The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 03-14-2010, 11:35 PM   #1
DrSpengler
Foot Elite

The History of the TMNT in Japan (a research essay)

"The (confusing) History of the TMNT in Japan"

This is a research essay (and opinion piece) that I'd been working on for a while. Thought I'd combine my love of the TMNT and my knowledge of the Japanese language and see if I couldn't make sense of the obscenely confusing releases of the various TMNT media in Japan.

Some of this may be old hat to a few of you, but maybe you'll learn something, too.

I had fun researching the thing; reading Japanese fan sites, manga, magazine scans and watching the various dubs (though, admittedly, I could not find any clips of that pesky NHK2 dub outside of the theme song and had to go by second hand info).

And thanks to folks like Adam Winters for making so much of his extensive TMNT manga and magazine collection available online. Definately VERY helpful.
DrSpengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 11:57 PM   #2
Mutated Turtle
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSpengler View Post
"The (confusing) History of the TMNT in Japan"

This is a research essay (and opinion piece) that I'd been working on for a while. Thought I'd combine my love of the TMNT and my knowledge of the Japanese language and see if I couldn't make sense of the obscenely confusing releases of the various TMNT media in Japan.

Some of this may be old hat to a few of you, but maybe you'll learn something, too.

I had fun researching the thing; reading Japanese fan sites, manga, magazine scans and watching the various dubs (though, admittedly, I could not find any clips of that pesky NHK2 dub outside of the theme song and had to go by second hand info).

And thanks to folks like Adam Winters for making so much of his extensive TMNT manga and magazine collection available online. Definately VERY helpful.
very nice!I bet researching that,ETC, was very confusing.
Mutated Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 12:13 AM   #3
Kendamu
Sewerhead

As someone who has always had an interest in Japanese TMNT and loves those manga scans... sweeeeeet. I'm part of the way through the article right now and it's a very fun read.
Kendamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 12:21 AM   #4
Powder
So tired of this place

That was great to read. I've got the super mutants dvd & love the crap out of it. I wish I could get my hands on other japanese tmnt stuff. Its all so vastly different from that which I'm familiar with. I prefer it to a few of the american variations.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 12:24 AM   #5
Kendamu
Sewerhead

Oh, hey. I see a pic of the Japanese TMNT 3 movie poster, but I only see descriptions for movies 1, 2, and 4.
Kendamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 08:30 AM   #6
Luzmagica
A Magic Light Dudette!

Very interesting post!! ..I was curious and I like to know about Japanish versions!!! Thanks a lot for share!!!
Old 03-15-2010, 08:35 AM   #7
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Dude, this is one of your most impressive entries yet! It had been a while since your last update, so I figured you were working on something big! This is the definitive Japanese TMNT write-up that had been sorely lacking!

EDIT: I know it would probably be impossible to list every TMNT publication in Japan, but I don't think I caught a reference to the 9 book series that Shogakukan put out adapting OT episodes and the Super Turtles in #9 (you used a couple of cover scans in the article).

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!

Last edited by oldmanwinters; 03-15-2010 at 08:43 AM.
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 09:08 AM   #8
DrSpengler
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goongasnootch View Post
Oh, hey. I see a pic of the Japanese TMNT 3 movie poster, but I only see descriptions for movies 1, 2, and 4.
TMNT 2 and TMNT 3 share the same paragraph since there wasn't really a whole lot to say about either that warranted two separate ones. TMNT 2 used the same cast as the theatrical dub of TMNT 1, but TMNT 3 used a hodgepodge of the TV Tokyo cast and other talent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
EDIT: I know it would probably be impossible to list every TMNT publication in Japan, but I don't think I caught a reference to the 9 book series that Shogakukan put out adapting OT episodes and the Super Turtles in #9 (you used a couple of cover scans in the article).
Hm, did I mix up? The 15 volume Dengeki series of episode adaptations has its own write up in there alongside the aforementioned image scans.
DrSpengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 06:54 PM   #9
John Pannozzi
Stone Warrior

I should point out that the TMNT III manga adaptation (by Haato Mikaeru) shown below is a different one than the one Splengs mentioned in his article (which was done by Yosuhiko Hachino). Someone better check it out and see how different the two adaptations are (maybe I will).
Originally Posted by Bergerjacques
It was definitely not a kid's book.
That was the thing that always mystified me about the turn the franchise took when Eastman and Laird licensed the cartoon and the parallel comic book published by the same outfit that gave us Archie. The turtles' original origin story? The whole thing hinges on a for-Christ's-sake rape-murder!!!!
from here.
John Pannozzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 07:09 PM   #10
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Pannozzi View Post
I should point out that the TMNT III manga adaptation (by Haato Mikaeru) shown below is a different one than the one Splengs mentioned in his article (which was done by Yosuhiko Hachino). Someone better check it out and see how different the two adaptations are (maybe I will).
Yup, that other TMNT III volume was published by Dengeki Comics, the same company that produced the 15 volume TV episode adaptations, the 3 volume Super Turtles series, and the very cool Mutant Turtles Gaiden.

Here's some pics of it I've found over the years:

I have no idea what kind of book is next to it in this pic. EDIT: Oh, it's just the B. B. Hiller novelization in Japanese.

Since the Comic Bom Bom version of TMNT III is divided into chapters, I wonder if the chapters originally appeared in the Comic Bom Bom monthly series during 1994 before being collected into a single volume. It seems like something they might do.

My guess is that the Comic Bom Bom book will diverge more sharply from the actual movie moreso than the Dengeki edition. From what I've seen of Comic Bom Bom and Dengeki TMNT comics, CBB leaned more toward the surreal, exaggerated stories and art while Dengeki was more content to simply adapt scripts in a more conservative (and less entertaining fashion).

Comparison of the two books' dimensions:

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!

Last edited by oldmanwinters; 12-14-2011 at 01:26 AM.
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
japan, tmnt entity