The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Current Events

Notices

Old 11-27-2019, 07:27 AM   #1
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

2019–2020 Christmas and holiday season

The Christmas and holiday season is on its way once again. This is the thread where we talk about what we like with Christmas, traditions and celebrations.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 09:38 AM   #2
Prowler
Emperor

Already?! I feel like it was still summer until a couple of weeks ago and Christmas only like 4 months ago.

Christmas to me is like my birthday_ loved both when I was a kid and stopped caring about them when I turned 18. Nowadays my birthday is just another day on the calendar and Christmas means having to stock up on food because everything will close early on Christmas Eve and everything will be closed on Christmas Day. And then the same thing happens again on New Year's.

Stores and supermarkets in December are chaotic. I feel bad for people who work in retail during Christmas season.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 03:18 PM   #3
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

I miss some of the old movies/specials that used to be on back in the day. Ones like "The Night They Saved Christmas" (1984) and "It Nearly Wasn't Christmas" (1989). Thirty years later and I still have some of that tune in my head from the piano-playing father in that second one.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 11:23 PM   #4
Storm Eagle
Saved by

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post

Stores and supermarkets in December are chaotic. I feel bad for people who work in retail during Christmas season.
I almost had to experience that when I was working in retail at the department store, which I started in late August of 1999. Then I got myself fired from the place in late November of that year. I guess I dodged a bullet.

Thanksgiving happens around this time of year in the US (and happened yesterday), and that was the time when stores were closed. Now they're open on Thanksgiving and people actually take advantage of deals even on that day. So that really sucks for the people working in retail.
Storm Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 04:42 PM   #5
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

The only "positive" thing about working in retail around Thanksgiving, and Christmas, esp doing Black Friday, and now Thanksgiving is that they often have food for employees and the shared suffering is almost like a team building exercise. lol Esp if you had to close on Thanksgiving (prob around 1am) and open Black Friday (maybe around 6am), so you go home and either barely get to sleep or don't bother. Now that's painful. (When I've done that, they should have just let us all take a nap in the mattress dept and wake us up before it reopened. )

I've done my share of it. Am grateful not to have to deal with that now and actually get holidays off. Still had to work today and change my seasonal product over at one of my stores, but it was a Dollar Tree so thank god Black Friday isn't a thing there so it isn't so bad since most shoppers are elsewhere. If I had to do my Walmart, now that would be a different story... but they don't want vendors there and in the way on Black Friday and that's fine by me!
Old 12-02-2019, 10:45 AM   #6
Overlord

Holiday season

I don't care much about specific Christmas Day. It's the entire holiday season in general between late November and mid-January I enjoy.
Old 12-02-2019, 11:36 AM   #7
Prowler
Emperor

In less than a month we'll be as close to 2000 as to 2040.

In slightly over 5 years we'll be as close to 2000 as to 2050.

Food for thought.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 11:18 AM   #8
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
In less than a month we'll be as close to 2000 as to 2040.

In slightly over 5 years we'll be as close to 2000 as to 2050.

Food for thought.
Please start your own thread for that. We've already talked about that in so many other threads.
Old 12-24-2019, 09:09 PM   #9
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Merry Christmas you all, be it big or small, hope it's great for each and every one of you. Hope those missing family, friends, or pets have a peaceful holiday and keep the good memories in heart.

And maybe try to behave if politics comes up, eh? I feel for those politically divided families out there that will struggle to leave it alone given the events as of late. lol
Old 12-26-2019, 06:36 AM   #10
Voltron
Handsomest Boy in School

A late Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, and an early happy New Year! I hope you guys had the best one yet, but not half as good as next year's!

What did everyone get?
Old 12-26-2019, 07:52 PM   #11
Powder
So tired of this place

I'm just glad it's over. I'm not really a grinch, but my family can be, so it's a bit of a stressful, miserable month. My partner & I made the best of it, though.

I got a bunch of Godzilla vinyl toys & some PJ's, both always welcome. Looking forward to getting turned up with a few friends on NYE, I guess.

All the best to my dromie homies. <3

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 09:17 PM   #12
Storm Eagle
Saved by

All I got was this box of chocolates I talk about here.

http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/sho...postcount=3440

Since they were coming to me by way of the UPS, I had the shipment rerouted to a UPS pickup location, and when I went to pick them up on my lunch break on Monday when they arrived. I took them back to work with me and offered some to people at work. My supervisor was the first one I offered them to since she's so awesome.
Old 12-26-2019, 09:46 PM   #13
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
I'm just glad it's over.
I understand this completely, but for me it's the stress of all of the logistics of getting everyone what they want and then making all of the appearances everywhere and not forgetting a present and so on and so forth.

There is truly something to be said for being a kid and feeling that quiet peacefulness of just chilling on the carpet by the lit tree in a darkened room at night in the warm house that just becomes very hard to experience in adulthood.

Sincerely though I hope Christmas was a good day for everyone here.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 10:21 PM   #14
Storm Eagle
Saved by

I still enjoy Christmas as an adult, but I'm beginning to think that I like the buildup to Christmas more than Christmas Day itself. The buildup goes on for several days, and when Christmas finally comes, it's just one day and that's it. Then I always miss it when everything is over.

I start all of my Christmas stuff the day after Thanksgiving at the earliest. The first thing I usually do is go out and buy Christmas cards for relatives and friends. I tend to come across some corny ones though. Then I mail them out quick. People tell me that my cards are usually the first ones that they get.

One thing I do to get into the Christmas spirit is watch Christmas-themed episodes on the DVD sets that I have, in the order in which they aired. I start with this Christmas episode from the original G.I. Joe series.

I'm not into decorating my apartment, and I don't have much room for a Christmas tree. I also don't listen to Christmas songs.
Old 12-27-2019, 01:20 AM   #15
Leo656
The Franchise

I mostly got toys and video games so I plan to talk about that in the respective threads. Altogether though, a rare bright spot for an otherwise far-from-great 2019.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 10:47 PM   #16
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Happy New Year!
Old 01-07-2020, 10:29 AM   #17
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
I still enjoy Christmas as an adult, but I'm beginning to think that I like the buildup to Christmas more than Christmas Day itself. The buildup goes on for several days, and when Christmas finally comes, it's just one day and that's it. Then I always miss it when everything is over.
I also like the holiday season better, but Christmas isn't over after one day. The 12 days of Christmas last from 25 December to 6 January. And the real end of Christmas is Candlemas around 2 February.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Candlemas

Last edited by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan; 01-08-2020 at 05:56 AM.
Old 01-07-2020, 08:40 PM   #18
Storm Eagle
Saved by

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
I also like the holiday season better, but Christmas isn't over after one day. The 12 days of Christmas last from 25 December to 6 January. And the real end of Christmas is Candlemas around 2 February.
I'm aware of that, but the Candlemas thing is news to me.
Old 01-18-2020, 07:17 AM   #19
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
I'm aware of that, but the Candlemas thing is news to me.
Even if you kick out Christmas tree and decorations indoors on 7 January or some days later, I think it's OK to keep Christmas lights for one more month. Just call them winter lights, and let them shine between November–February.

Last edited by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan; 02-02-2020 at 07:59 AM.