The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Books, Comics, and Other Literature

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2016, 11:05 PM   #121
T-U-R-T-L-E POWA!
Stone Warrior
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Knoxville,TN
Posts: 929
I loved Spidey all my life but when Marvel done OMD that was the last straw for me. I absolutely loathe Joey Q to this very day and I always will. I've never liked Dan Slott either.
__________________
Go Ninja! Go Ninja! GO!
T-U-R-T-L-E POWA! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 04:19 AM   #122
ZariusTwo
Overlord
 
ZariusTwo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Britain, DINO THUNDER...POWER UP!
Posts: 14,870
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
I'm pretty rusty on the 616 timeline. If we assume that the RYV Parkers got married at the same time as their pre-OMD-616 counterparts (wherever in the multiverse they are now), does that mean that RYV is taking place concurrently with 616's present, or is it a few years in the future?
Perhaps, but bear in mind the last alternate reality to have the Parkers with children (Spider-Girl) was supposedly set fifteen years in the future, although as the series continued they scaled that back and treated it like an "alternative present" (I've seen examples of that where the year was once 2017, and then a later issue of Spider-Girl had the date being 1996)

Quote:
Also, if the ten years figure is accurate, the Parkers got married when they did in 616, and Annie is indeed eight, would that suggest that she was born pre-OMD, or am I mixing things up?
That is a good question, and your suspicions may be right after all. It also begs the question whether or not Marvel's "everything happened 13 years ago" excuse for their sliding time scale is accurate for this reality too. In which case Peter would have only spent two years as Spidey single or dating Gwen and Felicia before moving on to MJ.

I had a possible theory during the original RYV series that Peter and MJ had married very early. In 616, MJ turned Peter's first proposal and moved away for a few months before coming back and ultimately accepted the second proposal, but what if the RYV MJ accepted Peter's first proposal way back in the Wolfman run? I don't think anyone's done that before.

Quote:
Why would Marvel want to celebrate it, given that they've been trying to push it under the rug for years (as far as 616 goes, at any rate)? It seems like anything that treats it (or the characters as a couple of any kind) kindly these days are specific writers acting on their own violation.
Marvel have been pushing MJ pretty heavily in a range of mediums lately as someone close to Peter and having a superhero role (Unlimited, the current season of the USM cartoon, and another game I'm forgetting the name of where she's Iron Spider).

RYV sold well the first time, and Marvel are a business. Regardless of where they think the relationship should be in the main canon, they're not going to sit on easy money like that

Nobody just does what they want at this company either, everything goes through channels and approved before things go through. For all the s*it thrown in Quesada and Alonzo's face, they're the one who have final say on approving things like this. Same with the OMD references. Somebody high up at Marvel is clearly mellowing.

2017 is the marriage's 30th anniversary (and OMD's tenth), it makes sense to publish something and keep it going throughout most of that year, but obviously Marvel don't want to interrupt Dan Slott's ongoing storylines either, so this is the compromise for now.
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 11:36 AM   #123
WebLurker
Hench Mutant
 
WebLurker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
Perhaps, but bear in mind the last alternate reality to have the Parkers with children (Spider-Girl) was supposedly set fifteen years in the future, although as the series continued they scaled that back and treated it like an "alternative present" (I've seen examples of that where the year was once 2017, and then a later issue of Spider-Girl had the date being 1996)
Fair enough, although since comic books like this usually have a sliding timescale or a floating timeline, I tend to take all exact years with a grain of salt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
That is a good question, and your suspicions may be right after all. It also begs the question whether or not Marvel's "everything happened 13 years ago" excuse for their sliding time scale is accurate for this reality too. In which case Peter would have only spent two years as Spidey single or dating Gwen and Felicia before moving on to MJ.
I guess that depends on how close they want to keep things to the originals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
I had a possible theory during the original RYV series that Peter and MJ had married very early.
Hadn't they always married pretty early? Somewhere, I remember reading that they were in their very early twenties when tying the knot (although their Ultimate counterparts may have one-upped them by essentially eloping at eighteen).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
In 616, MJ turned Peter's first proposal and moved away for a few months before coming back and ultimately accepted the second proposal, but what if the RYV MJ accepted Peter's first proposal way back in the Wolfman run? I don't think anyone's done that before.
Maybe, although the original RYV did seem to imply that the pre-marriage timeline was the same. If so, that could be the case here, too, if the series is being written from the assumption that the first RYV series was this timeline altered by Secret Wars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
Marvel have been pushing MJ pretty heavily in a range of mediums lately as someone close to Peter and having a superhero role (Unlimited, the current season of the USM cartoon, and another game I'm forgetting the name of where she's Iron Spider).
Is the latter Avengers Academy? I can't play it but I've seen clips that would support the idea (

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
RYV sold well the first time, and Marvel are a business. Regardless of where they think the relationship should be in the main canon, they're not going to sit on easy money like that.
True enough, I'm pretty sure the only reason RYV is getting its own series is because of the sales the original made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
Nobody just does what they want at this company either, everything goes through channels and approved before things go through. For all the s*it thrown in Quesada and Alonzo's face, they're the one who have final say on approving things like this. Same with the OMD references. Somebody high up at Marvel is clearly mellowing.
Yeah, when making the original comment, I wasn't suggesting that employees could do what they wanted without any oversight. As pointed out by a few different people, Dan Slott has said that the company's managers have had a policy that re-marrying Peter and MJ is not allowed in the main comics, and when he wanted to do such a story for Secret Wars, he had to get permission to do it.

I guess I'm not sure if the managers really want it coming back as part of the "real "character. As I understand it, while side stories and other iterations are utilizing the relationship, the main comics are still working to wedge the characters apart even further.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
2017 is the marriage's 30th anniversary (and OMD's tenth), it makes sense to publish something and keep it going throughout most of that year, but obviously Marvel don't want to interrupt Dan Slott's ongoing storylines either, so this is the compromise for now.
Would we even want the 616 comics to do anything with the marriage anniversary? Whatever other parts of the franchise may do, that series, whenever it addressed it in some fashion, seems to always try and validate OMD as being the right decision or to construct more barriers to prevent the couple from reconciling.

So, if they do anything on 616's end, I'm predicting that it'll just be to get money out of us and will wind up yanking our collective chains. They've been dropping hints at a reconciliation for years and then pulling the rug under us after we swallowed it. I don't see any reason for them to change this pattern of behavior.

Would Marvel worry about interrupting Slott's run, since Secret Wars did just that? I'm not sure if making RYV is a compromise, since I think they're only trying to provide a product that they know will sell.
WebLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 01:48 PM   #124
ZariusTwo
Overlord
 
ZariusTwo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Britain, DINO THUNDER...POWER UP!
Posts: 14,870
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
Hadn't they always married pretty early? Somewhere, I remember reading that they were in their very early twenties when tying the knot (although their Ultimate counterparts may have one-upped them by essentially eloping at eighteen).
Yes, MJ pointed out the two were very young when they married, sometimes citing that as a reason their relationship often broke down in between the Clone Saga and JMS eras where they were more stable.

Quote:
Is the latter Avengers Academy? I can't play it but I've seen clips that would support the idea (
Yeah, that's it.

Quote:
Yeah, when making the original comment, I wasn't suggesting that employees could do what they wanted without any oversight. As pointed out by a few different people, Dan Slott has said that the company's managers have had a policy that re-marrying Peter and MJ is not allowed in the main comics, and when he wanted to do such a story for Secret Wars, he had to get permission to do it.
Yeah, and as discussed here earlier, Slott supposedly had tried to get the marriage restored a couple of other times before then without much success.

I've read concerns from other people the amount of time it's taken to get an ongoing RYV series when other SW tie-ins got titles (Old Man Logan, X-Men 92, Weirdworld) got books almost immediately demonstrates how Marvel are somewhat doing this almost like it's under protest

Quote:
I guess I'm not sure if the managers really want it coming back as part of the "real "character. As I understand it, while side stories and other iterations are utilizing the relationship, the main comics are still working to wedge the characters apart even further.
The interview on Marvel.com does seem to back that up, asking Conway to compare the differences between how they are in RYV and how they are now in 616, and Conway having to bring up things that the two were so used to in the older status quoe as a selling point when we all know that's how it should always be.

Quote:
Would we even want the 616 comics to do anything with the marriage anniversary? Whatever other parts of the franchise may do, that series, whenever it addressed it in some fashion, seems to always try and validate OMD as being the right decision or to construct more barriers to prevent the couple from reconciling.
I think there's potential in having the Parkers meet the ones that sold out their marriage, it might not necessarily just be Slott writing the story, it could be a collaboration with him and Conway, with both writers giving the characters special cases for and against the marriage, and have each universe representative being the mouthpiece for their cause. Throw in some decent action as well and you can have a story that can cause anger, but also cause some real relief. I've no problem with emotional stories, so long as they make sense for the world they inhabit.

Quote:
Would Marvel worry about interrupting Slott's run, since Secret Wars did just that? I'm not sure if making RYV is a compromise, since I think they're only trying to provide a product that they know will sell.
The interviews indicate they want RYV to matter, that much is clear, and I think that's the sensible approach. As for Secret Wars interfering with Slott's run...considering Slott used RYV as a building block for his second Regent story and this series, essentially adding more to his legacy as the decade's premiere Spider-Scribe (not that I think he deserves that accolade), I doubt they're losing sleeping over that particular instance.
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 06:45 PM   #125
WebLurker
Hench Mutant
 
WebLurker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
Yes, MJ pointed out the two were very young when they married, sometimes citing that as a reason their relationship often broke down in between the Clone Saga and JMS eras where they were more stable.
Maybe Conway can take advantage of that for his story. They're older now, but still intended to be stable. Stability in thirty-somethings (roughly) looks different than stability in early-twenty-somethings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
Yeah, and as discussed here earlier, Slott supposedly had tried to get the marriage restored a couple of other times before then without much success.
I'd never heard that before reading it on this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
I've read concerns from other people the amount of time it's taken to get an ongoing RYV series when other SW tie-ins got titles (Old Man Logan, X-Men 92, Weirdworld) got books almost immediately demonstrates how Marvel are somewhat doing this almost like it's under protest.
I would really like to know the genesis of the series, too; I find creative processes like that interesting. As far as the other Secret Wars series go, I think you do need to take into account that some of them were planned to become ongoings from the beginning. A-Force, for example, was one. I think Old Man Logan was, too.

Now, X-Men '92 was a surprise hit that was not intended to go further, and it continued pretty promptly. So, it would seem that RYV's delay, given that it was arguable the most successful and popular tie-in series of the Secret Wars event, could be connected to Marvel higher-ups not really wanting to bring back the Spider-Man marriage on a regular basis anywhere. On the other hand, we don't know how long it took them to find a creative team to write it, an empty publishing slot, etc. So, while it's always a possibility that some Marvel employees were not eager to do it, we don't know how long it took to get ducks in a row when it was decided.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
The interview on Marvel.com does seem to back that up, asking Conway to compare the differences between how they are in RYV and how they are now in 616, and Conway having to bring up things that the two were so used to in the older status quoe as a selling point when we all know that's how it should always be.
It will be interesting to see how Marvel handles the advertising and distribution of the series (assuming that it sells well), whether it gets lower attention or the same amount as any other side series gets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
I think there's potential in having the Parkers meet the ones that sold out their marriage, it might not necessarily just be Slott writing the story, it could be a collaboration with him and Conway, with both writers giving the characters special cases for and against the marriage, and have each universe representative being the mouthpiece for their cause. Throw in some decent action as well and you can have a story that can cause anger, but also cause some real relief. I've no problem with emotional stories, so long as they make sense for the world they inhabit.
We'll see when the times comes what they decide to do, if there is a crossover in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
The interviews indicate they want RYV to matter, that much is clear, and I think that's the sensible approach.
That's good, I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
As for Secret Wars interfering with Slott's run...considering Slott used RYV as a building block for his second Regent story and this series, essentially adding more to his legacy as the decade's premiere Spider-Scribe (not that I think he deserves that accolade), I doubt they're losing sleeping over that particular instance.
I don't think anyone, from Marvel, Slott, to the fans are complaining about the original RYV's success (nor should we). What I was wondering was if Slott wanted to take a break and do a different Spider-Man story with no connection to his ASM work from the beginning, or if he was told he needed to put the ASM story on hiatus for Secret Wars, and then decided to take advantage of the opportunity to do stuff he couldn't do in the core series (Peter and MJ married and parents, the classic low-middle-class setting, and whatever else)?
WebLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 03:18 PM   #126
ZariusTwo
Overlord
 
ZariusTwo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Britain, DINO THUNDER...POWER UP!
Posts: 14,870
Another pic

ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 09:54 AM   #127
ZariusTwo
Overlord
 
ZariusTwo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Britain, DINO THUNDER...POWER UP!
Posts: 14,870


Artwork from the guy who does the SPIDEY title
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 03:34 PM   #128
ZariusTwo
Overlord
 
ZariusTwo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Britain, DINO THUNDER...POWER UP!
Posts: 14,870
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 04:46 AM   #129
ZariusTwo
Overlord
 
ZariusTwo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Britain, DINO THUNDER...POWER UP!
Posts: 14,870


A full colour panel from RYV
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 11:50 AM   #130
WebLurker
Hench Mutant
 
WebLurker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
Not sure if I like seeing Spider-Man's ear through his mask, but the artwork overall looks awsome. If and when Stegman and the colorists get replaced, they'll have left some big boots to fill.
WebLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 03:13 PM   #131
ZariusTwo
Overlord
 
ZariusTwo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Britain, DINO THUNDER...POWER UP!
Posts: 14,870
MJ to the rescue as Peter is overcome by Moleoids

ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 04:28 PM   #132
ZariusTwo
Overlord
 
ZariusTwo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Britain, DINO THUNDER...POWER UP!
Posts: 14,870
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 09:55 PM   #133
WebLurker
Hench Mutant
 
WebLurker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
Is that a piece of fan art, or something?
WebLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 05:35 AM   #134
ZariusTwo
Overlord
 
ZariusTwo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Britain, DINO THUNDER...POWER UP!
Posts: 14,870
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
Is that a piece of fan art, or something?
No, it's an actual variant for the first issue

Marvel are doing this a lot with Spider-Books. One variant for the new Venom series features a recolouring/retrace of a Todd McFarlane image.
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 02:24 PM   #135
ZariusTwo
Overlord
 
ZariusTwo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Britain, DINO THUNDER...POWER UP!
Posts: 14,870
Mole Man

ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 09:10 PM   #136
WebLurker
Hench Mutant
 
WebLurker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
Interesting, he looks more like the classic version of the character than the more animal-like version on the cover art for the second issue.
WebLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 11:27 AM   #137
ZariusTwo
Overlord
 
ZariusTwo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Britain, DINO THUNDER...POWER UP!
Posts: 14,870
Stegman begins work on another illustration of the entire Spider-Family

ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 02:10 PM   #138
ZariusTwo
Overlord
 
ZariusTwo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Britain, DINO THUNDER...POWER UP!
Posts: 14,870
And here's the follow-up

ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 08:38 AM   #139
ZariusTwo
Overlord
 
ZariusTwo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Britain, DINO THUNDER...POWER UP!
Posts: 14,870





More here

http://www.cbr.com/excl-preview-amaz...w-your-vows-1/
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 09:52 AM   #140
WebLurker
Hench Mutant
 
WebLurker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 349

Was that a dinosaur? I am so looking forward to this!

(Question: If I wanted to collect the single issues alongside the trades, do I have to order them in advance, or can you just go to a store after the release date and buy them off the shelf?
__________________
"Einstein did his best stuff when he was working as a patent clerk!" - Dr. Peter Venkman, Ghostbusters
WebLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
spider-man, spider-marriage returns

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.