The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Old 04-09-2019, 10:04 PM   #561
Wes
Mad Scientist

Finally started seeing the Battle Shell figures at local Walmarts; at this point I've managed to snag everyone except Mikey. (I've seen him around; I just try to spread my toy purchases out over multiple store visits and I don't imagine he'll end up being super rare.) I'm rather digging the figures themselves -- I much prefer the BS headsculpts and (since I didn't end up with the SDCC/club membership figures) fully plan on taking advantage of the sculpted marking areas to paint in those details.

The Battle Shell feature is fairly disappointing here, though. One of the coolest things about the vintage BS figures was that one could shove pretty much whatever one wanted inside there, whereas these new figures have their innards specifically tailored to the weapons they come with, which means it's that much harder to fit different accessories in there. And in theory that wouldn't be so bad, but the weapons they come with are awful. Like, so bad they might as well have come with nothing. Actually Raph's tonfas are okay... though incidentally he also has the notches for storing them on his belt, which makes the Battle Shell function mostly useless. Still, I'm sure I've got some tiny accessories I can make fit, and if all else fails I can drill the notches out of there.

* Scary-Crayon * Wesoteric * Chew your gum properly, ok?

Aaand... Technodrome buy/sell/trade thread here!
Wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 07:31 PM   #562
TMNachoT
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes View Post
Finally started seeing the Battle Shell figures at local Walmarts; at this point I've managed to snag everyone except Mikey. (I've seen him around; I just try to spread my toy purchases out over multiple store visits and I don't imagine he'll end up being super rare.) I'm rather digging the figures themselves -- I much prefer the BS headsculpts and (since I didn't end up with the SDCC/club membership figures) fully plan on taking advantage of the sculpted marking areas to paint in those details.

The Battle Shell feature is fairly disappointing here, though. One of the coolest things about the vintage BS figures was that one could shove pretty much whatever one wanted inside there, whereas these new figures have their innards specifically tailored to the weapons they come with, which means it's that much harder to fit different accessories in there. And in theory that wouldn't be so bad, but the weapons they come with are awful. Like, so bad they might as well have come with nothing. Actually Raph's tonfas are okay... though incidentally he also has the notches for storing them on his belt, which makes the Battle Shell function mostly useless. Still, I'm sure I've got some tiny accessories I can make fit, and if all else fails I can drill the notches out of there.
What about the sculpts? Do they look more accurate to the designs from the show compared to the figs from wave 1? Cheers!
TMNachoT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 05:21 AM   #563
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMNachoT View Post
What about the sculpts? Do they look more accurate to the designs from the show compared to the figs from wave 1? Cheers!
The sculpts on the BS Turtles are much better then the Basics, and while they lack the painted markings, they have sculpted lines where Leo's yellow arm and leg stripes are placed, Mikey's dots and Donnie's weird tech markings.

But due to the spring-loaded shell action the head articulation is little more then just a swivel, which is a huge disappointment
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 11:56 AM   #564
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Kappa View Post
But due to the spring-loaded shell action the head articulation is little more then just a swivel, which is a huge disappointment
well to be fair Playmates Toys and Disappointment go hand in hand like Peanut Butter and Jelly
Old 04-15-2019, 01:38 PM   #565
TMNachoT
Stone Warrior

Quote:
The sculpts on the BS Turtles are much better then the Basics, and while they lack the painted markings, they have sculpted lines where Leo's yellow arm and leg stripes are placed, Mikey's dots and Donnie's weird tech markings.

Thank you!
Old 04-16-2019, 09:23 AM   #566
Wes
Mad Scientist

I'll second what Candy Kappa said. If you can only get one set and you want the more show-accurate ones, then you definitely want the Battle Shell versions (especially if you're inclined to paint the markings yourself).

* Scary-Crayon * Wesoteric * Chew your gum properly, ok?

Aaand... Technodrome buy/sell/trade thread here!
Wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 06:14 PM   #567
TMNachoT
Stone Warrior

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes View Post
I'll second what Candy Kappa said. If you can only get one set and you want the more show-accurate ones, then you definitely want the Battle Shell versions (especially if you're inclined to paint the markings yourself).
Cheers, Wes!!
Old 04-22-2019, 01:20 PM   #568
DVD
Mad Scientist

Seems like ages since I got any new figures in this range.
I did get around to picking up Donatello’s bike yesterday. This means I’ll need to get Raph’s As well.
DVD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 10:20 PM   #569
VaughnMichael
I'm Baaaaaaccck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD View Post
Seems like ages since I got any new figures in this range.
I did get around to picking up Donatello’s bike yesterday. This means I’ll need to get Raph’s As well.
It's been forever since anything has come out.
VaughnMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 07:49 AM   #570
rayfillet101
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaughnMichael View Post
It's been forever since anything has come out.
Haha, I feel you. After 2k13 ended, I was so desperate for a turtles score I went hunting for the shampoo bottles. I am stuck buying the figures on Amazon and Ebay because the East Coast seems to never get them on the shelves. Looking forward to new stuff. Hoping all the Foot activity on the show would lead to a special release we didnt see at toy fair?

"When you scream my name, pleading for the pain to stop, you may call me...Bishop."
rayfillet101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 12:33 PM   #571
StealthNinjaScyther
Foot Soldier

Playmates updated their site and it looks like the next figures to be released are actually Jet Pack and Spider Shell Donatello. This slow trickle of new figures doesn't feel like it bodes well for the future of the line.
StealthNinjaScyther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 02:59 PM   #572
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

I wish the Donnie variants had a new sculpt, like the figure they showed driving the bugbuster flying bike
Old 04-28-2019, 11:27 AM   #573
drewizzle88
Stone Warrior

I finally found the battleshell turtles today. I only picked up Leo but I will snag the others soon. I swapped the head, forearms/hands, and legs/feet from the knee. All popped right off the battleshell figure and back in to the original figure. Makes for a much better looking figure IMO. He also holds his sword better, and stands better.

Last edited by drewizzle88; 04-28-2019 at 11:33 AM.
drewizzle88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 05:25 PM   #574
super curry max
Hench Mutant

Is there a site with a list and pics of all the figs released for rise so far?
Old 05-01-2019, 01:14 AM   #575
tipet
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by super curry max View Post
Is there a site with a list and pics of all the figs released for rise so far?
The Playmates Toys site or tmnttoys.com

Last edited by tipet; 05-01-2019 at 03:26 AM.
tipet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 05:53 AM   #576
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewizzle88 View Post
I finally found the battleshell turtles today. I only picked up Leo but I will snag the others soon. I swapped the head, forearms/hands, and legs/feet from the knee. All popped right off the battleshell figure and back in to the original figure. Makes for a much better looking figure IMO. He also holds his sword better, and stands better.

How's the BS head working on the Basic body, does it have full range like a ball joint and did you have to do some drilling to make it fit?
Old 05-02-2019, 06:00 AM   #577
Swaynomics930
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthNinjaScyther View Post
Playmates updated their site and it looks like the next figures to be released are actually Jet Pack and Spider Shell Donatello. This slow trickle of new figures doesn't feel like it bodes well for the future of the line.
Oh I'm excited for those I usually don't get variants but these are two dope
Swaynomics930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 11:59 AM   #578
drewizzle88
Stone Warrior

Quote:
How's the BS head working on the Basic body, does it have full range like a ball joint and did you have to do some drilling to make it fit?
So the head attaches to the battleshell body by a very small peg that attaches fairly deep inside the head, but it still is molded to where it will also fit on the standard body peg as well, which is much larger. I couldn't believe how simple the swap was. I didn't have to modify anything.

Old 05-02-2019, 02:54 PM   #579
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Wow, that's pretty neat. I might move forward with my plan on buying the basics to use their torsos for customizing the BS figures.
Old 05-04-2019, 10:19 PM   #580
Zulithe
Ninjutsu Master

Feels like Playmates is not going all in on releases for this line like they did with the 2012 line. Pretty sparse on releases post-launch.

I think that says a lot about the success of the new show and its toy line.
Zulithe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2018, action figures, playmates, rise of the tmnt, toys