The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Rise of the TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 09-29-2018, 02:51 PM   #21
miru
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
The adults trying to make this show about them are going to perpetually be very, very sad pandas.
I've gone from a sad panda to a dead panda already. Apathetic beyond making some filler-related jokes.
Old 09-29-2018, 05:47 PM   #22
Mewzard
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autbot_Benz View Post
Like I have said before many times this show was created for the children of this generation the ones who have the attention span of fleas and can only pay attention to 11 minutes of programming before they lose interest.
11 minute episodes are not a new concept.

Look at Ed, Edd n Eddy, it started in 1999 and had 11 minute episodes paired up in one 30 minute block. Hell, Dexter's Lab back in 1996 was often three 8 minute episodes put together in a 30 minute block.

So yeah, saying it's just this generation for 2018 cartoon watches given we've had stuff like this 20 years ago is a bit off.
Mewzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 06:53 PM   #23
victory_angel
Foot Elite

I'm not particularly a fan of this series myself. But I do watch it to see where its planning on going. The show is trying to do a lot of one-off adventures to establish villains like "The Foot" "Draxum" and "Meatsweats", MS is the only villain who has had two appearances thus far and is the most formidable since he can absorb the power and ability of any mutant.

So far we haven't seen a mutant being completely drained since that Silverfish mutant scampers away when Meatsweats is distracted by the Turtles. And the cobra mutant he was draining is tossed aside when he forces the turtles to stop chasing him when he releases also those mutant animals he has in his truck.

It is implied that his absorbing of mutants can be lethal but we have never seen it get to that point. I can imagine a mutant that has been completely drained of their mutant energy being like that old man that was drained by Cell on Dragon Ball Z.

And it's unclear if the power he absorbs from the creature is permanent or temporary. For example in his bio says that when he turns into Mini-meats when he's hit, but we have only seen that happen once. So if that's a permanent power gained by the Silverfish, wouldn't the spitting acid also be a permanent power.

We are also seeing some slice of life episodes where the Turtles which develops the relationships between them though it doesn't really develop them as characters entirely. We do see some character development occasionally such as Donnie wanting to improve his brother's behavior in battle. And the other turtles complaining about the gifts he created for them but yet still commenting they don't know how to approach him about that because he is a soft shell, not because he's literally a soft-shelled turtle. But rather because they knew him well enough to know how sensitive he could be.
Then at the end, Donnie admits he was wrong for trying to improve them and they forgive him for it.

or Splinter being afraid of Donnie, because when Donnie is mad at him he forces Splinter to watch educational channels on TV.

Splinter seems to really like that one actor from those Lou-Jitsu shows. I have seen theories that Splinter could be that actor, which would be part of the obsession with that character because he is remembering life the way it had once been. Such as how in the 2k12 show, we know Bradford before he became a mutant had once been a TV actor and then one ep where Razar is marathoning his old show and says "I remember when we filmed this."

I don't mind that we haven't heard an origin to how the Turtle's met April. That is bound to be explained when the show is ready. All we know for sure is that it's implied Draxum had mutated the Turtles. I don't have the source, but I heard that Draxum is associated with the Foot Clan. So far aside from the Foot Lieutenant and the Foot Brute, we haven't seen anything associated with the Foot in general, so Draxum may still be a separate villain. Shredder is also going to be introduced somewhere down the line. So this series still has its problems, but it's trying to take TMNT in a direction it hasn't really gone before. There are bound to have some issues with the presentation.

Last edited by victory_angel; 09-30-2018 at 01:51 AM.
victory_angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 01:06 AM   #24
Ninjinister
無問題

In the words of Neil Patrick Harris: "The status is not quo."
Old 10-02-2018, 03:56 PM   #25
CyberCubed
Overlord

Having caught up on all the eps so far, the Turtles are just basically having fun adventures where they bump into other mutants. The mutants do live in the underground city and in some areas seperated by portals that only mutants can visit.

The Foot have only been in one ep so far, so we don't know about anything about them and Splinter's connection yet, and if Splinter is faking the whole "deadbeat dad" thing. I do think they'll give us a flashback to how the Turtles/April met eventually.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 06:54 PM   #26
Garfield
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mewzard View Post
11 minute episodes are not a new concept.

Look at Ed, Edd n Eddy, it started in 1999 and had 11 minute episodes paired up in one 30 minute block. Hell, Dexter's Lab back in 1996 was often three 8 minute episodes put together in a 30 minute block.

So yeah, saying it's just this generation for 2018 cartoon watches given we've had stuff like this 20 years ago is a bit off.
Thank You!

It's like people forget freaking Looney Tunes, Tom and Jerry and all the other eight to ten minute cartoon shorts that have been that way for decades and decades. Type "Steamboat Willy" into the search engine on youtube, that's like the first...or one of the first Mickey Mouse cartoons and its only seven minutes long, and it was made in like 1928. But hey...we gotta put on our old man socks and rag on little kids and their attention spans... I mean, it's not like they're still developing mentally or anything like that . And all the while its the (some) fans in the 30's and up bitching and moaning about how their cartoon turtles aren't "adult" enough.
Garfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 09:24 PM   #27
Leo656
The Franchise

This show is just like the Bay movies, where "If you hate it, you're an old grouch."

Y'know, in spite of all the REASONS people give for why they don't like it, or why they'd prefer something else. Nah, it's not about taste and standards. "You're just old."

Y'know what's old? That f*cking defense.

If "It's for kids, so shut up and go away if you don't like it" is a thing we're going with, then... technically, if you're older than 10 and you like it... YOU'RE too old to matter, too, so why should YOUR opinion mean anything, either? On one side, it's "old people yelling at clouds", and on the other, "manchildren defending something that's not even theirs to defend."

I've been pretty quiet about it because I absolutely, definitely, 100% see nothing in this show, I won't be watching it, and that's that. I gave my honest opinion, was told to go away, and y'know, it's really not worth my time to argue about, so fine, I said what I think and it doesn't need to be said a million times. But I get pretty annoyed when I see people insulting anyone who has a negative opinion of it, so every now and then I feel compelled to say something. Everyone is allowed to have a voice; if you don't like what they say, don't listen. The amount of childishness I've seen surrounding this show isn't as bad as the Bay films yet, but I can see it heading there.

Some people don't like it. They're going to explain why, repeatedly, in detail. That's their right. Forums don't exist under "Like Everything Or Shut Up" rules. The "old people yelling at clouds" stuff needs to stop.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 09:49 PM   #28
Dejablue
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfield View Post
Thank You!

It's like people forget freaking Looney Tunes, Tom and Jerry and all the other eight to ten minute cartoon shorts that have been that way for decades and decades. Type "Steamboat Willy" into the search engine on youtube, that's like the first...or one of the first Mickey Mouse cartoons and its only seven minutes long, and it was made in like 1928. But hey...we gotta put on our old man socks and rag on little kids and their attention spans... I mean, it's not like they're still developing mentally or anything like that . And all the while its the (some) fans in the 30's and up bitching and moaning about how their cartoon turtles aren't "adult" enough.

Literally none of those examples are trying to tell a complex story. They are slice of life comedies. Also note none of them are action shows. I'm simply saying 11 minutes is a poor format for action. If My Little Pony can do 22 minutes then why can't TMNT? In the grand scheme of things girls cartoons are literally the worst, nobody cares about them and boys cartoons are typically taken more seriously. The only reason Rise is 11 minutes is for 1 of 2 reasons. It's either cheaper, or children are too ADHD to watch a 22 minute long cartoon.(It's probably both but mostly the first one) 11 minutes is fine if the show is an accommodating genre. An action show, I'd argue, is not. Especially when the action has to share those precious seconds with hit or miss jokes. Nothing has time to set up, no anticipation, no real pay off. It's like if Bugs Bunny and Sonic the Hedgehog had a baby. That's this show.

I'd rather just have 11 minutes of well animated action. Rise has shown me that it can look pretty darn good when it wants to be but so far that's been pretty rare. We probably won't even see Baron Cena again until the finale of the season, because the network couldn't afford to keep Cena for more than just a couple of episodes, so his character won't be recurring often, sooo the story suffers for it. I really don't get why celebrity voice actors are a hot commodity, what child watching this show would even care?

^^^^
SHELLHEADS Inc.- A TMNT Discord!

Last edited by Dejablue; 10-02-2018 at 10:00 PM.
Dejablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 10:07 PM   #29
Garfield
Hench Mutant

Looney Tunes, Tom and Jerry, Mickey Mouse, and Rise of the TMNT are goof ball comedies.

They are not trying to be a story heavy kind of thing. I think people are misunderstanding. I'm not trying to convince anyone that Rise of TMNT is a good show. DON'T like it if it isn't your thing, it doesn't matter to me. My response was to the poster talking about cartoons being shorter because kids have short attention these days and I pointed out that there are cartoons from the 1920's that are even shorter and kids have small attention spans because they are still developing mentally. And its a little ironic to me that people rag on kids and their attention spans then suddenly being miffed about silly acting ninja turtles. I can't put it anymore literal than this.

Last edited by Garfield; 10-02-2018 at 10:33 PM.
Garfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 10:33 PM   #30
Dejablue
Stone Warrior

On a slightly off note...how dare you compare Ed, Edd, n Eddy to Rise.

How dare you.

How could you?

^^^^
SHELLHEADS Inc.- A TMNT Discord!
Dejablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 11:00 PM   #31
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

This might be a way for Nick to cleanse the palate and lower the bar a bit (and expectations) before they attempt a somewhat more serious take in animated form. Jumping straight from 2012 to such a thing might have been counter intuitive.

<-- me being slightly optimistic, but ultimately apathetical.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 11:36 PM   #32
Leo656
The Franchise

Short-segment cartoons are not a new thing, no.

I've been giving it some thought, and I think I can kind of sum up the frustration that I, and perhaps a few others, are feeling at the current state of the TMNT franchise.

- I feel like, even after all this time, the Very Best TMNT Stories still haven't been told.

- The potential the franchise holds to tell those stories will absolutely not be realized within the constraints of a sketch comedy aimed at young children.

- Most of all, it's becoming more and more crystal clear with each passing year that so long as Nick holds the rights, we're all going to be getting a lot more stuff like "Rise", and further and further away from the franchise's still-untapped potential.

A little bit of stuff "for tha kidz" is fine, but that's all we're ever going to get, forever, and that's not even what the brand was created to be, let alone where its best stories are. Is this what we're collectively willing to settle for? "It's not for me so whatever, at least they're making more toys?" That's an admission of defeat.

I hate kids and I don't buy a lot of toys anymore, and yet, it would be nice to keep liking TMNT. I've liked it for a very long time, but only the parts that appealed to me; at present, there are none. Will there ever be again? Highly doubtful. It's upsetting. I'm essentially being told by the license-holders to f*ck off because I'm physically incapable of wiring my brain to match the patterns of a 5 year old. For wanting someone to raise the bar, rather than keep lowering it.

Some of us have just been waiting a long time, hoping for something that we now realize isn't ever going to happen. With a side dish of, "Ha-ha, you actually ever saw this franchise as anything but a joke. Nitwit."

Sucks. Not a good feeling. I for one wouldn't mind this show existing if there was ANY sign at all that Nick would ever deign to present us with something in the vein of the first film, at the absolute least. But they're not, ever, and it's incredibly frustrating.

Ah well.

Old 10-03-2018, 01:23 AM   #33
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I feel you entirely. And while what you want and what I want to see might be somewhat differently, I think the hope either of us may have had died in 2009.

I'm happy to see Nick prove me wrong. It just hasn't happened yet and all signs point to more of the same. I wasn't holding out hope before and I'm not holding out any hope now.

Look forward to 10 new origins of Bebop and Rocksteady and stuff over the next 20 years. With variations of Krang and Technodrome and wacky mutations and recycled Fred Wolf stuff over and over, like the dog eating and pooing out its own poo. Pretty much. Blegh.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 10-03-2018 at 01:29 AM.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 02:31 AM   #34
newfan
Mad Scientist

Also agreed on the point of there not being something else too, catering for a wider age group (besides the comics I mean) we see this elsewhere in things like DC and Marvel.
Course with TMNT so many do want different things, I don't think they will win in that respect but at least can please a good handful of fans?

So far as this show though, they said what it was going to be from the start and while I get people don't like that we have this, so far as judging the show itself goes, I would judge it among other toons of it's type as that is what it's meant to be, if that makes any sense.

Last edited by newfan; 10-03-2018 at 03:13 AM.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 09:55 AM   #35
miru
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Short-segment cartoons are not a new thing, no.

I've been giving it some thought, and I think I can kind of sum up the frustration that I, and perhaps a few others, are feeling at the current state of the TMNT franchise.

- I feel like, even after all this time, the Very Best TMNT Stories still haven't been told.

- The potential the franchise holds to tell those stories will absolutely not be realized within the constraints of a sketch comedy aimed at young children.

- Most of all, it's becoming more and more crystal clear with each passing year that so long as Nick holds the rights, we're all going to be getting a lot more stuff like "Rise", and further and further away from the franchise's still-untapped potential.

A little bit of stuff "for tha kidz" is fine, but that's all we're ever going to get, forever, and that's not even what the brand was created to be, let alone where its best stories are. Is this what we're collectively willing to settle for? "It's not for me so whatever, at least they're making more toys?" That's an admission of defeat.

I hate kids and I don't buy a lot of toys anymore, and yet, it would be nice to keep liking TMNT. I've liked it for a very long time, but only the parts that appealed to me; at present, there are none. Will there ever be again? Highly doubtful. It's upsetting. I'm essentially being told by the license-holders to f*ck off because I'm physically incapable of wiring my brain to match the patterns of a 5 year old. For wanting someone to raise the bar, rather than keep lowering it.

Some of us have just been waiting a long time, hoping for something that we now realize isn't ever going to happen. With a side dish of, "Ha-ha, you actually ever saw this franchise as anything but a joke. Nitwit."

Sucks. Not a good feeling. I for one wouldn't mind this show existing if there was ANY sign at all that Nick would ever deign to present us with something in the vein of the first film, at the absolute least. But they're not, ever, and it's incredibly frustrating.

Ah well.
Hey, about IDW, I think you might be able to get used trades for cheaper.
Old 10-03-2018, 02:08 PM   #36
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Yeah, I'm not sure I'd consider Looney Tunes, Tom and Jerry, etc to be suitable comparisons. They may be good examples of mindless cartoon comedy shorts and the long history in animation it has, but did they actually start out as a property with a much more serious edge? Eh, no. They've always been what they were intended, but TMNT isn't them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
This might be a way for Nick to cleanse the palate and lower the bar a bit (and expectations) before they attempt a somewhat more serious take in animated form. Jumping straight from 2012 to such a thing might have been counter intuitive.

<-- me being slightly optimistic, but ultimately apathetical.
Kinda been my hope too that it will turn out that way. That this will end up working out as just a break and getting bad ideas out of the way now that we can skip doing again down the road.

I suppose if I had a choice if some of these stupid decisions were done in a stupid show or a smart, well written one... well, I guess I would prefer it happen here, albeit still distasteful and disappointing.

Though like some things in the the Bay films it carries with it a fear that Nick will decide it likes things this way and might stick to what it's doing in future incarnations. And it's gonna be a while to find out. (Though a next film that's actually good and not like this series would help.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
I've been giving it some thought...
And much of that too.

I just haven't given up hope like you guys have. Kind of kills me a little to feel like I'm losing trust in Nickelodeon though. Nick is only 3 weeks older than I am (sans its short earlier start as Pinwheel), it's an old friend in a way and I don't think first generation "Nick kids" ever really quite stop being Nick kids.

Kids content is fine, but I despise the determination to trap them in being "just a kid's thing," and worse when fans disappointingly even support that notion and tell others to shut it. It can always be a part of who they are, that is fine and totally welcome and is a big part of how they got to where they are of course, but it isn't ALL that they are. I love the fun stuff too. But dumbing them down for 5-year-olds and insisting that is what TMNT should be... come on. And while new generations are very welcome to JOIN the rest of us, this older set that had them first isn't going to be entirely passing that torch until we're all old and dead, sorry.

If the Turtles have to be drastically altered just to appeal to the kiddies now for some reason, then bring the creativity back and give them some all new heroes of their very own they can look up to. Characters awesome enough that they would one day defend them too and be equally attached to them.

It all makes this all the more absurd though: "Nickelodeon targets ‘a broader demographic than we ever have before’", or so they say in light of this relaunch of the property. NOW they're interested? Despite supposedly trying to go younger with this one. I'm so confused...

Side note, I'm still disappointed that they dropped the ball on Half Shell Heroes. Would have been such a great example on trying to separately aim at two demographics at once.

Last edited by IndigoErth; 10-03-2018 at 02:15 PM.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 02:26 PM   #37
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by miru View Post
Hey, about IDW, I think you might be able to get used trades for cheaper.
I have a chunk of the first year or two. It's fine, but I didn't love it like everyone tells me I should.

Indigo: Hah, I remember "Pinwheel", albeit very vaguely. Like you, I grew up on Nick, and have a lot of fond memories, but that was a long time ago. When they purchased TMNT, I openly said that I expected only the worst, specifically because a company whose only reason to exist is to sell toys to little kids is NOT the best company to handle TMNT, which CAN be so much more than a toy commercial.

Or could have been, at any rate.

It is what it is.

Old 10-05-2018, 02:59 PM   #38
Vegeta
Hench Mutant

I'm not really into mcu movies and disney star wars as their soulless corporate cookie cutter retreads but disney doing a TMNT Cartoon or film would be a miracle compared to the trash we're getting now. Honestly those bay movies and this rise cartoon are a series low point and this is a franchise with the out of our shells tour and next mutation in it's history.

I feel bad for the folks who don't even like the IDW series, like whats left for you of this franchise?
Old 10-07-2018, 02:06 AM   #39
Mewzard
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejablue View Post
Literally none of those examples are trying to tell a complex story. They are slice of life comedies. Also note none of them are action shows. I'm simply saying 11 minutes is a poor format for action.
Well, Steven Universe is an action show with some comedy bits that has had some major story focus at several periods (especially the most recent season), and it works well for the most part (could argue a bit too much slice of life/"filler" stuff between the story, but that's subjective).

I honestly don't think the show would be all that different with 22 minute episodes vs what it is now. It might have more breathing room, but if they want a longer episode for some major story stuff, they can just do a two parter back to back.
Mewzard is offline   Reply With Quote