The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Toys and Collectibles

Notices

Old 07-09-2009, 08:14 AM   #1
Patraw
Stone Warrior

Post your recent non-TMNT customs

Seeing as how we post TMNT customs in the TMNT toys & collectibles section, I think it's appropriate to post non-TMNT customs here. I'll start it off with my most recent works:

Flowering Cactoid (PS2: Final Fantasy 12)

More photos/information.

Chocobot (Gameboy: Final Fantasy Adventure/Seiken Densetsu: Final Fantasy Gaiden)

More photos/information.

NapalmMan.EXE (Gameboy Advance: Mega Man Battle Network 2/5)

More photos/information.

Launch Octopus (SNES: Mega Man X)

More photos/information.

Sargasso, The Queen of Kelp (Original)

More photos/information.
Old 07-09-2009, 02:26 PM   #2
Ninjinister
無問題

I was just thinking about a thread like this since I'm actually working on some non-TMNT customs for once.

Great stuff. The Chocobot is from the GameBoy FFs, you say? I thought they were a joint venture between Mattel and the Mars company! But seriously, I've never seen one before. That's probably my favorite of 'em all... a MechaWark!
Old 07-10-2009, 08:11 AM   #3
Patraw
Stone Warrior

Chocobot is from the Gameboy Final Fantasy Adventure game (also remade recently as Sword of Mana for the GBA), which is actually the first installment in the Mana (Seiken Densetsu) series of games. Chocobot, NapalmMan.EXE, and Launch Octopus were my three entries for the recent robot/cyborg contest at Figure Realm.com. Sargasso was my entry for the previous contest at the same site (original characters theme), and Flowering Cactoid I made just for the heck of it.
Old 07-14-2009, 01:19 PM   #4
Ninjinister
無問題

I need to get better pics, 'cause I snapped these off in the wee mornin' hours before I dashed off to work, and they didn't come out as expected - even with compared to other pics I've done with this phone.

Godfather William

William is a character from a story I once did. He's a yakuza boss in the Northwestern U.S. He prefers to be called 'godfather' rather than the traditional 'oyabun' for some reason.

Parts used:
Foot Soldier (2003, Playmates) Body
Casey Jones (2003, Playmates) Head
Leonardo (2003, Playmates) Swords
Karai (2007, Playmates) Loincloth
Longer hair, boots, and wrist guards sculpted with Mighty Putty

EDIT: BETTER PICTURES!

Last edited by Ninjinister; 07-14-2009 at 06:20 PM.
Ninjinister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 08:09 AM   #5
Patraw
Stone Warrior

William is a pretty cool looking character--is he finished? If so, the paintwork is pretty basic; again, I'd suggest some washes or dry brushing to kick things up a notch. The white areas would probably look neat with some kind of pattern on them too (dragons, or whatever). The Yakuza are well known for their elaborate tattoos as well (although they generally cover them in public), that might be another idea for spicing up the appearance on the arms.

Here's another quick one I recently finished, a 'Mammon' from Final Fantasy IV.

More photos/information.
Old 07-17-2009, 02:19 AM   #6
Wes
Mad Scientist

Those look great, Patraw! I'm still waiting for some kind of a tutorial from you regarding the creation of these things.

Ninjinister: I like your interesting custom as well! He kinda reminds me of a Mortal Kombat character.

* Scary-Crayon * Wesoteric * Chew your gum properly, ok?

Aaand... Technodrome buy/sell/trade thread here!
Wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 02:54 AM   #7
Ninjinister
無問題

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patraw View Post
William is a pretty cool looking character--is he finished? If so, the paintwork is pretty basic; again, I'd suggest some washes or dry brushing to kick things up a notch. The white areas would probably look neat with some kind of pattern on them too (dragons, or whatever).
Yeah, he's finished. I've got a bit of light gray accented areas that's hard to tell from the pics, but I didn't want to do a wash or drybrush. I'm trying my first wash job on the figure I'm doing now.

Quote:
The Yakuza are well known for their elaborate tattoos as well (although they generally cover them in public), that might be another idea for spicing up the appearance on the arms.
His tattoo is... well... telling would be a spoiler XD

Mammon and Chuck are cool. Decap Attack kind of miffed me since it was basically Sega ripping off their own awesome game (Psycho Fox on the Master System), but it wasn't overall terrible. I always thought the face-on-the gut that shot out was creepy as Hell. I like how your figure's more stylized after the in-game sprite than the cover.
Old 02-02-2021, 04:06 AM   #8
Walkabout
Stone Warrior

I had no idea that there ended up being so many of those LJN figures!

From memory, I had Big John Studd, Hulk Hogan (yellow), Hillbilly Jim, King Kong Bundy, Paul Orndorff and the Junkyard Dog.

I also liked the Hasbro line in the early 90s, only had a few though- Macho King, Big Boss Man, and Brutus the Barber Beefcake.
I had a friend who had the ring and a ton of them though.
I always wanted The Million Dollar Man!
Walkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 07:45 AM   #9
Leo656
The Franchise

I know! There's about 65 individual characters/sculpts in the LJN WWF line and about 70 figures altogether, counting repaints for guys like Hogan with shirt, S.D. Jones, and the Referee. Everyone except the British Bulldogs was available on a single card, with them being the only Tag Team Exclusive. It's pretty overwhelming! Even with a good number of the earlier ones being more common, it'll take me years to collect them all, I figure.

I love the WWF Hasbros as well, I have a lot more of those. Still missing a bunch of them from the later sets but I think I have like 3/4s of the line. I think Million Dollar Man is still fairly common as he was an earlier figure; finding him with the Million Dollar Belt might be tricky, though.

My Hasbro ring is very beat-up from all the use it got, but I recently got some repro stickers and new ropes, so I plan on doing a full restoration in the near future. That'll be fun.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 06:45 AM   #10
Walkabout
Stone Warrior

I was going to start collecting the Hasbro figures around 10 years ago, there was a nice big lot going pretty cheap and I figured that would be a good "in" but I talked myself out of it.

Postage to Australia from the US is really bloody expensive these days and there's extra charges on top...of course all the good toys are in the USA, we always get dicked down here, especially back in the 80s and 90s so you don't see them pop up.

The same went for the WWF itself...VHS tapes and the one match the TV would have on Sunday!
Walkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 05:46 PM   #11
Leo656
The Franchise

Been working on touching up a few of my WWF LJN figures.

Here's some Before and After shots of Jake "The Snake" Roberts:

I wasn't able to find paint that color-matched perfectly, but I like this better anyway.

Here's some Before and After on The Ultimate Warrior:

Old 05-15-2021, 01:54 AM   #12
Leo656
The Franchise

Man, I really gotta start posting stuff on my Instagram so it won't disappear. Sorry!

Anyways, I did some more fix-ups on some of my WWF LJN figures. Mostly simple stuff this time but I still did a full repaint on everything even when the figures only needed a touch-up here and there. I like the paint to be uniform. Most of the stuff that needed fixing was just the hair and eyebrows but there were a lot of little rub spots everywhere that needed smoothing out, anyway, even if the pics don't really show it. So even if you can't tell, each of these guys got a full top-to-bottom repaint.

Here's a Before and After on Magnificent Muraco:

Ricky "The Dragon" Steamboat:

Captain Lou Albano:

And finally, Hillbilly Jim:

Jim's the only one I did any real tinkering with. His outfit wasn't too badly-scuffed aside from the boots, so I maybe could have just done those and his hair and called it a day, but I really didn't like how the original paint job just ignored the buttons, clasps, and the bandanna in his pocket, simply painting all of it solid blue. So I went over all the details on his overalls with gold and painted the bandanna in his back pocket red, and it looks a LOT better just with that little bit of extra detail.

Lots of these figures had that problem, where they'd have very detailed sculpts but the lazy paint job would hide a lot of it. Since most of these figures are so hard to collect (not this batch, though; these are all common and cheap guys) I generally just try and restore them to looking as they did in the package and not deviate too much. But sometimes I can't help it and I just have to "fix" little things like that because I know it'll look better that way.

I'm not a huge fan of how plain that Steamboat figure is, though (even though it made for a very quick and easy repaint). So one of my next projects will be to buy another one and give him his red tights and headband.

I'm working on another half-dozen or so at the moment, but these are all I've gotten finished with so far. I really like working on these because they're so easy. It's good practice since you can't really screw anything up.

Old 06-08-2021, 07:39 PM   #13
Leo656
The Franchise

Been doing some more LJN work. I finally finished restoring my Hart Foundation, including some custom belts I bought off eBay to replace the stock ones.

Before:

After:

Anvil:

Bret:

Old 06-08-2021, 08:16 PM   #14
Leo656
The Franchise

I also did a full restoration on a beat-up Hogan I got for like $5. I swore I took a Before pic, but I can't find it now. The thing was covered in black marks, almost all of the paint was rubbed off, and some of the rubber looked like it'd been chewed off. So after a hot bath, a deep scrub with nail polish remover, and a total repaint, I got a pretty good 1985 "Blue Trunks" Hogan out of it:

This is a rather common repaint people do of this figure, but I added some details most people don't bother with. For one, I painted the laces white (technically, I painted the boots all-white and then painted around the laces in light blue), and to give the hair and facial hair some texture I painted it in gold and then dry-brushed some pale yellow over it.

But the big thing is the lettering on the headband. Most people, if they bother with that logo, they use a decal. But I managed to nail it free-hand on the first try. Really happy about that.