The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 01-19-2019, 04:59 PM   #21
hypered1
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxin45 View Post
It seems the Shredder in hell mini-series would tie in with the main series.
Yeah, it's most likely going to be part of the overall 'City at War' arc.
hypered1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 05:30 PM   #22
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Of course it's going to tie in?

All the minis do. When there isn't room in the main story to veer off for a backstory or side story.
Old 01-20-2019, 03:40 PM   #23
Toxin45
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
Hah Shredder and kitsune are a bickering couple with relationship issues and krang as their child.
Toxin45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 08:46 AM   #24
neatoman
Emperor

Finally read it. What was the deal with the Shoggoth?
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 03:14 PM   #25
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

This was great. So much to unpack with Oroku Saki... his (unrequited?) love for Kitsune, the Dragon spirit/lord/god, Hamato Yoshi, that many-eyed monstrosity... also, Saki is more resistant against Splinter's advice than I would have expected! This won't end well.

I don't think I'm the first to guess this, but I'm betting that's the real Splinter in this vision/realm... after he dies in the real world (in an upcoming issue). That's my bet, anyway! Interesting to see where this goes.
Old 01-23-2019, 03:47 PM   #26
Weapons@theready
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weapons@theready View Post
I’m so upset that my LCS didn’t get this in today
Finally got it in today...so excited to finally read this. Mateus is killing it, and that last page with the Turtles was amazing. Can't wait to see the curves along the journey, but yeah this isn't going to end well.
Weapons@theready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 03:59 PM   #27
Toxin45
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
This was great. So much to unpack with Oroku Saki... his (unrequited?) love for Kitsune, the Dragon spirit/lord/god, Hamato Yoshi, that many-eyed monstrosity... also, Saki is more resistant against Splinter's advice than I would have expected! This won't end well.

I don't think I'm the first to guess this, but I'm betting that's the real Splinter in this vision/realm... after he dies in the real world (in an upcoming issue). That's my bet, anyway! Interesting to see where this goes.
Kitsune did call him beloved so it wasn't entirely unrequited on some leave but it seems her hatred for humanity outweighed it and spilinter from the future is an uncxepted theory.
Toxin45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 10:48 PM   #28
LUIS
Random Punk

Bought it online, damn was it good, felt short though.
LUIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 03:14 PM   #29
martinitolove
Foot Soldier

It was great! I suppose that the issue is happening in the past, immediately after Shredder was beheaded. The best essence of Splinter followed his friend Saki to the purgatory in order to guide him through hell to heaven. This is the reason for Splinter thinking less with his heart in the "real world" nowdays, becoming head of the foot clan, killing people, distancing himself from his sons. Once their journey is over the best essence will return to the body, Splinter will leave the foot clan and reunite with his sons. At the same time Shredder will be resurected. This will lead into the events of issue 100.

Splinter going to die soon would be a very cheap step for such amazing storytellers that are the IDW crew!
martinitolove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 07:01 PM   #30
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinitolove View Post
It was great! I suppose that the issue is happening in the past, immediately after Shredder was beheaded. The best essence of Splinter followed his friend Saki to the purgatory in order to guide him through hell to heaven. This is the reason for Splinter thinking less with his heart in the "real world" nowdays, becoming head of the foot clan, killing people, distancing himself from his sons. Once their journey is over the best essence will return to the body, Splinter will leave the foot clan and reunite with his sons. At the same time Shredder will be resurected. This will lead into the events of issue 100.
Interesting... I like that take!
ChosenOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 09:39 AM   #31
Igglet

Quote:

Splinter going to die soon would be a very cheap step for such amazing storytellers that are the IDW crew!
I still prefer the idea of a deceased Splinter guiding Saki. Death is, in no way, a cheap step, and if done well it can easily be one of the most powerful storytelling tools. The idea of Splinter getting redemption by guiding his old friend on the right path through the afterlife so he can save the world seems cool to me.

I'm thinking there also might be a possibility that Splinter's spirit sort of transcends time here as well, though I'm not going to ramble about that just yet.
Old 01-25-2019, 10:24 AM   #32
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
How in the world is that a cheap step?

To date, only TWO versions of TMNT have ever dared to do that: Mirage and, surprisingly, Nick 2012.
Old 01-25-2019, 10:43 AM   #33
Weapons@theready
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
How in the world is that a cheap step?

To date, only TWO versions of TMNT have ever dared to do that: Mirage and, surprisingly, Nick 2012.
And Nick did it twice too. I actually loved the first death so much more because Shredder was like “F it...I don’t care if the Earth is destroyed”
Weapons@theready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 11:56 AM   #34
martinitolove
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weapons@theready View Post
And Nick did it twice too. I actually loved the first death so much more because Shredder was like “F it...I don’t care if the Earth is destroyed”
And his second death was unneeded. You don't need a teacher to die in for four teenagers to grow up. Then you must change the name of the property - not "teenage mutant ninja turtles" anymore. I hope IDW keeps that in mind and don't kill Splinter!

Splinter's second death and the whole overmutated Shredder stuff was one of the worst moments of an amazing cartoon series.

One of the best things was Q, I mean Wyrm!

And I re-read Turtles in Time #4 - does anyone think that the executioner looked a lot like Tiger Claw?
Old 01-25-2019, 12:20 PM   #35
Igglet

Quote:
And his second death was unneeded. You don't need a teacher to die in for four teenagers to grow up. Then you must change the name of the property - not "teenage mutant ninja turtles" anymore. I hope IDW keeps that in mind and don't kill Splinter!

Splinter's second death and the whole overmutated Shredder stuff was one of the worst moments of an amazing cartoon series.

One of the best things was Q, I mean Wyrm!

And I re-read Turtles in Time #4 - does anyone think that the executioner looked a lot like Tiger Claw?
They're teenagers, not children. Growing up is a part of being a teenager. Growing more independent and, most importantly, mature. The fact that they're growing up doesn't mean they're somehow no longer teenagers. No, showing more maturity shows that they've grown as characters and keeps the story from getting stagnant and is absolutely a key part of a story that prides itself on continuity. Though I'm not sure if that's what you said, or if it was that the turtles can grow up without their master dying, which I do agree with but I still don't agree with you on death being cheap.

With that in mind, death can also not only serve as an important tool to enhance the story of the turtles, it can also lead to a natural ending of Splinter's story as well. If done right, it can give the story a larger emotional stake and offer the character redemption and closure. Splinter is absolutely my favorite character but even then, if his death is pulled off right and if the story can go on without there being a hole in the place that he used to be in, then I'd love to see it happen. Just my opinion though!
Old 01-25-2019, 12:21 PM   #36
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
He sort of does, but I think he's a mutant walrus, not a tiger.
ChosenOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 01:41 PM   #37
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Yeah, that series "killed" Splinter off so many times, that when they finally offed him for good, I had already grown numb enough as to think: "better be for real, this time?"

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 02:21 PM   #38
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
Yeah, that series "killed" Splinter off so many times, that when they finally offed him for good, I had already grown numb enough as to think: "better be for real, this time?"
I actually was shocked and liked the fact that they actually and permanently killed splinter off in the series. They had not done it in the previous cartoons.
Redeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 02:58 PM   #39
Zog The Magnificent
Stone Warrior

I feel like that since the afterlife as depicted here seems to be a place outside of normal time, the Splinter there is indeed dead in the future. My guess is that his death involves Shredder in some way, which is why when asked he doged the question, but he died at peace with himself and has now been put into the afterlife to guide Shredder, which will eventually lead to the situation that results in Splinter's death, completing the circle. Or I could be completely wrong, who knows?

Also, regarding Splinter dying in the Nick cartoon, I thought it was pretty well handled. In my opinion the only real fakeout was the one at the end of Season 3, and we knew that one would be undone due to the whole world dying immediately after. It was just the set up to the whole "set right what once was wrong" plot. When his real death came along, I definitely felt the oomph it was supposed to have. Those are just my thoughts, anyways.

Last edited by Zog The Magnificent; 01-26-2019 at 10:48 AM.
Zog The Magnificent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 02:55 PM   #40
martinitolove
Foot Soldier

Forgot to point out we've got Meerdude or better Meerdudettes in this issue! One point more for IDW. Love you Mateus Santolouco!!!