The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 10-11-2018, 07:36 AM   #41
Igglet

On a related note, Splinter's TOTALLY going to murder a major character and I'm just wondering in which issue of the arc it'll happen. I'm calling that he's going to do it in the 4th issue, would mark a good closure to the first half of the arc.
Old 10-11-2018, 07:54 AM   #42
AquaParade
Banned

Ya know, I feel sort of mixed about ripping on the title. I was just posting in another thread that I’d like to see more of Mirage in the IDW dna and now that It’s blatantly here, I’m dragging it down.

So I’ll clarify: I’m definitely excited to see what they do with this arc. I think it could be great. I just stand by the fact that it sets up very specific comparisons when you use the title “City at War”. Traits that boldly define the tone and feel of Mirage are what makes City at War Special.

I will be picking up issue #1 out of curiosity. So maybe they’ve already proven me wrong.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 07:58 AM   #43
Rooish
Devil's Advocate

I’d like to see one of the turtles kill someone. Particularly Mike! I’m getting really sick of his “but we’re not gonna kill Bishop/Krang/Shredder/homicidal murderer” nonsense.
Rooish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 08:34 AM   #44
Igglet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooish View Post
I’d like to see one of the turtles kill someone. Particularly Mike! I’m getting really sick of his “but we’re not gonna kill Bishop/Krang/Shredder/homicidal murderer” nonsense.
That would absolutely go against his entire character arc, though.
Old 10-11-2018, 08:58 AM   #45
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igglet View Post
On a related note, Splinter's TOTALLY going to murder a major character and I'm just wondering in which issue of the arc it'll happen. I'm calling that he's going to do it in the 4th issue, would mark a good closure to the first half of the arc.
Watch it be Hun, to add an extra layer to the conflict... Casey on the warpath against the Foot, and the Turtles having to stand against him and the Purple Dragons? Hell, yes!

Last edited by ChosenOne; 10-11-2018 at 03:28 PM.
ChosenOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 09:06 AM   #46
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utrommaniac View Post
It's fairly recent stuff.

Karai's Path was just all about Karai coming to terms with not needing no Foot Clan and that if she wants to do things her way, be respected, and be in charge, then she needs to just...do that. Maybe even "fix" the mistake she made of reviving the Foot in the first place by eliminating them for good (and not them sink back into being a law firm)
I was specifically talking about the turtles in time micro with Stockman having foot soldiers. that was at least 2 0r 3 years ago definitely not recent.
Redeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 09:51 AM   #47
Igglet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChosenOne View Post
Watch it be Hun, to add an extra layer to the conflict... Casey on the warpath against the Foot, and the Turtles having to stand against him and the Purples Dragons? Hell, yes!
That's actually a great idea, I'd love to see this. Turtles being forced in the middle of Casey and Splinter. I think you're onto something.
Old 10-11-2018, 03:21 PM   #48
Rooish
Devil's Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igglet View Post
That would absolutely go against his entire character arc, though.
I know... lol. Just don’t think his character arc is that well done.
Rooish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 04:03 PM   #49
pferreira
Foot Elite

I guess nobody at IDW read my recent post about not just rehashing elements of previous TMNT iterations.

Not sure if doing a remake of a well known storyline is a good idea.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 05:03 PM   #50
hypered1
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post
I guess nobody at IDW read my recent post about not just rehashing elements of previous TMNT iterations.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean? The IDW series has been 'cherry-picking' elements and retelling arcs from most of the previous iterations since it began - the movies and the Next Mutation being the only real exceptions and that's only because of licencing issues.
hypered1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 05:34 PM   #51
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I don't think you can point to any storyline IDW has done that could be considered an adaptation of any Mirage stuff, in name or otherwise. This would be the first one.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 05:54 PM   #52
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I don't think you can point to any storyline IDW has done that could be considered an adaptation of any Mirage stuff, in name or otherwise. This would be the first one.
Extremely loosely perhaps. The Turtles did escape to Northampton after a fight with the Shredder, but it was a very different story and circumstances since it involved Leo being brainwashed instead of being beat to near death. I think the Leo # 1 micro series was almost an interpretation of Leo # 1 from Mirage.

Other than that, the most you get are homages on covers, the fact that Eastman does some of the covers and the fact that the Turtles all wore red bandanas for a short while in the beginning.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 07:27 PM   #53
ChosenOne
Banned

Going off of Igglet's advice over in the Shredder in Hell thread, I had a look at Mateus Santolouco's Twitter and noticed what appears to be an interesting bit of art. Is it just me, or is the left half of this picture something we haven't seen before?

Looks like something out of the Vengeance connecting covers but I checked and it's definitely not from there. Plus, it's certainly recent. Could we be looking at one of the connecting covers for City at War? 'Cause I spot (a) Shredder...
Old 10-11-2018, 07:31 PM   #54
Sabacooza
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChosenOne View Post
Going off of Igglet's advice over in the Shredder in Hell thread, I had a look at Mateus Santolouco's Twitter and noticed what appears to be an interesting bit of art. Is it just me, or is the left half of this picture something we haven't seen before?

Looks like something out of the Vengeance connecting covers but I checked and it's definitely not from there. Plus, it's certainly recent. Could we be looking at one of the connecting covers for City at War? 'Cause I spot (a) Shredder...
That's actually the Mutants in Manhattan exclusive GameStop poster.
Sabacooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 07:33 PM   #55
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
That's actually the Mutants in Manhattan exclusive GameStop poster.
Oh... I didn't know that. Thank you.
Old 10-11-2018, 09:42 PM   #56
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post

I don't think people at IDW are going to listen to random people on the internet considering that they are the paid professionals

I understand though it is frustrating to have a glaring issue or dissatisfaction with a property you love so much. The past year I have been let down by the art design at times.... and one issue had atrocious art in terms of quality.....
Redeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 10:10 PM   #57
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Here's my thing:

The IDW TMNT is its own story. Even if it makes adaptations of "infamous" moments, it does it within the realm of what it needs for its story.

City of War isn't going to be a "classic" City of War story. But it does enough within the narrative and situations that it might as well be the way City of War is told for this one incarnation.

It's never going to be a "City of War" as seen originally in Mirage, but it would come close enough.
Old 10-12-2018, 02:19 AM   #58
Igglet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utrommaniac View Post
Here's my thing:

The IDW TMNT is its own story. Even if it makes adaptations of "infamous" moments, it does it within the realm of what it needs for its story.

City of War isn't going to be a "classic" City of War story. But it does enough within the narrative and situations that it might as well be the way City of War is told for this one incarnation.

It's never going to be a "City of War" as seen originally in Mirage, but it would come close enough.
Yeah, it's their take on the story, it's likely to piss some people off, that's just a given when you adapt such a classic story, but I think this will turn out well. Judge this as a story of its own, not IDW trying to take Mirage's City at War story and shove it into their universe, because that's not what it's trying to do. It takes the core themes of City at War and tries to do something different with them, I suppose. But that's just my opinion and I'm assuming a lot of things seeing as we haven't even gotten the story yet, but it seems logical.
Old 10-20-2018, 02:42 PM   #59
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypered1 View Post
I'm not sure I understand what you mean?
Giving the IDW comic it's own identity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemer View Post
I don't think people at IDW are going to listen to random people on the internet considering that they are the paid professionals
I know, it's just ironic as I recently commented on what the IDW needs to do to differentiate itself from every other iteration, i.e. be more original.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 09:06 PM   #60
scribblesartist
Random Punk

Won’t be called city at war.. it will be called city war.. watch and see
scribblesartist is offline   Reply With Quote