The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 08-27-2015, 08:55 AM   #41
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazi View Post
I don't mind stories like this, but the problem is that right from thestart it was obvious what the story will be like. Casey and April having a quarrel, going seperate ways, having hallucinations. the they somehow coming out of it, and coming together. It's such a cliché... It could be an okay story, but it's told in a really boring way, and while it is a character drama, I still don't think it achieved any major (or even minor) character develepment.
The art is also not very good, e.g. characters facial built changes between panels, etc.
It's not even the fact that it's cliche, but that it's wasted potential. That's my biggest gripe with this arc.

Three issues in, and the only thing I've learned about the Pantheon is that Rat King likes barbeque.
Old 08-27-2015, 12:06 PM   #42
ctt4lfecw
Stone Warrior

For the love of God will something please happen in this book? I mean c'mon. I feel so ripped off.
ctt4lfecw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 12:12 PM   #43
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctt4lfecw View Post
For the love of God will something please happen in this book? I mean c'mon. I feel so ripped off.
You don't like paying $11.97 plus sales tax for three pages of Rat King wanting to eat barbeque?
Old 08-27-2015, 07:04 PM   #44
FunkyDoesIt
Thug

Even if I try, I still cannot point one single thing I like about this mini so far. Oh wait I can!

BBQ.
Old 08-27-2015, 07:12 PM   #45
ChosenOne
Banned

I'm a glutton for punishment, so I went and reread this issue.

Funny how in April's flashback one of the books is titled Japanese Fauna, and another one is open on a page with a photo of what looks like a red-crowned crane... You can bet that whole bird research thing with her dad will come up again later when she finally meets Red.

(I'm just in it for the Pantheon stuff, really.)
ChosenOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 07:25 PM   #46
swing_kinker
Thug

http://bigglasgowcomic.com/review-te...y-and-april-3/

Uncharacteristically negative review from me this time. Can't believe how the good pacing from the first 2 issues has been messed up. Whole load of nothing, like they're making it up on the spot
swing_kinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 08:36 PM   #47
oldmanwinters
Overlord

I didn't think the newest issue was bad, and I generally enjoyed it. It was definitely a pretty weird chapter, and I can't help but think the Rat King and the Pantheon angle has been underused thus far. Casey's moments of introspection definitely seems to have more weight than April's. I can't help but think the last thing that would come to my mind when walking through a dark maze inside a random "old lady" trailer would be some night when studying a bunch of text books made me tired. The deep dark corridors of April's soul don't really seem so bad compared to what we've seen with Leo and Casey.

I had hoped IDW would have struck a better balance between trippy ghost story/frustrated love story dynamic. But... there's still one more chapter to go.

Anyhoo, looking forward to the conclusion!

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 08:57 PM   #48
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
I didn't think the newest issue was bad, and I generally enjoyed it. It was definitely a pretty weird chapter, and I can't help but think the Rat King and the Pantheon angle has been underused thus far. Casey's moments of introspection definitely seems to have more weight than April's. I can't help but think the last thing that would come to my mind when walking through a dark maze inside a random "old lady" trailer would be some night when studying a bunch of text books made me tired. The deep dark corridors of April's soul don't really seem so bad compared to what we've seen with Leo and Casey.

I had hoped IDW would have struck a better balance between trippy ghost story/frustrated love story dynamic. But... there's still one more chapter to go.

Anyhoo, looking forward to the conclusion!
If April's flashback ties in somewhat to Red's totemic beast of choice, then at least that aspect of the story won't feel so random.

We'll just have to wait for #4 and find out if it's a genuine Chekhov's gun or not.
Old 08-27-2015, 09:03 PM   #49
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChosenOne View Post
We'll just have to wait for #4 and find out if it's a genuine Chekhov's gun or not.
If it is, I can't help but think the Phaser will be set to merely "stun" rather than "kill."

View my sketch work!
Old 08-27-2015, 09:22 PM   #50
ChosenOne
Banned

I've tried to remain optimistic in regards to this mini ever since it was first announced and some people voiced their concerns.

Even now, after three months of disappointment, I want to believe the whole thing will be tied up nicely and end on a better note than what we've seen so far, which I guess speaks volumes about the faith I have in the IDW crew.

If it does end up as bad as it started, then, well... Everyone has their missteps. We as comic book readers are very lucky it took them over 80 issues to get to this point, and can only hope this mini is a fluke in terms of pacing and content.

Last edited by ChosenOne; 08-27-2015 at 09:30 PM.
Old 08-27-2015, 10:57 PM   #51
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChosenOne View Post
I've tried to remain optimistic in regards to this mini ever since it was first announced and some people voiced their concerns.

Even now, after three months of disappointment, I want to believe the whole thing will be tied up nicely and end on a better note than what we've seen so far, which I guess speaks volumes about the faith I have in the IDW crew.

If it does end up as bad as it started, then, well... Everyone has their missteps. We as comic book readers are very lucky it took them over 80 issues to get to this point, and can only hope this mini is a fluke in terms of pacing and content.
And it's worth remembering that IDW really was trying to write this series for a different type of target audience than might regularly follow the main series. Sales seem to suggest that strategy hasn't panned out too well, but I hate that a story revolving around Casey & April had to fall into a "niche" demographic in the first place. I really like both characters, and I'd like to think that a story arc built around the one or both of them could still appeal to the majority of TMNT fans, even if the Turtles themselves have little or no direct involvement with the storyline. Remember the original Archie Comics April O'Neil mini-series? That was a pretty good development of various loose ends in the TMNTA continuity, and I don't think the TMNT appeared at all.

View my sketch work!
Old 08-28-2015, 11:19 AM   #52
DrSpengler
Foot Elite

Here's my review of Casey & April #3 at TMNT Entity.

I'm just not feeling this miniseries, I'm afraid. The set piece of the labyrinth felt a bit squandered, as it was rendered as nothing but blackness. The issue wound up looking like a lot of empty space.

That said, there are interesting qualities underneath the surface that I'd like to learn more of. Mostly regarding the Rat King, of course.
DrSpengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 11:57 AM   #53
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSpengler View Post
Here's my review of Casey & April #3 at TMNT Entity.

I'm just not feeling this miniseries, I'm afraid. The set piece of the labyrinth felt a bit squandered, as it was rendered as nothing but blackness. The issue wound up looking like a lot of empty space.

That said, there are interesting qualities underneath the surface that I'd like to learn more of. Mostly regarding the Rat King, of course.
I appreciate your analysis of the problems of trying to structure a 20-page American comic like a traditional manga. Very good insight.

View my sketch work!
Old 08-29-2015, 11:03 PM   #54
Metropoliskid41
Stone Warrior

This whole series very much reads as an Indy comic from the era of decompressed storytelling. It very much reminds me of the first 12-15 issues of Jeff Lemire's Sweet Tooth story from Vertigo. It is an interesting premise with very slow pacing and little story content, resulting in a fast read and nothing much happening. Like Sweet Tooth, it has very simple art (don't read that as bad) just mostly figure work with a lot of negative space. Simple art for me (at least at this level) where there isn't much action, works best when being paired with heavy dialog (like Bendis & Gulacy's Alias series from Marvel) but we aren't getting that here. This will most likely read a lot better in collected form, the pacing won't seem so slow in that format, but this one should have either been a larger one-shot or a two-issue mini-series, not stretched to 4 monthly issue moving at this slow of pace.

I have enjoyed the series premise, reread issues 1-3 back to back to back tonight and had less issues with it than reading them one at a time with a month between issues.
Old 08-30-2015, 02:55 PM   #55
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metropoliskid41 View Post
This whole series very much reads as an Indy comic from the era of decompressed storytelling. It very much reminds me of the first 12-15 issues of Jeff Lemire's Sweet Tooth story from Vertigo. It is an interesting premise with very slow pacing and little story content, resulting in a fast read and nothing much happening. Like Sweet Tooth, it has very simple art (don't read that as bad) just mostly figure work with a lot of negative space. Simple art for me (at least at this level) where there isn't much action, works best when being paired with heavy dialog (like Bendis & Gulacy's Alias series from Marvel) but we aren't getting that here. This will most likely read a lot better in collected form, the pacing won't seem so slow in that format, but this one should have either been a larger one-shot or a two-issue mini-series, not stretched to 4 monthly issue moving at this slow of pace.

I have enjoyed the series premise, reread issues 1-3 back to back to back tonight and had less issues with it than reading them one at a time with a month between issues.
Sweet Tooth had storytelling that was nowhere NEAR this slow. I mean, c'mon... the old guy with a shotgun (name escapes me) showed up at the end of page 1. There was TONS of awesome stuff in that series, and it was nowhere near slow.
Old 08-30-2015, 03:49 PM   #56
FlawedCoil82
Stone Warrior

Yea, I read this issue last night and was amazed at how "empty" it felt. I was expecting some grand "reveal" but it was just an uneventful event. IDW still has some "good faith wiggle room" built up for taking some missteps here or there since they are regularly killing it in the main books, but this mini-series is definitely on the low end of their otherwise stellar output. Yet like April learned in this issue, "The Only Way Out Is In", so that means only one more issue until we are out of this mess.
FlawedCoil82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 04:29 PM   #57
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlawedCoil82 View Post
Yea, I read this issue last night and was amazed at how "empty" it felt. I was expecting some grand "reveal" but it was just an uneventful event. IDW still has some "good faith wiggle room" built up for taking some missteps here or there since they are regularly killing it in the main books, but this mini-series is definitely on the low end of their otherwise stellar output. Yet like April learned in this issue, "The Only Way Out Is In", so that means only one more issue until we are out of this mess.
Good way to put it.

I'm personally interested to know how much of the next issue's revealed facts will be unique/independent to this issue, and how much of it will be reiterated in the ongoing series' new few issues. Because if there's enough overlap, I may forgo purchasing the TPB. And except for the two abysmal annuals, which have also been both terrible and mostly standalone, I've bought everything for my bookshelf.

Still, we could learn some interesting stuff... but honestly, at this point, I wonder if the Rat King will reward April and Casey with ANYTHING. I thought "Red" would be more sympathetic and more antagonistic towards Rat King, but so far, she doesn't seem like she's anymore of an ally to the TMNT than the Rat King himself. And if that's the case... this whole desert excursion may turn out to be more of a trap than a fact-finding mission.
Old 08-30-2015, 09:56 PM   #58
Joey Kamikaze
Stone Warrior

Got hold of the issue, just read it.

...That was maybe five pages worth of story spread out over an entire issue. Jesus. I can see calling this miniseries manga-influenced, but if you're dragging out your stories as long as humanly possible, I think you're taking the wrong lesson away from the medium.
Joey Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 10:31 PM   #59
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Kamikaze View Post
Got hold of the issue, just read it.

...That was maybe five pages worth of story spread out over an entire issue. Jesus. I can see calling this miniseries manga-influenced, but if you're dragging out your stories as long as humanly possible, I think you're taking the wrong lesson away from the medium.
Maybe it was specifically influenced by Dragon Ball?
Old 08-31-2015, 12:25 PM   #60
spookycookies
Stone Warrior

My favorite part of this whole series so far is when Casey meets up with April again and says "I hate California" that's exactly how I feel about this whole mess.

This series wasted so much time and potential doing nothing. This Rat King doesn't feel at all like the character from last year. I repeat this every Casey & April thread but I don't think the different audience thing is a valid excuse to alienate the people that have been buying your books since day one. If IDW expects to find new readers from this series they are going about it the wrong way. It's like locking the front door and opening the bathroom window, how could anyone who only picked up Casey and April be willing to start buying Flyborg Smash Fest 2015?

I don't think that the creative team for this mini series should be doing any more work in this comic's universe again. I wish them the best of luck elsewhere but they really bored me all summer long with this book.

People say in this book's defense things like "If you don't like it don't buy it," "It was made with a different audience in mind not you," but I can't accept that. IDW's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles is my favorite comic by far and I want this universe to continue and it's regular staff to succeed. IDW TMNT is the only book I purchase every month and when I do I buy a copy of each variant cover I can get a hold of. I'm not saying that I'm entitled to some type of content or that the publisher should be beholden to my tastes but literally I am the apex customer and if someone like me is consistently groaning through this book for 3 months than it is a sign that it just doesn't fit in with the rest of the series in a major way.

Casey & April is the worst mini in the IDW TMNT volume. I would rather have waited for a 4 part Eastman annual than this junk.
spookycookies is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comic discussion