The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 06-13-2016, 09:58 PM   #561
ToTheNines
[sic]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChosenOne View Post
I'd settle for weekly. The B&R mini is going to spoil us all sooo bad... It's not even funny.
Yeah, July is going to sting after this epic month of 7 comics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
Really? I am not pleased with 16.8. I would rather see it floating around 20k. MLP must have dropped in numbers as I remember it constantly being on top of the heap for IDW. I won't complain as far as TMNT being in the lead but the numbers I want a little higher.

Where do you get your numbers from? I know they are accurate and trustworthy. I am just asking so I know where to go for TMNT or other titles if curiosity ever arises.
http://www.comichron.com/monthlycomicssales.html
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 10:08 PM   #562
CyberCubed
Overlord

So the Batman/TMNT crossover did really well the whole way through, and DC even has a hardcover collection for it coming in August.

Makes me wonder if we're going to see a sequel, or the TMNT crossover with other DC superheroes.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 10:14 PM   #563
ToTheNines
[sic]

Poorly as their non-Bat books were selling before Rebirth, I think they'd be pleased to straight up steal the license from IDW.
Old 07-13-2016, 07:22 PM   #564
ToTheNines
[sic]

Aaaand June
119. BRDE #1 - 18,263 (IDW bestseller)
130. TMNT #59 - 16,962
151. BRDE #2 - 13,956
157. BRDE #3 - 13,631
162. BRDE #4 - 13,393
168. BRDE #5 - 12,815

Still no amazing adventures... not even the Carmello special.
Old 07-13-2016, 07:28 PM   #565
CyberCubed
Overlord

I have the strong suspicion TMNT Universe was announced and will essentially replace Nick Amazing adventures.

I'll be surprised if the Nick comic is still going in 2017.
Old 07-13-2016, 09:42 PM   #566
DrSpengler
TMNT Entity guy

Wow, the B&R mini kept a steady number of sales through the whole run (aside from the 5k drop after #1, but that's to be expected).

-Mark Pellegrini

Last edited by DrSpengler; 07-14-2016 at 07:41 AM.
DrSpengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 10:26 PM   #567
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSpengler View Post
Wow, the B&R mini kept a steady number of sales through the whole run (aside from the 3k drop after #1, but that's to be expected).
I kinda figured the financial commitment of buying 5 books in consecutive weeks would scare away most consumers, but I guess I underestimated comic book buyers disposable income!

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 11:52 PM   #568
funatic
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
I kinda figured the financial commitment of buying 5 books in consecutive weeks would scare away most consumers, but I guess I underestimated comic book buyers disposable income!
In this case it may have actually helped casual fans. I imagine for someone just getting into a comic that it's hard to remember to come in just once a month (often not the same week of the month) for 3 or 4 months to just finish one story arc. Whereas in this case they could get it all the same day every week, much easier to stay on top of, and even if they started partway through its likely some of the previous issues would still be in stock since it had only been weeks rather than months.

I think this would be a very good model for IDW to move forward with in regard to mini series. Obviously the limiting factor is the artists turnaround time, and I think B&R got away with the weekly release due to the huge number of artists on the project. But even for minis with one artist I wouldn't mind waiting til all art was in and doing it weekly. It would likely mean longer waits between minis but that's fine with me if it brings more readers in. Heck, if there's enough readers they could afford to plot EVEN MORE minis, and fill the gaps in those long waits!
funatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 11:56 PM   #569
Powder
Salami Origami

I've tended to pick my stuff up bi-monthly in the last year, but I definitely made sure to grab all those mini's in two separate visits during June.
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 01:26 PM   #570
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by funatic View Post
In this case it may have actually helped casual fans. I imagine for someone just getting into a comic that it's hard to remember to come in just once a month (often not the same week of the month) for 3 or 4 months to just finish one story arc. Whereas in this case they could get it all the same day every week, much easier to stay on top of, and even if they started partway through its likely some of the previous issues would still be in stock since it had only been weeks rather than months.

I think this would be a very good model for IDW to move forward with in regard to mini series. Obviously the limiting factor is the artists turnaround time, and I think B&R got away with the weekly release due to the huge number of artists on the project. But even for minis with one artist I wouldn't mind waiting til all art was in and doing it weekly. It would likely mean longer waits between minis but that's fine with me if it brings more readers in. Heck, if there's enough readers they could afford to plot EVEN MORE minis, and fill the gaps in those long waits!
You might be onto something big there! And I'll confess that visiting my local comic shop last month it was impossible to ignore the big wall filled with colorful issues of Bebop & Rocksteady. That's an old sales trick used by toy and video game companies to dominate visual space on a retailer's limited storage shelves. Hence, toy companies create humongous boxed playsets that may not sell for a while but ensure that it will get people's attention and create less room for competitor products. Nintendo did that with their early runs of NES sets too. Sounds like it really paid off in the case of this IDW mini-series!

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 05:10 PM   #571
CyberCubed
Overlord

As said, a 5 issue monthly only works with recognizable characters like Bebop/Rocksteady to casuals. I severely doubt a, "Koya and Bludgeon" 5 issue mini would sell anywhere as well, for example, because outside of IDW readers they're obscure characters.

They could probably do it with a Leatherhead mini though, and he needs more screentime in IDW since he was just introduced.
Old 07-16-2016, 08:35 AM   #572
tomtmnt
Random Punk

I haven't seen the sale figures for the TMNT ongoing for a couple of years now.

Really pleased it is still selling like it was

I enjoyed for once going into my comic shop every week knowing that I had a comic. I would also welcome something like this again. Even if it was only an annual occurence.
tomtmnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 05:30 PM   #573
ZacksSoUgly
Thug

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
Poorly as their non-Bat books were selling before Rebirth, I think they'd be pleased to straight up steal the license from IDW.
TMNT published by DC? Gives me mixed feelings with emphasis on excited and worried. haha
Kevin Eastman Interview

TMNT Collecting Social Media
Instagram : @ZOSOtmnt
ZacksSoUgly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 05:39 PM   #574
ZacksSoUgly
Thug

So what do you guys think it would take for TMNT to be a 30-50K monthly sales book? It's reviewed positively everywhere, has pretty consistent art (especially when Mateus is doing his thing), the writing has been steadily good, and has shows and movies based on the characters. Not the EXACT characters in terms of characterization and look, but y'all know what I mean. Besides those points, the Turtles are pop culture icons.

They float between 16K and 20K regularly and that's good, but could they be doing better? I understand IDW isn't one of the Big 2, but is that the only reason? They're not on a large publisher so they won't do big numbers? Have comic book readers gotten over the Turtles or what? Am I missing something?
Kevin Eastman Interview

TMNT Collecting Social Media
Instagram : @ZOSOtmnt
ZacksSoUgly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 05:56 PM   #575
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZacksSoUgly View Post
So what do you guys think it would take for TMNT to be a 30-50K monthly sales book? It's reviewed positively everywhere, has pretty consistent art (especially when Mateus is doing his thing), the writing has been steadily good, and has shows and movies based on the characters. Not the EXACT characters in terms of characterization and look, but y'all know what I mean. Besides those points, the Turtles are pop culture icons.

They float between 16K and 20K regularly and that's good, but could they be doing better? I understand IDW isn't one of the Big 2, but is that the only reason? They're not on a large publisher so they won't do big numbers? Have comic book readers gotten over the Turtles or what? Am I missing something?
Its IDW's best selling book. IDW comics don't sell as much as DC/Marvel because they're an indie comic publisher.

There's really nothing else they can do. The series has been around 5 years now and its just word of mouth and consistent fans like us who support the book.
Old 07-31-2016, 07:46 PM   #576
ToTheNines
[sic]

Walking Dead is the only book that does numbers like that outside of the big two. Power Rangers (wtf?) is currently in the top 100, but it's early. Won't stay there.

I don't know what Viacom's licensing fees are like compared to everyone else IDW does business with, but being the #1 book and all has to mean it's selling just fine.
Old 07-31-2016, 07:48 PM   #577
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
Walking Dead is the only book that does numbers like that outside of the big two. Power Rangers (wtf?) is currently in the top 100, but it's early. Won't stay there.
It did get #2 overall with its second,first official issue. What was MMPR#5 ranked?

Check out the best DC Comics site on the net:
http://new.dcuwiki.net/forums/index.php
Now featuring Ethan Van Sciver!

MikeandRaph87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 10:26 PM   #578
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZacksSoUgly View Post

Honestly I think it would take two things
The IDW Comic art would need to revert back to Dan Duncan style art instead of the child like pre-adolescent baby faces.

Second it would need a very successful movie franchise along the lines of Nolan Batman or Marvel Movie franchise to Garner more attention.

TMNT was originally a darker comic than what we have now.
and also the only thing most people know about TMNT is that they had an awesome TV shows in the 90s that is for kids and only kids.

Hell I did not know how awesome and serious the original Mirage comics were until I stumbled across the old TMNT website and think thats the problem is TMNT needs to bring the Darker more Serious TMNT to Main Stream media.
Redeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 02:50 PM   #579
Mike Lowrey
Random Punk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemer View Post
Honestly I think it would take two things
The IDW Comic art would need to revert back to Dan Duncan style art instead of the child like pre-adolescent baby faces.

Second it would need a very successful movie franchise along the lines of Nolan Batman or Marvel Movie franchise to Garner more attention.

I don't think the art will help comic sales. Especially by reverting back to Duncan's art; that will do nothing. Also, Santolouco is nailing it with his style, his version of the turtles, and most of all with his action sequences. It's just a matter of time until DC or Marvel snatch him up, which will be a sad day. The baby faces are gone and were really only on the cover of the FCBD issue. (I don't want to get into this because this topic should probably be in a different thread)

As for the movie, I agree. IMO, both movies were all around disappointments and probably hurt the entire franchise more than anything. For starts, a quality director would have been nice on the first movie.

To fix comic sales, I think it starts with the comic shops. Every comic shop I walk into the turtle books are always in the back. If I ask anybody working the shop about them (like if they are any good or if you would recommend it) they typically say they don't know because they haven't read any. I feel like most shops are only familiar with what Marvel and DC are doing in their current story lines. Most shops probably have no clue the turtle books have had good reviews either. Lastly, rarely do I ever see any turtle sub or incentive variants in the front displays that seem to exclusively have Marvel and DC variants only.
Mike Lowrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 05:09 PM   #580
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lowrey View Post
I don't think the art will help comic sales. Especially by reverting back to Duncan's art; that will do nothing. Also, Santolouco is nailing it with his style, his version of the turtles, and most of all with his action sequences. It's just a matter of time until DC or Marvel snatch him up, which will be a sad day. The baby faces are gone and were really only on the cover of the FCBD issue. (I don't want to get into this because this topic should probably be in a different thread)

As for the movie, I agree. IMO, both movies were all around disappointments and probably hurt the entire franchise more than anything. For starts, a quality director would have been nice on the first movie.

To fix comic sales, I think it starts with the comic shops. Every comic shop I walk into the turtle books are always in the back. If I ask anybody working the shop about them (like if they are any good or if you would recommend it) they typically say they don't know because they haven't read any. I feel like most shops are only familiar with what Marvel and DC are doing in their current story lines. Most shops probably have no clue the turtle books have had good reviews either. Lastly, rarely do I ever see any turtle sub or incentive variants in the front displays that seem to exclusively have Marvel and DC variants only.
I have to disagree mainstream comic book reader don't like the pre-adolescent faces the turtles have been getting lately. most people associate the turtles with the 87 show and unfortunately the way the turtles have been drawn the late several issues re-inforces this stereo type.

I love Santouloco's art style especially in city of falls, but unfortunately he has started drawing the faces like the Nick counter parts
Redeemer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comic discussion