The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 03-30-2018, 11:14 AM   #41
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leomaru View Post
Am I the only one who finds it irritating that the turtles are still no match for splinter?
I don't like how the Turtles constantly can't win a fight in IDW, but I don't mind them still losing to Splinter.

He's their teacher; he knows their weaknesses and how to exploit that. Plus he's got tons more experience.

I'll gripe when they can't beat Leatherhead, or Hakkr, or Slash, or Shredder... but I'm still okay with Splinter winning each round.
Old 03-30-2018, 11:54 AM   #42
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

With Slash and Leatherhead, you'd think they would have learned from their fights with Krang.

Though, he couldn't really move very quickly because the suit and not being able to have a wide range of vision because of his glass, thus having to resort mostly to projectile weapons...and also wouldn't stop pontificating .

Slash and Leatherhead have the benefit of being really fast for their size.
They could have beat Slash if it weren't for that meddling Michelangelo. But he's going to be even harder to fight because of Bishop, who someone needs to realize is a great big glitter-bombed target since he insists on being on the scene every time.

Shredder is understandable for their struggle to beat, and so is Hakk-R. He's a slippery fella.

Last edited by Utrommaniac; 03-30-2018 at 12:03 PM.
Utrommaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 01:09 PM   #43
ChosenOne
Banned

There are some foes the Turtles should eventually be able to beat as a sort of "graduation" from their status as students. Shredder is the one that immediately comes to mind. Splinter, however, is not one of them. I'd be okay if they never could defeat him, just stalemate at the most.
ChosenOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 02:29 PM   #44
CyberCubed
Overlord

I liked that they took out the Elite Guards fairly easily, since we're rather "late" in the IDW run now. If this was earlier in the series the Turtles should have lost.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 04:01 PM   #45
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by PApagreg View Post
Okay issue the art was awful and the fight scenes were a bit on the boring side but the plot developed so I guess that's good
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmaczaps View Post
This issue seemed rushed... the art was sloppy... More detail please. Finish it even. Some panels were really bad...
I am glad I was not the only one thinking this

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Well, the original artist WAS unable to do #79 and #80. So it was actually rushed, probably.
Wow that stinks....
Redeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 05:09 PM   #46
Powder
So tired of this place

The art was not "awful" or "sloppy". It was stylized, & some of you didn't like it. & that's okay, but know the difference between something being objectively bad, & it not suiting your tastes.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 05:12 PM   #47
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
The art was not "awful" or "sloppy". It was stylized, & some of you didn't like it. & that's okay, but know the difference between something being objectively bad, & it not suiting your tastes.
No it was definately rushed
When I see a lack of faces on panels "blank faces" it was definitely rushed

Powder I do agree that this issue was stylized which is fine, but as I said above when you leave faces blank that is "rushed" or "sloppy"
Old 03-31-2018, 12:29 PM   #48
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
1. When people say something is awful usually they mean it was awful based on their subjective taste since art is mostly subjective.

2.Like Redeemer said there were a lot of instances of characters having blank faces so there is a reason why some people might think it was a bit sloppy.
Old 03-31-2018, 02:00 PM   #49
DrSpengler
Foot Elite

Here is my full summary and review of TMNT #80 at TMNT Entity.

All of the script elements were there, and save for a bit of an easy-out to resolve the invasion, this was a solidly written finale. Splinter and the Turtles finally going head to head was a big moment I'd been waiting for, but this was also a case where I was GLAD that it ended without a verdict. I want this struggle between them to keep going and get deeper and deeper; I'm enjoying the storyline that much.

But the art. Brahm Revel is a good artist and VERY good at layouts. But it was clear this was a rush job. Compare it to even the previous issue he did and the pared down, simplified aesthetics are obvious as well as the lack of detail in the environments (again, compared to last issue alone). His layouts still shine and this issue had the potential to look great, but it doesn't look finished. Many of the panels look like colored thumbnails.

That bugged me too much, especially for an issue that's a big deal in terms of the current storyarc and the ongoing character arc. I know that circumstances in deadlines and having to find an emergency replacement artist at short notice are likely what led to this, and it sucks for everybody that it happened this way. But once you've paid for the product, you have to look at what you've paid for and judge it accordingly. And it looks like I got a comic full of thumbnails.
DrSpengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 05:03 PM   #50
funatic
Mad Scientist

Was Damian Couceiro late on deadlines? I imagine he was supposed to finish this arc. I wonder if we will see him on future books now? Shame to lose him if so since he had a great style that suited the turtles.

Din't mind Brahm Revel's that much, pretty good dynamism for what was clearly a rush job. However if you're lurking in this thread, Bobby, I'm sure I speak for most of us when I say we wouldn't mind a later book if it equals more polished art. That was the Mirage guarantee after all!
funatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 05:28 PM   #51
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

I dunno, it's a balancing act. When Mateus and Cory swap in and out to help each with deadlines (Vengeance and Trial of Krang), I like it because they're both great artists.

But this... this was really, really rough.

It didn't occur to me before, but a big story arc like this really DID need much more detailed artwork. Previously, the less detailed and less refined artwork has usually been on smaller story arcs. Blood Brothers (the Turtles first meeting Slash), Sins of the Father, Mutanimals, the Turtles meeting the Street Phantoms (#51-52), and a bunch of mini-series and micro-series.

Compare that to the big story arcs: Secret History of the Foot Clan, Attack on Technodrome, Vengeance, Trial of Krang, City Fall, Shadows of the Past...

This wasn't great. DrSpengs really put a spotlight on the art, with some pretty damning language. And I can't argue with him at all.
Old 03-31-2018, 05:37 PM   #52
ChosenOne
Banned

It's interesting to read all these opinions on the art. I'm an odd case myself, as I'm usually all about the story and can't tell good or lacking art from the broad side of a barn, though I will on occasion praise specific artists who I think go above and beyond (such as Santolouco in the case of IDW TMNT). Having said that, even I felt there was something "off" about the art in this issue when I turned to the page where the Turtles fight the Elite Foot. It did not detract from my experience as much as it did others', but it was still very noticeable even for a layman like man. And I don't think that's a good sign.

Still, gotta give Brahm Revel credit where credit is due for sticking to the deadline and delivering as much as he could, in as little time as he apparently had. I hope he doesn't get too much flak, professionally speaking, for his artistic output in this issue.
ChosenOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 09:47 AM   #53
CyberCubed
Overlord

I liked the art during the Foot fight a lot, it had this "smear" look to it like the ninja's were fighting so fast it'd look like a blur in real life.

Also was this the first time the Turtles fought Elite Foot in IDW? I can't remember if they did around issues 48-50...
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 10:03 AM   #54
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I liked the art during the Foot fight a lot, it had this "smear" look to it like the ninja's were fighting so fast it'd look like a blur in real life.

Also was this the first time the Turtles fought Elite Foot in IDW? I can't remember if they did around issues 48-50...
I think the first time we saw the Foot Elite was when Shredder and Donatello were cutting a deal.

So yes, first time for the TMNT. Although the Foot Elite have previously fought Krang... and all died invading Burnow Island.
Old 04-03-2018, 10:10 AM   #55
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post

They're ninjas not speedsters there should't be a reason for the blur.
Old 04-03-2018, 11:52 AM   #56
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
I don't like how the Turtles constantly can't win a fight in IDW, but I don't mind them still losing to Splinter.

He's their teacher; he knows their weaknesses and how to exploit that. Plus he's got tons more experience.

I'll gripe when they can't beat Leatherhead, or Hakkr, or Slash, or Shredder... but I'm still okay with Splinter winning each round.
Ironic, since the Turtles essentially dominated their first major fight with Shredder in IDW #12! Leonardo even told him he was "unimpressed." Splinter, on the other hand, got diced up pretty good by Shredder in that same encounter (though without much visible blood and wounds).

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 12:08 PM   #57
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
Ironic, since the Turtles essentially dominated their first major fight with Shredder in IDW #12! Leonardo even told him he was "unimpressed." Splinter, on the other hand, got diced up pretty good by Shredder in that same encounter (though without much visible blood and wounds).
Splinter had done a bit more of a Gauntlet battle...

Which, actually, could go to show why they fared better in #12 and worse in #50. Going up against Shredder? Try to go in fresh off the bench. Otherwise, make sure Coach has a lot of ice and a stretcher waiting for you...
Old 04-03-2018, 02:16 PM   #58
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
You have that backwards I believe. In the Leonardo Micro it was Shredder who said "Im not impressed" and threw/knocked Leo off a construction site.
Old 04-03-2018, 02:23 PM   #59
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Yeah, Leo basically got his butt whooped in that chapter

[Opening bar of My Heart Will Go On]

(Hey whatever happened to the homeless lady in that micro, anyway? It's also kind of uncanny seeing Sophie's style like this, since this is clearly before she could really let loose on her trademark of cuteness)
Old 04-03-2018, 03:53 PM   #60
Mutant Ninja Anole
Stone Warrior

Ahem,

And then it was revisited later when Leo threw the line back at Shredder when they rescued Splinter in TMNT #12 I believe. Circumstances were a bit odd but that was what caused Shredder to target Leo as his 2nd in command.