The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Fan Creations > Fan Works Discussion

Notices

Old 05-23-2020, 09:36 AM   #1
PizzaPower1985
Stone Warrior

My Ideas For a Darker Re-imagining of TMNT

-- INTENDED FOR MATURE AUDIENCES --

These are some ideas I had to reinterpret the TMNT into (possibly) an even darker origin story than we got in the original Mirage books. I considered these ideas (but ultimately DID NOT use them and went more traditional) when crafting my fan-fiction (-- SHAMELESS PLUG -- link in my sig.) These ideas are, admittedly, a reaction to the more juvenile turn that the franchise as a whole has taken since Nickelodeon (Viacom) has owned it. WARNING: these ideas may be sacrilege to you but remember, they are a complete reboot across the board. And it's a what-if.

Okay, here are my ideas:

In Japan, it is the year 1967 a man named Hamato Yoshi is ousted from his clan of Ninja (The Foot, a clan of noble warriors who combat crime on the streets of Tokyo), after it is overthrown and taken over by his rival, Oroku Saki, leader of a clan called Shadoudoragon (The Shadow Dragons). Saki, rapes and kills Yoshi's young bride, Teng Shen and threatens to kill Yoshi if he does not leave Japan.

With Yoshi's clan shattered, he flees to New York city and struggles on the streets for a while before finally earning enough $$$ to open a dojo where he begins teaching various martial arts. There, he meets a student named Aika Matsui, a Japanese American art teacher at Columbia University, taking martial arts classes for self defense. They fall in love and in 1969 give birth to quadruplet twins. Aika decides to name them after her four favorite Renaissance artists but, due to complications, she dies in childbirth. This sends Yoshi into severe depression but with four new mouths to feed he buries himself in his work.

Years pass and by 1975 Yoshi's dojo, which he dubs, The Foot Institute of Martial Arts, in honor of his old clan, has become a moderately successful martial arts studio and dojo in NYC. His boys are now 6 years old and they begin training with their father. Yoshi himself is now middle-aged, about 45.

On the way home from his dojo to their modest apartment on the Lower East Side, Yoshi witnesses a mob hit, a wealthy family, a couple and their son, is gunned down in a lonely alley. In shock, Yoshi races back to his apartment where his boys are waiting and playing with their turtles, Domino and Caesar, but the 2 gunmen that killed the family follow him. Not wanting to leave any witnesses, they try to kill Yoshi and his 4 sons. The little boys called Raphael and Michelangelo are shot up and bleeding to death but Yoshi and his other sons, Leonardo and Donatello disarm and kill the hitmen before they can do anymore damage. In a panic, Yoshi and his two sons carry Michelangelo and Raphael out to the street, in the dead of night, in search of an ambulance. A freak traffic accident involving a truck of chemicals and a semi causes a barrel labeled "TCRI" to spill over. Several small canisters of a mysterious green substance shatter into the street, splashing Yoshi and his sons. By the time the ambulance arrives the wounds that "Mikey" and "Raph" have sustained are completely healed. Yoshi is amazed and the EMT's recommend going to the hospital for checkups and to get those chemicals washed off. Refusing treatment, Yoshi takes his boys home and cleans them up. Fishing a rat out of the tub, Yoshi is bitten before he kills the rat and flushes it down the toilet. Within minutes of cleaning up Yoshi leaves the bathroom and finds his sons mutated into humanoid turtles, each about 5' 4'' tall, built and muscular. The shock sends Yoshi into a mutation of his own, a rat. Realizing that the world will not accept them, Yoshi takes his sons to a nearby sewer where they scavenge for food and continue their training. Though each turtle is proficient in most fighting styles, EACH IS GIVEN A BANDANA TO WEAR AND WEAPONS. Raph = RED Bandana with Sais, LEO = BLUE Bandana with twin ninjato, MIKEY = WHITE Bandana with nunchucks, DONATELLO = BLACK Bandana with bo-staff... The rat soon dubs himself Splinter in honor of an old master he once had in Japan. Soon after, Splinter sends his sons out nightly to "fight crime and help those in need" as a way to honor the activities of his old clan.

One night in 1984 a pregnant punk rock girl and her boyfriend, university students April O'neil and Casey Jones, are walking home from a punk show at a local club called The Arm-Pit when they are mugged. Casey fights a few of them off, but is knocked out and April is nearly abducted when the turtles fight off the band of attackers. They take April and Casey down to sewer, showing Splinter the insignia ripped off the attacker's shirt. It is the symbol of Yoshi's old clan, The Foot. Casey wakes up and Splinter instructs his sons to "find The Foot Clan and destroy them." They do so and Casey tags along. He wants vengeance for the attack on his pregnant girlfriend. Splinter stays behind to treat April's minor injuries but the stress of the attack forces her into labor. The TMNT stop off at Casey/April's apartment briefly so Casey can "gear up." The TMNT with Casey Jones track the Foot Clan to an old warehouse where they confront Saki, now called The Shredder. An epic battle ensues with TMNT killing and maiming many of The Foot Clan. The Shredder and his elite guards escape after injuring the turtles and Casey. The team makes it back to the sewer where April and Splinter are caring for the newborn whom they name Shadow Jones. The turles tell the story of The Shredder to Yoshi, who recognizes the name "Shredder" as an alias of Saki from years before. The rat vows vengeance and to one day kill The Shredder.

THOUGHTS?

Last edited by PizzaPower1985; 06-06-2020 at 05:08 AM.
PizzaPower1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 12:01 PM   #2
The Great Saiyaman
Stone Warrior

Sounds good, I wouldn't mind reading a full story based on that premise.
Old 05-24-2020, 05:22 AM   #3
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Good, but it should be exposure to the mutagen that mutates, not a shock.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 02:02 PM   #4
ZariusTwo
Overlord

I'm interested in the different bandanas for Mikey and Don for some reason
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 05:25 PM   #5
PizzaPower1985
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
I'm interested in the different bandanas for Mikey and Don for some reason
I had that idea after a friend pointed out to me that red and blue bandanas are a common trope in Western ninja fiction/Hong Kong movies. The other more common bandana colors are black and white. My friend suggested that black and white bandanas could or should have been the original colors selected by the creators of the 80's toyline/cartoon for Mikey and Don because it would have been more accurate to ninja tropes as well as more of a masculine thing for the male/boy audience. In this outline I gave Mikey the white headband because he's the light/fun loving turtle. Donnie got the black because he's got a darker skin tone in most incarnations that I care about so...

Just an idea.
Old 05-27-2020, 05:29 PM   #6
PizzaPower1985
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
Good, but it should be exposure to the mutagen that mutates, not a shock.
Well, it was the exposure to the mutagen ultimately that transformed Yoshi, but the shock of seeing his boys was the catalyst to have it happen immediately after being bitten by a rat.