The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Nick TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Old 10-27-2020, 07:44 AM   #1
CyberCubed
Overlord

Why didn't this series get a movie like Rise is getting?

So as most know, Rise of the TMNT is getting a movie after the show ended. The 4kids 2k3 series also got Turtles Forever, a movie, after the series concluded too after Season 7.

I always figured the 2012 cartoon would be perfect for a movie, but it oddly never got one. I suppose it's still technically possible down the road as a nostalgia revisit for the kids who grew up with the show (and they have all the CG models/assets in storage), so I guess it could still happen someday.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 07:56 AM   #2
newfan
Mad Scientist

In the case of 2k3, it was still the latest version at the time, movie took place not long after the series. With '12, it was already replaced before it had ended so Nick had moved on. I mean there still might not have been a movie even if the situation was different but I feel there would have been more room for one (Also timing, by the time Nick and Netflix got an agreement, Rise was the current show). I no-longer feel there is a chance that '12 will be revisited, by itself anyway, maybe if they even did another multiuniverse thing down the line they could show up.

Don't get me wrong, I would love it if among the other stuff Nick threw in a DVD release or things had been different but it isn't the case.

Last edited by newfan; 10-27-2020 at 08:50 AM.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 09:34 AM   #3
Cyndaquilfan123
Foot Soldier

I mean, Ciro has something. But who knows if we will ever see it.
Old 10-27-2020, 09:46 AM   #4
Luckyday
Mad Scientist

I think he said he wanted do another kraang invasion of Kraang but this time with invasion of body snatchers.

Maybe it would been for the best.
We’re not unicorns!
WE’RE WOMEN AND WE TAKE WHAT WE WANT!
-Wendy Corduroy, Gravity Falls
Luckyday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 12:04 PM   #5
Shark_Blade
Emperor

What will the movie be about anyway? Splinter's dead, Shredder is dead. They also had the Same As It Never Was 2012 style in Season 5.

They could do an Apritello wedding (a contrast of Capril's wedding in 2k3). She doesn't have any problem getting it on with a mutant turtle considering she's a mutant herself.

Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 02:04 PM   #6
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
So as most know, Rise of the TMNT is getting a movie after the show ended. The 4kids 2k3 series also got Turtles Forever, a movie, after the series concluded too after Season 7.

I always figured the 2012 cartoon would be perfect for a movie, but it oddly never got one. I suppose it's still technically possible down the road as a nostalgia revisit for the kids who grew up with the show (and they have all the CG models/assets in storage), so I guess it could still happen someday.
The show got five seasons and the Mad Max episodes edited together might as well be a "movie". There's plenty of material as is, I don't see why a movie is necessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_Blade View Post
They could do an Apritello wedding (a contrast of Capril's wedding in 2k3). She doesn't have any problem getting it on with a mutant turtle considering she's a mutant herself.

https://i.imgur.com/JIAq3UA.jpg
"Yes, creepy sewer dwelling pseudo-stalker, I will marry you because me being a Human/Utrom hybrid makes that OK. Even though nothing short a genetic analysis will show that so I have plenty of options amongst humans, you clearly needing to work out some personal stuff and the fact that you're only really attracted to me because I am one of like the three females you interact with on a regular basis, we should still totally get married because you had a very circumstantial teenage crush on me!"

Yeah... Screw that.
Hahahaha!

Last edited by neatoman; 10-27-2020 at 02:54 PM.
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 02:19 PM   #7
Leo656
The Franchise

You've quite eloquently summed up one of the things I downright hate about that show. Kudos.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 02:23 PM   #8
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Any time someone supports the Nick April/Don relationship, that comment deserves to be bludgeoned with a baseball bat.

Full Negan homerun, is what I'm saying.

Old 10-27-2020, 02:36 PM   #9
Leo656
The Franchise

I mean fundamentally, it was absolutely pointless because there was no way a Nick cartoon was ever gonna develop that particular idea, anyway. Some stories don't fit the medium they're presented in.

If another TMNT iteration wanted to "get weird" and try it, sure, whatever (although it might be easier to swallow if they used another female human besides April), but you knew it wasn't gonna go anywhere in a medium where Soccer Mom Karens have final say on what their kids look at. Thus, it felt like filler nonsense in place of character development and plot, and the fact that it got SO much real estate was ridiculous.

I think the Turtles wanting to bang April has been hinted at or joked about in-universe by the characters themselves so many times in the various universes that it can be called practically canon at this point, BUT if the idea isn't actually going to be used for anything then why even bring it up? They could have used that time and resources on literally anything else.
---------------

Also "Walking Dead" is for little kids. You should read "Crossed", I dare ya.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 02:43 PM   #10
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
If another TMNT iteration wanted to "get weird" and try it, sure, whatever (although it might be easier to swallow if they used another female human besides April),

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Also "Walking Dead" is for little kids. You should read "Crossed", I dare ya.
It's on my reading list. Just haven't managed to track any down yet. From how it was described, it sounds like a very similar promise to a pair of novels I've written... so I'm definitely interested!
Old 10-27-2020, 02:47 PM   #11
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

It really could have gotten a movie (and really it still could with success), but I suppose it was late to the game, with Rise being the present thing by the time some Netflix deal was being made.

April/Donnie, no thanks... While I'm not opposed to any future adult Turtle hitting it off with an open minded human woman who loves and accepts him for all that he is, the 2012 thing is too forced with Donnie being into the very first girl he meets and she's expected to, what, just eventually give in and like him back..?

Had he not been making eyes at her from the start and she, say, turned out to be some high school science wiz with a lot in common and they end up clicking over that, it might have been a different story. But this April and Donnie had very little in common at all. If you're going to push the envelope on this stuff, you really need to build up something that people actually end up rooting for.

But magically having a kid together, when that would never work, will always bug me.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 05:26 PM   #12
NinjaPug
Foot Elite

Timing.

Rise was in production when Netflix and Paramount/Nickelodeon made their partnership deal.
NinjaPug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 06:05 PM   #13
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
What will the movie be about anyway? Splinter's dead, Shredder is dead. They also had the Same As It Never Was 2012 style in Season 5.

https://i.imgur.com/JIAq3UA.jpg
Also the 2012 Raph and Mona Lisa have a daughter name Irrilia

Old 10-27-2020, 06:08 PM   #14
Zog The Magnificent
Stone Warrior

Which sucks, because I would have loved for 2012 to have gotten a movie, just to give it a real ending. The Apocalypse trilogy is great as an elseworlds tale, but absolutely sucks as the ending it was intended as, rendering the whole show pointless. Likewise, the Bebop and Rocksteady trilogy was a somewhat good set of episodes with a lot of good moments, but clearly wasn't written to be an ending. Characters disappear between parts, it's similar in structure to Turtles Forever, and it focuses primarily on Bebop and Rocksteady instead of the turtles. If I had my pick, I'd love for them to do a movie that continues on from the Apocalypse trilogy, with Renet and the Fugitoid showing up some time after the ending, bringing the future turtles back to the present right before the bomb went off, and having them all team up together to stop it. Sadly, something like this will never happen, what with Rise getting the movie. I don't hate Rise like many I've seen here, but I understand why people do and it's definitely my least favorite of the cartoons, and it sucks that a Netflix original movie is getting wasted on Rise.
Zog The Magnificent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 06:14 PM   #15
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zog The Magnificent View Post
Which sucks, because I would have loved for 2012 to have gotten a movie, just to give it a real ending. The Apocalypse trilogy is great as an elseworlds tale, but absolutely sucks as the ending it was intended as, rendering the whole show pointless. Likewise, the Bebop and Rocksteady trilogy was a somewhat good set of episodes with a lot of good moments, but clearly wasn't written to be an ending. Characters disappear between parts, it's similar in structure to Turtles Forever, and it focuses primarily on Bebop and Rocksteady instead of the turtles. If I had my pick, I'd love for them to do a movie that continues on from the Apocalypse trilogy, with Renet and the Fugitoid showing up some time after the ending, bringing the future turtles back to the present right before the bomb went off, and having them all team up together to stop it. Sadly, something like this will never happen, what with Rise getting the movie. I don't hate Rise like many I've seen here, but I understand why people do and it's definitely my least favorite of the cartoons, and it sucks that a Netflix original movie is getting wasted on Rise.
What sucked was Nickelodeon was shuffling around some of the 2012 episodes to Nicktoons and others to regular Nickelodeon.
Old 10-27-2020, 07:03 PM   #16
sdp
-

Nick was ready to move on and thought Rise would be a hit with kids, had they seen TMNT dying for the next few years we likely would've gotten a movie even if it wouldn't have been a huge hit it, it wouldn't have been a huge expense.
More than a movie I would've liked one more season to tell random stories
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 07:08 PM   #17
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
What will the movie be about anyway? Splinter's dead, Shredder is dead.
If you think that the TMNT must always revolve somehow around Shredder and Splinter, you're a big part of what's wrong with the fandom since about forever.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 11:35 AM   #18
Luckyday
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
If you think that the TMNT must always revolve somehow around Shredder and Splinter, you're a big part of what's wrong with the fandom since about forever.
It kind has to if they're going to keep rebooting it but they want don't alienated old tmnt fans.

Just look what happen to Rise Tmnt as a prime example.
We’re not unicorns!
WE’RE WOMEN AND WE TAKE WHAT WE WANT!
-Wendy Corduroy, Gravity Falls

Last edited by Luckyday; 10-28-2020 at 11:42 AM.
Luckyday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 03:00 PM   #19
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Rise just happened to itself in general.

I'm fine with new villains, it doesn't always have to be Shredder, but the only issue is making good ones, because plenty aren't so great. Draxum had potential, imo, it's just unfortunate that they dropped the ball and made him an ally in favor of bringing in a Shredder that got few episodes and the series could have done without. Felt like a waste.

Imo, if a series is going to skip Shredder, then it also needs to skip ahead in time. And keep the origin to a flashback only that properly stays true to the franchise, don't go trying to remake the origin as something else far too different.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 03:16 PM   #20
sdp
-

Rise failing means any future incarnation will have Shredder the whole time and all your favorite FW mutants show up for any version going forward
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote