The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Old 10-18-2019, 02:57 PM   #1
TMNTfan83
Mouser

Vintage TMNT cardback number variations

Hi everyone, I’m kinda still new to collecting. My question is I’ve been trying to collect 1988 1989 1990 MOC figures. I noticed in 88 all of them were 10 back then in 1989 I see that they had a couple different number of card backs as for 1990 they had a couple different ones also. My question is Does anybody have a source or a website they can link me to that shows the different variations of the card backs? I’m trying to get the earliest figures for 1989 and 1990 figures but I keep seeing 44, 37, and 27 backs and things like that. Which figures came with what number of figures on the cardback? any help would be greatly appreciated thank you everyone
TMNTfan83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 03:34 PM   #2
mikey0
Foot Elite

I searched Google for “Type A unpunched card” and only one site came up. The site below is a good source for release dates of original TMNT figures and re-releases.

https://tmnt-ninjaturtles.com/tmnt-figures/

There aren’t many sites dedicated to the 1988 to 1997 Playmates toy line. I believe there were some in the past (late 90s into the early 2010s), but they’re not up anymore. I don’t remember the names of the ones I’ve came across.
The site above should give you an idea of the re-releases sold between 1989 to 1990. You may have to visit your local library and see if they have a large action figure guide (with the B/W pages) from the 90s.
mikey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 04:33 PM   #3
TMNTfan83
Mouser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey0 View Post
I searched Google for “Type A unpunched card” and only one site came up. The site below is a good source for release dates of original TMNT figures and re-releases.

https://tmnt-ninjaturtles.com/tmnt-figures/

There aren’t many sites dedicated to the 1988 to 1997 Playmates toy line. I believe there were some in the past (late 90s into the early 2010s), but they’re not up anymore. I don’t remember the names of the ones I’ve came across.
The site above should give you an idea of the re-releases sold between 1989 to 1990. You may have to visit your local library and see if they have a large action figure guide (with the B/W pages) from the 90s.
So say for an example leather head. It says he had 1 1989 card which was Asst. 5000 and 1 stock number which was 5052. So does the one stock number mean he only had 1 cardback period? No variants Like if he had 2 different stock #s he would have had 2 different card backs with different amount of figures on it?

Sorry If I’m confusing you just trying to learn stuff about them.
Old 10-18-2019, 05:05 PM   #4
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMNTfan83 View Post
So say for an example leather head. It says he had 1 1989 card which was Asst. 5000 and 1 stock number which was 5052. So does the one stock number mean he only had 1 cardback period? No variants Like if he had 2 different stock #s he would have had 2 different card backs with different amount of figures on it?

Sorry If I’m confusing you just trying to learn stuff about them.
Leatherhead was only released on a Type C cardback. Both the 1989 regular release and 1990 pop-up mutant display release had Type C cardbacks. The information on the site I listed is correct. I don’t know why the pop-up versions aren’t listed on the aforementioned site. It could be because the owner of the webpage did not know the year that the pop-up mutant display figures were released (early 1990).
Old 10-19-2019, 01:52 PM   #5
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Hi everyone, I’m kinda still new to collecting. My question is I’ve been trying to collect 1988 1989 1990 MOC figures. I noticed in 88 all of them were 10 back then in 1989 I see that they had a couple different number of card backs as for 1990 they had a couple different ones also. My question is Does anybody have a source or a website they can link me to that shows the different variations of the card backs? I’m trying to get the earliest figures for 1989 and 1990 figures but I keep seeing 44, 37, and 27 backs and things like that. Which figures came with what number of figures on the cardback? any help would be greatly appreciated thank you everyone
The 1988 full yellow jumpsuit April, soft head turtles, Shredder, Rocksteady, Splinter, and Bebop with fan forms were launched in June of ‘88 on Type A cards (10 backs). The second batch of soft head turtles, Shredder, Rocksteady, Splinter, and Bebop without fan forms were on store shelves with the second wave (Krang, Genghis, Baxter, and Ace Duck) on Type A cards (10 backs) somewhere in the second or third quarter of 1989. The hard head turtles, Shredder, Rocksteady, Splinter, and Bebop along with blue stripe April were all introduced in the third or fourth quarter of 1989 on Type A cards.The 1992 Target Special Collector’s 4 Pack of The Original TMNT had the copyright date of 1989 and those were all hard heads. The soft heads were definitely discontinued in 1989, but some small businesses had the soft heads out and in the back until Turtlemania hit in April of 1990. The hard head reissues of the ‘88 figures were re-released in time for the 3rd basic wave (Rat King and Casey Jones wave) and they were all sold on Type A cards. Then, the 1st basic wave hard head figures with pop-up mutant displays were released in the first quarter of 1990 (maybe second) in Type A. Lastly, the 1st basic assortment hard head figures were reissued on Type E2 cards (the newly modeled basic April cards). The early 1991 1st basic wave figures on the Type E2 cards were sold until late in 1993 or 1994.

The 2nd wave figures (Krang, Genghis, Baxter, and Ace Duck) were all sold on Type B cards (14 back) in the second or third quarter of 1989. The 2nd basic wave figures with the pop-up mutant displays are carried on Type B cards, also. Those were never reissued on newer 1991 cards. On a side note, the 2nd wave set up the lineup to the last mini-basic wave that came one year later (wave 4 - Wingut, Muckman, Mondo Gecko, and Scumbug).

Most of the 3rd wave figures (Rat King, Usagi, Casey, General Traag, Metalhead, and Leatherhead) came on Type C1 cards (19 characters on the back [without full yellow jumpsuit April]). General Traag and Rat King were on Type C2 cards (20 characters in total [including April without the blue stripe]). The 3rd basic wave figures with pop-up mutant displays were on Type C1 and C2 cards. No differences for the pop-up mutant display releases. Casey Jones is the only figure from this basic wave that was re-released on a Type E2 card (due to the popularity of the character after the 1990 movie came out).

Most of the 4th wave figures (Mondo Gecko, Wingut, Scumbug, and Muckman) were sold in the 3rd quarter of 1990 on Type D (28 back w/1st sub-wave of Wacky Action figures) and E2 cards (w/both sets of Wacky Action figures and April w/PRESS on the back). The hard head regular release 1st basic wave figures from late ‘89 (Type A cards), 2nd basic wave (Type B), and 3rd basic wave figures (Type C1 and C2 cards) were still in the cases with these. Of course, Mondo Gecko was released along with the 5th wave figures on Type E1 backs (27 backs w/ full yellow jumpsuit April on it/31 backs w/full yellow jumpsuit April/33 backs w/full yellow jumpsuit April) and a Type E2 back (44 back w/ April w/ PRESS sign). Mondo Gecko was not sold on a Type D card (28 back) for some unknown reason.

Most of 5th wave figures (Mutagen Man, Slash, Triceraton, Napoleon, Panda Khan, and Fugitoid) were first sold on Type E1 cards (37 back with the 1st basic wave April in the full yellow jumpsuit without blue stripe) in the 4th quarter of 1990. The variant figures like Slash and Ray Filet had 31 backs and 44 backs. There was the color-changing Ray Filet [w/variant] and Ray Filet without
color-change feature [w/variant]. 5th wave figures on Type E2 cards (44 back with the 1st ever newly modeled April [PRESS] on the back) were sold in the late in the first quarter or early in the second quarter of 1991 with the newly modeled April that had the PRESS sign on it and afterwards when the PRESS sign was dropped in favor of orange pockets. There wasn’t a Type E3 card for the April without the PRESS sign. The 5th wave had the strongest connection to the 3rd wave (Rat King wave) as it was the first ever large basic assortment of the early 1990s.

The 6th wave figures (Dirtbag, Groundchuck, Chromedome, Walkabout, and Wyrm) all came on Type F cards (45 backs).

Lastly, the 7th wave figures (Skateboardin’ Mike, Hose ‘Em Down Don, Make My Day Leo, Wyrm, Zak, Space Usagi, Tattoo, Sgt. Bananas, Super Shredder, Tokka, and Rahzar) were on Type G1 (68 back [without late 1992 pamphlet]) and G2 cards (69 back [with late 1992 pamphlet]). This was the final basic assortment with ties to the 3rd wave (Rat King wave).

I’ll update this post with any additional information I come across.

Last edited by mikey0; 10-20-2019 at 01:10 PM.
Old 10-20-2019, 12:13 PM   #6
TMNTfan83
Mouser

Quote:
The 1988 full yellow jumpsuit April, soft head turtles, Shredder, Rocksteady, Splinter, and Bebop with fan forms were launched in June of ‘88 on Type A cards (10 backs). The second batch of soft head turtles, Shredder, Rocksteady, Splinter, and Bebop without fan forms were on store shelves with the second wave (Krang, Genghis, Baxter, and Ace Duck) on Type A cards (10 backs) somewhere in the second or third quarter of 1989. The hard head turtles, Shredder, Rocksteady, Splinter, and Bebop along with blue stripe April were all introduced in the third or fourth quarter of 1989 on Type A cards.The 1992 Target Special Collector’s 4 Pack of The Original TMNT had the copyright date of 1989 and those were all hard heads. The soft heads were definitely discontinued in 1989, but some small businesses had the soft heads out and in the back until Turtlemania hit in April of 1990. The hard head reissues of the ‘88 figures were re-released in time for the 3rd basic wave (Rat King and Casey Jones wave) and they were all sold on Type A cards. Then, the 1st basic wave hard head figures with pop-up mutant displays were released in the first quarter of 1990 (maybe second) in Type A. Lastly, the 1st basic assortment hard head figures were reissued on Type E2 cards (the newly modeled basic April cards). The early 1991 1st basic wave figures on the Type E2 cards were sold until late in 1993 or 1994.

The 2nd wave figures (Krang, Genghis, Baxter, and Ace Duck) were all sold on Type B cards (14 back) in the second or third quarter of 1989. The 2nd basic wave figures with the pop-up mutant displays are carried on Type B cards, also. Those were never reissued on newer 1991 cards. On a side note, the 2nd wave set up the lineup to the last mini-basic wave that came one year later (wave 4 - Wingut, Muckman, Mondo Gecko, and Scumbug).

Most of the 3rd wave figures (Rat King, Usagi, Casey, General Traag, Metalhead, and Leatherhead) came on Type C1 cards (19 characters on the back [without full yellow jumpsuit April]). General Traag and Rat King were on Type C2 cards (20 characters in total [including April without the blue stripe]). The 3rd basic wave figures with pop-up mutant displays were on Type C1 and C2 cards. No differences for the pop-up mutant display releases. Casey Jones is the only figure from this basic wave that was re-released on a Type E2 card (due to the popularity of the character after the 1990 movie came out).

Most of the 4th wave figures (Mondo Gecko, Wingut, Scumbug, and Muckman) were sold in the 3rd quarter of 1990 on Type D (28 back w/1st sub-wave of Wacky Action figures) and E2 cards (w/both sets of Wacky Action figures and April w/PRESS on the back). The hard head regular release 1st basic wave figures from late ‘89 (Type A cards), 2nd basic wave (Type B), and 3rd basic wave figures (Type C1 and C2 cards) were still in the cases with these. Of course, Mondo Gecko was released along with the 5th wave figures on Type E1 backs (27 backs w/ full yellow jumpsuit April on it/31 backs w/full yellow jumpsuit April/33 backs w/full yellow jumpsuit April) and a Type E2 back (44 back w/ April w/ PRESS sign). Mondo Gecko was not sold on a Type D card (28 back) for some unknown reason.

Most of 5th wave figures (Mutagen Man, Slash, Triceraton, Napoleon, Panda Khan, and Fugitoid) were first sold on Type E1 cards (37 back with the 1st basic wave April in the full yellow jumpsuit without blue stripe) in the 4th quarter of 1990. The variant figures like Slash and Ray Filet had 27 backs and 31 backs. There was the color-changing Ray Filet [w/variant] and Ray Filet without
color-change feature [w/variant]. 5th wave figures on Type E2 cards (44 back with the 1st ever newly modeled April [PRESS] on the back) were sold in the late in the first quarter or early in the second quarter of 1991 with the newly modeled April that had the PRESS sign on it and afterwards when the PRESS sign was dropped in favor of orange pockets. There wasn’t a Type E3 card for the April without the PRESS sign. The 5th wave had the strongest connection to the 3rd wave (Rat King wave) as it was the first ever large basic assortment of the early 1990s.

The 6th wave figures (Dirtbag, Groundchuck, Chromedome, Walkabout, and Wyrm) all came on Type F cards (45 backs).

Lastly, the 7th wave figures (Skateboardin’ Mike, Hose ‘Em Down Don, Make My Day Leo, Wyrm, Zak, Space Usagi, Tattoo, Sgt. Bananas, Super Shredder, Tokka, and Rahzar) were on Type G1 (68 back [without late 1992 pamphlet]) and G2 cards (69 back [with late 1992 pamphlet]). This was the final basic assortment with ties to the 3rd wave (Rat King wave).

I’ll update this post with any additional information I come across.

Thank you for the lengthy reply. I’m not an expert by any means. I’m still learning a loT. I’m just trying to get the first release of 1989 and 1990 figures. I have all figures except traag and rat king as 14 backs.

As for 1990 I have wingnut, scumbag, on 28 backs.

But I have some others idk if they are first release or not?

Ray fillet- 39 back
Pizza face- 39 back
Mutagen man - 44 back
fugitoid- 31 back
Slash- 31 back

Also I have a 31 back mondo gecko but you said it was never released on a 31 back? Or am I mistaken.

Thank a lot for all the help.
Old 10-20-2019, 01:06 PM   #7
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Thank you for the lengthy reply. I’m not an expert by any means. I’m still learning a loT. I’m just trying to get the first release of 1989 and 1990 figures. I have all figures except traag and rat king as 14 backs.

As for 1990 I have wingnut, scumbag, on 28 backs.

But I have some others idk if they are first release or not?

Ray fillet- 39 back
Pizza face- 39 back
Mutagen man - 44 back
fugitoid- 31 back
Slash- 31 back

Also I have a 31 back mondo gecko but you said it was never released on a 31 back? Or am I mistaken.

Thank a lot for all the help.
You’re very welcome.

Mondo Gecko was never released on a 27 back. 31 back Mondo Gecko should be quite common.

The eBay seller, maraxusofkeld, claims to have had a 38 back color-changing Ray Filet [without the figure and accessories], but I think that was a typo.

The 39 back Pizzaface is a first release.

The 44 back Mutagen Man is a second release (early 1991 release). The original Mutagen man card has 37 characters on it.

The 27 back Fugitoid is the earliest release. The 31 back Fugitoid is the second and last release. The first release Fugitoid has the 1st ever April on the back, whereas the second one has the new 90s April with PRESS on the back.

Slash was a 31 back first in late 1990 and then a 44 back in early 1991. I have to go back and correct what I typed earlier.

Last edited by mikey0; 10-20-2019 at 01:19 PM.
Old 10-20-2019, 03:39 PM   #8
mikey0
Foot Elite

Type A1/A2 (10 back) Fan Club mention for each one of the soft head turtles

Type A2 (10 back) - Fan Club is mentioned for soft head turtles (despite the flyer not being included)/1st batch of hard heads had these cards also

Type B (14 back) - 2nd wave

Type A3 (10 back) PACKAGE PRINTED IN HONG KONG & ASSEMBLED AND PACKED IN MACAO with Fan Club mention on back for the earliest hard head turtles and without the Fan Club mention

Type C1 (19 back) [April is not seen] - 3rd wave minus General Traag

Type C2 (20 back) [April is visible] - Only General Traag and Casey Jones appeared on these cards

1990 (Biggest Year for Original TMNT Basic Assortment Releases In All of History)

Type A3 (10 back) - Donatello is the only turtle with a Pop-Up Mutant Display that has a Fan Club notice on the back.

Type A4 (10 back) - Pop-Up Mutant Display 1st wave figures (minus Donatello)/ No Pop-Up Mutant Display hard head figures

Type B (14 back) - 2nd wave Pop-Up Mutant Display figures

Type C1 (19 back) - Most of the 3rd wave Pop-Up Mutant Display figures

Type C2 (20 back) - General Traag w/Pop-Up Mutant Display

Type D (28 back) - Most of wave 4 (not Mondo Gecko [late wave 4 release])

Type E1 (27 back/31 back/33 back/37 back) - Wave 5 (w/Mondo Gecko included)

Type E2 (44 back) - Wave 5 + 1988 & 1989 figure re-releases

Type F (45 back) - Wave 6

Type G1 (68 back[Slash is missing]) - Zak the Neutrino only

Type G2 (69 back) - Most of Wave 7 (except Zak the Neutrino)

This list should help to clear things up for you, OP.

Last edited by mikey0; 07-06-2020 at 07:46 AM.
Old 10-20-2019, 05:04 PM   #9
TMNTfan83
Mouser

Quote:

Type A1/A2 (10 back) Fan Club mention for each one of the soft head turtles

Type A2 (10 back) - Fan Club is mentioned for soft head turtles (despite the flyer not being included)/1st batch of hard heads had these cards also

Type B (14 back) - 2nd wave

Type A3 (10 back) PACKAGE PRINTED IN HONG KONG & ASSEMBLED AND PACKED IN MACAO

Type C1 (19 back) [April is not seen] - 3rd wave minus General Traag

Type C2 (20 back) [April is visible] - Only General Traag and Casey Jones appeared on these cards

1990 (Biggest Year for Original TMNT Basic Assortment Releases In All of History)

Type A3 (10 back) - Pop-Up Mutant Display figures

Type B (14 back) - Pop-Up Mutant Display figures

Type C1 (19 back) - Most of the 3rd wave Pop-Up Mutant Display figures

Type C2 (20 back) - General Traag w/Pop-Up Mutant Display

Type D (28 back) - Most of wave 4 (not Mondo Gecko [late wave 4 release])

Type E1 (27 back/31 back/33 back/37 back) - Wave 5 (w/Mondo Gecko included)

Type E2 (44 back) - Wave 5 + 1988 & 1989 figure re-releases

Type F (45 back) - Wave 6

Type G1 (68 back[Slash is missing]) - Zak the Neutrino only

Type G2 (69 back) - Most of Wave 7 (except Zak the Neutrino)

This list should help to clear things up for you, OP.

Thanks for the reply, I’m sure you are an expert, but how do you know so much about them? Is their a book or website I can use that has this information on it? I thought about buying an unofficial guide from the UK that shows the variants and stuff. But I wasn’t sure about the content in it.

As for the 5 that I’m needing to finish 1990 which cardbacks would I want to look for, to get a first release?

Napoleon Bonafrog- 37 back?
Muckman-28 back?
Mondo Gecko-28 back?
Triceraton-37 back?
Panda Khan-37 back?

Thank you for all your help. I’m learning so much.
Old 10-20-2019, 06:03 PM   #10
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Thanks for the reply, I’m sure you are an expert, but how do you know so much about them? Is their a book or website I can use that has this information on it? I thought about buying an unofficial guide from the UK that shows the variants and stuff. But I wasn’t sure about the content in it.

As for the 5 that I’m needing to finish 1990 which cardbacks would I want to look for, to get a first release?

Napoleon Bonafrog- 37 back?
Muckman-28 back?
Mondo Gecko-28 back?
Triceraton-37 back?
Panda Khan-37 back?

Thank you for all your help. I’m learning so much.
You’re welcome. I had do research by going on eBay and online toy shops like Dallas Vintage Toys. Unfortunately, the website mentioned in my first post in this thread and the TMNT Toy Museum (www.tmnttoys.com) are the only sites that have information like this. One of those
“Tomart’s Price Guide to Action Figures and Collectibles” from the early to mid 90s might have this information in there, but I haven’t looked in one in years. I remember seeing a stock image of the 2nd wave (Baxter, Krang, Genghis, and Ace Duck wave) and a small mention of the card types for the 1988 and 1989 figures in a 1995 edition of the guide, but I can’t find scans of the pages anywhere online.The Unofficial Collector’s Guide to Playmates TMNT Vol. 1 (‘88 to ‘90) and Vol. 2 (‘91 to ‘93) by Cybertron Collectibles on Etsy are good guides, but they don’t point out every difference in the card backs. You can see a review of the first volume here:https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AJ7o_dDlhsw

The Napoleon Bonafrog on 37 back is the first and only release from 1990. Napoleon was sold on a 44 back in 1991.

The 28 back Muckman is the first and only release of the character in the whole toy line.

A 28 back Mondo Gecko does not exist. Mondo Gecko was late wave 4 release.

I don’t believe a 37 back Triceraton was ever in any cases. The 31 back Triceraton is the original carded Triceraton figure. Triceraton was released on a 44 back card along with Napoleon Bonafrog.

The Panda Khan on the 37 back was the first release of the character before the 44 back Panda Khan hit shelves in early 1991.

* I made a small correction to my list. The 1st release of 1st basic wave hard head turtles still had the Fan Club mention on the back. The 2nd release of the 1st basic wave hard head turtles did not have the Fan Club mention.

I hope this helps.

Last edited by mikey0; 10-20-2019 at 06:37 PM.
Old 10-20-2019, 08:21 PM   #11
TMNTfan83
Mouser

Quote:
You’re welcome. I had do research by going on eBay and online toy shops like Dallas Vintage Toys. Unfortunately, the website mentioned in my first post in this thread and the TMNT Toy Museum (www.tmnttoys.com) are the only sites that have information like this. One of those
“Tomart’s Price Guide to Action Figures and Collectibles” from the early to mid 90s might have this information in there, but I haven’t looked in one in years. I remember seeing a stock image of the 2nd wave (Baxter, Krang, Genghis, and Ace Duck wave) and a small mention of the card types for the 1988 and 1989 figures in a 1995 edition of the guide, but I can’t find scans of the pages anywhere online.The Unofficial Collector’s Guide to Playmates TMNT Vol. 1 (‘88 to ‘90) and Vol. 2 (‘91 to ‘93) by Cybertron Collectibles on Etsy are good guides, but they don’t point out every difference in the card backs. You can see a review of the first volume here:https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AJ7o_dDlhsw

The Napoleon Bonafrog on 37 back is the first and only release from 1990. Napoleon was sold on a 44 back in 1991.

The 28 back Muckman is the first and only release of the character in the whole toy line.

A 28 back Mondo Gecko does not exist. Mondo Gecko was late wave 4 release.

I don’t believe a 37 back Triceraton was ever in any cases. The 31 back Triceraton is the original carded Triceraton figure. Triceraton was released on a 44 back card along with Napoleon Bonafrog.

The Panda Khan on the 37 back was the first release of the character before the 44 back Panda Khan hit shelves in early 1991.

* I made a small correction to my list. The 1st release of 1st basic wave hard head turtles still had the Fan Club mention on the back. The 2nd release of the 1st basic wave hard head turtles did not have the Fan Club mention.

I hope this helps.

Ok great, that helps me so much. But I had a couple more quick questions. From your previous reply you said they made a 14 back for general traag and rat king? If so they must be super tough to find because I couldn’t even find one on eBay!

Also I have a 39 back ray fillet color change. Is that the first release?

Sorry so many questions just trying to learn as much as possible.
Old 10-20-2019, 09:09 PM   #12
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Ok great, that helps me so much. But I had a couple more quick questions. From your previous reply you said they made a 14 back for general traag and rat king? If so they must be super tough to find because I couldn’t even find one on eBay!

Also I have a 39 back ray fillet color change. Is that the first release?

Sorry so many questions just trying to learn as much as possible.
No worries. The ‘88 to ‘91 era of the original TMNT toy line was my favorite.

General Traag and Casey Jones were not a part of the 2nd basic wave. They don’t come on 14 backs. Both original release General Traag and Casey Jones come on 20 backs. Casey Jones on the 44 back is rare because none of the other wave 3 characters were re-released in 1991. The first release Casey Jones (on the 20 back) was hard to find during the holiday season of 1990 because of the character’s appearance in the 1990 film, so Playmates re-released Casey. I don’t believe many 44 back Casey Jones were produced either. The new re-releases with the 1990 copyright date consisted of the turtles, Bebop, Rocksteady, Splinter, Shredder, Foot Soldier, Krang, and Casey. Basically, every main character from the cartoon and Casey who was known for the then-recent FW cartoon episodes and 1990 movie.

The 39 back color-change Ray Filet was the first ever Ray Filet release. The color-change Ray Fillet variant also came on a 39 back. All versions of the 2nd release of Ray Fillet without “Awesome Mutant Color Change” on it came on a 44 back.

Last edited by mikey0; 10-20-2019 at 09:55 PM.
Old 10-20-2019, 10:20 PM   #13
TMNTfan83
Mouser

Quote:
No worries. The ‘88 to ‘91 era of the original TMNT toy line was my favorite.

General Traag and Casey Jones were not a part of the 2nd basic wave. They don’t come on 14 backs. Both original release General Traag and Casey Jones come on 20 backs. Casey Jones on the 44 back is rare because none of the other wave 3 characters were re-released in 1991. The first release Casey Jones (on the 20 back) was hard to find during the holiday season of 1990 because of the character’s appearance in the 1990 film, so Playmates re-released Casey. I don’t believe many 44 back Casey Jones were produced either. The new re-releases with the 1990 copyright date consisted of the turtles, Bebop, Rocksteady, Splinter, Shredder, Foot Soldier, Krang, and Casey. Basically, every main character from the cartoon and Casey who was known for the then-recent FW cartoon episodes and 1990 movie.

The 39 back color-change Ray Filet was the first ever Ray Filet release. The color-change Ray Fillet variant also came on a 39 back. All versions of the 2nd release of Ray Fillet without “Awesome Mutant Color Change” on it came on a 44 back.

Ok so let me get this straight, the 20 back traag I have isnt a first release? What about my 20 back rat king? Is that also not a first release?

As for the Casey jones I have is a 19 back. So your saying they have a 20 back that is actually the first release of it?

Sorry if I’m being confusing, I just want to make sure I’m buying the right figures instead of ones I have to upgrade from later.
Old 10-20-2019, 10:49 PM   #14
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Ok so let me get this straight, the 20 back traag I have isnt a first release? What about my 20 back rat king? Is that also not a first release?

As for the Casey jones I have is a 19 back. So your saying they have a 20 back that is actually the first release of it?

Sorry if I’m being confusing, I just want to make sure I’m buying the right figures instead of ones I have to upgrade from later.
You’re not being confusing at all.

The 20 back General Traag and Rat King are first releases and Casey Jones, Leatherhead, Metalhead, and Usagi Yojimbo were originally released on 19 backs in 1989.
Old 10-21-2019, 09:22 AM   #15
mikey0
Foot Elite

Here is an approved sample of Mondo Gecko from August 14th of 1990:

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthoped...cko-1732067350

Mondo Gecko should have been released on a 28 back with the other wave 4 characters, but I believe Mondo Gecko was a late release.
Old 10-21-2019, 07:17 PM   #16
TMNTfan83
Mouser

Quote:
You’re not being confusing at all.

The 20 back General Traag and Rat King are first releases and Casey Jones, Leatherhead, Metalhead, and Usagi Yojimbo were originally released on 19 backs in 1989.
Ok great! I had no clue they had a 20 back as a first release. I figured since the 19 back had less characters it would have been technically released first. I did a quick search and couldn’t even find them on eBay. Traag and rat king must be a pain to find on 20 backs. I would love to get them sometime.

Also I order my Protective cases from toyshield, but they have been sold out for awhile now. Which sucks. I need like 10 of them. Would anybody know where I could get some at?
Old 10-21-2019, 10:01 PM   #17
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Ok great! I had no clue they had a 20 back as a first release. I figured since the 19 back had less characters it would have been technically released first. I did a quick search and couldn’t even find them on eBay. Traag and rat king must be a pain to find on 20 backs. I would love to get them sometime.

Also I order my Protective cases from toyshield, but they have been sold out for awhile now. Which sucks. I need like 10 of them. Would anybody know where I could get some at?
There were quite a few General Traags and Rat Kings on EBay when I did a search. You have to put the names of the characters and “moc” in the search bar.

At the moment, only the CGA Store has acrylic display cases on sale. They’re $29.99. ZoloWorld is sold out of their $5.35 protective cases at the moment. I have no idea when they’re getting more in.
Old 10-29-2019, 11:08 AM   #18
ChicagoTMNTfan1
Thug

Quote:
Actually, I am currently in the process of writing a book that covers the entire vintage line with variations such as the ones you’re asking about. There are a lot of card back variations for 89 but even more for 90. The book itself walk include full color photos of every variation listed.
ChicagoTMNTfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 11:59 AM   #19
IMJ
Emperor

It's too bad that Playmates didn't do something similar to what they did with Star Trek - white lettering on the callout information to the left of the bubble generally meant first run issued.

This whole thread really points out that MOC TMNT collecting can be as nuanced as MOC vintage Star Wars collecting.

Quote:
ZoloWorld
I had their newest card flattening Playmates cases ordered back when they were prototypes. It took forever for them to deliver, but it was worth the wait because those are truly quality cases. Now I just wish they'd do a set that mates up to the 90's Marvel Action Hour stuff.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 05:23 PM   #20
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoTMNTfan1 View Post
Actually, I am currently in the process of writing a book that covers the entire vintage line with variations such as the ones you’re asking about. There are a lot of card back variations for 89 but even more for 90. The book itself walk include full color photos of every variation listed.
All of them are listed in here, the free download link for Collecting TMNT Figures 1988-1990 is here: https://daddarulekonge.itch.io/colle...-1990?download
Some of the information is incorrect, though. The Pop-Up Mutant Display Figures were from early 1990 and not 1988-1989, for example. The author of Collecting TMNT Figures 1988 - 1990 goes by copyright dates instead of the release dates. My information in this thread is from memory. It is correct.

Last edited by mikey0; 10-29-2019 at 06:04 PM.