The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 03-23-2020, 12:00 AM   #161
Leo656
The Franchise

((Shrug)) I forget where I read it but it was only a couple of weeks ago, some article about how they purposely nerf the audio so people will buy better (= more expensive) speakers. I'm no expert but the way they explained it made a lot of sense.

I mean, brake pads and fan belts don't last as long as they used to either. Pretty much everything we buy is designed to entice us to "upgrade" or "replace" with ever-greater frequency.

Gonna be a whole lotta people being "frugal" when this is all said and done, that's for sure.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/

Last edited by Leo656; 03-23-2020 at 12:18 AM.
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 12:11 AM   #162
TommyT
Banned

I will say, in LA, I had chance to go to one of the big cinemas downtown.
It was a totally different experience than here. We have a chain called Cineplex Odeon, they chased most of the competitors out, and have a monopoly.

They are the big, cheap, shittier version of what we once had. Also, it’s no longer a comfortable experience. Yeah, as a kid, in my teens it was great,but there were no cellphones then, and people were a better at being quiet. It’s a weird thing to say. Going to a movie was a fun experience before, but that isn’t today. Today it’s a shitshow.

People who go and live tweet a movie should be shot, in the ****ing street.

Now, I have a great seat, everytime, no fighting for the arm rest with a stranger, and if I need to piss, I don’t miss a damned thing.
TommyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 12:19 AM   #163
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

All the theaters here (well, maybe 90%) all have nice big reclining leather seats.

I remember Cineplex Odeon. That used to be a thing here in WA but I haven't heard that name in a decade or more.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 12:26 AM   #164
Leo656
The Franchise

It's gotten better recently (well, "recently" as in the last 10 years or so). The aforementioned reclining leather seats, better overall quality in general.

One thing I noticed, and only recently found out the "Why" of, is that on very rare occasions a movie will seem a little off or out of focus. Turns out that most likely it was because some operator neglected to swap the 3D lenses on the projector, and since it wasn't a 3D showing, the picture quality suffered. Apparently very few people are trained to swap the lenses correctly and since the projectors are mostly-automated now, it's become standard to just leave them in and thus some movies get played out of focus, and if anyone complains they just refund their ticket money since it wasn't going to the theaters' pockets anyway.

That kinda sucks, but it only happened a couple of times that I was aware of. Otherwise, I definitely enjoy going more now than I used to. They're generally cleaner as well, except for the bathrooms, which... well, all public bathrooms are f*cking awful, anyway. I pretty much have to be about to lose it before I'll even touch one. That's not really a theater problem, though, that's a general "I'm not at home so f*ck whoever has to clean up after me" problem, because people are inherently awful.

Old 03-23-2020, 12:48 AM   #165
TommyT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
All the theaters here (well, maybe 90%) all have nice big reclining leather seats.

I remember Cineplex Odeon. That used to be a thing here in WA but I haven't heard that name in a decade or more.
We had Famous Players and AMC before. Both were killed.
IMAX used to be a big player as well.

Now. It’s all Cineplex. I wasn’t exaggerating at the prices. 20$ for snacks for one. Tickets can be 22$ each. It’s madness.
Old 03-23-2020, 01:06 AM   #166
Leo656
The Franchise

That's definitely wacky. I pay around $12 per ticket over here, sometimes less. One place I went to commonly offered Student prices of under $10 if the only seats left were in the first two rows, and with the reclining seats that's not even a huge deal-breaker anymore like it used to be. But they know it's annoying so they let you pay like eight bucks rather than leave. That's always cool.

A popcorn-and-soda bundle is generally about $8, give or take. My wife and I generally split one because we don't like to get up to piss during a movie, and I can't guzzle a giant soda and hold it for an hour like I used to. So yeah, a Movie Night is about $35 for the two of us, which isn't bad.

I definitely believe the $20+ horror stories, though, I hear it from lots of people who live elsewhere. Just glad that's not the standard over here.

Old 03-23-2020, 01:37 AM   #167
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Yeah, it's like $12-14 here. Less for matinee. 3D is like $17 or so.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 12:45 PM   #168
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

August 14th 2020 is the new release date

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...source=twitter
Old 03-24-2020, 03:25 PM   #169
CyberCubed
Overlord

Watch them push it back again to November, don't see that date sticking.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 03:37 PM   #170
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Our local theater is 10$, 6$ for matinees. Snack will run about 6-7$ a person, but we usually share a bag of popcorn, and get small drinks. I have a fairly big purse, though, so we can slip in a couple of the big candy packs. Same stuff as the theater, but cheaper from the grocery store.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 06:00 PM   #171
TommyT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
Our local theater is 10$, 6$ for matinees. Snack will run about 6-7$ a person, but we usually share a bag of popcorn, and get small drinks. I have a fairly big purse, though, so we can slip in a couple of the big candy packs. Same stuff as the theater, but cheaper from the grocery store.
Wanted to pull a screen grab to show the insanity, but:

So here:

We also pay 13% tax on the whole shebang.

And yes, it's the Imax price, I refuse to pay 16.00 for a 15ft screen in a tiny theater.

If we buy snacks for everybody, it's anywhere from 80-100$, not including gas.

Last edited by TommyT; 03-26-2020 at 06:12 PM.
Old 06-12-2020, 05:55 PM   #172
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

October release now

https://deadline.com/2020/06/wonder-...ft-1202958294/
Old 06-13-2020, 05:35 AM   #173
drgon78
Mad Scientist

October is a bad release month, makes me wonder how much faith they have in this movie.
drgon78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 04:05 PM   #175
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

I'm not thrilled with seeing Maxwell Lord be an 80's version of Trump, or all the 80's humor in general. Ha ha, fanny pack! Ha ha, parachute pants! Whatever.

But it's Gal, and it's the same creative team, so I'll see it. I don't think it'll be as good as the first, but I've got enough goodwill carried over from it to give this one a shot.
Old 08-22-2020, 04:14 PM   #176
Leo656
The Franchise

Yeah, I'm a huge Max Lord fan so seeing how they screwed him up already has me on guard. Also, this will probably be his only film appearance, if certain rumors are to be believed, so once again they're likely taking one of the better DC characters and putting them to poor use before writing them out. Sad.

Cheetah design looks kinda cool.

I expect that the movie will be visually amazing but the story is probably junk. It sure sounds like junk. Huge chunks of it have already leaked out and man... I don't know.

If nothing else we can be sure it will LOOK amazing.

Old 08-22-2020, 04:59 PM   #177
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Will Cheetah be Barbara Minerva amalgamation with Priscilla Rich or just Barbara Minerva?
Old 08-22-2020, 05:03 PM   #178
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Yeah, I'm a huge Max Lord fan so seeing how they screwed him up already has me on guard. Also, this will probably be his only film appearance, if certain rumors are to be believed, so once again they're likely taking one of the better DC characters and putting them to poor use before writing them out. Sad.

Cheetah design looks kinda cool.

I expect that the movie will be visually amazing but the story is probably junk. It sure sounds like junk. Huge chunks of it have already leaked out and man... I don't know.

If nothing else we can be sure it will LOOK amazing.
Yeah. I'd say maybe we can get an homage to the WW neck snap, BUT:

1) The massive plot leaks say nothing about it, and
2) I don't see Gal or Patty being okay with that idea AT ALL. Too dark, too violent.

Sigh. At least Cheetah looks somewhat intimidating.
Old 08-22-2020, 05:14 PM   #179
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Yeah, I'm a huge Max Lord fan
I don't know much about the character, but he seems like a huge departure from how he was portrayed in the Supergirl tv series - which I only suffered through up until I couldn't stand the "angry old white men" thing anymore from Jenna whateverhernameis.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 05:46 PM   #180
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Yeah. I'd say maybe we can get an homage to the WW neck snap, BUT:

1) The massive plot leaks say nothing about it, and
2) I don't see Gal or Patty being okay with that idea AT ALL. Too dark, too violent.

Sigh. At least Cheetah looks somewhat intimidating.
Lots of rumors I've seen actually imply that's more or less what happens, but apparently the ending is Super Top Secret. Which actually kind of implies that something to that effect does happen.

Spoiler:
Scuttlebutt says that she kills Max on-camera in front of the whole world, somehow, and this ties into why she was in hiding and inactive by the time BvS takes place. She had to retire in "disgrace" without any way to properly explain what she'd done or put it into context, so she retired as "Wonder Woman" to exist as regular "Diana Prince" instead.

That's the rumor, anyway. One of 'em.

I mean, she killed plenty of people in the first movie so I doubt it's the killing in general they'd lean away from. She might just not twist his head around. But I'd say it's at least 50/50 as to whether or not she kills him. Maybe more 70-30 "for".

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
I don't know much about the character, but he seems like a huge departure from how he was portrayed in the Supergirl tv series - which I only suffered through up until I couldn't stand the "angry old white men" thing anymore from Jenna whateverhernameis.
I think I only say his character in one episode of that show, but I wasn't too impressed with that I saw there, either. That show was terrible, so I didn't stick around for more.

This version seems very "In Name Only", which is a shame. He's a great character who could have been used to great effect if they'd bothered to do right by his actual characterization and give him a proper build. But I personally don't have high hopes for him in this. He's a much more important character than what they're using him as.

It feels like they just skimmed Wikipedia for "Wonder Woman Villains" and he seemed like a pretty big deal fairly-recently, so he got the nod. Meh.

Last edited by Leo656; 08-23-2020 at 01:15 AM.