The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 09-02-2015, 01:28 PM   #1
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Nickelodeon Revivals Coming

Quote:
Nickelodeon is looking to revisit some of its classic shows, from before the time of “SpongeBob SquarePants” and “Dora the Explorer.”

“We are looking at our library to bring back ideas,” Russell Hicks, the cable channel’s president of content and development, tells Variety, “shows that were loved, in a fresh new way.”

He’s talking about the era of “Rugrats,” “Doug,” “You Can’t Do That on Television” and “Hey Arnold!” According to the website, the plan would see some classics retooled, not necessarily as series but possibly as specials or TV movies.

Hicks wouldn’t reveal which shows are under consideration, but noted that a lot of viewers who grew up watching Nickelodeon now have children of their own. “We are getting ready to bring back some of the ones they’ve told us multiple times they want to have brought back,”he said.

http://spinoff.comicbookresources.co...classic-shows/
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 01:50 PM   #2
NinjaPug
Foot Elite

I could go for some new episodes of Doug
NinjaPug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 01:57 PM   #3
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

I thought Disney owned the rights to Doug after Nick sold it following the completion of the syndication package. Disney could have used it to its heart content and is done with it only to sake it back like the Power Rangers intellectusl property, but I suspect if this is for real unlike rumors of the past I think Hey Arnold getting a proper conclusion would be the first up. Also any other show that had some level of popularity and needed a proper bookend.

I have no memory of a show called You Cant Do That On Television. I am very familar with 99s Nick content having sampled most of its offerings at the very least and that does not ring a bell.
Old 09-02-2015, 02:06 PM   #4
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Perhaps they could use the Rugrats revival to retcon AGU?
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 02:07 PM   #5
Icebot
Foot Elite

Disney had their own Doug series which came after the Nickelodeon one.
Icebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 02:11 PM   #6
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Thats because You Cant Do That... was from the 80s. Its from the early days of Nick, and Id love to see it revisited! Especially if they do an original cast reunion or something.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 05:57 PM   #7
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
Thats because You Cant Do That... was from the 80s. Its from the early days of Nick, and Id love to see it revisited! Especially if they do an original cast reunion or something.
I was thinking it was refering to shows thst began to air between 1991-1999 . The show going furthest back that I remember was reruns of Welcome Freshmen that introduced the green slime gimmick to the network. It will be interesting to see what they do. Maybe it be within the The 90's Are All That programing block.
Old 09-02-2015, 07:30 PM   #8
drgon78
Mad Scientist

What, no Rocko's Modern Life or Aaahh!!! Real Monsters?
drgon78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 07:44 PM   #9
Powder
So tired of this place

It's for the best that Rocko remain in the past. Part of it's charm was that it got away with so much f**ked up stuff that would in no way fly nowadays.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 09:38 PM   #10
sdp
Megan Fox = April

I think most of these shows are best left in the past and I loved most of them. They'd just be a shadow of their former selves and would be cancelled after one season or so. Rugrats would be the only exception since that was huge. I'd be ok with a CG Rugrats franchise, that's the only way I can see that coming back. Doug already got a sequel of sorts with the Disney episodes and we all saw how that turned out. I don't think it's awful but it just can't match the original since it was a product of its time. Disney's Doug did have a few gems here and there though.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 10:14 PM   #11
Wildcat
Foot Elite

They've had game shows revived. Figure it Out was the most recent I think. It was pretty much the same. Only lasted a couple seasons. Worst one was Family Guts. It was so boring.

I thought All Grown Up was kinda good. It'd be awesome if Rocko came back. Technology and stuff is so different now it'd be an even more modern life. this would be my number 1 choice for a comeback.

Second would probably be Kenan and Kel but from the looks of it Kenan doesn't really care about Kel or just wants to forget his Nick days. Either way it's pretty sad.
Old 09-02-2015, 10:26 PM   #12
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
They've had game shows revived. Figure it Out was the most recent I think. It was pretty much the same. Only lasted a couple seasons. Worst one was Family Guts. It was so boring.

I thought All Grown Up was kinda good. It'd be awesome if Rocko came back. Technology and stuff is so different now it'd be an even more modern life. this would be my number 1 choice for a comeback.

Second would probably be Kenan and Kel but from the looks of it Kenan doesn't really care about Kel or just wants to forget his Nick days. Either way it's pretty sad.
No, Kenan enjoyed his 6 to 7 years with the network that helped him become Master of The Absurd. He hosted The 90's Are All That block progaming and appeared as a guest star on a recent Nick show. Kel did audition alongside his real-life friend for SNL, but Michaels only chose Kenan. Its nothing on Kenan he is just too busy. A reunion special of the original cast of All That probably would not be out of the realm of possibility.

I would rather put the game shows behind. Double Dare revival did noit work and Figure It Out fared even worse. L3gends of The Hidden Temple or Nick Arcade would be cool to see revamped for modern audiences , but I doubt either would work.
Old 09-02-2015, 10:27 PM   #13
ssjup81
Foot Elite

I started a thread about You Can't Do That on Television...but it's buried here someplace. I just can't see a show like that being replicated. The charm of the show was that the kids were suffering from having to work on the show with sarcastic and ironic humor.

Personally, I feel the 1981 season was best...in its uncut Canadian form (no laugh track). After 1981, they started to cater to an American audience more. As a kid 1984's season was my favorite. As an adult, the 1979/1981 season I like. Just think...that and Pinwheel helped to really launch the network.

That aside, I honestly couldn't see most of those shows working...other than MAYbe Rugrats. I wouldn't mind a conclusion to Hey Arnold like originally planned. I'd like it to be somewhat like the original if rebooted...kids being kids, not hanging on their cell phones. Only character I don't mind with a phone is Rhonda....and Helga.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
I was thinking it was refering to shows thst began to air between 1991-1999 . The show going furthest back that I remember was reruns of Welcome Freshmen that introduced the green slime gimmick to the network. It will be interesting to see what they do. Maybe it be within the The 90's Are All That programing block.
I'll assume that's a typo. YCDTOTV introduced the slime thing.

Last edited by ssjup81; 09-02-2015 at 10:37 PM.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 10:31 PM   #14
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjup81 View Post
I started a thread about You Can't Do That on Television...but it's buried here someplace. I just can't see a show like that being replicated. Personally, I feel the 1981 season was best...in its uncut Canadian form. After 1981, the started to cater to an American audience more. As a kid 1984's season was my favorite. As an adult, the 1979/1981 season I like. Just think...that and Pinwheel helped to really launch the network.I'll assume that's a typo. YCDTOTV introduced the slime thing.
No, just playing of my memory. I thought it was WF. I am trying to remember television from when I was 3 and 4 years old. Maybe I blurred the 5wo together. I thought the same show tbe teens stood in lockers talking to each other was the same one that had this lihht blue background where teens were gaked.
Old 09-02-2015, 10:37 PM   #15
Wildcat
Foot Elite

Quote:
No, Kenan enjoyed his 6 to 7 years with the network that helped him become Master of The Absurd. He hosted The 90's Are All That block progaming and appeared as a guest star on a recent Nick show. Kel did audition alongside his real-life friend for SNL, but Michaels only chose Kenan. Its nothing on Kenan he is just too busy. A reunion special of the original cast of All That probably would not be out of the realm of possibility.

I would rather put the game shows behind. Double Dare revival did noit work and Figure It Out fared even worse. L3gends of The Hidden Temple or Nick Arcade would be cool to see revamped for modern audiences , but I doubt either would work.
I wasn't implying he didn't enjoy doing the show. I know they both auditioned for Snl and he hosted the 90s block. I've just read they're not close in real life. Not that everything that's said is true but even Kel said in some interview they're not exactly friends anymore.

Double Dare 2000 was good. It was the same except for the triple dare which was an optional challenge anyway. Nick Arcade would be awesome though with today's games.
Old 09-02-2015, 10:58 PM   #16
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Quote:
No, just playing of my memory. I thought it was WF. I am trying to remember television from when I was 3 and 4 years old. Maybe I blurred the 5wo together. I thought the same show tbe teens stood in lockers talking to each other was the same one that had this lihht blue background where teens were gaked.
Welcome Freshman was from the early 90s and was about a group of high school Freshmen (first year of high school), but it was a comedy show. The second season, none of them were Freshmen anymore, 'cept for...Wayne I think his name was. He failed so it starred him and introduced new kids.

You Can't Do That on Television started in 1979...but we never got that season. We started with the 1981 episodes. It was on until 1990 and in reruns until maybe 1993 or 1994. It was about a bunch of kids working on a comedy show. One of the trademarks of the show were the kids getting something dumped on them (water or slime) if they said something to trigger it. The humor was a bit self-depreciating at times.

Oh man! I can think of two things from this show that wouldn't fly today...

The execution attempt skits by El Capitan and the amigos.

The detention skits in the dungeon.

I don't think kids being in front of a firing squad or seeing them chained to a wall in the dungeon and tortured in some way (promise of food or TV or freedom) with a German dungeon master would fly. In the first season, they used the electric chair.

Last edited by ssjup81; 09-02-2015 at 11:06 PM.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 06:57 AM   #17
DarthRaphael

I want to see some people get slimed again.

I edit your posts
DarthRaphael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 08:00 AM   #18
Dr. Terminus
Foot Soldier

I might be the only person in this world who's over here like, "Can I have Eureekas Castle back?"
Dr. Terminus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 09:36 AM   #19
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

I guess I have seen both shows, but I was so young, I mean preschool age I barely remember them and seemed to have melded them together. Aside from the earliest Nick Jr. stuff I really don't know what would be in Nick pre-1991 with the launch of the first three cartoons. Salute Your Shorts and the Christine Taylor featured Hey Dude stood out to me more and had a longer syndicated run into the late 90s' despite being like 26 episodes each.

I read up on it after I read your post Wildcat, it seems the guys just went there separate ways. Maybe Kel is bitter for Kenan getting picked and him not and thus Kenan will have ongoing success while he just got a few bit parts. Its a shame. I admit I always preferred Kenan even as a kid, but I hoped for more for Kel since he is a nice guy and a hard worker.

It is kind of funny what Nicktoons were able to get away with in Ren & Stimpy and Rocko's Modern Life with bits and pieces and others shows while other networks had some restraint on them. Like how comedic elements chock held TMNT in particularly 1990-1992(seasons 4-6) while most of this was airing.
Old 09-03-2015, 12:55 PM   #20
Powder
So tired of this place

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthRaphael View Post
I want to see some people get slimed again.
They slime people every year at The Kids Choice Awards (but they're most certainly not worth watching...).

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote