The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Old 02-13-2018, 06:56 AM   #21
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Satoru Iwata died at age 55-56. It's not correct to say he died old. Especially considering how long Japanese people live.
Only in Okinawa.

To me, dying in your 50s is young since we have a longer life expectancy than that, so to me, Iwata passed young. Sad he couldn't beat his cancer, but that really seems to be a thing here...cancer.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 12:08 PM   #22
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjup81 View Post
Only in Okinawa.

To me, dying in your 50s is young since we have a longer life expectancy than that, so to me, Iwata passed young. Sad he couldn't beat his cancer, but that really seems to be a thing here...cancer.
Wait, Okinawans live longer on average than mainland Japanese? Is the difference that big, though?

Tbh I'm not sure how Japan manages to have such a high life expectancy average considering how stressful live in Japan seems to be. Plus they seem to like tobacco and alcohol. Perhaps their healthcare system is very good?

Cancer is sadly a big thing in the developed world. It probably kills more people than heart disease does nowadays. Everyone nowadays has a relative or two who eventually get cancer and/or die from it. Scary.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 12:36 PM   #23
Vegita-San
Emperor

write a memoir to inform people how not to fail at life by not following my example.

'Wrong, April. We've Been upgraded to Women hating TROLLS'

?The force is not female, the force is not male, the force is for everyone?
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 01:03 PM   #24
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
write a memoir to inform people how not to fail at life by not following my example.
That isn't too hard. Most people generally live normal lives.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 08:47 PM   #25
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Wait, Okinawans live longer on average than mainland Japanese? Is the difference that big, though?
Actually, I'm not too sure, but I heard that the traditional diet in Okinawa contributes to people living long there compared to other areas of Japan, but who knows if that's still the case. It wouldn't surprise me if the life expectancy of Japanese have dropped here, though, given that there are McDonald's, Hardees/Carl Jr.'s, Burger King, Mos Burger, etc. in parts of the country and more westernized foods becoming available here. Even the kids are bigger here now...maybe not like obese (there are some overweight kids, though), but they're getting taller. I'm about 5'9, I had a 6th grade boy that was about my height, which was a surprise, because he was maybe about 12. It was a sad place to visit, but I did got to the museum in Hiroshima. They showed victims and all that, as well as some clothing that was all tattered after the bomb dropped and info about the victim. The clothes were so small. I thought they were for maybe a young elementary-school girl or kids of that age, but they were from junior high/middle schoolers. They were SUPER short and small back then. The generations now are huge in comparison.

People here are also eating meat more as opposed to mostly fish and seafood like previous generations and the kids are exposed to more milk now compared to the previous generations. In a western style,
public schools serve it with their lunches everyday.

The convenient stores here also have their own brands of fried chicken you can buy as well as other unhealthy foods like that. The convenient stores here are great because you can actually buy things like fruits and vegetables and produce, but there are also the snacks and things and with easy access to it,
people, especially kids, buy it.
Quote:
Tbh I'm not sure how Japan manages to have such a high life expectancy average considering how stressful live in Japan seems to be. Plus they seem to like tobacco and alcohol. Perhaps their healthcare system is very good?
Probably diet and exercise. It's taken pretty seriously here. From preschool, they do things like sports days all the way up to high school...but as I mentioned above, it wouldn't surprise me if the life expectancy has dropped slightly since kids have more and easier access to junk foods and there are places around like McDonald's.

As to why they can probably have such a high expectancy, is probably due to the diet. Yes, it does seem that people may have their stress issues here, but...it wouldn't surprise me if stuff like that isn't taken into account when it comes to those types of statistics, since suicides are never a nice thing to think about (and I pray I never come across one again while here) and probably only focus on natural deaths. It's like the myth that Japan is a safe country due to its low crime rate. A lot of things are under reported here, ESPECIALLY rapes because of how poorly they deal with it. The country also has a 99% conviction rate, iirc, or something ridiculously high, because of how the police can coerce confessions out of people.

As for the healthcare here...it really does depend. Everyone pretty much has access to it here. There's the National Health Insurance that taxes help pay for and the company insurance you get through your employer, if offered.
IMO, I feel that Japanese people go to the doctor too much. Let's say I take a day off from work because I'm not feeling well. My employer would insist that I go to the doctor when I know all I need is rest and fluids or whatever.
I just feel it's a waste of time and money. Unless said problem lasts longer than a day, THEN I would consider it. Never had the issue back home because I think we Americans aren't that quick to go see one and know that we don't need a doctor for every little thing. I appreciate that I have access to some form of healthcare and insurance, but hate the fact that I'm always being told to go if I want to stay home for whatever reason.
Quote:
Cancer is sadly a big thing in the developed world. It probably kills more people than heart disease does nowadays. Everyone nowadays has a relative or two who eventually get cancer and/or die from it. Scary.
I don't think cancer is one of the major causes of death in the US, though. I think ours is mostly heart disease and diabetes. Yes, cancer is there too, but I always thought the other two were the higher reasons. I'm not sure, but cancer just seems to be the number one cause over here for deaths. I'm surprised that high blood pressure isn't a thing here...unless it is and I just don't know it.

Last edited by ssjup81; 02-14-2018 at 08:52 PM.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 03:38 PM   #26
CyberCubed
Overlord

Other than the usual (spend more time with family, etc), I'd probably just continue doing the same thing I'm doing now. Playing videogames and watching TV shows/movies/cartoons.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 11:22 PM   #27
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Other than the usual (spend more time with family, etc), I'd probably just continue doing the same thing I'm doing now. Playing videogames and watching TV shows/movies/cartoons.
Thanks for necro'ing this morbid thread of mine that I no longer remembered, my man.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 02:48 AM   #28
D-ray
Foot Soldier

I would start writing down a biography of my life and ideas while just enjoying the rest of the years.
Like, I would do EXACTLY what I do today, but I would ALSO write down things that are in my mind instead of expressing them throught more time-consuming arts.

Not because I need to be remembered, but because people could argue and think about what I thought.
I think history progresses with "dialectic", and even tho I might not change the world with my thought (not that I would care) I could change the one who got to know me, even just a little, even if he/she would consider me a bastard.

VICTORY!"
D-ray is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cybercubed is coming, speculation