The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Current Events

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-15-2019, 01:58 AM   #1
Prowler
Emperor

40 killed and 20 injured in Mosque shootings in New Zealand

Crazy. This is probably the biggest tragedy that has happened in NZ.

Quote:
Forty people have been killed and more than 20 seriously wounded in shootings at two mosques in Christchurch.

New Zealand's Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern described the incidents as a terrorist attack, and one of the country's "darkest days".

Three men and one woman are in custody, police commissioner Mike Bush said, but warned more suspects may be at large.

Australia's Prime Minister Scott Morrison said one of those arrested was an Australian citizen.

He described the suspected attacker as an "extremist right-wing violent terrorist".

What do we know at this point?
Witnesses told local media they ran for their lives and saw people bleeding on the ground outside the Al Noor mosque.

A second mosque in the suburb of Linwood has been evacuated, and Police Commissioner Mike Bush said "multiple fatalities" were recorded at two locations. As yet, far fewer details have emerged from the second site.

They said they had responded to "a number of IEDs (explosive devices) attached to vehicles, that we also stopped".

Authorities have advised all mosques in the city to shut down until further notice, saying this was an unprecedented act of violence.

Armed police have also been seen at Papanui High School in Christchurch, which has been cordoned off.

It is not yet known how many shooters there were, but one gunman is an Australian who is believed to have written a manifesto outlining his intentions. In it, he espouses far right and anti-immigrant ideology.

Footage taken by one shooter has emerged, which he appears to have live-streamed as he shot victims in a mosque. Police called on the public not to share the "extremely distressing" material online.

Facebook said it had removed the shooter's Facebook and Instagram accounts as well as any support voiced for that crime.

What happened at the mosques?
The sequence of events remains unclear and has mostly come via eyewitness reports to local media.

The first report of an attack came from the Al Noor mosque, located in central Christchurch along Deans Avenue, facing Hagley Park. Witnesses there reported seeing people bleeding on the ground outside the building.

One unnamed survivor told TV New Zealand he saw a gunman shoot a man directly in the chest.

The attacker reportedly targeted the men's prayer room in the mosque, then moved to the women's room.

"What I did was basically just waiting and praying, God please, let this guy run out of bullets," the witness said.

"He came to this side, he shot this side, he went to another room and went to the ladies' section and shot them. I just heard one of the ladies has died."

A Palestinian man, who did not wish to be named, told AFP news agency he saw a man shot in the head, and heard rapid gunfire.

"I heard three quick shots, then after about 10 seconds it started again - it must have been an automatic, no one could pull a trigger that quick.

"Then people started running out. Some were covered in blood."

A second mosque in the suburb of Linwood has also been evacuated, and the police commissioner said "multiple fatalities" were recorded at two locations. There are far fewer details emerging from there, however.

How are the authorities responding?
Multiple casualties have been brought to Christchurch Hospital, where there is a heavy police presence.

A spokeswoman said Canterbury District Health Board (CDHB) has activated its mass casualty plan, according to New Zealand news site Stuff.co.nz.

Police earlier cleared Cathedral Square, where thousands of children had been holding a rally for action on climate change.

Police Commissioner Mike Bush said: "Police are responding with its full capability to manage the situation, but the risk environment remains extremely high.

"Police recommend that residents across Christchurch remain off the streets and indoors until further notice."

A lockdown on all schools in Christchurch has now been lifted, and parents are being told they can collect their children.

Australia's Prime Minister Scott Morrison tweeted: "I'm horrified by the reports I'm following of the serious shooting in Christchurch, New Zealand. The situation is still unfolding but our thoughts and prayers are with our Kiwi cousins."

Who has been caught up in the attack?
As well as the numerous witness reports of casualties, the Bangladesh national cricket team appear to have narrowly escaped the shooting.

A reporter following the team, who were due to play New Zealand in a now-cancelled test match on Saturday, tweeted that the team had "escaped from a mosque near Hagley Park where there were active shooters".

Player Tamim Iqbal tweeted that the "entire team got saved from active shooters".

Bangladesh Cricket Board spokesman Jalal Yunus said most of the team had gone to mosque by bus and were about to go inside when the incident took place.

"They are safe. But they are mentally shocked. We have asked the team to stay confined in the hotel," he told the AFP news agency.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-47578798
Old 03-15-2019, 02:16 AM   #2
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

The people of New Zealand have been working hard to support each other after these terrible tragedies.

I probably won't be attending my local Mosque prayers next Friday, which I was looking forward to.

Most of my fellow kiwis want the scum behind these attacks to be put to death, but that won't happen in most likeliness, unfortunately.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
Old 03-15-2019, 04:55 AM   #3
The Deadman
Foot Elite

Annnnd the media on Twitter is quick to place the blame on Pewdiepie because the shooter said "subscribe to Pewds" in his video before the shooting started.

Last Movie Watched: Hell House LLC (2015).
Last TV Show Watched: Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog (S1:E29).
Old 03-15-2019, 11:13 AM   #4
Prowler
Emperor

The death toll is now at 49.

How did the killers get assault rifles and manage to bring them illegally into an island nation like NZ? Really strange.
Old 03-15-2019, 11:16 AM   #5
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

It's almost like criminals won't follow the law...

I saw the footage. Yikes!
Old 03-15-2019, 11:22 AM   #6
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post

I know, but how did they bypass airport security and all that stuff? Also, I know jack about guns, but clearly he had experience with guns. Otherwise he'd not have been so successful with an assault rifle. Maybe he had previous military experience?

Yes, it's all over twitter. I watched like 10 seconds of it and it was enough.

One of my country's channels has aired the footage of the attack on tv several times since 10AM, which led to A LOT of people calling in to the HQs of the network complaining about it. I mean, who the hell wants to see THAT while having breakfast or lunch? A bit too early to air such graphic content on TV, no? That being said, that channel is notorious for sensationalism and lack of morals just to achieve ratings and shock value.
Old 03-15-2019, 11:25 AM   #7
snake
Disgusting

Holy f*ck, he started the livestream with a "subscribe to pewdiepie" and blasted memes through his car. It's like a weird fever dream. But- oh well, aren't terror attacks just "part and parcel" of living in a big city?
Old 03-15-2019, 11:26 AM   #8
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by snake View Post
Holy f*ck, he started the livestream with a "subscribe to pewdiepie" and blasted memes through his car. It's like a weird fever dream. But- oh well, aren't terror attacks just "part and parcel" of living in a big city?
Dude also wrote a 70 page manifesto or something.
Old 03-15-2019, 11:30 AM   #9
snake
Disgusting

Yeah, I saw parts of it and they literally read like an average 4chan sh*tpost.

One thing I'll never understand with shooters is how retarded they are in application of their motivation. This guy wanted stop European immigration, so he kills innocent people instead of politicians? Maybe I just want to see a real shakeup, but needless acts of violence towards innocents do nothing for any cause. It's weird, I don't even feel one way or another about this incident after watching the video. It's so brutal and visceral to see it in reality it kind of numbs you. I closed it, said to myself "what an asshole" and just kind of accepted it.

Last edited by snake; 03-15-2019 at 11:46 AM.
Old 03-15-2019, 11:34 AM   #10
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by snake View Post
Yeah, I saw parts of it and they literally read like an average 4chan sh*tpost.

One thing I'll never understand with shooters is how retarded they are in application of their motivation. This guy wanted stop European immigration, so he kills innocent people instead of politicians? Maybe I just want to see a real shakeup, but needless acts of violence towards innocents do nothing for any cause. Dude should be executed publicly.
I haven't read it. **** reading 70 pages. Apparently there's a quote that goes like this in his manifesto though:

"More recently I have been working part time as a kebab removalist"

WTF does this even mean?!
Old 03-15-2019, 11:37 AM   #11
snake
Disgusting

It's a reference to the "Remove Kebab" meme.
Old 03-15-2019, 11:38 AM   #12
Prowler
Emperor

Oh now I remember those Yugoslav war songs videos. Those were popular in like 2010 or so?
Old 03-15-2019, 12:02 PM   #13
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Assuming he probably generalizes Muslims as terrorists, it never ceases to amaze me that it is lost on these wackjobs like him that THEY are in fact the terrorists.

Hell, if all Muslims are big bad scary people and want to destroy us all, then surely your ass should have been toast and shouldn't have even made it out of the first to go attack another place, right?

So... so sick that he streamed it live.
Old 03-15-2019, 12:12 PM   #14
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

The toll of casualties has been updated to 49 dead, and more than 40 injured.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/111...tchurch-mosque

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.

Last edited by FredWolfLeonardo; 03-15-2019 at 10:20 PM.
Old 03-15-2019, 12:21 PM   #15
AquaParade
Banned

Tragic. I can only hope that those that lost their lives lived to their fullest and left a positive impact on those they met. Immeasurable tragedy.
Old 03-15-2019, 01:52 PM   #16
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

Just ... Simply tragic.

My thoughts are with the victims and their loved ones. May their community heal from this.
Old 03-15-2019, 06:29 PM   #17
The Deadman
Foot Elite

Quote:

Pretty sure I saw people on Twitter saying New Zealand has some of the strictest gun laws in the world, as well.

Last Movie Watched: Hell House LLC (2015).
Last TV Show Watched: Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog (S1:E29).
Old 03-15-2019, 08:15 PM   #18
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

And completely separate and probably prickish of me to ask... but sheesh, I mean, this has got to make you rethink your religion, right? You're at a mosque praying, practicing all due diligence in your religion... and some guy just walks in and blows everyone away -- either that higher power has it out for you, or he's asleep at the wheel or doesn't exist... none of these things being good. I could pose the same thing for the church shooting here in the states a while back.

Right?
Old 03-15-2019, 09:57 PM   #19
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
And completely separate and probably prickish of me to ask... but sheesh, I mean, this has got to make you rethink your religion, right? You're at a mosque praying, practicing all due diligence in your religion... and some guy just walks in and blows everyone away -- either that higher power has it out for you, or he's asleep at the wheel or doesn't exist... none of these things being good. I could pose the same thing for the church shooting here in the states a while back.

Right?
That is a fairly rational way to think and feel, yes.

"What an asshole" indeed.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Old 03-15-2019, 10:17 PM   #20
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
I mean, this has got to make you rethink your religion, right?
No, it doesn't make me rethink it.

Closed Thread