The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 01-10-2012, 10:18 PM   #61
CyberCubed
Overlord

Its kind of funny when you look at the sales charts, and you realize TMNT is IDW's highest selling comic for a few months now.

The next IDW comic on that list is the Star Trek/Legion of Superheroes crossover...lol.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 08:15 AM   #62
Metropoliskid41
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Hm, on the one hand... between #4 and #5, the book lost over 3,000 readers. On the other, IDW TMNT at large (combining TMNT, Raphael #1, and Michelangelo #1) sold 54,305 copies in the month of December... and that's pretty massive, and the relatively close number between the core book and its specials probably have proved that such specials have sealegs. Also on the positive side, #5 still sold more copies than TMNT #2.

Also, I was looking back at an old blurb from Dan Berger -- and now, this has absolutely zero bearing on any comic book sales right now of any book, anywhere at any publisher right now -- it might interest people to know that, at its peak, TMNT Adventures at Archie was selling 400,000 copies an issue.

Also, a very true quote: "Comics sold well when they were 'cheap entertainment' - when they started costing a small fortune, kids (and/or their parents) migrated to more affordable entertainment and all that was left were 'addicted' adults, and that's where the death by attrition began."
True and we have to take into account availability of the product. In rural states like here in Iowa, there are places where the nearest comic shop is 60 miles. Thats definitely hurting sales for people that might read 4-5 books a month. Back when they were in grocery stores, pharmacies, drug stores, and newsstands sales had to be quite a bit higher just out of availability. My town was one of many that didn't have a comic shop so when they disappeared out of grocery stores I was SOL until I got my drivers license and could drive the 40 miles to the closest comic shop.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:04 AM   #63
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician

Im jst happy the TMNT is the highest selling property 4 IDW, but I am concerned by the drop off
Redeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 10:48 AM   #64
rich
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Curnow View Post
Everything is going way above expectations. So be happy!
Keeping with the happy thought theme...for 2011 TMNT #1 ranks 417 in quantity and 239 in sales ($$).

rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 01:18 PM   #65
Toby Barrett
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Its kind of funny when you look at the sales charts, and you realize TMNT is IDW's highest selling comic for a few months now.

The next IDW comic on that list is the Star Trek/Legion of Superheroes crossover...lol.
Just goes to show you that the TMNT are still a license to print money, you just have to use it properly.
And it seems that it's being used properly for the first time in years!
Toby Barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 05:15 PM   #66
azrael
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemer View Post
Im jst happy the TMNT is the highest selling property 4 IDW, but I am concerned by the drop off
all comics have a drop off in DEC, just due to Holidays.
Old 01-12-2012, 05:26 PM   #67
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich View Post
Keeping with the happy thought theme...for 2011 TMNT #1 ranks 417 in quantity and 239 in sales ($$).
Good to see IDW's Godzilla had fantastic sales for its first issue (ranked 54th in sales and 102nd in quantity). I don't buy the book, but I do hope it wets the U.S. appetite for a new 'Zilla film in the near future.

Quote:

Also, I was looking back at an old blurb from Dan Berger -- and now, this has absolutely zero bearing on any comic book sales right now of any book, anywhere at any publisher right now -- it might interest people to know that, at its peak, TMNT Adventures at Archie was selling 400,000 copies an issue.

Also, a very true quote: "Comics sold well when they were 'cheap entertainment' - when they started costing a small fortune, kids (and/or their parents) migrated to more affordable entertainment and all that was left were 'addicted' adults, and that's where the death by attrition began."
While there certainly are a handful of titles that I've followed in the last few years and they have brought me some great satisfaction, but I really do miss the good ol' 90s when comic were a great source of "cheap entertainment" for kids and kids-at-heart. Back then, I could buy Batman Adventures, TMNT Adventures, Sonic the Hedgehog, Animaniacs, etc. at my local small-town grocery store. Nowadays the only place to find comics on the shelf is a LCS specialty store occupied mostly by people in their 20s and 30s. It certainly is a change. Whether it's for the better or not I can't say.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!

Last edited by oldmanwinters; 01-12-2012 at 05:33 PM.
oldmanwinters is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 05:46 PM   #68
King Suck
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
Good to see IDW's Godzilla had fantastic sales for its first issue (ranked 54th in sales and 102nd in quantity). I don't buy the book, but I do hope it wets the U.S. appetite for a new 'Zilla film in the near future.

While there certainly are a handful of titles that I've followed in the last few years and they have brought me some great satisfaction, but I really do miss the good ol' 90s when comic were a great source of "cheap entertainment" for kids and kids-at-heart. Back then, I could buy Batman Adventures, TMNT Adventures, Sonic the Hedgehog, Animaniacs, etc. at my local small-town grocery store. Nowadays the only place to find comics on the shelf is a LCS specialty store occupied mostly by people in their 20s and 30s. It certainly is a change. Whether it's for the better or not I can't say.
As a kid the 80s were the golden age of comics for me.Comics and comic shops were everywhere. The whole Rob Liefield 90s had me get out of comics completely by 93 -95.

I jumped in and out with a few titles over the years until staying the long haul with a few Avatar titles and sticking with a few IDW titles. Still to this day I don't touch the big 2 or any superhero stuff anymore.
King Suck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 09:19 PM   #69
Venom
Space Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
I'm sure the 100-some odd retailer incentive covers had nothing to do with that.
Old 02-06-2012, 07:23 PM   #70
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Final sales figures aren't in yet, but TMNT #6 placed at precisely #100, 3 spots ahead of TMNT #5... unless comic book sales went down across the board in January then TMNT #6 outsold #5.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 09:31 PM   #71
CyberCubed
Overlord

As long as it remains IDW's highest selling comic I don't think we have anything to worry about.
Old 02-06-2012, 09:46 PM   #72
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrael View Post
all comics have a drop off in DEC, just due to Holidays.
I should have guessed, so it will probably pick back up then
Old 02-06-2012, 10:26 PM   #73
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
As long as it remains IDW's highest selling comic I don't think we have anything to worry about.
Certainly not.

I don't think we've quite reached a point where we can say sales have completely leveled off... but it's starting to look like like long-term pastures are pretty green. And possibly (though Vol. 2 sales aren't really charted anywhere) looking at the strongest, most consistent start sales-wise in a TMNT comic book series since the Archie series -- and that lasted over 70 issues.
Old 02-07-2012, 12:26 AM   #74
CyberCubed
Overlord

I assume IDW is turning a profit, what % of sales goes to Nick?

Likewise I don't know IDW's financial situation, so assuming catastrophe doesn't strike with them having to cancel half their titles to avoid bankruptcy, I don't see any reason to be concerned.

I just want a solid 5 year run of this series at the least, because that would give plenty of time to flesh out the universe. Any more than that is just icing on the cake.
Old 02-07-2012, 02:51 AM   #75
Matches Malone
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Certainly not.

I don't think we've quite reached a point where we can say sales have completely leveled off... but it's starting to look like like long-term pastures are pretty green. And possibly (though Vol. 2 sales aren't really charted anywhere) looking at the strongest, most consistent start sales-wise in a TMNT comic book series since the Archie series -- and that lasted over 70 issues.
Is there a particular source you are getting sales chart numbers for the past TMNT volumes? I'd definitely be interested in checking those numbers out.
Old 02-07-2012, 06:24 AM   #76
ToTheNines
[sic]

Quote:
I don't think Nick gets a sales percentage, I'm pretty sure IDW just has to pay a set licensing fee.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 07:39 AM   #77
Hardshell
Foot Soldier

The numbers for January:

100 TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES ONGOING #6 18,773

http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/22085.html

Holding strong!
Hardshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 04:01 PM   #78
CyberCubed
Overlord

Considering IDW's Jurassic Park comic came in at #300:

JURASSIC PARK DANGEROUS GAMES #5 2,606

I don't think we have anything to worry about. How can IDW keep that series going when it hits 300, but TMNT makes 100 and we're acting like the series is in trouble? Seriously.
Old 02-07-2012, 04:22 PM   #79
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician

Quote:

Likewise I don't know IDW's financial situation, so assuming catastrophe doesn't strike with them having to cancel half their titles to avoid bankruptcy, I don't see any reason to be concerned.

I just want a solid 5 year run of this series at the least, because that would give plenty of time to flesh out the universe. Any more than that is just icing on the cake.
Amen!!!!! I would jst hate the series to end on a cliff hanger....... But I think this series will be awesome
Old 02-07-2012, 06:51 PM   #80
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matches Malone View Post
Is there a particular source you are getting sales chart numbers for the past TMNT volumes? I'd definitely be interested in checking those numbers out.
All we have on the Archie series is Dan's comment about the hundred-plus thousand copies a month at its peak. On Mirage we know that at least until somewhere after Return to New York was selling pretty damn well. For Vol. 3 we can see most of those sales figures on the same place, same link I'm getting the month-to-month figures now. Dreamwave you can find on there as well, if anyone's interested.

Quote:
I don't think we have anything to worry about. How can IDW keep that series going when it hits 300, but TMNT makes 100 and we're acting like the series is in trouble? Seriously.
Who's acting like it's in trouble? Early warning signs of "trouble" would be bleeding thousands of readers/issues every month which, at a certain point, becomes chartable ending at a certain unsustainable point... but that doesn't seem to be what's happening at all.

Tags
comic discussion