The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 10-19-2017, 01:37 PM   #21
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
This was the most violent issue in a long time. Really surprised at how much Viacom let IDW do. The 3 mutants killing everyone in a murderous rampage was crazy, and Karai chopping off the guys head, and then killing all the other people at the table after that.

On top of that, Koya really feels a lot different than how she was in the earlier issues. Now it's like she's going on a psychotic rampage, whereas she seemed a bit more sympathetic early on.

I sense a dark end here. I think all the mutants and Ocho will die when they attack the Foot.
Yeah, Koya is definitely not ending up where I thought she would.

Karai and Bludgeon are awesome. As is Ocho.

And c'mon, man, really?
Old 10-19-2017, 01:38 PM   #22
martinitolove
Foot Soldier

The best Universe issue yet!!! Love the zen-Bludgeon and his praying beads. Hope to see the other two amulettes and their effects on the Shark (magically mutates into Armageddon?) and the Mole (THAT'S Dirtbag, baby!).

Now let Groundchuck (Chi-Yuo) meet Dirtbag (Ocho)!!!
martinitolove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 01:46 PM   #23
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Quote:
This was the most violent issue in a long time. Really surprised at how much Viacom let IDW do. The 3 mutants killing everyone in a murderous rampage was crazy, and Karai chopping off the guys head, and then killing all the other people at the table after that.

On top of that, Koya really feels a lot different than how she was in the earlier issues. Now it's like she's going on a psychotic rampage, whereas she seemed a bit more sympathetic early on.

I sense a dark end here. I think all the mutants and Ocho will die when they attack the Foot.
I feel like Bludgeon would see the folly in that endeavor and bow out before it happened, if it were indeed to go down like that. Bludgeon keeps becoming a cooler and cooler character, temperament-wise. Also he's a Daredevilesque zen monk shark mutant, how f#cking cool is that?
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 01:50 PM   #24
CyberCubed
Overlord

I can see Koya getting killed off at some point. We haven't had a "major" character death in a while, just minor characters like the leader of the clan in this issue.

I doubt they would kill off Karai but I think her mutant henchmen have a possibility of going down at some point. Especially since they're IDW created characters, so they're free to do whatever they want with them unlike the nostalgia people would have for the older mutants from the original cartoon or Archie, etc.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 02:05 PM   #25
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Quote:
I can see Koya getting killed off at some point. We haven't had a "major" character death in a while, just minor characters like the leader of the clan in this issue.

I doubt they would kill off Karai but I think her mutant henchmen have a possibility of going down at some point. Especially since they're IDW created characters, so they're free to do whatever they want with them unlike the nostalgia people would have for the older mutants from the original cartoon or Archie, etc.
That's like the dumbest reasoning for deciding what to do with a character.

"Oh we can't kill so-and-so off because the fans will get mad."

I want to see a lot more of Koya and Bludgeon, and I'm interested to see where they end up. It's looking like Koya definitely wants Round 2 with Leo, but Bludgeon seems to be getting to a point where eventually he may not want to take part in ninja clan shenanigans. He could possibly become a free agent in the future, or even a Mutanimal. Although the Mutanimals may split into two different sects depending on their views of what tactics are acceptable in the fight for carving out a decent place in the world for mutants.
Old 10-19-2017, 02:07 PM   #26
CyberCubed
Overlord

The reason I mentioned Koya and not Bludgeon is exactly because the back-ups and her behavior in this ongoing seems to have her going off the deep end. We're not just going to see something like Leo chop up her wings and her let go again like last time. She's also been around for a long time, since the Northampton arc in IDW, so she's already been in the series longer than the other mutants. So it's not like they haven't made a lot of use of her.

I also wonder what Bludgeon would do if he was alone.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 02:09 PM   #27
Powder
So tired of this place

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinitolove View Post
The best Universe issue yet!!! Love the zen-Bludgeon and his praying beads. Hope to see the other two amulettes and their effects on the Shark (magically mutates into Armageddon?) and the Mole (THAT'S Dirtbag, baby!).

Now let Groundchuck (Chi-Yuo) meet Dirtbag (Ocho)!!!
They are their own characters, stop acting like there's a bunch of Playmates wank happening here when there isn't.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 02:13 PM   #28
Erik Burnham
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Quote:
This was the most violent issue in a long time.
Well, that cave and the things in it were a wee bit corruptive. (:

www.burnhamania.com
www.facebook.com/erikburnhamfanpage
www.twitter.com/erikburnham
Erik Burnham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 02:26 PM   #29
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Burnham View Post
Well, that cave and the things in it were a wee bit corruptive. (:
I like that you guys are defying expectations a bit and making the avian character be the one to succumb to blood lust while the shark keeps getting calmer and more centered. People forget that hawks and falcons and the like are apex predators, or at least very near the top of the food chain. Kudos, IDW story team.

And props again to Sophie, this time for character design, Ocho is f#cking terrifying. I hope we get to see more yōkai in the series! And Natsu is really cool too, I wanna see more of her. A great story arc for TMNTU.
Old 10-19-2017, 02:29 PM   #30
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:

We've been told by Bobby that they prefer not to kill off characters because it removes future potential.

Nobody's dying unless it's the culmination of their entire story arc. Oroku Saki, Darius Dun, that's about it. Ain't nobody dying, mate.
Old 10-19-2017, 02:56 PM   #31
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Well, Karai will be bringing some serious business to the table. I'd guess at her return being 81. Or maybe in the final showdowns before 100.
Old 10-19-2017, 03:06 PM   #32
ChosenOne
Banned

The sword, Koya's wings, Ocho herself... They're all rooted in magic that Kitsune could easily subvert and control in her favor. I hope that's not the case, the Pantheon is already OP enough as is... But it would be neat to see Bludgeon stand with the Turtles against his companions and try to get through to them.
ChosenOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 03:30 PM   #33
Tardigrade
Random Punk

I really love the evolution of Karai through the whole book (even if we didn't see her enough) and this issue and arc mark a great turning point, she is no longer second in command. I think she will become a wiser and greater leader than Shredder was. My guess is that she will show up in New York when Splinter will be on the verge of losing control of the foot clan or when she feels that the clan as lost is former glory.
Tardigrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 07:27 PM   #34
Sophie Campbell
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Thanks so much, everyone!! I've have some ideas for Koya vs Leo round 3, it's a story I've been kicking around in my head for a while now, but we'll see.

ProphetofGanja, double thank you! I appreciate the nice words about Ocho and everything else. I love the idea of Bludgeon going his own way, I wonder how Koya would react to that?! I want to do that story!
Sophie Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 07:38 PM   #35
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

I think the thing that I appreciate most about this story arc is just how completely it goes against my expectations for each character from where they were left at the end of the Gauntlet Battle.

I expected Koya's and Bludgeon's disabilities to be temporary... but nope! Permanently blind, permanently grounded!

I expected Karai to be loyal to Splinter and the Foot Clan... nope, gearing up to be her own woman and subordinate to no one!

I expected Koya to get over her feud with the Ninja Turtles... nope, she dreams of eviscerating Leonardo!

And Bludgeon, the calm Buddhist shark who is in control of his emotions? Who saw THAT coming?

Kudos to Sophie, kudos to Erik. LOVED this arc.
Old 10-19-2017, 09:33 PM   #36
Technogeek29
Mad Scientist

That hate for Leo is strong, I'm very interested in a TMNTU with just those two in an issue or arc?
Old 10-19-2017, 09:34 PM   #37
myconius
Abby Normal

Location: the grave marked "Unknown" right beside Arch Stanton.
Northampton has been one of my favorite arcs since the very beginning of this series, and i've re-read it many many times!!!
in particular the last 7 pages of issue #31 and the entirety of issue #32.

The Leo/Koya feud that starts there is SO intense!!
i had a feeling it wouldn't be resolved so easily after issue #50,
and i very much look forward to round THREE!!

i'd almost hope for it to be it's own mini-series, if not a then multi-issue story-arc in TMNT:Universe at the very least.

that rivalry between those two is just TOO juicy!
Old 10-19-2017, 10:15 PM   #38
DestronMirage22
Yukipedia

Fantastic issue.
The art was absolutely stupendous and the way the scenes were handled was superb!
I didn’t expect that level of violence, so it had an even bigger effect.
Karai and gang’s story has taken an interesting turn, I can’t wait to see what happens next with them.

This has turned out to be my favorite Universe arc. It was exactly what I wanted from this book, and it’ll be hard to top this arc.
DestronMirage22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 03:19 AM   #39
Mayhem
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
We've been told by Bobby that they prefer not to kill off characters because it removes future potential. Nobody's dying unless it's the culmination of their entire story arc. Oroku Saki, Darius Dun, that's about it. Ain't nobody dying, mate.
Then again, the write up on one comic store's site that is selling a variant for #75 suggests a death...
Old 10-20-2017, 08:03 AM   #40
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
Then again, the write up on one comic store's site that is selling a variant for #75 suggests a death...
Link please?