The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Video Game Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2017, 08:08 PM   #1
Peter Palmer
Hench Mutant
 
Peter Palmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 276
TMNT: Mutants in Manhattan

I'm not sure if anyone cares, but I picked up TMNT: Mutants in Manhattan for Xbox 360 today from Target. It was on clearance for $11.98. If you're still rocking a last-gen console like me and you're interested in the game, it may be worth a trip to Target.
__________________
Peter Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 12:33 AM   #2
Allio
Foot Elite
 
Allio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,573
I was really disappointed in this, I really wanted my idw videogame. it was only idw in asthetic only.
__________________
Allio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 04:37 AM   #3
Turo602
The King of Kings
 
Turo602's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Chicago Illinois
Posts: 2,229
I was really disappointed too, but only because my expectations were set too high and that's probably got to do with the way the trailers presented the game. I was hoping for something in the vein of Batman: Arkham City, with an open-world design and awesome linear story, but unfortunately, it was just another turtles beat 'em up.

However, what's there isn't really bad either. As far as TMNT games go, this one is pretty good. Combat is good even if not too deep, the more open-levels are a lot of fun to traverse, and the bosses are extremely fun. They got the charm of the franchise down and the Turtles' personalities are on point. The randomized objectives also give the game a lot of replay value as you'll constantly be doing different things in each stage during different playthroughs.

Though, had it not been rushed, I think it could have been really amazing. It would have definitely benefited from more levels, more level and enemy variety (purple dragons and triceratons come to mind), vehicular combat stages, and cool extras like a Mirage comics filter, unlockable playable characters, and alternate skins from different eras. Only then would it have been worthy of full retail price. It just sucks that we'll never see anything special done with this franchise as a video game. It's always gotta be tied to something else and ends up falling short because of it. Platinum is a great developer and given what they did with the little they had to work with, I think they could make a great TMNT game. If we're not gonna get something like the Batman games, at least make the beat 'em up formula work to its fullest potential.
__________________
Turo602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 09:34 AM   #4
eskater
Foot Soldier
 
eskater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turo602 View Post
I was really disappointed too, but only because my expectations were set too high and that's probably got to do with the way the trailers presented the game. I was hoping for something in the vein of Batman: Arkham City, with an open-world design and awesome linear story, but unfortunately, it was just another turtles beat 'em up.

However, what's there isn't really bad either. As far as TMNT games go, this one is pretty good. Combat is good even if not too deep, the more open-levels are a lot of fun to traverse, and the bosses are extremely fun. They got the charm of the franchise down and the Turtles' personalities are on point. The randomized objectives also give the game a lot of replay value as you'll constantly be doing different things in each stage during different playthroughs.

Though, had it not been rushed, I think it could have been really amazing. It would have definitely benefited from more levels, more level and enemy variety (purple dragons and triceratons come to mind), vehicular combat stages, and cool extras like a Mirage comics filter, unlockable playable characters, and alternate skins from different eras. Only then would it have been worthy of full retail price. It just sucks that we'll never see anything special done with this franchise as a video game. It's always gotta be tied to something else and ends up falling short because of it. Platinum is a great developer and given what they did with the little they had to work with, I think they could make a great TMNT game. If we're not gonna get something like the Batman games, at least make the beat 'em up formula work to its fullest potential.
They really did rush the F out of this game honestly. I think the biggest letdown I keep hearing from a lot of people from the beginning (aside from how short it is) is there was no true multiplayer, just a online version of it. It really limits the replay value some because of it too.
FYI I bought this when it came out, no ragrats.
__________________
Fortuna Favet Fortibus
eskater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 01:57 PM   #5
RaphaelinSTL
Stone Warrior
 
RaphaelinSTL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskater View Post
FYI I bought this when it came out, no ragrats.
Same ... I mean, I liked it ... but it had SO MUCH MORE potential to be better than it actually was.

I know some people might bawk at this idea ... but I really wish that the TMNT games would return to a traditional 2D, beat-em-up style of game play. Falling in love with Sonic Mania this week made me really yearn for classic TMNT style of video games.

The FW series does get a lot of attention (some would say too much) but I would love for a new TMNT game to be such a nostalgia trip within that world. I think it would make more sense to do FW in a retro style since it would capture more attention possibly ... but give us different downloadable skins (1990 film, 2003 series, Mirage, 2012) and possibly different levels to play in that represent those eras.

Hopefully Activision doesn't renew the license (if they already dropped it by now) and TMNT falls in the hands of people who actually want to make something just a little bit more substantial.
__________________

27 years of loving everything Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle.
RaphaelinSTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 01:59 PM   #6
Andrew NDB
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 11,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaphaelinSTL View Post
I know some people might bawk at this idea ... but I really wish that the TMNT games would return to a traditional 2D, beat-em-up style of game play.
Terrible idea. We can balk at it or not, but no one is going to buy such a thing in 2017. Super tiny business model consisting of maybe 1,000 nostalgiacs and hipsters.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 10:16 AM   #7
pferreira
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaphaelinSTL View Post
I know some people might bawk at this idea ... but I really wish that the TMNT games would return to a traditional 2D, beat-em-up style of game play. Falling in love with Sonic Mania this week made me really yearn for classic TMNT style of video games.
That would be great. They should make a new beat'em but tie it into the FW series explicitly. I'd love to see a faithful recreation of the FW series as a game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Terrible idea. We can balk at it or not, but no one is going to buy such a thing in 2017. Super tiny business model consisting of maybe 1,000 nostalgiacs and hipsters.
The way you talk it's almost like Sonic Mania, Shovel Knight, Super Meatboy etc never happened. As Mikey might say "get with the program dude!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilSpooky View Post
This just proves how out of the loop you really are, you just live in your own little world and have no clue of what's going on in the video game scene, retro is the all the rage in the industry right now, even more so now that Sonic Mania managed to break the Sonic curse and the Crash trilogy being the best selling game for weeks in a row.
Retro games do really well, yes Andrew doesn't make much sense when he says they don't sell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
Well, to be fair, the original MMPR games back in the 90s weren't great brawlers either!
The first Snes game based of MMPR was good, the Mega Drive game based off the movie was pretty good as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
There's no way, say, "Mega Man 10" is doing the latest "Assassin's Creed" numbers, or anything. There is 0 appeal to anyone outside of our approximate generation.
Assassin's Creed was at the height of it's popularity when MM 10 came out and from what I understand it wasn't that great a game. You've unintentionally raised a really good point which is that games like AC and COD are slowly doing poorly due to saturation. No one really wants more of those games either judging by sales and reviews.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 07:41 PM   #8
turtlefanforever
Foot Elite
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 3,099
how?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allio View Post
I was really disappointed in this, I really wanted my idw videogame. it was only idw in asthetic only.
How?! Tom waltz wrote the damn thing!!
turtlefanforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 05:06 PM   #9
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 31,548
Well it wasn't actually part of IDW continuity, just loosely based on it. Same reason Armaggon and Wingnut were bosses in this game whereas they have no real appearances in IDW, Wingnut only a small cameo in the comic.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 05:29 PM   #10
ProphetofGanja
Mad Scientist
 
ProphetofGanja's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Dub Side of the Moon
Posts: 1,636
Yeah, I would have bought it if it was presented as at least like an alternate universe IDW TMNT, where instead of the events of the comics the events of the games happened. Maybe Shredder and Krang actually teaming up, something. I don't know why they would use the IDW art style but then include Armaggon and Wingnut
__________________
"Wait... what?"
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cferreira_is_loose_again, powder_the_cuck

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.