The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > 4Kids TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you think the 2003 series is under-appreciated?
Yes, I do think its under-appreciated 107 88.43%
No, it has enough credit/meh I dont care for it 14 11.57%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-05-2016, 08:09 PM   #141
xbennoda
Random Punk

Words cannot explain how unappreciated this era of the Turtles is, honestly. It's very hard to find people in my country that know that this era existed, since they only know the '87 cartoon and the current Nick one. I, in my opinion, am not a fan of either of those... I just can't wrap my head around how immature those two are. With 2k3 you can experience a balance between comedy and actual fighting. The plot is great, literally perfection to me. I miss it so much.

"...and walk this way"
xbennoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 11:30 AM   #142
Wesley
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbennoda View Post
Words cannot explain how unappreciated this era of the Turtles is, honestly. It's very hard to find people in my country that know that this era existed, since they only know the '87 cartoon and the current Nick one. I, in my opinion, am not a fan of either of those... I just can't wrap my head around how immature those two are. With 2k3 you can experience a balance between comedy and actual fighting. The plot is great, literally perfection to me. I miss it so much.
I agree with what you've said about 2003. It's my favourite tmnt cartoon and the definitive one to me. I still enjoy the 87 cartoon but not as much as I did when I was younger. It's alright in small doses, but gets repetitive. I tried getting into the 2012 show, but it just doesn't interest me enough. It suffers from an identity crisis, as it can't strike the right balance between being light-hearted and serious.
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 11:53 AM   #143
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Quote:
Actually, I think at most places around the Earth people know of:
1) 1987 cartoon
2) Archie TMNT Adventure Comics
3) Cinema films (both early-1990's original and 2010's reboot)

I know people who are aware of the 2003 cartoon and the 2012 one but havn't sit down watching episodes. Some of them know 2003 as a "failed attempt to score the same commercial success with TMNT" and 2012 as a new attempt.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 08:03 PM   #144
wpugh2424
Mad Scientist

I don't know if it's under appreciated. They had lots of toys and games. I will say it may be the least well known of the three, but imho, it's the best storyline of all of them at least until fast forward where it seems to have taken an awkward turn for me.
I love this series and am bout to watch it again In its entirety as I've just watched the OT during my workouts over the last few months.
Old 07-06-2016, 09:50 PM   #145
Zog
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Easily my favorite version of the turtles and one of my favorite cartoons of all time. I wish that this series got more recognition and that a series dvd/blu-ray would release.
Zog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 09:53 PM   #146
Unworthy tinker
Hench Mutant

By the general public, yes, I'd say it's pretty under-appreciated. However, it seems like it's that way with most TMNT stuff, especially when compared to the 80's cartoon. Closest to being as big as that was the current cartoon and Bayturtles, but that's still not saying much, especially more recently, with the cartoon kinda falling under the radar and OOTS flopping.

But by the fandom though, not at all. We're all on this forum because we're big fans who most likely totally know that the 2003 cartoon exists.
Old 07-07-2016, 03:29 AM   #147
FlawedCoil82
Stone Warrior

I absolutely feel that this series is under-appreciated. Just the simple fact alone that we still do not have a full series DVD set available in 2016 is beyond inexcusable. Even when I go to flea markets, I never see toys or merchandise from this series. It is such a shame because I feel that it was easily the best animated series the TMNT have had thus far. But just like most other forms of entertainment in this backwards society, the things that deserve praise never get it while the things that do not deserve it are heavily rewarded.
FlawedCoil82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 05:04 AM   #148
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlawedCoil82 View Post
I never see toys or merchandise from this series.
Of course we don't see toys or other merchandise from it today. The question is how common it was between 2003-2009 when it aired (I just know it had toys and a spinoff-Dreamwave comic book lasting for 7 issues or so).
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 01:25 PM   #149
FlawedCoil82
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
Of course we don't see toys or other merchandise from it today. The question is how common it was between 2003-2009 when it aired (I just know it had toys and a spinoff-Dreamwave comic book lasting for 7 issues or so).
Thats why I said "at flea markets" which sells items not currently available anymore in retail stores. But I see plenty of other merch from the 80s, 90s (movie related) plus the Nick series. I don't see anyone who bought up 4kids TMNT merchandise to resell at flea markets. The series seems mostly forgotten in today's world.
FlawedCoil82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 04:18 PM   #150
xbennoda
Random Punk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zog View Post
Easily my favorite version of the turtles and one of my favorite cartoons of all time. I wish that this series got more recognition and that a series dvd/blu-ray would release.
I definitely agree. I don't like depending on YT to watch the entire series 'cause if the internet crashes I'm left with a useless computer pretty much. I'd buy it on Blu-Ray no matter what the cost is. It'd be so worth it.

"...and walk this way"
xbennoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 11:05 PM   #151
WebLurker
Hench Mutant

In all honesty, I feel the series is actually a little overrated.

To be fair, I don't think it's bad by any stretch and did do some good stuff, but I think it has a few flaws in comparison to its predecessor and successor cartoons.

First off, I don't think the animation is that great. It's a little stiff and the characters are nowhere near as expressive as they are in the other shows.

The voice cast, while not bad, felt kind of flat. It really sounds like they're recording their lines separately, whereas the other shows really do sound like the characters conversing. The actual performances are also a little lifeless. Compare 2003 Donatello to the 2012 version. The latter is a far more dimensional character based on the line delivery alone.

2003 TMNT cannot do humor to save its life. Jokes fall like lead balloons and are painful to listen to. Mikey also crosses the very thin line from being entertaining to annoying and suffers from the poor humor a lot.

I also recall that the show lacks the joy of the other cartoons. There's something about it that doesn't seem as full of life. Not sure if I'm explaining it well, but there it is.

I think that 2003 TMNT's biggest asset was it's its ability to do serious stories and drama.

Now, the series did have some notable influences. Hun was created for this. I've heard that the IDW comics use it as an influence, in tone at least. The 2012 cartoon incorporated their own versions of of the Earth Protection Force, Bishop, and adapted Turtles Forever in "Transdimensional Turtles."

So, I think that the reasons that 2003 may be lesser remembered of the cartoons because I think it has several weak points in the presentation and execution that detract from it. Comparing it to the other shows is also very hard. The '80s cartoon is so iconic (it practically wrote the book on what TMNT is supposed to be, according to the general public) and the 2012 cartoon is a really well-rounded show (it hit the sweet spot between the previous cartoons in terms of humor and dramas), and very arguably superior to the previous cartoons in regards to casting, animation, and writing.

So, do I think it deserves more appreciation? No, I don't think it's quite as great as remembered (either as is or in comparison to its fellow cartoons), it has left its mark on the franchise, and already has a fanbase. But, I will repeat, it's not bad in and of itself (I'd kind of like a chance to see it from beginning to end), and it is a shame that the DVD releases are incomplete.
WebLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 06:33 AM   #152
Andy1999
Random Punk

Its my favourite TMNT show
Andy1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 12:08 AM   #153
Longview01
Foot Soldier

I've tried several times to get into 2012 Turtles but the animation does my head in, I don't like the new April at all and the whole show feels like some sort of kickback to the original which is why I loved Turtles 2K3 because it tried to distance itself from the 80s cartoon
Old 09-13-2016, 12:22 AM   #154
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longview01 View Post
I've tried several times to get into 2012 Turtles but the animation does my head in, I don't like the new April at all and the whole show feels like some sort of kickback to the original which is why I loved Turtles 2K3 because it tried to distance itself from the 80s cartoon
The CG animation in the Nick cartoon is quite good and it continues to improve with each passing season. The new April is also fine.

Give it another shot because it is quite good.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 09:34 AM   #155
SKX31
Random Punk

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
In all honesty, I feel the series is actually a little overrated.

To be fair, I don't think it's bad by any stretch and did do some good stuff, but I think it has a few flaws in comparison to its predecessor and successor cartoons.

First off, I don't think the animation is that great. It's a little stiff and the characters are nowhere near as expressive as they are in the other shows.

The voice cast, while not bad, felt kind of flat. It really sounds like they're recording their lines separately, whereas the other shows really do sound like the characters conversing. The actual performances are also a little lifeless. Compare 2003 Donatello to the 2012 version. The latter is a far more dimensional character based on the line delivery alone.

2003 TMNT cannot do humor to save its life. Jokes fall like lead balloons and are painful to listen to. Mikey also crosses the very thin line from being entertaining to annoying and suffers from the poor humor a lot.

I also recall that the show lacks the joy of the other cartoons. There's something about it that doesn't seem as full of life. Not sure if I'm explaining it well, but there it is.

I think that 2003 TMNT's biggest asset was it's its ability to do serious stories and drama.

Now, the series did have some notable influences. Hun was created for this. I've heard that the IDW comics use it as an influence, in tone at least. The 2012 cartoon incorporated their own versions of of the Earth Protection Force, Bishop, and adapted Turtles Forever in "Transdimensional Turtles."

So, I think that the reasons that 2003 may be lesser remembered of the cartoons because I think it has several weak points in the presentation and execution that detract from it. Comparing it to the other shows is also very hard. The '80s cartoon is so iconic (it practically wrote the book on what TMNT is supposed to be, according to the general public) and the 2012 cartoon is a really well-rounded show (it hit the sweet spot between the previous cartoons in terms of humor and dramas), and very arguably superior to the previous cartoons in regards to casting, animation, and writing.

So, do I think it deserves more appreciation? No, I don't think it's quite as great as remembered (either as is or in comparison to its fellow cartoons), it has left its mark on the franchise, and already has a fanbase. But, I will repeat, it's not bad in and of itself (I'd kind of like a chance to see it from beginning to end), and it is a shame that the DVD releases are incomplete.
I do see the points you raise as pretty valid. Yes, I'm a 2K3 fan through and through, but I agree that the humor's - at best - very wobbly and often falls flat, I can see why people think the voice cast sounds meh (especially if you're more familiar with the OT / Nick interpretations*), and the animation budget's inconsistent most of the time.

That said, it can be pretty infuriating to see TMNT be viewed by quite a lot of people as only consisting of OT, Nick and possibly the 1990 movie / whichever movie is the latest one (or nostalgic versions thereof when it comes to OT / 90) - thereby missing out of major TMNT productions such as the Mirage comics or 2K3**. Nick's own treatment of 2K3 doesn't really help matters - thus the calls for at least more DVD or iTunes releases.

And thus, the general sense that the cartoon's underappreciated, or even forgotten - and that has unfortunately happened to a large extent. Nick is very open about their OT influences - but not so open about the influences from elsewhere, not just 2K3.

In the end, while I'm perfectly fine with 2K3's legacy per se (it was a major influence in future TMNT stuff - and it shows when Nick straight up repeated 2K3's opening shot for their first episode) I'm not fine with a) Nick's handling of a perfectly good show, and b) the total cultural foregetfulness.

*(The low point being the Garbageman - which is pretty much Mike Pollock reusing his Eggman voice. Come on...)

**The same applies for when people only think of the most famous part of a brand, like G1 / Bay movie Transformers or imagining MLP:FiM as mostly the same as previous gens - especially G3. Point is that tons of potentially enjoyable material is missed out of that way - like Beast Wars or Prime in TF's case.
SKX31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 12:24 PM   #156
WebLurker
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKX31 View Post
I do see the points you raise as pretty valid. Yes, I'm a 2K3 fan through and through, but I agree that the humor's - at best - very wobbly and often falls flat, I can see why people think the voice cast sounds meh (especially if you're more familiar with the OT / Nick interpretations*), and the animation budget's inconsistent most of the time.
I did like their casting for April (that's the voice I tend to hear when thinking of the adult version of the character) and thought Splinter was good for the characterization they were going for. I have heard worse voice casts before, but, I do really like the work done on the other shows better.

Quote:
That said, it can be pretty infuriating to see TMNT be viewed by quite a lot of people as only consisting of OT, Nick and possibly the 1990 movie / whichever movie is the latest one (or nostalgic versions thereof when it comes to OT / 90) - thereby missing out of major TMNT productions such as the Mirage comics or 2K3**. Nick's own treatment of 2K3 doesn't really help matters - thus the calls for at least more DVD or iTunes releases.
Well, the OT is such a piece of pop culture, I honestly don't think anything is going to really take its place in the franchise, the Nick show is so new that I think it's too early to tell how it'll be remembered going forward. However, it is the current thing, so I guess it kind of makes some sense that the 2003 show is somewhat on the back burner in comparison.

Agree though, that the entire series should be on the home market.

Quote:
And thus, the general sense that the cartoon's underappreciated, or even forgotten - and that has unfortunately happened to a large extent. Nick is very open about their OT influences - but not so open about the influences from elsewhere, not just 2K3.
Well, Nick does pretty clearly borrow from everything (down to Easter egg references to the CGI movie and the old RPG), but I think a lot of the OT iconography and ideas have become so associated with the brand, that it does seem like Nick is OT.2 (although I will concede that the show was made to channel that show a lot in any event).

Quote:
In the end, while I'm perfectly fine with 2K3's legacy per se (it was a major influence in future TMNT stuff - and it shows when Nick straight up repeated 2K3's opening shot for their first episode) I'm not fine with a) Nick's handling of a perfectly good show, and b) the total cultural foregetfulness.

*(The low point being the Garbageman - which is pretty much Mike Pollock reusing his Eggman voice. Come on...)

**The same applies for when people only think of the most famous part of a brand, like G1 / Bay movie Transformers or imagining MLP:FiM as mostly the same as previous gens - especially G3. Point is that tons of potentially enjoyable material is missed out of that way - like Beast Wars or Prime in TF's case.
Well, we'll see where things go.
Old 09-13-2016, 06:13 PM   #157
CyberCubed
Overlord

Both the 2k3 and Nick series are critically acclaimed.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 04:15 AM   #158
Longview01
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
The CG animation in the Nick cartoon is quite good and it continues to improve with each passing season. The new April is also fine.

Give it another shot because it is quite good.
I don't like CG animation in general, I watch the odd episode with my daughter and i'm really not feeling it
Old 09-18-2016, 11:26 AM   #159
WebLurker
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longview01 View Post
I don't like CG animation in general, I watch the odd episode with my daughter and i'm really not feeling it
Fair enough. I like animation in general, so for me, I don't see one as better than the other (both have their place and I'd like to see them co-exist, IMHO). I, myself, really like the TMNT 2012 animation, but if you don't care for the CGI sub-genre of animation, I can get that it it's not in your wheel house.
Old 09-18-2016, 04:35 PM   #160
Longview01
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
Fair enough. I like animation in general, so for me, I don't see one as better than the other (both have their place and I'd like to see them co-exist, IMHO). I, myself, really like the TMNT 2012 animation, but if you don't care for the CGI sub-genre of animation, I can get that it it's not in your wheel house.
I think the fact I spent alot of my teenage years watching Manga and various other adult Japanese animations makes Turtles 2K3 more appealing to me

Tags
2k3 series, channelmadness