The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Old 03-18-2017, 09:48 AM   #261
TMNT_Guy
Stone Warrior

I was never fond of the Wisps either. They usually just grind the game to a halt because they can only be used in very specific scenarios and areas. Drill Wisp can only be used in dirt and water areas, Rocket can only be used in 2D sections, etc. I didn't mind them in Sonic Colors because I thought they were only a one time thing, but yeah I wouldn't miss them if they never appeared in a Sonic game again.

Luckily it's been revealed that the Wisps only refill your boost meter, so far I don't mind them as long as there is a story reason for them being there.

A lot of people claim the Wisps are like Mario's power ups, except with Mario's power ups you can use them in any level you want(with Super Mario Galaxy and New Super Mario Bros Yoshi being the exceptions.) where as with the Wisps you can only use them in the level you found them in and they are only useful in very specific areas.

Another thing thing about "the Wisps are like Mario's power ups", why not just actually use Sonic's power ups? Like the Fire Shield, Water Shield, Lightning shield and that's just Sonic 3. The 8-bit games had things like the Rocket shoes that let you fly and swim for awhile, Chaotix had those shrinking monitors that could be used to find alternative/hidden paths. They could even come up with new things like an Air Shield that let's Sonic Jump higher. Sonic can and has had power ups with out the Wisps...so I don't see any reason for the Wisps to still be here other then because Sonic Colors was popular.

Still looking forward to this game. I really like how the homing attack looks in this game and I'm glad that the game is looking more adventurous then anything we've had in the last six years. A lot of people have liked the direction the series has been on, but I personally didn't care for the Teen Titans Go-esque writing.
Old 03-18-2017, 10:21 AM   #262
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMNT_Guy View Post
I was never fond of the Wisps either. They usually just grind the game to a halt because they can only be used in very specific scenarios and areas. Drill Wisp can only be used in dirt and water areas, Rocket can only be used in 2D sections, etc. I didn't mind them in Sonic Colors because I thought they were only a one time thing, but yeah I wouldn't miss them if they never appeared in a Sonic game again.
Drill was also used in underwater sections as well.

Quote:
A lot of people claim the Wisps are like Mario's power ups, except with Mario's power ups you can use them in any level you want(with Super Mario Galaxy and New Super Mario Bros Yoshi being the exceptions.) where as with the Wisps you can only use them in the level you found them in and they are only useful in very specific areas.
Certain Wisps can be used in other areas. The thing is you'd have to backtrack to a previous world to use them which admittedly can either be fun or pointless depending on your goal.

Quote:
Another thing thing about "the Wisps are like Mario's power ups", why not just actually use Sonic's power ups? Like the Fire Shield, Water Shield, Lightning shield and that's just Sonic 3. The 8-bit games had things like the Rocket shoes that let you fly and swim for awhile, Chaotix had those shrinking monitors that could be used to find alternative/hidden paths. They could even come up with new things like an Air Shield that let's Sonic Jump higher. Sonic can and has had power ups with out the Wisps...so I don't see any reason for the Wisps to still be here other then because Sonic Colors was popular.
I know in Generations, you had to purchase some of those power-ups which didn't make much sense but given Generations' level design and lack of threats, they served no use.

The Wisps in Lost World were implemented poorly because of the spherical structure of the stage.

Lazer: Not bad, just totally unnecessary.
Flight: There's absolutely nothing to interact with while flying.
Asteroid: Horrid tilt controls, used like twice total.
Bomb: Can't seem to actually hit anything with an explosion.
Rhythm: There is no rhythm to it, it's just tapping on the screen to progress and slows down the pacing.
Hover: The one level that hover is in is more fun if you don't use it because it involves some of the only challenging wall-running.
Rocket: Horrid aiming, could have been replaced with the usual level-transition springs.
There's nothing wrong with drill other than the fact it's used like twice total.

Quote:
Still looking forward to this game. I really like how the homing attack looks in this game and I'm glad that the game is looking more adventurous then anything we've had in the last six years. A lot of people have liked the direction the series has been on, but I personally didn't care for the Teen Titans Go-esque writing.
Come now, dude. I fail to see the comparisons with that series whatsoever. I feel that Sonic works better with a sharp sense of humor that doesn't rely on toilet or gross comedy than a dark and serious nature. I can understand if you would like for stakes to happen but it's off-putting to expect something like say, Jak 2 or 3 levels of tone.

I'm honestly happy that they are going back to the boost formula as that is something that has worked well for the series since Unleashed. Lost World was fine but that gameplay style was just not the direction the series needed nor would I be happy with. If they can only have less stiffed control when it comes to platforming then I'll be completely satisfied.
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 11:51 AM   #263
TMNT_Guy
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeotheLateBloomer View Post
Drill was also used in underwater
Quote:
Drill Wisp can only be used in dirt and water areas.
Quote:
Certain Wisps can be used in other areas. The thing is you'd have to backtrack to a previous world to use them which admittedly can either be fun or pointless depending on your goal.
Huh. I didn't know you could carry Wisps to the end of a level and use them in a different level. Interesting.
Quote:
I can understand if you would like for stakes to happen but it's off-putting to expect something like say, Jak 2 or 3 levels of tone.
I'm not sure how you took wanting a more "adventurous" story with wanting to see a main character tortured for several years. I just want the characters to care about whats going on. The "LOL we beat Baldy Mcnosehair again! It's like it's our job or something!" humor just feels too juvenile to me.

Somthing like the Sonic OVA, Storybook games or Sonic Unleashed is how I'd like to see the tone. Everyone takes the threat seriously, but that don't mean Sonic can't make a Spider-Man quip or anything even remotely humorous.

Action, Aventure, but keep it family friendly. That's all I want. I'm not asking for government conspiracies or ancient Gods of destruction, but I am asking for something engaging.
Old 03-18-2017, 12:29 PM   #264
sdp
Megan Fox = April

I hope we get more ports of older Sonic games on Steam/PC. There are still many games we need to get. Right now PC is the best way to get the most Sonic games on "one" platform.

Mania looks good, but I'll wait for it to be on sale. Sonic Forces well it looks like a new generic 3D sonic. Nothing necessarily bad about it but nothing necessarily great either.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 02:33 PM   #265
The Deadman
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
I hope we get more ports of older Sonic games on Steam/PC. There are still many games we need to get. Right now PC is the best way to get the most Sonic games on "one" platform.

Mania looks good, but I'll wait for it to be on sale. Sonic Forces well it looks like a new generic 3D sonic. Nothing necessarily bad about it but nothing necessarily great either.
Nearly all the older Sonic games are on Steam

http://store.steampowered.com/search...&category1=998

The only ones missing are Secret Rings, Black Knight, Colors and '06.

Last Movie Watched: Hell House LLC (2015).
Last TV Show Watched: Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog (S1:E29).
The Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 12:05 AM   #266
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Quote:
Huh. I didn't know you could carry Wisps to the end of a level and use them in a different level. Interesting.
What I'm saying is that once you beat the stage where you first encounter a new type of wisp, that specific wisp can be found in a previous world.

Quote:
I'm not sure how you took wanting a more "adventurous" story with wanting to see a main character tortured for several years. I just want the characters to care about whats going on. The "LOL we beat Baldy Mcnosehair again! It's like it's our job or something!" humor just feels too juvenile to me.
Define "adventurous". Sonic does care about the situation and what's at stake. But to him, it's always been an adventure or a joyride for him. He's known for not taking something too serious but that doesn't mean he's not caring about what's going on. "Baldy McNosehair is just a funny jab at Eggman just like how he called him "Eggman" while he was still under the name Robotnik in Sonic Adventure (and before you say that he was always known as Eggman in Japan, I know that). Based on some of your previous posts, it's like you want this series to be something akin to Satam or something alike.

Quote:
Somthing like the Sonic OVA, Storybook games or Sonic Unleashed is how I'd like to see the tone. Everyone takes the threat seriously, but that don't mean Sonic can't make a Spider-Man quip or anything even remotely humorous.

Action, Aventure, but keep it family friendly. That's all I want. I'm not asking for government conspiracies or ancient Gods of destruction, but I am asking for something engaging.
So you want there to be stakes, am I right? And there's a big difference between Sonic and Spider-Man as characters and tone.
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 03:26 AM   #267
TMNT_Guy
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Define "adventurous".
I don’t know how I could make myself any clearer. I even included links to Youtube videos as examples to the kind of tone I’d like to see in a modern Sonic game.

Quote:
So you want there to be stakes, am I right? And there's a big difference between Sonic and Spider-Man as characters and tone.
Of course. I just referenced Spider-Man because he’s famous for his “funny” witty banter with his enemies. Try not to be so literal minded.
Old 03-19-2017, 09:54 AM   #268
Anarchistguy
Mad Scientist

Location: Canada (This country is too peaceful, Something's up...)

"When my time comes, I wanna be buried face down, so those who don't like me can kiss my ass!"
Anarchistguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 06:03 PM   #269
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarchistguy View Post
IT'S SO BEAUTIFUL!!!

TurtleTitan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 08:34 PM   #270
Prowler
Emperor

Been playing the "3D ports" of Sonic and 2 on the 3DS lately. I like the small retouches they did to the games, including saving your progress whenever you want to.

Tbh, I dunno if it's their age but the classic Sonic games really have some obvious flaws. OK so let's take a super fast character and force players to walk slowly and time their jumps carefully in about half of the game? That would have been better if the jump controls in Sonic were as tight as in Mario. I know Mario was an expert on jumping while Sonic was on running but Mario's run controls were never frustrating. And it's not like Mario games have large sections or levels where it's strongly advised for you to press the jump button. So yeah, for a character whose selling point is his lightning fast speed, Sonic games sure punish you a lot for going fast. You always end up running into a pit and die or into an enemy and thus losing all your rings in the process. A lot of times enemies are just placed in a place where it's super hard to avoid them and you'd need lots of trial and error to pass certain stages flawlessly and hopefully get an emerald.

Speaking of emeralds, I really love the special stages in Sonic 1 but the ones in Sonic 2 bleh. They feel like a chore. Tbh, Sonic 3's special stages also can be a bit annoying, but I still prefer them to 2's. I give them props for changing the special stages in every Sonic game, but Sonic 1 had the best ones by far and it's much more fun to get an emerald in Sonic 1 than in Sonic 3 and especially Sonic 2, imo.

Don't get me wrong, I still like the older Sonic games, despite their flaws. Hard to believe it once gave Mario a run for his money.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 08:37 PM   #271
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Play Sonic 3 & Knuckles. It's the best Sonic game, even better than Sonic 1 & 2 imo.

Sonic Adventure is a close second but I hate Big the Cat's levels and the Mystic Ruin jungle.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 08:45 PM   #272
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_Blade View Post
Play Sonic 3 & Knuckles. It's the best Sonic game, even better than Sonic 1 & 2 imo.

Sonic Adventure is a close second but I hate Big the Cat's levels and the Mystic Ruin jungle.
I own the Sonic Mega Collection for the GC. The thing is, it lists both Sonic 3 and S&K as separate games. Sonic 3 is alright except for that accursed garden Zone(3rd level) it just drags on and on and on. But it had neat powerups. As for S&K; I've never gotten very far in that game but I guess playing as a new character was fun.

I've never gotten the chance to play the Adventure games. As for other Sonic games, Sonic 3D was very lousy and I've never bothered with 21st century Sonic games since they just kept getting reviews and scores ranging from average to total crap. But is there a chance I might have overlooked a good Sonic game or two in the last decade?

I'd say the best of the Sonic games I've played was 2, although it has a few not os great levels such as Oil Zone and that aquatic ruins zone.

I think the biggest issue was that Sega released WAY too many Sonic games in the early 90s. Compare it to the SNES, there's only Super Mario World and SMW 2... and the sequel is pretty damn different. Meanwhile, Sonic 1, 2, 3, Knuckles all have the same graphics and their differences are more subtle. People must have gotten burnout of Sonic by 1994-1995.
Old 03-19-2017, 08:47 PM   #273
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_Blade View Post
Sonic 2 is best to me out of these. The ending IMO had a better payoff.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 08:52 PM   #274
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjup81 View Post
Sonic 2 is best to me out of these. The ending IMO had a better payoff.
In the first Sonic game you don't really get a very exciting payoff for getting all the emeralds. And Robotnik juggling the ones you didn't get at the end over a "try again" message doesn't make me really feel bad either.

As for Sonic 2, I've never managed to get all the emeralds in it, but I guess Sonic going super saiyan mode was kinda cool back then?
Old 03-19-2017, 08:55 PM   #275
DestronMirage22
Yukipedia

I think the Japanese version of Sonic CD is waaay better than the USA release. The music is much better.
DestronMirage22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 08:56 PM   #276
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DestronMirage22 View Post
I think the Japanese version of Sonic CD is waaay better than the USA release. The music is much better.
Never played Sonic CD. Are there any other differences asides form the music? And I like the cheesy "Sonic Boom! Sonic Boooooooom!" title track tbh
Old 03-19-2017, 09:03 PM   #277
DestronMirage22
Yukipedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Never played Sonic CD. Are there any other differences asides form the music? And I like the cheesy "Sonic Boom! Sonic Boooooooom!" title track tbh
Aside from music, there's a few cut scene differences, but I think that's it. The music makes a world of difference though.
DestronMirage22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 09:05 PM   #278
Prowler
Emperor

I've always wondered why Sonic fell a bit off the radar after the mid-late 90s. OK I know Sega stopped making consoles after DC, but it's like every Sonci game that came out after the Adventure series was either panned by critics or considered by most to be average at best. It cant' possibly be that hard to make a decent 3D sonic game, can it?
Old 03-19-2017, 09:07 PM   #279
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
In the first Sonic game you don't really get a very exciting payoff for getting all the emeralds. And Robotnik juggling the ones you didn't get at the end over a "try again" message doesn't make me really feel bad either.

As for Sonic 2, I've never managed to get all the emeralds in it, but I guess Sonic going super saiyan mode was kinda cool back then?
I've never been able to collect all the emeralds...but I meant this in a general sense. The cutscene before with everyone watching and Sonic escaping the exploding Deathegg and Tails getting the plane to either catch him (no emeralds) or greet him (emeralds) with the music in the background was epic to me. It also felt like more was accomplished since you had to fight two bosses with no rings, even if you had the emeralds.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 11:28 AM   #280
Anarchistguy
Mad Scientist

Location: Canada (This country is too peaceful, Something's up...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DestronMirage22 View Post
The music in the Japanese release also makes more sense since the Present and Future tracks actually fit better with the Past tracks

"When my time comes, I wanna be buried face down, so those who don't like me can kiss my ass!"
Anarchistguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paperbrookneedsfreshair, sega, sonic