06-2017, 06:14 PM   #22
MCLeo28
Hench Mutant

I think it was done very effectively since it was symbolic of Shredder's transformation into a monster in a literal sense and effectively showed how deranged and obsessed Shredder was with pursuing his revenge; even going as far as to turn into something he loathed the most. It was handled very well and was effectively illustrated from his debut up until his final battle with the turtles.
Old 05-06-2017, 07:11 PM   #23
ABrown
Banned

Personally, I think Super Shredder was a perfect fit for this series. I think he was a better fit than regular Shredder was.
ABrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 08:29 PM   #24
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrown View Post
Personally, I think Super Shredder was a perfect fit for this series.
Seeing as how every human in the show either becomes a mutant or has some mutagen origins, of course. There was never a doubt in my mind we'd eventually see SuperShredder.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 11:24 PM   #25
DestronMirage22
Yukipedia

Seemed pretty unnecessary to me.
But I guess they did it to make people care more for him before his untimely demise (and like that lasted long).
And also for the most important reason these days: to sell more toys.
DestronMirage22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 03:41 PM   #26
kelligrafie
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by DestronMirage22 View Post
But I guess they did it to make people care more for him before his untimely demise (and like that lasted long).
I dunno, I mean he turned on Karai. He took away his ability to feel emotion and therefore removed the last of his humanity, the one thing that gave him the slightest chance of redemption.

After that nobody in the audience could genuinely feel sorry for him, because there wasn't enough human in him to be pitied.

At least like people say, it was covered in five episodes so if you didn't like Super Shredder, it wasn't dragged out over infinite episodes like 'the' love triangle.
Old 05-08-2017, 08:08 PM   #27
THGhost
Puppet Master

Not particularly. He had to evolve somehow.

1990 > OotS > TMNT 2014 > Turtles Forever > TMNT III > SotO > TMNT 2007

"Can't we all just get along?" - pennydreadful

"...bitchy people are what make fan forums insufferable when they don't need to be." - B-Man

"Act like freakin' adults for goodness sake." - Jester

"Tough guys with tiny voices." - Commenter 42
THGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 10:09 AM   #28
Tetsu Deinonychus
The Iron Dinosaur

I could have done without it, but I don't mind that they did it.

I guess the "becoming a monster" thing makes it work.
Tetsu Deinonychus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 10:37 AM   #29
MCLeo28
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelligrafie View Post
I dunno, I mean he turned on Karai. He took away his ability to feel emotion and therefore removed the last of his humanity, the one thing that gave him the slightest chance of redemption.

After that nobody in the audience could genuinely feel sorry for him, because there wasn't enough human in him to be pitied.

At least like people say, it was covered in five episodes so if you didn't like Super Shredder, it wasn't dragged out over infinite episodes like 'the' love triangle.
Well that's the point. The audience can reconcile with something that has been established over the course of the series, the fact that he's pure evil and a monster which made it imperative that Shredder was stopped once and for all.

Don't tell me that Shredder's conflict of being a monster (brought up by Leo) in Owari isn't a memorable sequence, it certainly was and showed some remorse and humanity on Shredder's part.
Old 05-13-2017, 10:44 AM   #30
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

I wasn't a fan of it, and I thought the design was a bit on the sillier side of Nick TMNT monster designs. but, at least it was handled well enough story-wise.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 03:08 PM   #31
BubblyShell22
Leo-holic

No, I think it was necessary to show how far Shredder stooped to get his revenge by becoming the thing he despised the most. He wanted to eliminate his enemies and he felt the best way to do it was to become more powerful as a mutant and possible remain on equal footing with the Turtles in a way.

"Embrace your inner a**holiness."-Mr. Anderson.
BubblyShell22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 02:46 PM   #32
myconius
Abby Normal

Location: the grave marked "Unknown" right beside Arch Stanton.
i agree with those saying that Mutating Shredder was unnecessary.

if the Turtles had a hard time beating the Shredder as a human, having them fight a monstrous Super Shredder was just overkill.

the only way the Turtles should have been able to defeat Super Shredder would have been by feeding him those Hostess Turtle Pies from the 90's.
Old 05-25-2017, 02:54 PM   #33
CyberCubed
Overlord

The way the Turtles were shown beating Super Shredder worked well. They used his huge bulking size against him and it was obvious he couldn't use any of his ninjitsu moves in his mutated form, so it's believeable they were able to defeat him while they had trouble when he was human.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 11:17 PM   #34
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
The way the Turtles were shown beating Super Shredder worked well. They used his huge bulking size against him and it was obvious he couldn't use any of his ninjitsu moves in his mutated form, so it's believeable they were able to defeat him while they had trouble when he was human.
I don't know the dude was really agile despite his hulking size, we saw him do kicks and jumps during his final encounter with the turtles. Hell you can barely say he lost any agility from his new form since this Shredder wasn't really much of a flashy fighter only using strikes and grabs.
Old 05-25-2017, 11:37 PM   #35
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by PApagreg View Post
I don't know the dude was really agile despite his hulking size, we saw him do kicks and jumps during his final encounter with the turtles. Hell you can barely say he lost any agility from his new form since this Shredder wasn't really much of a flashy fighter only using strikes and grabs.
In the beginning of Requeim, he showed that he has all of ninjitsu skills intact when he fought against the Karai hologram. Super Shredder was an upgrade from normal Shredder in every way physically but lost all of his morality.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 11:44 PM   #36
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
In the beginning of Requeim, he showed that he has all of ninjitsu skills intact when he fought against the Karai hologram. Super Shredder was an upgrade from normal Shredder in every way physically but lost all of his morality.
What morality, the dude was willing to sacrifice the Earth just to fulfill his petty revenge, the dude was pretty much irredeemable by the middle of season 3.
Old 05-25-2017, 11:53 PM   #37
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by myconius View Post
i agree with those saying that Mutating Shredder was unnecessary.

if the Turtles had a hard time beating the Shredder as a human, having them fight a monstrous Super Shredder was just overkill.

the only way the Turtles should have been able to defeat Super Shredder would have been by feeding him those Hostess Turtle Pies from the 90's.
In the beginning of season 1, they definetly got completely destroyed by him in their first confrontation but it didn't stay that way throughout the series. As time went on, they were able to get more hits on him. It didn't get to the point of them easily beating Shredder like the orignal cartoon, but you could definetly notice when by season 3, Leonardo was usually the one to fight Shredder single handedly and even managed to hold his own.

To me, Super Shredder made sense because by the end of season 4, the turtles had significantly improved in their ninja skills and had already fought so many dangerous enemies like Lord Dregg, the Triceratons, Kraang Subprime, giant 80s Krang, the Mega Shredder, Armaggon that Regular Shredder would've seemed somewhat underwhelming compared to them.
Old 05-25-2017, 11:57 PM   #38
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by PApagreg View Post
What morality, the dude was willing to sacrifice the Earth just to fulfill his petty revenge, the dude was pretty much irredeemable by the middle of season 3.
What I mean is that in season 3 as a human, he still had the capability to turn his ways but by the time he mutated, he was a mindless monster incapable of emotional reaction.
Old 05-26-2017, 01:12 PM   #39
victory_angel
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
What I mean is that in season 3 as a human, he still had the capability to turn his ways but by the time he mutated, he was a mindless monster incapable of emotional reaction.
Exactly. Splinter would never really kill Shredder, the only times he attempted to do so was during Showdown and Owari. The other confrontations he has left Shredder alive partly because he is the only person from his past he truely has left. Yes there is Karai, but Karai was only a baby when Splinter knew her so she's just as much as a nuance in his life as the Turtles where she is currently.

Splinter also allows Shredder to live so that Karma can run its course or he still has some chance of seeking to redeem some honor, which would likely be performing sepuku.
Old 05-26-2017, 02:48 PM   #40
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by victory_angel View Post
Exactly. Splinter would never really kill Shredder, the only times he attempted to do so was during Showdown and Owari. The other confrontations he has left Shredder alive partly because he is the only person from his past he truely has left. Yes there is Karai, but Karai was only a baby when Splinter knew her so she's just as much as a nuance in his life as the Turtles where she is currently.

Splinter also allows Shredder to live so that Karma can run its course or he still has some chance of seeking to redeem some honor, which would likely be performing sepuku.
It is also worth noting that Splinters first reaction upon seeing Super Shredder was to respond with concern and offer to help him end his mutation, to which Shredder refused and attacked him.

I think the final nail in the coffin was in Requiem when Shredder's evil had taken him so far that he ordered Stockman to inject him with more mutagen that would ultimately destroy all emotional reaction within. That way, he had given up his soul for good and essentially was nothing but a mindless killing machine.

In his final confrontation with Leonardo, the Shredder seemed to hesitate when Leonardo asked him whether his destiny was to be a monster but then immediately started attacking again impulsively. Its as if his soul deep down was trapped and suffering in hell, unable to affect his body and regretful, but it was far too late to change as his body had become what his spirit was throughout the series, the embodiment of evil.