The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 09-06-2017, 04:39 PM   #21
CyberCubed
Overlord

I also think it's Avatar that had the anime influences in the 2k3 series Season 5.

Avatar came out in 2005, which is likely around the time they were scripting Season 5 of the 4kids series. So you had character with elemental powers in that show and it was very similar to the stuff in TMNT.

Anime took over American cartoons for a while in the early 2000's, same reason Teen Titans was done with anime-esque art style rather than the other DC cartoons at the time.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 05:20 PM   #22
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

I just hope that the mystic ninja powers are cool in the new show, and not stupid or lame... (that's too much to hope for, I know)
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 05:38 PM   #23
CyberCubed
Overlord

I imagine they'll be based on the usual elements that every series/videogame does, (fire, water, electricity, wind, earth, etc).
Old 09-06-2017, 05:42 PM   #24
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I imagine they'll be based on the usual elements that every series/videogame does, (fire, water, electricity, wind, earth, etc).
God... you think it'll be some hackneyed thing like each Turtle being assigned an element? Raph will be Fire, etc., etc.? Eugh...
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 05:54 PM   #25
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Has there already been something said about magic gems, or is that just my fears and seeing too much fan art like that? I can't recall...

This talk of magic stuff, I keep now worrying that they'll one day end up like some Sailor Moon/Power Rangers crossbreed. (To randomly throw together two shows I'm not really familiar with outside of old commercials.)
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 05:59 PM   #26
ToTheNines
[sic]

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
You forgot "science".
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 06:26 PM   #27
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
You forgot "science".
Science isn't really one of the fictional element

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
God... you think it'll be some hackneyed thing like each Turtle being assigned an element? Raph will be Fire, etc., etc.? Eugh...
It would probably
Raph-Fire
Leo-Water
Don-Earth
Mikey-Air
Old 09-06-2017, 06:38 PM   #28
ToTheNines
[sic]

Shut the fu*k up Donnie. You're out of your element.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 09:30 PM   #29
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

I hope to god they don't do some stupid "elemental magic" thing. If they all have just a few superhuman abilities, nothing too OP, then it could be alright. I wouldn't mind seeing the Turtles do some Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon type ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
Shut the fu*k up Donnie. You're out of your element.
lmao
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 09:36 PM   #30
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetofGanja View Post
It's the Dragonball Z for a generation younger than you. People grow up with different things.

"Back in my day we had to walk to school in the snow, and it was uphill both ways! You kids today with your smartphones and your hoverboards don't know how hard we had it! My childhood was more valid than yours! Wah!"
Actually, I hear that being attributed to One Piece more, since Oda is a big fan of DBZ and Toriyama. One Piece being the modern version of DBZ... although OP has been airing since 1999 and the manga has been ongoing since 1996 now.

But ofc Naruto can also be compared since it's another long as hell shounen anime and had a lot of popularity among generations who were too young to remember DBZ.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 01:19 AM   #31
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post

But ofc Naruto can also be compared since it's another long as hell shounen anime and had a lot of popularity among generations who were too young to remember DBZ.
I admit, I have no idea what the most popular show is nowadays that today's kids/teens are into.

It seems the only popular franchises now are just old franchises that get reboots or new iterations. Hell we have Dragonball Super as an example, the first new Dragonball series in 18 years. We have new TMNT cartoons one after the other. We get new Batman, Spiderman, etc. cartoons regularly. Legend of Korra was a sequel to Avatar. Old shows that go on forever like Simpsons, Pokemon, Spongebob, etc. are all still around.

I can't think of any other breakout new franchise in the last couple of years that isn't part of an already established franchise or new series.
Old 09-07-2017, 01:29 AM   #32
Powder
So tired of this place

Oh look, it's another Cybercubed Wants You To Know He Feels Old thread.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 04:48 AM   #33
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

I prefer the Turtles to be less magical and more skilled. I really have no interest seeing the Turtles run on water or turn into a giant toad or a snake.

Most of Ninja magic is just exaggerations on plausible techniques anyway. Walking on water is just a Ninja using mizugumo, invisibility is just a ninja that's good at hiding and turning into a toad is... I donno.

We've already seen limited usage of Kuji-Kiri and near supernatural usage of smoke bombs, and technically we've seen Yojutsu in use whenever the Turtles hides in plain sight as dressing up as people and walking the streets.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 04:57 AM   #34
Metalwolf
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post

I guess it's kind of the same reasoning for me. I just prefer a more down to earth TMNT. There's already been plenty of other (non TMNT) shows with silly powers and junk. The ninja tribunal stuff is fun in a way, for a late series thing for one season, but it's not what I want for an entire series. (And at least in that one they appeared to lose the powers after the final battle in that arc.) I mean if you're just going to have powers, then why even be ninjas... Risking a lot of Mary Sue territory. I prefer the Turtles having to work hard for all they have and do and within the confines of how life works on planet Earth; deep down not really all that different than the humans they live alongside.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PApagreg View Post

OT, I personally prefer my turtles to be more down to earth, I'm personally okay with spirit projections and advance technology but I sort of draw the line when it comes to walking on water or summoning giant toads.
I am also going to say I like the 'down to earth' stuff too. There is already a fantastical element of mutants and ninja clans fighting in a big city, do we really need a generous helping of magic woo thrown in too? 'Ninja magic' just seems like it's going to be an easy cop out like how they are doing with Nick!April, because instead of having her just having some heightened intuition and being some sort of empath (and still remaining relatively down to earth, even with these) she just keeps growing in power and is already far into Mary Sue territory, 'developing' new powers as the plot demands. Will this happen to the Turtles? Will they basically start out 'small' and be at borderline god levels when the series is about over? They are doing a sucky job with April, what will change when it's four Turtles instead?
Metalwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 10:09 AM   #35
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

If the majority of fictional ninjas use mystic powers, the turtles are even more unique by not using it.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 12:55 PM   #36
pferreira
Foot Elite

I guess the problem with magic has more to do with the genre it comes from. TMNT is very sci-fi based people love it for that. But with magic it's less tangible than something tech based so it's more difficult to relate to. Superman has similar problems.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 11:53 PM   #37
DestronMirage22
Yukipedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
This thread reminded me of that ridiculous moment from the tmnt OVA when Splinter deflected a spirit bomb using his fingers, straight out of DragonBall Z.
Ridiculous?
Hmph.
Hey man, that OVA was great.
( ˃̶͈ ̯ ̜ ˂̶͈ˊ )

Last edited by DestronMirage22; 09-08-2017 at 12:01 AM.
DestronMirage22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 12:02 AM   #38
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by DestronMirage22 View Post
Ridiculous?
Hey man, that OVA was great.
( ˃̶͈ ̯ ̜ ˂̶͈ˊ )
I'm not saying I don't like it
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 12:17 AM   #39
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Keep magic away from TMNT. It's not enough they are mutants, now they're magic?
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 12:18 AM   #40
DestronMirage22
Yukipedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
I'm not saying I don't like it
Just kidding around.

I can see why some fans don't like it though. Not everybody's a fan of anime (though I imagine it'd be much cooler if they were) and those OVA episodes were filled with usual anime tropes. Plus, I'm sure seeing the TMNT transform into big dudes with new powers weirded out a lot of folks.
I imagine any new versions that try that kind of stuff would receive about the same response.
DestronMirage22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
panda_cuck_fan, panda_is_not_a_cuck