The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

View Poll Results: What's the age of your average TMNT fan?
13 or younger 2 1.74%
14-16 4 3.48%
17-19 10 8.70%
20-23 9 7.83%
24-26 14 12.17%
27-29 21 18.26%
30-35 41 35.65%
35-40 11 9.57%
40-50 2 1.74%
50+ 1 0.87%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-22-2015, 06:47 PM   #81
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
You definitely feel more mature than 18-21 year olds but you're still not in that phase where you truly feel like an adult, or at least I didn't. I didn't start to feel that way until I got my first full-time job.
Oh you mean like feeling mature as people of our parents' age? Like middle aged people? Obviously not, since they have more life experience and most of them are parents and grandparents by now.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 06:50 PM   #82
Huzzah
Mad Scientist

I'm either 31 or 32, I can't recall. As of June I'll have my first child, I'm hoping I can shape her into a little Turtle fan.
Huzzah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 06:50 PM   #83
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Oh you mean like feeling mature as people of our parents' age? Like middle aged people? Obviously not, since they have more life experience and most of them are parents and grandparents by now.
Nah, even among people at the same age. At my last job a lot of the workers were actually younger than me as they were only around 22-23 years old yet most of them were married and had their own kids already. So they talked and acted mature like young fathers would. I know when I was 22 I certainly wasn't like that, I just felt like an "older teenager" at that point.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 06:52 PM   #84
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill

Oh dude. When I worked at Dairy Queen most of the girls I worked with were between 16 and 22... younger than me, but many of them were married and/or had kids. It was so, so strange.

Especially since they generally treated me like I was younger than them.
Old 04-22-2015, 07:04 PM   #85
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Nah, even among people at the same age. At my last job a lot of the workers were actually younger than me as they were only around 22-23 years old yet most of them were married and had their own kids already. So they talked and acted mature like young fathers would. I know when I was 22 I certainly wasn't like that, I just felt like an "older teenager" at that point.
Oh, well I certainly feel there's a big gap between me and people aged 25-30, even if they aren't married nor have kids yet. And ye, I know some people younger than me who certainly look and act older and more mature. It depends on people's life experiences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netkeeper View Post
Oh dude. When I worked at Dairy Queen most of the girls I worked with were between 16 and 22... younger than me, but many of them were married and/or had kids. It was so, so strange.

Especially since they generally treated me like I was younger than them.
If those girls were only 16-22 and were already married and had kids, then they probably weren't as mature as you think. At least not when they got pregnant. They probably had to mature pretty fast once they got a kid, though.

Man, it's odd to see people younger than me married and with kids already. Whenever I feel unhappy with my life I eventually tell myself "at least you're not a father like many guys your age and even younger already are". Then again, people who have kids that early and get married that early often tend to be from the ghetto. Middle class folk aren't parents that early for the most part.

Also, it's kinda odd and depressing watching professional athletes younger than me and already making more money in a year than I'll ever make in a lifetime. Kinda makes you look yourself in the mirror and ask "what have I accomplished in my life?". Meh
Old 04-22-2015, 07:10 PM   #86
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:

Also, it's kinda odd and depressing watching professional athletes younger than me and already making more money in a year than I'll ever make in a lifetime. Kinda makes you look yourself in the mirror and ask "what have I accomplished in my life?". Meh
I don't think that matters, any famous person is going to make more money than your average joe in a lifetime.
Old 04-22-2015, 07:12 PM   #87
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
I don't think that matters, any famous person is going to make more money than your average joe in a lifetime.
Well yeah, but it's not something that makes me lose sleep at night or anything. It's just something that makes me wonder for a few seconds and then I move on.

As for feeling like an "older teenager", I felt like that between 20 and 22. I had my first job at the time back then and felt like a kid in a grown up world.
Old 04-22-2015, 07:16 PM   #88
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
As for feeling like an "older teenager", I felt like that between 20 and 22. I had my first job at the time back then and felt like a kid in a grown up world.
You also feel that way when your boss/supervisor or co-workers treat you like a little kid. Since I look a lot younger than I am everyone assumed I was only 20-22 years old yet I'm in my late 20's. And they were talking to me like I was some young kid who just got out of High School, and yet I was older than most of them.
Old 04-22-2015, 07:20 PM   #89
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
You also feel that way when your boss/supervisor or co-workers treat you like a little kid. Since I look a lot younger than I am everyone assumed I was only 20-22 years old yet I'm in my late 20's. And they were talking to me like I was some young kid who just got out of High School, and yet I was older than most of them.
I honestly never felt that way. At least the first company I worked for had quite an informal environment. You see, you guys in the "English" language don't have a formal form for "you", while in languages like Portuguese(mine), French, German and others there are two forms of singular "you". A formal and an informal one. Anyway, they addressed me by the informal form of "you"... and also insisted I addressed them that way. It's odd for a 20 year old to address people in their late 20s/early 30s so informally like that, even though they were my co-workers. I never got used to that and kept using the formal form to address them.

It was a pretty pressuring since I was now being viewed as an adult and not treated like a kid any longer. Just a couple of years before, I was being treated like a child in HS by teachers, and now I was in the real world. It was a bit overwhelming at first since I still was quite immature and felt like I was a kid intruder among adults.
Old 04-23-2015, 05:31 AM   #90
Ninturtle
Mad Scientist

When I'm in my high school I often feel like I've matured faster than them as I behave and am respectful to my teachers.I usually have conversations with one of my teachers and he often tells me it's good to talk to a normal human being after dealing with high school kids all day. I haven't had a job (because I'm 15 and you need to be 16 to work where I live) but I feel like I'd do well as I have a good work ethic.
Ninturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 02:13 PM   #91
Lisardo
Stone Warrior

Quote:
You aren't kidding. My 20's seemed to go by a lot faster than my teen years. I have less than a year left.
Meh, I prefer my 30s sofar over my 20s. 20s was too confusing/depressing of a time. Teen years...BAH on that too! Anywayz...

Lisardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 03:04 PM   #92
kelligrafie
Stone Warrior

Being born in 1987 I straddle the back end of the 80's and most of the 90's leading into the 00's. It can be a bit awkward, I sort of feel like I don't belong to any one decade, or generation even. I feel like I'm wedged between two generations.

Although I have a better memory of 90's stuff, I feel I identify more strongly with the 80's, even if those memories, cartoons, music etc are a bit hazier when I try to remember them.
Old 04-24-2015, 11:18 PM   #93
CyberCubed
Overlord

Over 65% of the people who voted on the poll are in their late 20's to mid 30's and above.

Our fandom is OLD. I feel like we're like the Star Wars and Star Trek fandoms now where we're old enough to be the parents of the younger generation.

Last edited by CyberCubed; 04-25-2015 at 12:00 AM.
Old 04-24-2015, 11:49 PM   #94
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill

Won't be long before that's the case, yeah. I like that, though. I'd have killed to be in a fandom along with my parents. Those Doctor Who and Star Trek kids have it good.
Old 04-25-2015, 12:00 AM   #95
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Won't be long before that's the case, yeah. I like that, though. I'd have killed to be in a fandom along with my parents. Those Doctor Who and Star Trek kids have it good.
The Pokemon fandom is pretty old too, especially the original kids who grew up with the first generation. Pokemon is 18 years old now, and even if you were 10-12 back in 1998 you'd be nearly 30 now.

Its actually hard to believe Pokemon is nearly 20 years old. Its like a franchise you feel that started only a few years ago or something.
Old 04-25-2015, 12:03 AM   #96
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill

Yeah, that's another one creeping in when it comes to the age factor. Too bad I'll never have kids, but I suppose that might be a good thing because it'd honestly crush me if they didn't have an interest in my fandom ********. :V
Old 04-25-2015, 12:07 AM   #97
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Yeah, that's another one creeping in when it comes to the age factor. Too bad I'll never have kids, but I suppose that might be a good thing because it'd honestly crush me if they didn't have an interest in my fandom ********. :V
Most kids tend to get into the same thing, especially with franchises that go on indefinitely. I mean the kids born today are just getting into stuff like Batman, X-men, Star Wars, Dragonball Z, and that's all stuff both our generation and the generations before us liked.

There are just those overly popular franchises that will always be around.
Old 04-25-2015, 12:10 AM   #98
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill

True, but it doesn't mean it'll be every single kid's thing. I grew up hating some old franchises.
Old 04-25-2015, 12:13 AM   #99
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
True, but it doesn't mean it'll be every single kid's thing. I grew up hating some old franchises.
I don't like every franchise either, (I never liked or got into Transformers for example), but its just another one of those overly popular franchises that a new generation of kids get into all the time.

Its especially notable how some franchises/shows just kind of fade away when they end, and yet other franchises keep coming back with new shows or revivals or remakes and so forth.
Old 04-25-2015, 06:41 AM   #100
Jephael
That whack job behind you

Quote:
I grew up hating some old franchises.
Same here. I never cared much for G.I. Joe or Transformers, and I didn't get into Star Wars until the prequels came out back in '99.

www.jephael.com
Jephael is offline   Reply With Quote