The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 11-20-2019, 09:58 PM   #41
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegeta View Post
I'm not a mcu/Disney guy but striking that balance for adults/kids with action/humor that they've made billions on really would be nice for the tmnt. I haven't really seen it done correctly outside of the first turtle film and the comic books. The 2012 cartoon and now this, its just bleh.
They'd have to explore "comedic" opportunities that go deeper than pizza jokes and "Dude, like, DUDE!" stuff.

As we've seen, that's the limit of how much work they want to do. So I wouldn't hold my breath. The "comedy" bits in most TMNT media try way too hard and are not very funny.

Although the fans are as much to blame as anyone else, at times. I mean, people raved about that elevator scene in the first PD film like it was the funniest thing they'd ever seen, and man, that sh*t was ghastly. It just screamed, "This entire movie is just an exercise in stupidity."

I'm not saying TMNT can't have humor, but I agree with you that it really doesn't land most of the time when it's been tried. And "funny" should never be the MAIN objective for anything TMNT-related.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 10:19 PM   #42
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Right? I'm not trying to "bash" and I've been clear that it's not what I want, but the numbers really don't support the "It's for the kids!" argument. Maybe that was the theory behind its creation, but the data suggests that most of the people watching the show and buying the toys are simply the same fans who support anything with a TMNT sticker on it, in the hope the brand doesn't get shelved entirely. And most of those people are around my age.

It's like the defense of the new "Charlie's Angels": "It wasn't for men!" Except women didn't go see it, either. Rise may ostensibly be "For the kids, NOT us!", but... if so, then nobody told the kids they were supposed to care, because those toys collect dust.

((Shrug))
Y'know, I tell myself I can't be buying action figures anymore cause I'm running out of space to put em and if I move, it just becomes more stuff I'll have to haul or mail out. But dammit, if the figures are cool, I would have bought them.

That said, I'm as big a TMNT and action figure fan as they come... and even I couldn't bring myself to buy those figures. IDK.... the designs.... I was hoping they'd look a bit better in action figure form (like the 2012 TMNT did) but naw. Just couldn't do it.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 10:31 PM   #43
Leo656
The Franchise

I haven't handled any, but they look kinda cheap compared to every other TMNT line of figures that's come out. I could be entirely off-base but that's just how they look to me when I see them on the pegs at the store. I won't be buying them, but anyone who's played with them can feel free to correct me.

I did want the Lair so I could repaint it and use it as a large-scale display for my TMNT figures, but not for $110. They almost had me, though. Colors and "wacky" sh*t aside it's a nice-sized piece with some neat features. I just couldn't justify it at that price, and once it hit Clearance it was sold out in a day. Ah well.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 06:50 AM   #44
shawnoen
Random Punk

Kevin Smith is also a professional comic book writer. He's done Darevevil, Green Arrow, Spider Man, Detective Comics, etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulithe View Post
Not sure how Kevin Smith was in any way relevant to TMNT, he was already a man grown when it hit big, nor has he been any significant part of TMNT history over the years. No insight from his comments. The guy just wants to be in everything to line his pockets. And I'm still perplexed as hell at him working on Masters.
shawnoen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 10:43 AM   #45
d_osborn
Mad Scientist

Cosmic TMNT a'la Guardians of the Galaxy would be super fun.
d_osborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 12:30 PM   #46
AquaParade
Banned

This episode did sort of remind me why Playmates TMNT toys were appealing to me back in the day. Lately, I've looked back at those figures and had a hard time understanding the appeal, but the playsets were so damn cool. That original Sewer Lair playset was like the holy grail for me as a kid.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 05:49 PM   #47
ABrown
Banned

Watched this the other night. I just started watching these this past week. So far I've watched the TMNT one, the Transformers one, and the He-Man one. Though I really need to rewatch the He-Man one as it really didn't have my full attention when I had it on, so I missed a lot of it.
ABrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 03:22 PM   #48
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
Also, can the powers that be f*cking please stop electing Michelle Ivey & "Black Nerd" to be the ambassadors of this fandom?
Poor Michelle and Andre.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnoen View Post
Kevin Smith is also a professional comic book writer. He's done Darevevil, Green Arrow, Spider Man, Detective Comics, etc...
Yeah because of his king of geek culture status from making geek related comedies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegeta View Post
It is a bit fascinating that a cartoon constructed simply to sell toys in the 1980s and a film made in that toy mongering era still remains so much better than what nick has currently with its cartoon and recent two films.
Wait just a second! I was under the impression the FW series did well based on the toys alone. These truth bombs man...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulithe View Post
Not sure how Kevin Smith was in any way relevant to TMNT, he was already a man grown when it hit big, nor has he been any significant part of TMNT history over the years. No insight from his comments. The guy just wants to be in everything to line his pockets. And I'm still perplexed as hell at him working on Masters.
Oh that man is annoying...Well apparently Smith is considered by the Internet as the king of geek culture so he has to turn up in geek documentaries as well as rebooted franchise movies.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote