The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Rise of the TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 07-21-2018, 05:19 AM   #1
neatoman
Emperor

How Rise handles mutants.

After five episodes (Three? Six? I'm a little confused about the actual episode count, given the format), Rise is already in full swing regarding the mutants. We knew it was going to be another cartoon full of mutants (gotta sell them toys) but the way they're handled is probably the weirdest way yet.

First off, the "turn into whatever you touched" rule is still in place. In addition to that, the ooze is no longer administered in a lab or a chemical spill, but rather mosquito bites. Mosquitos infused with ooze and acting like syringes, randomly flying around NYC.

On top of that, we don't really get to see the origin for most of these mutants. We can assume they were bitten by one of the mosquitos, but we're not given much context behind the circumstances or their motivation. For example, Warren Stone was turned into a worm, we don't why he turned into worm exactly or why he chose to be evil. The only backstory we're given is that he turned into a worm, went into hiding and were near the turtles when they battled a giant robot, that's pretty much it. The Repo Mantis is even worse, we don't get any backstory and he doesn't seem to be hiding from society, as a matter of fact he still runs a business in spite of his condition.

Even for TMNT, this is just odd.
Hahahaha!

Last edited by neatoman; 07-21-2018 at 05:45 AM.
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 05:32 AM   #2
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

The answer is "don't think about it"

But for real though, this show seems to be formatted very differently from any previous TMNT show, and shares a lot more in common with modern cartoons aimed at young kids: 11 minute episodes, no weighty back story to slow things down, just jumping straight into things, frequent humor and action, et cetera.

I think a lot of people on this forum are going to be highly upset for a long time if they can't come to terms with the fact that this show is just going to be different from what they're used to. I'd suggest they buy the 2012 show on DVD and get used to rewarding it or something, because most fans of that show are not going to be satisfied by this one
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 05:39 AM   #3
Ninja Tiptup
Mad Scientist

In a way it is refreshing not to go too in-depth with grotesque mutations or society freaking out about mutants but having mutants randomly among the populace with little to no back-story does feel odd. This is probably where the 11 minute format will come up short. There’s not much time to flesh out characters in their first appearance without using up a lot of the run time.
Ninja Tiptup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 09:05 AM   #4
CyberCubed
Overlord

Basically the huge swarm of mosquitos with the mutagen infect humans. What I do find interesting is how some of them seem to be living in society, but are still keeping themselves secret from humans. They're still very much outcasts.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 10:25 AM   #5
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

I guess the Turtles won't have to hide from humans or society for too long then? Enough mosquitoes escaped that I guess humans might become the minority eventually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetofGanja View Post
The answer is "don't think about it"
Noooooo... Does not compute. My most hated non-answer to such things. lol

Last edited by IndigoErth; 07-21-2018 at 10:31 AM.
IndigoErth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 07:30 PM   #6
miru
Mad Scientist

I believe that the Oozesquitos have an inhibition nullifier was added to the Mutagen. Hence why the results of it are selfish and hostile, regardless of who they were prior, but not mindless monsters nor forcibly indoctrinated into a standing army for Draxum. The reason Todd isn’t (and his odd proportions) could be that he used to be a regular animal and the nullifier has no effect on them mentally.
miru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 07:33 PM   #7
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

I feel like we'll get into the meat of things eventually.

Which is what a lot of 11-minute shows do in general. The first few episodes are spent on silliness to develop status quo, and then they punch you in the face midway.
Old 09-26-2018, 01:43 PM   #8
miru
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utrommaniac View Post
I feel like we'll get into the meat of things eventually.

Which is what a lot of 11-minute shows do in general. The first few episodes are spent on silliness to develop status quo, and then they punch you in the face midway.
So, around episode 13? Or maybe at the start of Season 2?

Yeah, the last full-blown silly cartoon that was successful was Clarence. I guess The Loud House counts, though. (though Loud House is more of a Westernized, kid-friendly Harem genre show)

Last edited by miru; 09-29-2018 at 03:24 PM.
Old 09-26-2018, 09:16 PM   #9
sdp
Megan Fox = April

I agree I'm guessing explanation of how things work will be developed slowly over the course of the series, it's mostly of them wanting to get to the "good stuff" first and leave hints which they can later explain.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 10:03 PM   #10
miru
Mad Scientist

The closest thing to the “body horror” creature of the 2012 series so far is Warren Stone, who keeps a quasi-humanoid torso (with even parts that would be useless in a male worm), yet the rest of his transformation seems almost complete.
Old 09-28-2018, 12:07 PM   #11
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Are the larger majority of mutants going to be villains, or at least small time criminal or otherwise untrustworthy sorts...? And if so, why. If the mosquitoes will be mutating many people, then really most of them shouldn't turn bad just because of it.

I mean, the Repo guy was just a human with a business before. Maybe he was a crappy person, who knows, but still, he'd just been a guy who ended up mutated... therefor a fight must ensue?
Old 09-28-2018, 12:10 PM   #12
miru
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Are the larger majority of mutants going to be villains, or at least small time criminal or otherwise untrustworthy sorts...? And if so, why. If the mosquitoes will be mutating many people, then really most of them shouldn't turn bad just because of it.

I mean, the Repo guy was just a human with a business before. Maybe he was a crappy person, who knows, but still, he'd just been a guy who ended up mutated... therefor a fight must ensue?
Hence why I suggested that the Mutagen has an inhibition nullifier added to it, to make the results unsavory in behavior.
Old 10-03-2018, 05:19 PM   #13
Poweranimals
Foot Soldier

I also noticed how there's really no mention of things from previous episodes. Like "I guess all those mosquitos that got out must be responsible for the uptick in mutant activity." or "That Baron Draxom guy was pretty tough. Maybe we need to up our training." Little things that make us feel like there's a progression of sorts.
Old 10-04-2018, 01:51 PM   #14
inaheap
Mad Scientist

What I want to know is why they don't all turn into mosquitoes since that would actually be the last thing to touch them.

We do not stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing

When I became an adult I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.
inaheap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 02:13 PM   #15
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Hm, good question. And are the mosquitoes mutated by it in some way or no? Maybe they aren't real mosquitoes and just some engineered mosquito-like thing.
Old 10-15-2018, 08:24 AM   #16
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
They looked mechanical in the first episode to me. Like a syringe with wings and legs. Their butts even glowed from the mutagen they contained.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 02:24 PM   #17
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by inaheap View Post
What I want to know is why they don't all turn into mosquitoes since that would actually be the last thing to touch them.
The Mosquitoes just inject the mutagen.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 06:51 PM   #18
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

But the mosquitoes still touch them and unlikely that they could keep their own DNA from not getting involved...

Although still thinking and in agreement that they might not be real mosquitoes. Perhaps mechanical as Duckie suggested.

Then again
... the last show did mutate a car. So god only knows what this show would go for.
Old 10-21-2018, 10:08 AM   #19
miru
Mad Scientist

Maybe they're enchanted by Draxum to be immune to the mutagen.