The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Old 09-22-2014, 03:55 PM   #2021
Icebot
Foot Elite

My sister has the flu.
Icebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 05:14 PM   #2022
blindturtle02
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icebot View Post
My sister has the flu.
My better half had it all weekend. It's certainly making its rounds in TX. I haven't gotten it yet. Knocking on my wooden nightstand. Wish flu shots would get here. Seems like they have them ready around some point in early Oct every year.
Old 09-23-2014, 07:31 AM   #2023
BubblyShell22
Leo-holic

I'm so sore from working with my dad yesterday, and I hate it! Granted, I don't mind helping my dad out, but I don't like the pain that comes with it.

"Embrace your inner a**holiness."-Mr. Anderson.
BubblyShell22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 07:33 AM   #2024
AT-Man
I SEEN IT

Power outages

Through the Golden Door
AT-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 08:29 AM   #2025
blindturtle02
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by AT-Man View Post
Power outages
Oh man, I hate those. When I was living in Pine Bluff Arkansas a few years ago, it would go out seemingly every time the wind blew. Same with the Internet. Sucked whenever I was trying to get school work done.

Bubblyshell, sorry you're sore. I've been moving furniture around so I can finally get some shelves put up to display my Star Wars stuff, so I guess I can relate. I recently increased my walking time to about an hour and a half, so that's also got something to do with it. I like that type of soreness, but only in small doses. haha
Old 09-23-2014, 02:30 PM   #2026
BubblyShell22
Leo-holic

Yeah, I think I overdid it yesterday, but at least I was able to help Dad out when he needed it. Heck, he gets more work out of me than my brother!

Old 09-23-2014, 07:35 PM   #2027
shuriken
Second City Shinobi

falling painfully off my bike. Got a gnarly scrape on my arms that are just sooo annoying.
Old 09-24-2014, 04:21 AM   #2028
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill

Quote:
Originally Posted by AT-Man View Post
Power outages
We had one of those here the other night. For a few days straight it rained like a bitch and on one of those nights the power went out at around 3 in the morning while I was asleep.

Unfortunately, I can never just sleep right through power outages, because it turns off my computer, and therefore, my music. I absolutely hate this about myself and wish I could change it, but I cannot function in the silence. I just mentally can't do it. Power outages will always wake me up because my brain can't handle silence for some reason. I'm hoping I can get some answers to this and why it happens once I get to a doctor, because sometimes I just... freak the hell out when it gets too quiet. The behaviour is just never appropriate but I become a completely different person.

Speaking of doctors, for some weeks, my mother and I have been cleaning her boss' office every Wednesday for some extra cash so I can save up to go see somebody. The money is just added to Mom's pay, but she can't afford to have it set up that way -- if she makes too much, she loses her retirement money. Her boss knows this, as he had to cut her hours last December to make sure she kept her retirement, yet he refuses to sign me on as an employee and just put the money for both Mom and I in my name. But if he did this, I'd be able to list myself as employed and I could go see a sliding scale therapist.

Plus Mom wouldn't be forced to quit cleaning the office, it's less costly to her boss to hire us to do it rather than a maid, AND Mom gets to keep her retirement. There are no downsides to this for anybody. So what the actual ****? Is he TRYING to screw us over? He's ****ing lucky that it's JUST Mom that talks to him, because if I ever get so much as a glimpse of him, I WILL give him a piece of my mind about this. Because what the actual ****, dude.
Old 09-24-2014, 10:58 AM   #2029
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Some jackwagon set Mike brown's memorial on fire.

But, it was nice to see people have rebuilt it, and made it even bigger.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 03:34 PM   #2030
blindturtle02
Foot Elite

No braille whatsoever in my teacher certification courses. I have to take exams a third time because I just can't visualize everything if they're given to me orally. There's such a long waiting period for the braille versions. 6 to 12 weeks just to see if they have any in stock, and I think they cost more. That, and the office of testing integrity has my scores from one exam and won't release them. I've called several times but have gotten no response or explanation as to why they haven't released them after two months' time. The person who was asked to read the exam to me has read to me twice before, so I know he didn't fix the answers for me. Besides, he's paid to read exams to blind folks. Doctoring exams would jeopardize his position, and it just doesn't sound like something he'd do.

The no braille bit goes even further. The head teacher of the course had six to eight months before the class to get textbooks, and nothing. There were some men and women who showed up one night to speak about teachers possibly having to work with various disabled students and the types of tech that were available to them. They were very helpful and offered all types of assistance if I'd needed any when it came to the handouts and such. They apologized because our head honcho never even told them that a blind student was in the class. I told them that they weren't mind readers and that they couldn't have known, and they were a very friendly group of people. So that was pretty cool. So now I'm looking into some legal issues, but concerned I don't really have a case. I've never been one to make waves at all, but how can things get better for the next person if I don't at least make an attempt to change them? I've thought it over a lot, and I don't think I'm asking for any special treatment or things to just be handed to me. I never have. But I do feel that a little more equality would go a long way. Well, I guess it'd be a lot more in this situation.
Old 09-24-2014, 03:36 PM   #2031
blindturtle02
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Kappa View Post
Some jackwagon set Mike brown's memorial on fire.

But, it was nice to see people have rebuilt it, and made it even bigger.
Seriously? What would compel someone to do a thing like that? I hope they catch whoever did it eventually. Pretty cowardly thing to do.
Old 09-24-2014, 06:49 PM   #2032
Dawnatello Turtle Chick
Mad Scientist

My son & I are both sick. My son very rarely gets sick (maybe once or twice a year at the most) and he's usually a very happy patient. For some reason this time though he's inconsolable. Whining constantly and asks for one thing then doesn't want it. I've been trying to push liquids down him with very little luck and he's not sleeping well. He doesn't even want to be held much at all. He's taking his medicine all right but it's so hard to see my sweet baby boy like this. Nothing I do seems to help... I think one of the worst things as a parent is being helpless to help your child. I really hope he gets better soon.
Old 09-25-2014, 08:27 AM   #2033
BubblyShell22
Leo-holic

Wow. Sorry to hear that, Dawn. I hope you guys get well soon.

BT, that sucks. I don't think it's about asking for special treatment, but you do need the help, and they need to recognize that. I hope things get better for you.

My gear grind: Bad headache this morning, and I think it's from the high pressure we're having. Not cool. Been taking a lot of naps lately even though I've tried not to do that too much.

Old 09-25-2014, 10:48 AM   #2034
blindturtle02
Foot Elite

Thanks Bubbly, and sorry bout your headache. They can really lay a person low. My allergies have been kicking my butt this week. Ragweed is blooming like crazy around here. So I had a sinus headache night before last and all day yesterday along with the stuffy nose and constant sneezing that goes with allergies. I napped yesterday afternoon for like two hours and I'm not one for naps during the day. A short thirty minute power nap is about it for me.
Old 09-25-2014, 02:45 PM   #2035
Icebot
Foot Elite

Time limits and having to rush to do things.

I get sick from that and usually have nightmares about it.
Old 09-25-2014, 02:47 PM   #2036
Davetello
Banned

Sorry to hear about your son Dawn. Hopefully he gets better soon.

Icebot - try not to put too much pressure on yourself man. Just remind yourself that nothing is more important than your physical and mental health.
Davetello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 02:50 PM   #2037
Icebot
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davetello View Post
Icebot - try not to put too much pressure on yourself man. Just remind yourself that nothing is more important than your physical and mental health.
Thank you, I really appreciate this. . I will definitely keep this in mind.
Old 09-25-2014, 03:04 PM   #2038
Davetello
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icebot View Post
Thank you, I really appreciate this. . I will definitely keep this in mind.
No problem. Happy to help.

I know it sounds like a cliche but it's true. Just think to yourself "if I let this task get to me mentally and physically then I become less capable of completing it, and then it just becomes a vicious circle". It's easier said than done though. When I first started back at university I hadn't studied in a few years. I doubted myself but some friends got me through it by telling me I could cope and I could do it. Once I started writing essays I found that they were correct - my confidence rose and the pressure subsided. And on the rare future occasions where I did feel the pressure, they reminded me that I was allowing that pressure to control me - it's best if I calm down and focus on the task at hand. Again, they were right. That's what you have to do - calm down, relax, and put these tasks in their proper perspective. They're important but in the grand scheme of things they aren't of huge significance. And if you bear in mind that you still possess your mental and physical well being, then that allows you to concentrate on the task at hand. And once it's completed, you can treat yourself to something. Give yourself an incentive.
Davetello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 04:32 PM   #2039
BubblyShell22
Leo-holic

Thanks for the well wishes, guys. I wish it would go away soon, but who knows? I didn't have this problem yesterday though. On the upside, I'm not as sore as I was before and can actually walk now whereas before I could barely move.

Old 09-25-2014, 10:29 PM   #2040
Dawnatello Turtle Chick
Mad Scientist

Thanks BubblyShell22 & Davetello, my son is feeling much, much better today. So much so that now he's going stir-crazy and getting into everything, lol. Happy to see that (as much as it's driving me crazy).

@Davetello & Icebot- what Davetello says is so true about letting the pressure get to you. I used to be really bad about doing this to myself, but have worked hard to force myself to just go one step at a time and get myself through it. Every once in a while I still let some of this stuff get the best of me but I can calm myself by reminding myself of how nothing gets accomplished by panicking and worrying about doing it. Just break it down to manageable steps. "My best is all I can do. It is what it is" has been a mantra of mine for years now- cheesy, but it helps!