The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 10-31-2012, 02:59 PM   #121
Redrumh2o
Mad Scientist

Lets see them!

I will hopefully have my hands on mine this weekend!
Redrumh2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 03:31 PM   #122
Coro
Mad Scientist

Just unboxed my Blue label. Pics incoming...
(please forgive the cell phone camera)
Spoiler:

More pics to follow...

Last edited by Coro; 10-31-2012 at 04:17 PM.
Coro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 03:53 PM   #123
Coro
Mad Scientist

Here you have it- All the meat and potatoes of the Blue label #8 of 10...
(please forgive the cell phone camera)

Spoiler:

Last edited by Coro; 10-31-2012 at 04:17 PM.
Old 10-31-2012, 04:07 PM   #124
Coro
Mad Scientist

Quick Review:

The box it was shipped in was well protected as you would expect from the costs associated with it. I went straight for the book inside for the signature plate. The book is awesome and is embossed in several locations. Overall happy with the book.

The main reason I bought a Blue label though...the Duncan art. I was VERY pleased to get a representation of the #1 covers spread across the page. 1 tiny nit pick here is that the case that holds the art is very tight around the paper. If you don't close it properly it could bend the left edge of the art. Rest of the box was pretty good as well, but the art makes it worth it for me.

Thanks Dan and everyone else involved!

Last edited by Coro; 10-31-2012 at 04:24 PM.
Old 10-31-2012, 04:13 PM   #125
Redrumh2o
Mad Scientist

Awesome art! As soon as I saw it I noticed they were in the #1 poses.....very awesome!
Old 10-31-2012, 05:36 PM   #126
rich
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMNTerminator View Post
WOW...I am so happy I stopped collecting tmnt comics when the IDW run started. I'd be LOSING MY MIND, since as a completionist, I'd have to have one of each of these (no matter the "realities" if they are "really" different from each other). Fortunately, I'm content with digital material regarding this run and can put my time and resources into original art. Because between this and all those variant covers for the regular run...sheesh.

It was honestly hard enough to get all versions from the original run (printings, appearances, etc.) Getting a Gold Turtlemania, one of a ten print run, took a collecting lifetime to achieve and finally completed my run. But now print runs of 10 seem like they might be the norm. I have no idea how you all can stomach this. I mean, its one thing to chase after an error cover printing or something non-intentional, maybe a special collected book every now and again. But what's been going here since the inception...but I guess this is what they call fan/collector service nowadays. Maybe I'm just an old fogey...!

All of that said, those of you who are taking on this herculean task, I salute you! We collectors come in a million shapes and sizes, with a million difference focuses, and the way I see it, if you are plowing your cash into Reds, Blacks, & Blues, then hopefully that means a little less cash out there for those things I do enjoy purchasing.
Was re-reading some of this thread and saw this post. Great post and great insights...not sure how I missed it the first time.

Like you, I've been a TMNT completist (completionist) for years. While I haven't stopped with the new IDW stuff, as of this Limited Edition book I've come to the realization that it's just no longer financially responsible or wise for me personally to continue seeking every TMNT variant with all that IDW is putting out. So, for this book I decided to just purchase a Red edition.

Now, add to this that IDW plans to do this "Red, Black, Blue" edition for more and then today's release of two $100/each Jetpack TMNT Annual variants...it's truly now impossible for me to keep up financially. So, I'll keep collecting what I can but it's a sad day to realize you just can't continue as desired with a lifelong hobby.

Last edited by rich; 10-31-2012 at 08:31 PM.
rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 08:55 PM   #127
Redrumh2o
Mad Scientist

Anyone else?
Old 10-31-2012, 09:26 PM   #128
zodach
Foot Soldier

I just unpacked black label #8 when I got home tonight. This is a very impressive set in hand and the Duncan art is awesome! Click the spoiler tag below to see some pics. And natecm, feel free to post these on the IDW Limited Facebook page if you want.

Spoiler:

Last edited by zodach; 10-31-2012 at 09:38 PM.
zodach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:37 PM   #129
Metropoliskid41
Stone Warrior

WOW THOSE LOOK FANTASTIC!!! I can't wait to see my Red Edition!

Great OA pieces from Dan, very cool team piece of the Turtles in the #1 Poses you have there Coro!

Both of those have great scenes chosen for the Signature Plate. Those really are gorgeous collections.
Old 11-01-2012, 12:23 AM   #130
TheCanadiandrome
Big, Bad & Bold

Location: Inside the Technodrome; Shredderville; Saskatchewan
God damn! Ok so i kinda regret not gettin one now

Add me: PSN/XBL; Nintendo Network ID: BDS-3.1.6; Switch FC: SW-3378-5206-8020

TMNT Fan Club: http://sot.ag/4jZR0

Visit My Wish List:
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=30904

My Collection:
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=40276
TheCanadiandrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:59 AM   #131
rich
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coro View Post
Here you have it- All the meat and potatoes of the Blue label #8 of 10...
Quote:
Originally Posted by zodach View Post
I just unpacked black label #8 when I got home tonight.
These are beautiful books. Nice pickup !! Thanks for sharing the pics.

Old 11-01-2012, 10:06 AM   #132
natecm
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by zodach View Post
I just unpacked black label #8 when I got home tonight. This is a very impressive set in hand and the Duncan art is awesome! Click the spoiler tag below to see some pics. And natecm, feel free to post these on the IDW Limited Facebook page if you want.

Spoiler:

Glad you're happy, and thank you we'd love to share your pics.
natecm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:09 AM   #133
natecm
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metropoliskid41 View Post
WOW THOSE LOOK FANTASTIC!!! I can't wait to see my Red Edition!

Great OA pieces from Dan, very cool team piece of the Turtles in the #1 Poses you have there Coro!

Both of those have great scenes chosen for the Signature Plate. Those really are gorgeous collections.
Red Label's shipping very soon. It's awesome. Very happy with the spot color pieces Dan Duncan did for those and it's a very nice slip case.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:13 AM   #134
OA
Scatter the nuns!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich View Post
Now, add to this that IDW plans to do this "Red, Black, Blue" edition for more and then today's release of two $100/each Jetpack TMNT Annual variants...it's truly now impossible for me to keep up financially. So, I'll keep collecting what I can but it's a sad day to realize you just can't continue as desired with a lifelong hobby.
Yep, that's really what irks me most about this: this is targeted at collectors (since most "casual" fans wouldn't buy a book that they already have a collected version of, esp. at these prices). Is it really fan-service to put out something that is virtually identical to what is already out there (minus some vellum, foil, etc.) at such a high price? And 3 versions? And with the hope to potentially release these $700 triple sets quarterly?! Yes, I get that there is some Duncan art in there, at a price that would be probably be lower than if you commisioned him directly. That said, you have NO input in what kind of art you'd be getting (in this package) so I think that washes out price differences.

IMO, its a complete money grab. Which is fine since they are a business and the point is to grab as much money as possible. And nobody is forced to buy. I'm just speaking as a lowly completionist, and what IDW has been doing from the getgo is an absolute nightmare with all these variants, jetpacks, etc.(isn't there something like 10 different covers for issue #1 alone?) And since I feel that sets like these are probably targeted at completionists, and since in this thread alone a number of people who are a bit miffed are also completeionists, I think its a valid point to bring up.

But if everybody keeps buying everything they put out, what incentive is there on their part to change?
Old 11-01-2012, 10:18 AM   #135
Metropoliskid41
Stone Warrior

Unfortunately I'll have to wait until Christmas to open & see my red edition

Quote:
I'm just speaking as a lowly completionist, and what IDW has been doing from the getgo is an absolute nightmare with all these variants, jetpacks, etc.(isn't there something like 10 different covers for issue #1 alone?)
18 different version of #1, but who's counting?

See them on all on Rich's site here:
http://www.tmnt-ninjaturtles.com/blo...ariant-covers/
Old 11-01-2012, 10:36 AM   #136
FoxZerro
Stone Warrior

Quote:
What are these $100 variants you speak of... which covers are they/where can I see them?
FoxZerro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:42 AM   #137
rich
Mad Scientist

Quote:
isn't there something like 10 different covers for issue #1 alone?)
18 covers...counting all the specials and ashcan editions.

Quote:
But if everybody keeps buying everything they put out, what incentive is there on their part to change?
Exactly Danny. Which is why I just can't justify keeping up with everything IDW puts out. I was really upset when IDW released Vol. 1-3 of the Ultimate Collections for pickup ONLY at SDCC this year (no shipping). When something like that then turns up on eBay all over the place for $500+...that's just maddening.

So, I'll do my best to keep up with the comic book part but many of these limited-special-ultra-mega-rare collected editions are just now out of my collecting scope. I know this type of stuff is just the progression of where the comic book business is headed and it's about money (which I can't blame them for...that's why they're in the business). So, instead of getting upset I just have to adapt how and what I collect now. I still enjoy collecting and always will. Everyone's collection is unique and that's what makes it so great to interface with all of you...seeing what everyone collects and has is really fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxZerro View Post
What are these $100 variants you speak of... which covers are they/where can I see them?
I have the covers here on my site. Go to ebay here to see the prices.

Old 11-01-2012, 01:35 PM   #138
natecm
Hench Mutant

Coro,

Your pictures are now an official IDW Publishing tumblr gallery. We're all very excited to see the books in your collection.

http://tumblr.idwpublishing.com/post...5/tmntunboxing

Zodach,

I'm going to post your stuff on the IDWLimited facebook page today or tomorrow.
Old 11-01-2012, 02:28 PM   #139
lilmotto
Stone Warrior

I got a cool piece with Raph and Old Hob for my Black edition!
Old 11-01-2012, 03:21 PM   #140
OA
Scatter the nuns!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metropoliskid41 View Post
18 different version of #1, but who's counting?
Goodness gracious....!

Quote:
I just have to adapt how and what I collect now. I still enjoy collecting and always will.
That's exactly it. I've made the adjustment a couple years back. Archon sounds like he's starting to make moves. It sucks that it's sort of a forced evolution but dems the times I guess!