The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 05-23-2018, 03:49 PM   #41
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
As I said I really think Null needs a whole mini event to herself. Her plotline has literally just been there in the background for like...4 years or whatever, and it moves at a snails pace. Just have the Mutanimals or some of the Turtles go try and stop Null/Zodi and the alien invasion (most likely by Maligna) like in Archie.
That's par for the course with most IDW TMNT villains. I'm down for that idea of yours, though!
ChosenOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 04:05 PM   #42
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

If IDW is going to do another ongoing book, and it's not Universe, then it has to be something different, not just Universe 2.0... which means it's probably not in the main IDW continuity.

Something in the vein of the 30th Anniversary, or a rotating lineup of different incarnations, seems possible.

I'd rather have Universe.
Old 05-23-2018, 04:34 PM   #43
CyberCubed
Overlord

I don't think they'll do other Turtle universes, the 30th anniversary is one thing but there's no reason to continue that. Mirage is basically not likely unless Jim Lawson or Dan Berger are contracted to work for IDW, and Image is already getting 3 new issues by Frank/Gary so it won't get more on top of that.

Archie will only happen if Murphy decided to do The Forever War, but not a regular series.

Then comics based on the cartoons is probably unlikely, I mean we already got a 50+ issue run based on the Nick cartoon, and Rise of the TMNT is probably getting its own ongoing comic anyway. I mean some issues set in the 2k3 universe would be cool but not anything to get that excited for.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 04:51 PM   #44
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
and Rise of the TMNT is probably getting its own ongoing comic anyway.
Pretty sure Bobby announced that already.

Just curious, but how well did the 30th anniversary special sell?
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 05:12 PM   #45
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

If it had to end, 25 is a good stopping place. Better than 24 or 26. I wonder what the odds are that TMNT ongoing doesn’t make it to issue 101? I’m sure another ongoing will eventually take its place. Just like the cartoons. Have a successful run and then reboot on somewhat of a high note.
TurtleWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 05:25 PM   #46
spookycookies
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
If IDW is going to do another ongoing book, and it's not Universe, then it has to be something different, not just Universe 2.0... which means it's probably not in the main IDW continuity.

Something in the vein of the 30th Anniversary, or a rotating lineup of different incarnations, seems possible.

I'd rather have Universe.
I'm pretty sure it'll just be the same content that we would have got in universe but packaged as different miniseries. When IDW publishes new material I would like it to be about their established universe for the most part. I love THESE Turtles so much that it would be a real shame for their page count to bow to Mirage/Wolf TMNT stories that would just be shallow nostalgia cash-ins.

We need more minis like SHOTC, Turtles in Time & Mutanimals. We need a book that spends more time with each turtle individually while also fostering side characters who need more screen time. It's a shame Universe didn't get a Raph & Casey story. The Turtles bumping into their alternate incarnations was a novel idea but why would we need to keep coming back to that? Some of the neatest parts of IDW's TMNT is when it pays homage to the past series, maybe it should stick to that instead of just rolling out the red bandanna carpet.

IDW's TMNT has almost always had a supporting book to hold the "bigness" of it's universe. Yes the current format of this concept failed to sell but that doesn't mean that the idea is bad just the way it was presented. Now we go back to $4 a month minis just as we have been all along.
spookycookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 05:36 PM   #47
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by spookycookies View Post
I'm pretty sure it'll just be the same content that we would have got in universe but packaged as different miniseries. When IDW publishes new material I would like it to be about their established universe for the most part. I love THESE Turtles so much that it would be a real shame for their page count to bow to Mirage/Wolf TMNT stories that would just be shallow nostalgia cash-ins.

We need more minis like SHOTC, Turtles in Time & Mutanimals. We need a book that spends more time with each turtle individually while also fostering side characters who need more screen time. It's a shame Universe didn't get a Raph & Casey story. The Turtles bumping into their alternate incarnations was a novel idea but why would we need to keep coming back to that? Some of the neatest parts of IDW's TMNT is when it pays homage to the past series, maybe it should stick to that instead of just rolling out the red bandanna carpet.

IDW's TMNT has almost always had a supporting book to hold the "bigness" of it's universe. Yes the current format of this concept failed to sell but that doesn't mean that the idea is bad just the way it was presented. Now we go back to $4 a month minis just as we have been all along.
What about a micro-series that focuses on each member of the Pantheon leading up the arc that brigs us up to #100? That would fill it up right there and be the same number the previous two sets have been.
Old 05-23-2018, 05:38 PM   #48
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

That comment is the opposite of the "Turtles are guest stars in their own series" complaint that was floating around a few months ago . But more coherent in its argument
Old 05-23-2018, 05:48 PM   #49
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
(...) rolling out the red bandanna carpet.
TFW your first instinct is to go for the upvote button but then realize this isn't Reddit.
Old 05-23-2018, 05:53 PM   #50
spookycookies
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleWA View Post
If it had to end, 25 is a good stopping place. Better than 24 or 26. I wonder what the odds are that TMNT ongoing doesn’t make it to issue 101? I’m sure another ongoing will eventually take its place. Just like the cartoons. Have a successful run and then reboot on somewhat of a high note.
I think if they have to renumber after the pantheon story is over and start a whole new set of stories with the current turtles that would be great. After 30 plus years I’m getting tired of having to see the turtles start from scratch and meet April, Shredder and Leatherhead again. It takes so long to get over the origin hump and into the fresh story and I can’t see a way for a new TMNT to start without having to unpack each character for a year plus.
spookycookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 06:01 PM   #51
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
I think if they have to renumber after the pantheon story is over and start a whole new set of stories with the current turtles that would be great. After 30 plus years I’m getting tired of having to see the turtles start from scratch and meet April, Shredder and Leatherhead again. It takes so long to get over the origin hump and into the fresh story and I can’t see a way for a new TMNT to start without having to unpack each character for a year plus.
Someone should make a montage of all the times April has fainted upon meeting the Turtles.
Old 05-23-2018, 06:13 PM   #52
CyberCubed
Overlord

Yeah, most of IDW's run spent a lot of time doing the basic meetings of every major TMNT character and villain. Which of course had to be done, but it's a lot of set-up work. Even just now we only JUST had the Triceraton invasion story that every TMNT universe has, Leatherhead is still in the early stages of his development, Rat King is still doing his thing, and Ch'rell just got unleashed, etc.

Most of the first 50 issues especially was the set-up of every major TMNT villain, Shredder, Krang, Karai, Baxter, Bebop/Rocksteady, Hun, Rat King, various mutants, etc.
Old 05-23-2018, 07:06 PM   #53
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Quote:
Yeah it will be interesting to see what happens.
TurtleWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 08:07 PM   #54
funatic
Mad Scientist

It might be cool if they continue to roll out mini series weekly for a month like they have with Bebop and Rocksteady. It's fun to have the stories be that fresh and not spread out over months, while the ongoing is still filling that steady niche. Two or three weekly minis a year would be awesome albeit expensive for those months.
funatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 08:21 PM   #55
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
Yeah, most of IDW's run spent a lot of time doing the basic meetings of every major TMNT character and villain. Which of course had to be done, but it's a lot of set-up work. Even just now we only JUST had the Triceraton invasion story that every TMNT universe has, Leatherhead is still in the early stages of his development, Rat King is still doing his thing, and Ch'rell just got unleashed, etc.

Most of the first 50 issues especially was the set-up of every major TMNT villain, Shredder, Krang, Karai, Baxter, Bebop/Rocksteady, Hun, Rat King, various mutants, etc.
Y'know, seeing all the major beats and villains listed like that, thinking about the sheer scope that this franchise has to offer, it's a damn shame that TMNT is so underappreciated and thought of as kiddie fare by the general public. Shredder alone should be up there with the greatest of comic book villains like Doctor Doom, Magneto, Lex Luthor and the Joker. TMNT can be street-level ninja action, space opera, freaky magic, alternate dimension shenanigans, or even a time traveling and/or globe-trotting adventure all in the space of a few issues without feeling out of place. How many other comic books can boast that innate variety? And yet it's still stuck in relative obscurity and struggling sales when other, far more poorly written stories, are met with much greater acclaim.

I guess I just don't get this world sometimes.
Old 05-24-2018, 05:40 AM   #56
BartAllen
Banned

Honestly? I'm not that bothered by this situation. The main story was always fairly good, but those follow-ups left a lot to be desired. Anyway, moving towards a more streamlined, less expensive, miniseries would be a far better option in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSpengler View Post
I'd dig a multiverse book that just told stories within those different TMNT universe, not necessarily one where the IDW TMNT team-up with a different incarnation in every issue. I admit that's a pretty niche concept, though, and wouldn't be a big seller.
I don't know if I necessarily agree. If they did a bunch of six issue mini-stories featuring a different iteration of the turtles each time, that could be interesting. It's just a matter of getting the right creative team on the book each time. I mean, a 'What-if' style series similar to the old Marvel books could be really cool.

Also, not everyone is as interested in continuity as we are. I know plenty of casuals/normies that want to read comics but don't want to be bogged down by continuity-heavy books.

Last edited by BartAllen; 05-24-2018 at 05:45 AM.
BartAllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 11:30 AM   #57
AquaParade
Banned

To me, this book didn't seem like a great product. You're not going to have a ton of fans interested in the side-characters of this universe, and it's one of the most expensive book on the stands due to extra content that doesn't feel vital or exciting (aside from the Eastman/Sienkiewicz collaboration).

I'm glad it's gone, because it has essentially made way for Urban Legends and other exciting prospects.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 11:38 AM   #58
CyberCubed
Overlord

That's not true at all, the majority of Universe issues have been great or good as well as pushed the main plot forward:

- Issues 1-4 was a great opening arc with Bishop/EPF and introducing Zodi, along with Baxter starting his alliance with the Turtles. This was basically as important as any main series arc in the ongoing.

- Issue 5 was a decent issue but I liked it because it brought Leatherhead back and had him meet Old Hob the first time

- Issue 6 was about Wyrm which was a fun filler issue, nothing wrong with it. Wyrm also had a great design in IDW.

- Issue 7-8 brought back Metalhead with his own AI. It wasn't exactly the direction I would have taken with Metalhead, especially since we haven't see him again since he flew off into the air, but he'll probably turn up down the line eventually.

- Issue 9-10 was the Toad Baron and I thought it was excellent. This was our first proper screentime for Toad Baron and his Alice in Wonderland type set-up with the art was great.

- Issue 11 was a boring issue, just introduced Dreadmon. Nothing much to say about it.

- Issues 12-15 showed us Karai in Japan, Koya going insane, Ocho joining her group, and Karai going after a mystic sword and planning her comeback to NY. We haven't seen Karai in the ongoing at all since issue 50 so this was important

- Issues 16-17 was the Triceraton backstory issues, I could take those or leave them.

- Issue 18 was the weakest issue because the comedy didn't quite work for me.

- Issues 19-20 were great, Raph/Alopex going back to Null industries and coming across that new snake mutant

- Issues 21-22 were also great, we got the aftermath of the Triceratons and them meeting the Utroms and trying to form a peace and alliance with the two.

Out of all the Universe issues we got so far, only two of them were boring, the Triceraton backstory issues were meh, and the rest have all been great and pushed the plot forward.
Old 05-24-2018, 12:20 PM   #59
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
That's not true at all, the majority of Universe issues have been great or good as well as pushed the main plot forward:

- Issues 1-4 was a great opening arc with Bishop/EPF and introducing Zodi, along with Baxter starting his alliance with the Turtles. This was basically as important as any main series arc in the ongoing.

- Issue 5 was a decent issue but I liked it because it brought Leatherhead back and had him meet Old Hob the first time

- Issue 6 was about Wyrm which was a fun filler issue, nothing wrong with it. Wyrm also had a great design in IDW.

- Issue 7-8 brought back Metalhead with his own AI. It wasn't exactly the direction I would have taken with Metalhead, especially since we haven't see him again since he flew off into the air, but he'll probably turn up down the line eventually.

- Issue 9-10 was the Toad Baron and I thought it was excellent. This was our first proper screentime for Toad Baron and his Alice in Wonderland type set-up with the art was great.

- Issue 11 was a boring issue, just introduced Dreadmon. Nothing much to say about it.

- Issues 12-15 showed us Karai in Japan, Koya going insane, Ocho joining her group, and Karai going after a mystic sword and planning her comeback to NY. We haven't seen Karai in the ongoing at all since issue 50 so this was important

- Issues 16-17 was the Triceraton backstory issues, I could take those or leave them.

- Issue 18 was the weakest issue because the comedy didn't quite work for me.

- Issues 19-20 were great, Raph/Alopex going back to Null industries and coming across that new snake mutant

- Issues 21-22 were also great, we got the aftermath of the Triceratons and them meeting the Utroms and trying to form a peace and alliance with the two.

Out of all the Universe issues we got so far, only two of them were boring, the Triceraton backstory issues were meh, and the rest have all been great and pushed the plot forward.
I don't think the fact that you liked it invalidates my previous statement. Not a lot of fan interest in side characters of this universe, expensive despite lackluster backups.

Glad you enjoyed it though. Hopefully they'll come out with something soon that will please us both.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 12:29 PM   #60
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Are the Triceratons still mutant triceratopses in the books?
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote