The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 02-20-2018, 04:12 PM   #1
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Official Image TMNT conclusion at IDW is HAPPENING -- "TMNT: Urban Legends"

It's happening. It's all colored, retitled "Urban Legends" and gets 3 brand new issues to conclude.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/the-long-unf...ing-1823171674
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 04:18 PM   #2
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
It's happening. It's all colored, retitled "Urban Legends" and gets 3 brand new issues to conclude.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/the-long-unf...ing-1823171674
Cool, I guess IDW wanted a proper ending to put in the trades.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 04:30 PM   #3
Powder
So tired of this place

That's pretty awesome. Hope it doesn't make it too hard to consider canon to Mirage, as some of us like to do.

As this is my favorite run of the comics, the prospect of more from the original team is pretty exciting. All the same, I feel like we had sufficient closure with the unofficial issues, so I'm not as hyped now as I would've been had those never come to fruition, admittedly.

If this comes in the form of one complete trade, I will definitely buy it.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 04:31 PM   #4
AquaParade
Banned

Wow! This is so damn cool!

I really hope this will be released in hardcover as well!
Ecstatic.

I also wonder if this is Nickelodeon opening up the gates a bit on "adult-tmnt".

Edit: Apparently not. This has been in the works for a while. Perhaps high sales of this series can help enforce the message though!

Edit 2: Is it just me or is there a lot happening with TMNT lately? The DLC for Injustice 2 releases, new show premiered, now this announcement. I wonder if it's building up to a film announcement.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 04:31 PM   #5
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
I also wonder if this is Nickelodeon opening up the gates a bit on "adult-tmnt".
That's the most important take away from this, I think.
Old 02-20-2018, 04:39 PM   #6
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
That's the most important take away from this, I think.
Though there's the fact that apparently they were asked to do this a few years ago. Before the 30th anniversary issue, unless I'm confused.
It could still be a sign, but we haven't seen anything else since then that points to this conclusion. As far as I can remember.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 04:40 PM   #7
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
Though there's the fact that apparently they were asked to do this a few years ago.
By who? Nick? Never happened. I mean, Gary and Frank were told kind of, "Be ready... this may be a thing!" by IDW years and years ago and I think Frank even did a cover for it he shared on his FB a little while ago when things were looking particularly grim. It's only ever been a strong interest in doing it from IDW, a push from Kevin, and a "No" from Nick. That it's a "Yes" now is very interesting.
Old 02-20-2018, 04:44 PM   #8
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

So...are we just going to end up with a more brushed up version of what Andrew put together or will it be totally different?
Old 02-20-2018, 04:49 PM   #9
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utrommaniac View Post
So...are we just going to end up with a more brushed up version of what Andrew put together or will it be totally different?
No real connection to the version we did.
Old 02-20-2018, 05:05 PM   #10
darthsmozers
Mad Scientist

I now have renewed hope, maybe misplaced or maybe not, for a return to the Archie series for Forever War / some other concluding storyline with Chris Allan on pencils. Please, dear IDW! and, yes, awesome news for you Image fans.
darthsmozers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 05:39 PM   #11
CyberCubed
Overlord

Jesus, I'm on the internet literally all day long. The one hour I take a break online to play some videogames is when this is announced. Amazing how everything you want to see always gets announced when you're offline.

As everyone else has said, this is amazing, especially for those of us who followed Image when it came out.

Big question: Do the Image writers know how Volume 4 starts? I think it would be rather important for them to read at least the first couple of Vol. 4 issues so they know where Mirage picked up from. At the very least the Turtles need to be all fully healed.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 05:44 PM   #12
Ninjinister
無問題

I think it's great that they name-check ya, A.
Old 02-20-2018, 05:45 PM   #13
oldmanwinters
Overlord

So... are the Color Classic versions gonna make April black or white?

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 06:10 PM   #14
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthsmozers View Post
I now have renewed hope, maybe misplaced or maybe not, for a return to the Archie series for Forever War / some other concluding storyline with Chris Allan on pencils. Please, dear IDW! and, yes, awesome news for you Image fans.
I think the Archie stuff and Forever War is a very different situation, one probably dependant on sales for the existing Archie reprints. If there's not even demand for the existing stuff, it's probably hard to justify new stuff of it. Are the Archie trades still coming out?

Though if "Urban Legends" is successful, completing long lost stories like that may be a go to.

Or hell... if it's really successful, I'm not even sure we can rule out even more Carlson and Fosco stuff in that universe. Why would they, if there's a demand (unless this was like a one off exception thing from Nick)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Big question: Do the Image writers know how Volume 4 starts? I think it would be rather important for them to read at least the first couple of Vol. 4 issues so they know where Mirage picked up from. At the very least the Turtles need to be all fully healed.
I don't believe Frank or Gary have ever read any of volume 4, no. Though they don't really need to... the core "problems" separating vol. 3 from 4 will be addressed. Little stuff like Leatherhead might not be. Repositioning Karai, I'm not so sure.
Old 02-20-2018, 05:56 PM   #15
wilddiverse
Stone Warrior

It's great if this allows more people to see rare material, but my interest drops away precipitously due to the ugly color palette that's been featured on IDW's colorized TMNT issue re-releases thus far. I'll just buy #24-26 in 2020...
wilddiverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 06:01 PM   #16
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilddiverse View Post
It's great if this allows more people to see rare material, but my interest drops away precipitously due to the ugly color palette that's been featured on IDW's colorized TMNT issue re-releases thus far. I'll just buy #24-26 in 2020...
Oooo, boy, yeah. I was really tempted to pick up a used copy of the IDW deluxe hardcover of the first movie adaptation last week (great to see the Eastman layouts), but that tooty-fruity Shredder outfit just killed it for me. I might have to wait for the next store-wide sale.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 07:45 PM   #17
Stugehen
Foot Soldier

I will buy the **** out of this! Awesome news.
Stugehen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 07:50 PM   #18
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I think this means even less to a Vol. 4 conclusion than it does to seeing "The Forever War." Bobby has said they won't touch it without his involvement and he hasn't shown any interest in years.

Now, would this news about "Urban Legends" motivate Peter to do more vol. 4, make him even less interested in doing more vol. 4, or not even be on his radar? I have no idea.

Not a super fan of the name "Urban Legends," for the record. Maybe it's harmless but it could be construed as "these are just tales, not canonical."
Old 02-20-2018, 07:55 PM   #19
CyberCubed
Overlord

Urban Legends is a name I'm fine with, aside from simply calling it "Volume 3," it's a name where fans can decide if they want it to be canon with the rest of Mirage or not. It bridges the gap fine, and assuming the last 3 issues don't do anything too crazy or contradictory with the start of Vol. 4, then it'll be ok.

Now if the finale shows us Leonardo stab Karai in the heart and die, then I guess these can't be canon.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 08:02 PM   #20
Powder
So tired of this place

Yeah I'd really hate it if they cemented this as an elseworlds thing when it was never intended to be that.

If it were going to continue indefinitely as its own thing, maybe... but otherwise, I like that you can choose whether or not it can be worked into Mirage.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cferreira, cyborg donatello, image, image tmnt, shredder raphael, urban legends