The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Old 04-14-2017, 12:08 AM   #21
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill

Quote:
Originally Posted by DestronMirage22 View Post
If you really want to play the games the real way, you should just pick up an actual NES.
Assuming we all have TVs old enough to play it on.
Old 04-14-2017, 12:09 AM   #22
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

The "real way". Hahaha, oh my God.
Cure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 12:21 AM   #23
DestronMirage22
Yukipedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cure View Post
The "real way". Hahaha, oh my God.
Glad I can be of amusement.
DestronMirage22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 12:50 AM   #24
CyberCubed
Overlord

You know I still have my old NES, but I have no idea if it plugs into a modern TV. Seriously, how the hell do I hook up my NES to a modern Sony flat-screen television? I don't think any of the wires still plug in.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 02:37 AM   #25
ProactiveMan
Spooky ghost

I can't believe what I'm reading - it's like Bizzaro World in here. If there was no demand for these things, why has every single shipment of them sold out? Why do gaming websites keep publishing 'NES Classic's are back in stock' articles every couple of months?

As for buying an NES, let me tell you - they are pretty expensive nowadays, a lot of them are decrepit, and the hardware can be a real pain in the ass. The third party clones are expensive and hard to get sometimes, and the games aren't cheap either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
You know I still have my old NES, but I have no idea if it plugs into a modern TV. Seriously, how the hell do I hook up my NES to a modern Sony flat-screen television? I don't think any of the wires still plug in.
It's not hard to hook an NES up to a modern TV if you have RCA leads for the NES, and RCA inputs on the TV, but not all of them do anymore. I'm guessing your TV is a Sony Bravia? A lot of the later models don't have the inputs you need, but they sometimes have a proprietary port that you can pug a dongle into, which will give you RCA-in.

You can try to use the RF input on the TV (antenna port), but that will look like 50 shades of dog sh*t, and you need the RF box that came with the NES. Otherwise, get an HDMI upconverter.
Old 04-14-2017, 06:28 AM   #26
T-U-R-T-L-E POWA!
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Where are the sales figures to support that?
Call any Gamestop and ask them when is the last time they've seen one and then ask them how many calls they get a day about it. Also do the same at Wal Mart, K-Mart, Target and everywhere else. They sold out instantly and fetch insane prices on ebay. I personally think it's retarded to pay that much for them but it's totally not true to say that these weren't in demand. They were in heavy demand. My Target and Wal Mart both had signs up telling people that they were doing their best to get more of them but basically Nintendo didn't produce anymore. Just dumb on Nintendo's part. They've done this "shortage" crap a million times over the years though.
Old 04-14-2017, 06:31 AM   #27
T-U-R-T-L-E POWA!
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
Already pointed out but you couldn't be more wrong Andrew, this was one of the holiday gifts last christmas and it's still near impossible to get.

It makes no sense why Nintendo would discontinue it but the my top 4 theories are:

1-Nintendo doesn't want the NES Mini to distract people from getting a switch
2-Nintendo is only discontinuing it for now and will launch it again soon and with new games (the wording makes this likely)
3-Nintendo didn't like that it was hacked and people could inject roms
4-Nintendo gotta Nintendo

I'm guessing it's more of a combination of 1 and 2 though but with Nintendo you never know it really just might be 4 and they just don't care even if they can still make tons of money from it, the product already did what it was supposed to do, get people talking about Nintendo.
A good point I seen someone make on IGN last night was that maaaaybe Nintendo is discontinuing it because they might be about to have the eshop up and really running on Switch. I have a Switch but haven't even checked the eshop. I actually heard they are gonna put GameCube games on the eshop even and that would be awesome.
Old 04-14-2017, 06:34 AM   #28
T-U-R-T-L-E POWA!
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netkeeper View Post
A massive shame for those that wanted it but I personally had no interest due to various issues with the device regardless of its unicorn rarity tbh

It sure is cute though, I'll give it that.
Yeah I actually didn't get one for the same reason. I just thought it was absolutely asinine to make the cord only 2ft long. I was fine with that in 1986 when I got my original NES but now that's just beyond dumb.
Old 04-14-2017, 08:49 AM   #29
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Am i the only one that still owns a fully functional NES from his childhood? And of course it plugs into a modern tv. In fact its super easy because any set of red and yellow cables will do it. The SNES and Genesis are harder if you lost the original AV cables because the port is console specific and you'd have to find a replica at a retro store, but the NES? Any multicolored AV cable will do the trick.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 09:12 AM   #30
Storm Eagle
Saved by

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
Am i the only one that still owns a fully functional NES from his childhood? And of course it plugs into a modern tv. In fact its super easy because any set of red and yellow cables will do it. The SNES and Genesis are harder if you lost the original AV cables because the port is console specific and you'd have to find a replica at a retro store, but the NES? Any multicolored AV cable will do the trick.
I've still got mine. In fact, I've got two. I've even hooked it up to my TV, which of course is an HDTV. As for the SNES, I'm good since it uses the same multi A/V cord as the N64 and GameCube, and I have those systems too, although the one that came with the SNES went bad and I had to toss it. Still though, it's messed up that Nintendo is discontinuing the NES Classic.
Storm Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 09:24 AM   #31
mrmaczaps
Banned

Quote:
I have a six year old flat screen tv that doesn't have the proper hook ups for my NES console. You can buy an extra cord that converts the hookups to work, yes but without that, they're just boxes sitting and getting dusty... except mine are stored in a tote in my car. Lol.
mrmaczaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 09:24 AM   #32
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-U-R-T-L-E POWA! View Post
I've literally never seen one.
Neither have I. Only seen accessories for it on sale(controllers and cases/bags to carry it in).
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 09:38 AM   #33
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

I've no interest in a NES Classic, but if Nintendo offered a SuperNintendo Classic?

Boy oh boy, take my money.
Old 04-14-2017, 10:56 AM   #34
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-U-R-T-L-E POWA! View Post
Yeah I actually didn't get one for the same reason. I just thought it was absolutely asinine to make the cord only 2ft long. I was fine with that in 1986 when I got my original NES but now that's just beyond dumb.
YEP that was my main reason too. If they made one with wireless controllers I'd be all over wanting it. It was the only change they needed to make!
Old 04-14-2017, 11:06 AM   #35
ToTheNines
[sic]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netkeeper View Post
YEP that was my main reason too. If they made one with wireless controllers I'd be all over wanting it. It was the only change they needed to make!
And maybe a few more games. Chiefly the TMNT trilogy + Tournament Fighters.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 11:08 AM   #36
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill

Well, I mean, I'd love the TMNT trilogy too, but we are all kinda biased around here with regards to that...
Old 04-14-2017, 12:50 PM   #37
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmaczaps View Post
I have a six year old flat screen tv that doesn't have the proper hook ups for my NES console. You can buy an extra cord that converts the hookups to work, yes but without that, they're just boxes sitting and getting dusty... except mine are stored in a tote in my car. Lol.
Your tv didn't have the colored AV ports?

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 02:48 PM   #38
DestronMirage22
Yukipedia

Quote:
Am i the only one that still owns a fully functional NES from his childhood?
I've got two, and three bootleg versions. Guess it's pretty obvious it's one of my favorite consoles.
DestronMirage22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 04:55 PM   #39
Storm Eagle
Saved by

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
I've no interest in a NES Classic, but if Nintendo offered a SuperNintendo Classic?

Boy oh boy, take my money.
What do you think the chances are in that happening after they discontinued the NES Classic?
Storm Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 06:55 PM   #40
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
What do you think the chances are in that happening after they discontinued the NES Classic?
Hey, everything has to be discontinued eventually, let's not consider it impossible.