The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 09-07-2017, 06:18 PM   #61
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I also really like the majority of Season 6, as there seemed to be more of a shift to action again before going all the way in Season 7. Season 5 has some gems too, ignoring the weaker episodes. "The Ice Creature Cometh" is also an ep I like.
Season 5 has Planet of the Turtleoids and I consider that one a classic.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 06:28 PM   #62
ABrown
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
Anyone else here a huge fan of the Red Sky seasons?
Red sky era fan here. Unfortunately, there aren't a lot of us.
ABrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 07:23 PM   #63
MrPliggins
Foot Elite

This show really caught me as a kid from the first episode I watched at 6am one Saturday morning in 1988. I became determined to get every episode on tape, and became frustrated when certain episodes would air all the time, while others would seem to NEVER air. When USA Network started airing them, they edited each episode. More frustration. Today, for 50 or 60 bucks you can just buy the entire series, uncut. Times sure have changed, haha.

I don't have much desire these days to watch the series. I gave my tapes away long ago, and I don't own the DVD collection of the series. Times really have changed. But I do still appreciate the series and hey, I'm still a tmnt fan, so that's what counts.
MrPliggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 08:47 AM   #64
Wesley
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
Anyone else here a huge fan of the Red Sky seasons?
I'm not a big fan nowadays, but I still like seasons 8 and 10. Don't care much for 9, but it has a few good episodes such as Split-Second. Loved the seasons as a teenager, though, as I thought the show was growing up with me back then with its darker and edgier tone. I actually preferred red sky over the earlier goofier eps at that time, but nowadays, I like both evenly.

Quote:
I also really like the majority of Season 6, as there seemed to be more of a shift to action again before going all the way in Season 7. Season 5 has some gems too, ignoring the weaker episodes. "The Ice Creature Cometh" is also an ep I like.
Agreed. There are a lot of great eps scattered throughout the series. Season 4 had some good ones as well such as "Shredder's Mom."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
Moving Technodrome episodes are great.
Agreed. They're some of the episodes I remembered most as a kid, as I always thought it was exciting to see the Technodrome moving even if it was only for a short time.
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 11:50 AM   #65
CyberCubed
Overlord

They usually saved the Technodrome moving episodes for either the finale's or the very beginning of a season, so they did feel like big events given they only happened once a season usually.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 12:06 PM   #66
Vegita-San
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley View Post

Agreed. They're some of the episodes I remembered most as a kid, as I always thought it was exciting to see the Technodrome moving even if it was only for a short time.
yep, as sad as it was, these where considered big show moments for me. and as such i usually rooted for the villains to win ;o).
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 11:34 AM   #67
Tetsu Deinonychus
The Iron Dinosaur

Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post
I've read David say a lot of crap on Facebook but with TMNT I cut him some slack because he was treated pretty badly for nine years by the studios and never got much recognition for what he achieved in those years. Writers back then didn't receive the same celebrity status they do now and I guess he quite rightly felt cheated more because he grew to like the show he worked on.
Leo as the leader, Raph as the "jerk", Mike as the playful one, and Don as the tech-wiz were still established in the Mirage issues that Wise had to work with. It's one thing to want his credit as the main writer for a particularly popular version of TMNT, but to try to usurp the actual TMNT creators, or take credit for TMNT as a whole is quite another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
yet if it was not for this series, tmnt would be dead past issue 15 tops.
I don't believe that at all. Again, FW TMNT only exists in the first place because the Mirage comic was a surprise hit and that got Playmates and MWS attention. If the Mirage comic was a flop they wouldn't have made a cartoon out of it. (Not saying the cartoon didn't amplify that success to an insane degree, just saying the comic was successful to begin with)

If I'm not mistaken though, what made the original Mirage fans abandon the book was the "guest era". Some good stories came from that era (Soul's Winter rules), but so did just as many bad ones and it all went on for way too long. I realize Eastman and Laird were too busy on the licensing end to write and draw issues, but there was probably a better way to handle that (like letting Lawson/Berger/Murphy/etc. handle the main comic and saving the guest stories for a separate anthology book or something).

Back on topic: Whatever you think of the show itself, FW TMNT did have some sweet background music.
Tetsu Deinonychus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 12:08 PM   #68
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetsu Deinonychus View Post
Back on topic: Whatever you think of the show itself, FW TMNT did have some sweet background music.
The iconic locations all having different background music contributes to the great dynamic.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 01:38 PM   #69
ToTheNines
[sic]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetsu Deinonychus View Post
Leo as the leader, Raph as the "jerk", Mike as the playful one, and Don as the tech-wiz were still established in the Mirage issues that Wise had to work with. It's one thing to want his credit as the main writer for a particularly popular version of TMNT, but to try to usurp the actual TMNT creators, or take credit for TMNT as a whole is quite another.
I've had this same argument with him in the past, it gets you no where. The from 1984 to mid-87, the turtles had plenty of characterizing moments in Mirage between the main series, the micros and all the shorts/backups. But I guess in cferreira's demented little peanut brain, David Wise began scripting the pilot season in early 85

Quote:

I don't believe that at all. Again, FW TMNT only exists in the first place because the Mirage comic was a surprise hit and that got Playmates and MWS attention. If the Mirage comic was a flop they wouldn't have made a cartoon out of it. (Not saying the cartoon didn't amplify that success to an insane degree, just saying the comic was successful to begin with)
Agreed. Look at stuff like Usagi Yojimbo, Savage Dragon, Cerebus, Bone, etc. They all had very long comic runs, with little to no success in the world of film/animation, and no affiliation with the big two.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 02:47 PM   #70
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
I've had this same argument with him in the past, it gets you no where. The from 1984 to mid-87, the turtles had plenty of characterizing moments in Mirage between the main series, the micros and all the shorts/backups. But I guess in cferreira's demented little peanut brain, David Wise began scripting the pilot season in early 85

Agreed. Look at stuff like Usagi Yojimbo, Savage Dragon, Cerebus, Bone, etc. They all had very long comic runs, with little to no success in the world of film/animation, and no affiliation with the big two.
Didn't Stan Sakai say no to other versions of Usagi Yojimbo?
Old 09-09-2017, 03:09 PM   #71
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Didn't Stan Sakai say no to other versions of Usagi Yojimbo?
He said no to a Space Usagi cartoon, appearently he didn't get along with Playmates and the project fell through. The pilot was made though.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 04:37 PM   #72
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
I've had this same argument with him in the past, it gets you no where. The from 1984 to mid-87, the turtles had plenty of characterizing moments in Mirage between the main series, the micros and all the shorts/backups..
And the Pen & Paper Tabletop game TMNT & Other Strangeness from Palladium is a testament to that, and is the first adaptation (afaik) of TMNT predating the FW show.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 01:01 PM   #73
Wesley
Mad Scientist

Quote:
The iconic locations all having different background music contributes to the great dynamic.
This cartoon had one of the best soundtracks in any show, up there with Gargoyles and the DCAU.

It was also exciting to see the Turtles enter the Technodrome, as it was usually the highlight of that episode (Muckman Messes Up, Super Irma, etc).

I liked the Turtle-centric eps as well (Take Me to your Leader, Raphael Meets his Match, Michaelango's Birthday, etc), as they gave each turtle more focus.

I liked Big Louie, Mona Lisa and Shreeka, even though the latter two only appeared in one ep each. Big Louie was my favourite of all the gangsters the Turtles faced, as he sounded more menacing than the others. Mona Lisa was a strong and likable female character. Shreeka had an interesting backstory.

I also liked that the Rat King was somewhat morally ambigious in this cartoon, as it made him a more interesting character than his other incarnations. Liked the dynamic he had with Leatherhead as well.
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 08:34 PM   #74
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

I know that Cam Clarke really wanted to play Michelangelo and while everyone was recording he was kind of bothered that he wasn't getting to be funny while voicing Leonardo. At first, the producers couldn't decide who should play Leonardo or Michelangelo. Townsend Coleman said that he got the luck of the draw when they wanted him to read Michelangelo first. The plan was to have him and Cam switch, but that didn't happen. They really did make the right call because when I've Townsend try to say Leonardo's lines like in the Season 5 DVD extra, he doesn't sound like a youthful leader. Cam made Leonardo really sound like a teenage leader.

This kind of reminds me of when Frank Welker and Casey Kasem auditioned for Scooby-Doo. Welker wanted to play Shaggy because he sounded a lot like him and was always being cast as straight-guy. Kasem actually wanted to try for Fred, but they thought he was better suited for Shaggy. That was obviously a good call there too.
ranger_scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 12:55 AM   #75
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger_scout View Post
I know that Cam Clarke really wanted to play Michelangelo and while everyone was recording he was kind of bothered that he wasn't getting to be funny while voicing Leonardo. At first, the producers couldn't decide who should play Leonardo or Michelangelo. Townsend Coleman said that he got the luck of the draw when they wanted him to read Michelangelo first. The plan was to have him and Cam switch, but that didn't happen. They really did make the right call because when I've Townsend try to say Leonardo's lines like in the Season 5 DVD extra, he doesn't sound like a youthful leader. Cam made Leonardo really sound like a teenage leader.

This kind of reminds me of when Frank Welker and Casey Kasem auditioned for Scooby-Doo. Welker wanted to play Shaggy because he sounded a lot like him and was always being cast as straight-guy. Kasem actually wanted to try for Fred, but they thought he was better suited for Shaggy. That was obviously a good call there too.
Thats a really interesting story, I knew Cam Clarke and Townsend Coleman originally had auditoned for each others turtles but never knew thats how it all played.

Anyways, I am really, really excited for the Second FW/Nick crossover coming out on DVD tomorrow. Just the thought of listening to the 80s turtles original voices all come back 30 years after they started just blows me away.

What a beautiful send off the series for its 30th anniversary
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 09:10 AM   #76
inaheap
Mad Scientist

Sorry if this is somewhere else. Does anyone know how many of these episodes made it to VHS tape?

We do not stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing

When I became an adult I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.
inaheap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 09:17 AM   #77
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by inaheap View Post
Sorry if this is somewhere else. Does anyone know how many of these episodes made it to VHS tape?
Can't speak for all the international releases (which entailed many Season 2 episodes never put on VHS in America), but the old NinjaTurtles.com website had a pretty comprehensive list of USA tapes:
https://web.archive.org/web/20090225...urtles.com:80/

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 10:25 AM   #78
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by inaheap View Post
A lot of their covers appear here:

http://www.thetechnodrome.com/images/vhs/
Old 09-12-2017, 12:43 PM   #79
CyberCubed
Overlord

Ah yes, the days of paying $25 for 2 episodes on VHS tape. Thank god my parents bought me those tapes when I was a kid.

VHS tapes were the biggest rip-offs in history especially for TV series. 70% of the show never got a release and all the eps were also out of order.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 12:55 PM   #80
Overlord

Quote:
Ah yes, the days of paying $25 for 2 episodes on VHS tape. Thank god my parents bought me those tapes when I was a kid.

VHS tapes were the biggest rip-offs in history especially for TV series. 70% of the show never got a release and all the eps were also out of order.
Very few TV series had all episodes released to videotape (maybe except some miniseries with just one or two short seasons). DVD changed that.