The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 01-13-2016, 09:02 PM   #41
Bobby Curnow
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Was the low sales of the last two mini's (Mutanimals and April/Casey) the reason there is a long gap before the next mini? I remember you saying the Batman crossover wasn't the reason we won't have a new mini for a few months, so I'm curious.

Its disappointing the Mutanimals mini especially sold so little, I thought it was great! Would love to see more stories with Hob and the other Mutanimals.
Hmm, I don't recall saying the Batman crossover wasn't the reason for no current mini-series (but I could be misremembering). I think it was the main reason! It was supposed to start earlier too, so that's why there was a break between that and Casey/April.

Both Mutanimals and Casey/April, while not selling as much as say, Turtles in Time, sold perfectly healthy for an IDW book. So that wasn't a factor.

That being said, we also wanted time to prepare for some stuff coming up. If things go the way they are planned, we'll be making up for the draught of side-series set in the IDW universe.
Bobby Curnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 09:05 PM   #42
Bobby Curnow
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Hey Bobby, has IDW ever approached Peter Laird or Steve Murphy to write a guest issue for TMNT?
Peter, while always being polite and respectful to IDW, has made it clear in various ways that he's not interested in doing more TMNT currently (at least that's my interpretation), so I've never seriously approached him.

I think i've said in the past that I'd like to see Forever War finished, and I've talked to Murphy about that. It's something that keeps getting kicked down the road a bit, for various reasons. I'm still hopeful, but at the same time, I don't want to get anyone's hopes up.
Old 01-13-2016, 09:13 PM   #43
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Curnow View Post
Broadly speaking, we just look to see who would best serve the story we're trying to tell. Specifically, you'd have to ask Tom. I didn't remember them from the cartoon at all!

You'll be seeing more Dimension X in the future, though not for a while.
Thank you for the reply. You answered my follow up about the unpublished Forever War. I wondered if after all the series was reprinted and whatever rights have to be secured it would finally see print. I have been eaiting since 3rd grade for this.

I was hoping to see a glimpse of it while checking in on your namesake island.

Your active involvement in the story has me ask, the next time a oneshot within a micro-series is up, what about an issue written by you? I would like to to see what you would do directly as a writer.

Last edited by MikeandRaph87; 01-13-2016 at 09:55 PM.
MikeandRaph87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 09:42 PM   #44
mrmaczaps
Banned

Quote:
Yes on new artists. There's one i'm excited about I think maybe coming in after the Leatherhead arc.

I've got complicated thoughts on the Mirage crew. I'm a huge fan of all of them (the 30th Anniversary book was my big love letter to TMNT of the past), but i'm always hesitant to bring them on to the IDW book. Mostly i'd like for us to be blazing our own trail, at least artistically, and it's important to me that the book have it's own identity. That being said, anything is possible.

We've got something in the works that I hope will allow for a wide range of artists, and different types of stories.
Thank you for answering my questions.
mrmaczaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 09:46 PM   #45
PangolinFeets
Mad Scientist

Do you have a favorite panel or line of dialogue that you are particularly proud of? I know its a team effort, but I'm sure there are certain things that wouldn't have happened without your influence.
Can we get a Christmas issue next year???????
PangolinFeets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 10:10 PM   #46
Bobby Curnow
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
Thank you for the reply. You answered my follow up about the unpublished Forever War. I wondered if after all the series was reprinted and whatever rights have to be secured it would finally see print. I have been eaiting since 3rd grade for this.

I was hoping to see a glimpse of it while checking in on your namesake island.

Your active involvement in the story has me ask, the next time a oneshot within a micro-series is up, what about an issue written by you? I would like to to see what you would do directly as a writer.
I appreciate that! But i'm focused on my own projects and get lots of creative satisfaction from working with Tom on the plot... anything I did with TMNT would be a lot worse without him I think. But who knows, maybe one day.
Old 01-13-2016, 10:18 PM   #47
Bobby Curnow
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by PangolinFeets View Post
Do you have a favorite panel or line of dialogue that you are particularly proud of? I know its a team effort, but I'm sure there are certain things that wouldn't have happened without your influence.
Can we get a Christmas issue next year???????
Not really. Most of my contributions are big picture plot things, of which I am proud, but there aren't many small moments or panels. I think i've contributed less than 1% of the dialogue of the series, that's all Tom.

Oh! Herman the Hermit Crab. While his personality came from Tom, the idea of having a crab mutant that uses a dumpster for a shell was my idea. So I get a kick every time I see him. Also, objectively, I think Mateus did an astounding job on his design. The face, the dumpster arsenal, the helmet-- all fantastic and purely Mateus' inspiration.

Haven't thought about a Christmas issue, but maybe! Don't know that it would line up with the seasonal timeline of the series, though we always play pretty fast and loose with that.
Old 01-13-2016, 10:24 PM   #48
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Not really. Most of my contributions are big picture plot things, of which I am proud, but there aren't many small moments or panels. I think i've contributed less than 1% of the dialogue of the series, that's all Tom.

Oh! Herman the Hermit Crab. While his personality came from Tom, the idea of having a crab mutant that uses a dumpster for a shell was my idea. So I get a kick every time I see him. Also, objectively, I think Mateus did an astounding job on his design. The face, the dumpster arsenal, the helmet-- all fantastic and purely Mateus' inspiration.

Haven't thought about a Christmas issue, but maybe! Don't know that it would line up with the seasonal timeline of the series, though we always play pretty fast and loose with that.
So YOU'RE the guy responsible for my second-favorite IDW character!

Who came up with Old Hob (my absolute all-time favorite)? You, Tom, or Kevin?
Old 01-13-2016, 10:44 PM   #49
PangolinFeets
Mad Scientist

Quote:

Aha!! Herman is so cool!! So thank you for him.

I just love TMNT and Christmas. Variants are my favorite gifts. <3

Thank you for being a champ and answering all these.
Old 01-13-2016, 11:36 PM   #50
Panda_Kahn_fan
Mad Scientist

Love the book, Bobby! Couple of questions;

- Are any of the movie characters usable (Jordan Perry, Chief Sterns, Keno) in an altered form? Like Master Kahn from the 2003 series is basically Tatsu from the films.

-With Kitsune there, do the foot mystics exist in the IDW universe?

-and this is probably a dumb question, but..... Mona Lisa or Dragon Lord, any chance of seeing either of them in IDW?

Again, really love the book!

IDW is the best version of TMNT

If they make a TMNT reboot movie retelling the shredder battle/origin, I won't buy a ticket.
Panda_Kahn_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 11:39 PM   #51
Sophie Campbell
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Can I write and/or draw the Christmas/holiday issue?
Sophie Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 12:29 AM   #52
Ninjinister
無問題

Quote:
That would indeed be a question for Nickelodeon, and not something I could help too much with, i'm afraid. Thanks for your work on the wiki!

No plans for Tristan at the moment. Had fun seeing him in Australia last year, though!
Not the answers I'd hoped for, but the ones I'd assumed I'd get. Thanks for answering!

As an aside, I hope if Cudley does get used eventually, he ends up retaining the same "one Cudley throughout the multiverse" aspect instead of just being an "IDW Cudley". Or maybe there IS an IDW Cudley... and he ends up running into the other one at some point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophie Campbell View Post
I'd like to see that happen.
Old 01-14-2016, 01:52 AM   #53
CyberCubed
Overlord

I second all the support for a Christmas issue in this thread. It doesn't have to be part of the main ongoing, just a one-shot or mini or something. Since we're only in January you guys would have about 10 months to plan ahead a Christmas related story, it could be fun.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 03:46 AM   #54
member_removed
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmaczaps View Post
Are we going to have any new artists in the near future?

Any chance for any of the Mirage Era artists or guest cover artists to work on full issues?

Any chance for a Tales of series to allow for other artists to work within the IDW Universe?

I'd like to see Steve Lavigne, Jim Lawson, Rich Woodall, Ben Bishop, Sal Otero and a few others work on the Turtles. (Just to name a few...)
I think it would be fun to get those guys in to do an annual (if Kevin's, schedule allows him only time to do one annual every 2 years). Have a year on/year off rotation, Kevin/old school Mirage.

Quote:
Peter, while always being polite and respectful to IDW, has made it clear in various ways that he's not interested in doing more TMNT currently (at least that's my interpretation), so I've never seriously approached him.
I'd rather Pete focus whatever creative energies he has on Mirage Vol 4 anyway!!!

No, you take the ugly one!

I'll take the ugly one!

Which one's the ugly one?
member_removed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 05:27 AM   #55
PangolinFeets
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophie Campbell View Post
Old 01-14-2016, 06:53 AM   #56
Harukuro
Foot Soldier

Let me just start by saying that I love what you and Tom Waltz have done with Mikey in this comic. Most incarnations of TMNT place Mikey solely in the role of "comic relief" as opposed to giving him actual depth and character development. So thank you very much for that, especially since he's my favourite turtle.

As for my question: I have been curious about something for a while now. Back when Slash was going to inject himself with the psychotropic compound he cites Mikey as a reason for it because he wants to be a "hero" like Mikey. This emphasis on being a "hero", as well as his admiration for Mikey, is something that has consistently been present in Slash's character. But while I can see why Slash admires Mikey so much, I am not certain why he views the turtle as a "hero" specifically.

So my question basically is: why does Slash see Mikey as a hero, and when did this specific focus on being a "hero" begin?
"But before I go, I want you to know, Mikey, you have always been - and will always be - my hero. Farewell, my friend." - Slash (TMNT IDW #54)

Hoping that IDW Slash will finally be happy
Harukuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 07:30 AM   #57
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

I think I have a resolution to the above, what if we get a backup for the next December issue focused around the Holiday season? We only have the Michelangelo one-shot from all those years ago for a TMNT Christmas story and we could use another one. If only a short one. Campbell can do the art and guest writer and friendly neighborhood editor Bobby Curnow writes it?

On the subject of the ooze serum to enhance Slash's intellect why not do so for Pete? If there was only that one sample that is cool, but it feels like a plot hole as to why not make Pete take it as well in-story?
Old 01-14-2016, 07:59 AM   #58
turtlefanforever
Foot Elite

hmm

Any chance the TMNT will cross over with The Incredible Hulk?
turtlefanforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 08:11 AM   #59
Bobby Curnow
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
So YOU'RE the guy responsible for my second-favorite IDW character!

Who came up with Old Hob (my absolute all-time favorite)? You, Tom, or Kevin?
It was a long time ago, but I actually think Editor-in-Chief Chris Ryall came up with the idea of eye-patched cat as villain. I believe Tom named him. And obviously, gave him his personality.

I had virtually no story contribution the first year. If I recall, the first contributions I had were making Chet Fugitoid, wanting to explore the origins of the Foot in "Secret History" and making Leo the son of Saki, an idea that would morph into "City Fall", all stuff that came about at the end of our first year.
Old 01-14-2016, 08:16 AM   #60
Bobby Curnow
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda_Kahn_fan View Post
Love the book, Bobby! Couple of questions;

- Are any of the movie characters usable (Jordan Perry, Chief Sterns, Keno) in an altered form? Like Master Kahn from the 2003 series is basically Tatsu from the films.

-With Kitsune there, do the foot mystics exist in the IDW universe?

-and this is probably a dumb question, but..... Mona Lisa or Dragon Lord, any chance of seeing either of them in IDW?

Again, really love the book!
I'm not at the office right now and would double check, but i'm pretty sure the movie-specific characters are among the main ones we CANNOT use. Tatsu is out, but I imagine we could use Master Kahn.

We haven't seen Foot mystics, but they could exist. Basically a way of saying: "undetermined"!

No plans for Mona Lisa or Dragon Lord at this time. But understand this is the exact type of question I would respond to in this exact manner if we DID have some major surprise plans for those characters!

Tags
bobby curnow, idw, idw's tmnt, questions, tom waltz