The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Rise of the TMNT Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 11-04-2017, 02:46 PM   #1681
CyberCubed
Overlord

April was still in almost every episode of Seasons 9-10. He didn't replace her.
Old 11-04-2017, 02:51 PM   #1682
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Shredder has to be Japanese because he and the Foot Clan, and the entire Turtles origin, comes from Japan.
Nah, we're throwing everything out the window now and just bastardizing the heck out of the thing because that's how it's done these days for sake of making it new.

Shredder will now be a redneck from Arkansas who followed a bunch of mutated swamp Turtles to NYC to seek revenge because they kept stealing his crawdad bait (and some of the catch) back when they's wuz regular Turtles.

They's gots mutated from a mix of somethin' that leaked out of his junk pile... Some kinda gun oil that prob got mixed with some spilled Budweiser and other stuff.

No more martial arts now, just gun use from a over-aggrandized self proclaimed patriot and Turtle hater. (He'll have a mask, but it's different, basic, and fashioned out of an old pie pan.) Splinter is no longer there because, as reported in show description, "who cares, don't whine about it, it's new now." To ensure that no one mistakes the Turtles as part human, they will still be a normal turtle size, with vague resemblance to the 80s Turtles, but now wearing tiny 80s clothing.

Last edited by IndigoErth; 11-04-2017 at 03:03 PM.
Old 11-04-2017, 03:52 PM   #1683
CyberCubed
Overlord

Since the description of the show says the Turtles will be battling new mutants, my guess is this show might be just as mutant heavy as the Nick show was. They might start off introducing new mutants (like how Nick did with Snakeweed, Spiderbitez, Fishface, Dogpound, etc.), and then use old ones again like how Nick did as it progressed.

For the most part mutants are an easy sell for kids, as well as toys, so I can see why using mutants is easier than a bunch of human enemies. They'll probably create a bunch of new mutant designs at first, then they could either re-use some Nick-era mutants or the classic ones.
Old 11-04-2017, 04:29 PM   #1684
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
No more martial arts now, just gun use from a over-aggrandized self proclaimed patriot and Turtle hater. (He'll have a mask, but it's different, basic, and fashioned out of an old pie pan.) Splinter is no longer there because, as reported in show description, "who cares, don't whine about it, it's new now." To ensure that no one mistakes the Turtles as part human, they will still be a normal turtle size, with vague resemblance to the 80s Turtles, but now wearing tiny 80s clothing.
Now I kinda want to see a TMNT incarnation where guns and modern military tactics are used instead of martial arts and ninjutsu. Maybe make Leo the generic assualt rifle guy, Raph a heavy weapons user, Donatello the demolition man/ combat engineer and Mikey the the sniper. Or hell maybe make it a weird wild west theme series where we see some badass gunslinging ala East of West

Last edited by PApagreg; 11-04-2017 at 04:42 PM.
Old 11-04-2017, 04:48 PM   #1685
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetofGanja View Post
Very good point. White-washing has been so rampant in show biz, I'm glad shows are finally starting to move away from that.
April's not a case of white-washing.
Old 11-04-2017, 04:53 PM   #1686
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
April's not a case of white-washing.
I never said it was, although one could make the case that it is based on Eastman's original character design, but I'm not well-versed enough in the knowledge of the early days of TMNT to say.

In any case I'm all the more intrigued about this show with this new information we've got.
Old 11-04-2017, 06:07 PM   #1687
sdp
-

I did my homework and it seems April was always meant to be white since she apparently appeared in color as white before she got her perm job which is cited as the reason of why she's black. If she's anything like his ex-girlfriend then April should be latina and not black.

It's definitely unnecessary and being done to be more "diverse" but it's always the wrong decision to change an established characters race for the sake of it instead of using a new character or making another character relevant, in this case Carter instead of April.

Now if this April proves to be better than say Nick April which I hated then I won't mind that she's black as long as she's a good character. The problem is when SJW will call you racist when they don't even know any better. The only reason this isn't a big controversy is because they decided to make the dumb decision of making Raphael, the turtle who usually gets the most attention the leader of the group. The race thing may or may not prove to be a horrible decision but Raph as leader we already know it's a horrible decision so of course it's the main thing being discussed.

In reality all the pages this thread accumulated over the news may end up looking ridiculous once the show airs and we have more info to work with, but until then, let's do what fandom forums are meant to do and have some rampant speculation.
Old 11-04-2017, 06:16 PM   #1688
Vegita-San
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
I did my homework and it seems April was always meant to be white since she apparently appeared in color as white before she got her perm job which is cited as the reason of why she's black. If she's anything like his ex-girlfriend then April should be latina and not black.
Yep. but, why let facts get in the way?

but, as I Said before, aprils design was the most open to interpretation in the earlier issues. and even colored black in one...but it does seem she was originally meant to be white straight out.

i'd go further on this issue, but we are already sketching off into off limit areas. So I'll just leave it as, changing the race of any character will fundamentally change who they are. just like it would in real life. doesn't matter what race they start out as. So saying one matters more than the other is SJW territory.

if someone was white, keep them white. if they where japanese, keep them japanese. don't make the ancient one from Japanese to white just to appease an unfriendly country. Keep them as they where.

If you let people do that, sooner or later we'll get alien turtles from the planet Binky, who are colored Blue. Just because.
Old 11-04-2017, 06:21 PM   #1689
CyberCubed
Overlord

Personality wise I expect April to be similar to Nick's April, especially if she's younger again. I'd like a street smart April who is also sarcastic and can think for herself. I hope they leave out the psychic powers or any special abilities though, I don't even want this April to be a fighter.

Otherwise Nick's April was a good starting point, we'll see where this one goes.
Old 11-04-2017, 06:29 PM   #1690
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

Quote:
April looked like this at one point so its hard to point out what she is ment to look like.
Old 11-04-2017, 06:43 PM   #1691
sdp
-

What if the turtles all wear red bandannas? They seem to have warmed up to that more over the years, would Playmates let them? Would Andrew watch it?
Old 11-04-2017, 06:45 PM   #1692
CyberCubed
Overlord

Man, type in "black April O'Neil" in deviantart and you find lots of stuff from decades ago.
Old 11-04-2017, 06:47 PM   #1693
syk_skillz
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Wasn't she mixed with Black & Latino? At least I thought that what I read a long time ago.
Old 11-04-2017, 06:49 PM   #1694
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

But guys, wouldn't she be affected by this whole multiverse thing though too, and therefor she's all of the above?

Depending which universe you're in.

This April is probably the one part I'm a little curious about in a positive way. I'd miss traditional April a little, I guess, but not overly attached to the character so I'm open to changing her up a bit like this or however. Though I'm still expecting April to be very Aprilish still. A change of flesh is nothing compared to what they're doing to the Turtles.

Although god only knows what the art style will even be. All this cute fan art, but Nick's take for the whole show might be ridiculous looking and not even close to the fan art. (Anyone for an attempt at April in the style of that Donnie? lol)

But at this point, you know what... just let it look like that Donnie art. If the whole thing just looks ridiculous, then at least some of their absurd ideas can't even be taken seriously. Shame as that is.

Last edited by IndigoErth; 11-04-2017 at 06:58 PM.
Old 11-04-2017, 09:24 PM   #1695
Leolead
Stone Warrior

Honestly, I don't care about April's race as she looked racially ambiguous in early Mirage comics & Kat Graham's playing the part. <3

Raph being the leader is a much bigger problem.
Old 11-04-2017, 09:50 PM   #1696
CyberCubed
Overlord

I'm sure Raph will only be the leader for an arc, possibly till the end of Season 1, till he steps down and Leonardo grows into the leader. We're going to see a Leo who *earns* his place as a leader for the first time.

It's rather great character development.
Old 11-04-2017, 10:12 PM   #1697
Bry
So Long, Stinktown!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetofGanja View Post
April being a white, Irish redhead has no real bearing on the plot. She's just someone that the audience can relate to, more so than four teenage mutant ninja turtles.
Exactly. She was initially drawn as pretty indistinct in general, the black-and-white art adding to the fact that the colour of her skin or hair didn't matter one bit. When she was coloured on covers and reprints, her hair was generally brown, or sometimes auburn, until the cartoons increasingly played into the Irish surname and firmly established her a white redhead. (And heck, the 2003 version's hair was a pretty unnatural-looking shade, nearly magenta, at that.)

But it's never, ever been integral to the character to be depicted as a white redhead.
Old 11-04-2017, 10:25 PM   #1698
CyberCubed
Overlord

The funniest part of it all is April was usually depicted as a brunette in most universes, like the original cartoon, Archie and the original movie trilogy especially movies 2 and 3.

It was the 2k3 series that made redhead April canon, and the new standard going forward. After that the 4th movie from 2007, Nick and IDW all kept redhead April.
Old 11-04-2017, 10:33 PM   #1699
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

I don't mind any of these changes, but I think people who keep parroting "Raphael will probably be leader temporarily! Leonardo will eventually be leader!" are only setting themselves up for disappointment.

"Dogpound double mutated! This opens up a world of possibilities!"

"Dark Leo is gonna be awesome and last for MULTIPLE EPISODES!"

"The spirit arc is gonna be great! One episode for each turtle!"
Old 11-04-2017, 10:34 PM   #1700
sdp
-

That's not true at all.

The OT based April's look off of Mirage #2 and that became the template for most spin-offs during that time. If you take a look at Mirage #2, it's definitely reddish though I guess you can argue it's brunette. The OTs color is a color that's also a bit open to interpretation from dirty blonde like in the first movie to more brunette to reddish which is why it works with the spin-offs having those variations. I mean Archie April started based on the OT and by the end of the run her hair was red.

Closed Thread

Tags
2018, rise of the tmnt, speculation, we're crimefighters