The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Books, Comics, and Other Literature

Notices

Old 07-30-2018, 06:00 PM   #41
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2K3 View Post
My Top 10 underrated Bat-Rogues (in no order):

1 - Black Mask
He was introduced with a connection to Bruce Wayne and had similarities to Hush before Dr. Elliott was introduced. It was his own creator who had to dust him him off 9 years after his first use (only a villain gathering had Black Mask appeared in aside from that) that got him proper attention. However, Black Mask joined the mainstays with War Games and got a taste of being notorious atop the the underworld for a few years. Catwoman offing him in her only kill is something that Roman Sionias never quite recovered from. Dr. Arkham took his place briefly, but Black Mask while notable now is not where he should be.

Quote:
QUOTE]2 - Hugo Strange
Underappreciated perhaps, but not underrated.

Quote:
3 - Professor Pyg
I hate this disgusting character and would rather he just be a villain that appeared for a certain period and disappered.

Quote:
4 - Rupert Thorne
The most underrated. Such quick build and inspiration in Batman (1989) and Batman:TAS only to get two major arcs. He was dusted off in 2006 so Dr. Phosphrous could go after him again? This guy can be an untouchable puppet master if DC Comics would let him. I guess a smart writer will have to see what we see first and who knows if that will happen. Kite-Man got his day so why not?

Quote:
5 - Anarky
I never understood the purpose of this character. Bad guy? Antihero? Never really used.

Quote:
6 - Blockbuster
Major reoccurring not that bad of a guy,misunderstood brute. Killed off to show Suicide Squad really was what it implies. Brother ironically suffers a similar fate after manipulating Mark, but there is that Tarantula controversy. Less said about that the better. Mark came back in the New 52 though, right? Minor as could be and nothing really done with him. No heroclix of him even despite the 1965-1987 run in the rogues gallery.

Quote:
7 - Firefly
Switched Garfield Lynns for Ted Carson for what? Firefly had made it to the big leagues as Lynns. Never understood, the low ranking yet reoccuring threat being done away with.

Quote:
8 - Great White Shark
I would like to see the underworld of Gotham get more focus in general. More could be done with him, but I prefer Black Mask.

Quote:
9 - James Gordon Jr.
I prefer the precursor, government agent Tony Gordon. Like Professor Pyg he is too gross for me to appreciate.

Quote:
10 - Simon Hurt
He is what I was hoping Professor Pyg would become, a villain who only is major for a stretch of a few years or used by the writer who created the character only. What Dr. Simon Hurt needs beyond the surprise Rebirth Nightwing arc is to find a reason to return. The Court of Owls after him seem to have found a prolonged purpose, but as the demon worshiping Wayne ancestor he needs to be retooled
Old 09-05-2018, 09:46 AM   #42
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

I never even considered Condiment King a joke villain since he was one of three comdians under Joker's mind control in a single episode of Batman:TAS. Is Pack Rat and Mad Mod actual villains too? Well, Batman vol. 3 #54 legitimizes Condiment King giving him seven successful robberies and three murders. I am one who loves nobody villians, but this guy is one I never even catgorized as an actual low level villain.
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/09...joke-spoilers/
Old 11-03-2018, 10:32 AM   #43
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Black Mask no longer underrated as he becomes the 13th Batman villain to be adapted into film?
https://www.hotnewhiphop.com/birds-o...ews.63625.html

I was not sure of which thread to plant this on so I dropped it here.
Old 12-12-2018, 10:09 AM   #44
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

https://io9.gizmodo.com/birds-of-pre...1830970745/amp

Black Mask will be villain A and Mr.Zsasz will be villain B. I dont consider the plainclothes cameo in Batman Begins as an appearance so this will make 14 villains of Batman's rogues gallery to appear in a film as an antagonist.
MikeandRaph87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 10:15 AM   #45
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I think Mekros had a lot of potential. He showed up in Batman #501 and #502 and always has left an impression on me.

He's like a self-brainwashed hitman, going around quoting Machiavelli's "The Prince" as he does his murders.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 10:24 AM   #46
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Clock King!

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 08:43 AM   #47
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
Clock King!
William Tockman, the Green Arrow villain who appeared in Batman (1966) two parter and fought Justice League International alongside Cluemaster or Temple Fugate of Batman: TAS?
Old 12-13-2018, 09:32 AM   #48
AquaParade
Banned

The Joker.

I'll see myself out.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 02:39 PM   #49
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
https://io9.gizmodo.com/birds-of-pre...1830970745/amp

Black Mask will be villain A and Mr.Zsasz will be villain B. I dont consider the plainclothes cameo in Batman Begins as an appearance so this will make 14 villains of Batman's rogues gallery to appear in a film as an antagonist.
What sense does that make? He was clearly named as "Victor Zsasz", used a knife, and covered with scars.

No, he wasn't the "Top Hat & Tuxedo Variant" but it would have been silly to expect that then, or now. I mean, after the movie the comic books changed his appearance to make his Batman Begins look "official". If they've since walked it back I'm unaware of it.

I prefer the original look, myself, but saying it "doesn't count" in Begins is silly.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 03:07 PM   #50
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
https://hopeburnsbright.files.wordpr...nned-goods.jpg

I think Mekros had a lot of potential. He showed up in Batman #501 and #502 and always has left an impression on me.

He's like a self-brainwashed hitman, going around quoting Machiavelli's "The Prince" as he does his murders.
Mekros,huh? I have known of about every Bat Rogue from A list to D list, but that one escaped me! I see why too, it took place during Knight Fall and he only appeared in one story-line and never beyond that one off appearance. I only cared for Knights End of the whole long-winded story arc. I do like the quoting The Prince though.
Old 12-14-2018, 08:45 PM   #51
Leo656
The Franchise

I just got done reading "Batman: The Cult" a few days ago. How about Deacon Blackfire? He's pretty obscure, but he sure got a lot done right out of the gate. Did he ever show up again?

I've mentioned this elsewhere, but I'm fairly certain that Nolan borrowed huge chunks of "The Cult" for "The Dark Knight Rises", and simply swapped Blackfire out for Bane.

Old 12-15-2018, 08:04 AM   #52
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
I just got done reading "Batman: The Cult" a few days ago. How about Deacon Blackfire? He's pretty obscure, but he sure got a lot done right out of the gate. Did he ever show up again?

I've mentioned this elsewhere, but I'm fairly certain that Nolan borrowed huge chunks of "The Cult" for "The Dark Knight Rises", and simply swapped Blackfire out for Bane.
He and a couple other low ranking bat rogues were reanimated to fight Dick, Damien, and Tim in Blackest Night: Batman mini.

Similiar to how The Wrath was reworked for The New 52 so was Deacon Blavkfire. His story took place in Batman Eternal which I did not read cover to cover. He returned possessing Maxie Zues, who also should have been dead in a second story, third overall. Comics, go figure!

What villain has the most rewrites? My guess is Dr. Death. There has been perhaps four different Dr. Deaths none replacing the other and all acting like the inirial encounter.
Old 12-15-2018, 10:31 AM   #53
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
He and a couple other low ranking bat rogues were reanimated to fight Dick, Damien, and Tim in Blackest Night: Batman mini.
I should've known that, thanks. Been a long time since I read Blackest Night.

Old 12-26-2018, 10:07 AM   #54
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Did you get a chance to look at the Blackest Night: Batman link I sent you.

I just finished the latest Fuller House episode drop. There was a segment which referring to the San Francisco Chronicle as The Chronicle was believed by a dimwitted high schooler to be a Batman villain. Odd reference and perhaps showcasing Batman villains can come out of anything silly or serious showing the success of Batman.

Last edited by MikeandRaph87; 12-26-2018 at 02:33 PM.
MikeandRaph87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 07:41 AM   #55
Egon1982
Hench Mutant

Clock King has always been one of my fave villains since i saw the 60's show and animated show growing up.
Egon1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 09:58 AM   #56
myconius
Abby Normal

Location: the grave marked "Unknown" right beside Arch Stanton.
Quote:

Another character I enjoy reading in The Spook, a criminally underrated threat that had early success and well done stories between 1973 to 1980. Afterwards he appeared in the first of two villain gathers, Detective Comics#526 (1983). He made Batman think himself to be dead among other darker ploys villains have pulled. Val Kaliban had done enough to be put on death row, but his escape artist mastery allowed him to avoid the sentence. How many of Batman's rogues were a threat enough for death row? There is also the problem of the two times he was dusted off (late 2003) as unable to adapt to life in Gotham of today and used as a sacrificial lamb to the debuting Damian Wayne which he is unceremoniously beheaded by the child after holding up city hall. This character needs further use and respect. A lot of directions can be taken with him becoming a true spook or true to his skill set escape the fate and getting revenge. He did get a cameo in the Scooby Doo team up title alongside a Bamtan '66 villain, False Face since, but that is not nearly what the villain needs.
i really enjoyed those comics featuring The Spook that you recommended to me.

i have to be honest, i did kind of enjoy seeing The Spook beheaded by Damian Wayne. sure it was a slapstick moment, but it showed what a Problem Child Damian truly was. and gave Batman a realization as to just what a danger this child was.

and in comics, no character is ever truly dead.
Old 01-08-2020, 05:03 PM   #57
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by myconius View Post
i really enjoyed those comics featuring The Spook that you recommended to me.

i have to be honest, i did kind of enjoy seeing The Spook beheaded by Damian Wayne. sure it was a slapstick moment, but it showed what a Problem Child Damian truly was. and gave Batman a realization as to just what a danger this child was.

and in comics, no character is ever truly dead.
I am just surprised at how he was an actual threat while not being a big name and then forgotten only to be remembered as a joke. How can someone who was an actual threat be a joke like that? Its not freaking Signal Man or Calendar Man, or Killer Moth who always have been in-story treated as such from day one.

I thought Spook would have returned by now. If everyone else can get well.Why not play up one or the other his escape artistry to get out of the beheading or come back undead and be an actual Sppok? The only thing campy about him is coincidental, the fact his name is Val Kaliban opposed to Val Kilmer, a slight name tweak and there you go.

These are his appearances, but note #291-#294 is as a gathering of villains which he portrays a juror. Which ones did you read?
Detective Comics #434 (April 1973): "The Spook Who Stalked Batman"
Detective Comics #435 (June-July 1973): "The Spook Strikes Again"
Batman #252 (October 1973): "The Spook's Master Stroke"
Batman #276 (June 1976): "The Haunting of the Spook"
Batman #291 (September 1977): "Where Were You On the Night Batman Was Killed?"
Batman #292 (October 1977): "The Testimony of the Riddler"
Batman #293 (November 1977): "The Testimony of Luthor"
Batman #294 (December 1977): "Testimony of the Joker"
Batman #304 (October 1978 ): "To Hell with Batman--and Back"
Detective Comics #488 (February-March 1980): "The Spook's Death Sentence for Batman"
Detective Comics #526 (May 1983): "All My Enemies Against Me"

Then there is "Scared Straight" from Gotham Knights #46 (December 2003) that portrayed him differently and perhaps inspired Batman#657's use of the character. Morrison said he was a favorite forgotten character, why would you kill a favorite to build up one of her own? "Favorite", sure its what I would have done to Professor Pyg.
Old 01-08-2020, 05:07 PM   #58
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

The other one I seem to be the only fan of is Rupert Thorne, has Carmine Falcone taken any role that Rupert Thorne would play as the plainclothes kinpin of the underworld who looks down on the "freaks"? Batman needs an untouchable if not plainclothes mob figure. Sure there is Penguin, but there is room for more and Penguin is likely to take to the field form time to time and direct thugs. Even so Carmine can be dead and Rupert can be related or connected to Falcone and try to pull a Palpitine and take power.
Old 01-08-2020, 05:32 PM   #59
myconius
Abby Normal

Location: the grave marked "Unknown" right beside Arch Stanton.
Quote:
I am just surprised at how he was an actual threat while not being a big name and then forgotten only to be remembered as a joke. How can someone who was an actual threat be a joke like that? Its not freaking Signal Man or Calendar Man, or Killer Moth who always have been in-story treated as such from day one.

I thought Spook would have returned by now. If everyone else can get well.Why not play up one or the other his escape artistry to get out of the beheading or come back undead and be an actual Sppok? The only thing campy about him is coincidental, the fact his name is Val Kaliban opposed to Val Kilmer, a slight name tweak and there you go.

These are his appearances, but note #291-#294 is as a gathering of villains which he portrays a juror. Which ones did you read?
Detective Comics #434 (April 1973): "The Spook Who Stalked Batman"
Detective Comics #435 (June-July 1973): "The Spook Strikes Again"
Batman #252 (October 1973): "The Spook's Master Stroke"
Batman #276 (June 1976): "The Haunting of the Spook"
Batman #291 (September 1977): "Where Were You On the Night Batman Was Killed?"
Batman #292 (October 1977): "The Testimony of the Riddler"
Batman #293 (November 1977): "The Testimony of Luthor"
Batman #294 (December 1977): "Testimony of the Joker"
Batman #304 (October 1978 ): "To Hell with Batman--and Back"
Detective Comics #488 (February-March 1980): "The Spook's Death Sentence for Batman"
Detective Comics #526 (May 1983): "All My Enemies Against Me"

Then there is "Scared Straight" from Gotham Knights #46 (December 2003) that portrayed him differently and perhaps inspired Batman#657's use of the character. Morrison said he was a favorite forgotten character, why would you kill a favorite to build up one of her own? "Favorite", sure its what I would have done to Professor Pyg.
i guess it all just depends on who the writer is and what classic villains they feel like dusting off.
so far most writers just want to try to create their own crappy villains to make a name for themselves.
then we end up with trash like Gotham and Gotham Girl.

Crazy Quilt was re-invented for the new52 just so he could be unceremoniously killed off.
then without explanation was simply brought back and used in a later story.

i’d read all the ones you suggested to me. pretty sure they were Detective Comics #434, Detective Comics #435, Batman #252, & Batman #276
i’ll save this list have to re-read them again soon.

why would you kill a favorite to build up one of her own? writers always do that. Tom King just recently did that to Bane, but back-peddaled it as soon as he got swamped with hate.
that didn’t stop him from sticking to killing Alfred though, that putz.
Old 01-08-2020, 07:07 PM   #60
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by myconius View Post
i guess it all just depends on who the writer is and what classic villains they feel like dusting off.
so far most writers just want to try to create their own crappy villains to make a name for themselves.
then we end up with trash like Gotham and Gotham Girl.

Crazy Quilt was re-invented for the new52 just so he could be unceremoniously killed off.
then without explanation was simply brought back and used in a later story.

i’d read all the ones you suggested to me. pretty sure they were Detective Comics #434, Detective Comics #435, Batman #252, & Batman #276
i’ll save this list have to re-read them again soon.

why would you kill a favorite to build up one of her own? writers always do that. Tom King just recently did that to Bane, but back-peddaled it as soon as he got swamped with hate.
that didn’t stop him from sticking to killing Alfred though, that putz.
I admit I have not been reading it, but keeping tabs on it, why would Batman give Gotham Girl powers form a kryptonian device? She opted to kill Bruce in exchange for her brother. I mean, Bruce giving her powers instead of kicking her out of town or jailing her?

Wait...I know Crazy Quilt made a cameo or two in King's run, but I did not know he was killed. I actually watched this new video from Gotham Rogues this morning while eating breakfast.

Tags
batman