The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Old 01-23-2018, 01:28 AM   #1
Prowler
Emperor

What would you say is/are your favourite video game companies?

Like if you had to make a top 3 or 5, what would it look like?

My number 1 favourite is Nintendo. I've owned more consoels by Nintendo than by any other company, and ofc their consoles gave me my best gaming memories and you gotta love Mario, Pokémon and Zelda. Also F-Zero, Star Fox(first 2 games) and Smash Bros.

In 2nd place I'd put Capcom. Street Fighter is my all-time favourite traditional fighting series and I also love the Mega Man series. Phoenix Wright is also fun. And good lord do Capcom games have great OSTs!

In 3rd place... I'd say Sega. I have a soft spot for the Mega Drive Sonic games and now Sonic Mania as well. Plus I also had a Mega Drive and a Saturn when I was a kid and had great moments on both consoles, mainly Saturn while playing arcade ports of 90s Sega games such as Daytona USA, Sega Rally, Virtua Fighter 2, Virtua Cop, etc. Also, despite being developed by Sports Interactive, Sega does own the Football manager series, which is a huge time sinker and every soccer fan's wet dream when it comes to coaching/managing!

Honorable mention to Konami for the great childhood memories of playing TMNT games and ISS/PES games. I'd also like to give Rare an honorable mention for the great memories of playing Donkey Kong Country and their N64 exclusive titles back in the late 90s/early 2000s, but I haven't played any of their modern games, so it's a distant honorable mention.

What about you?
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 02:38 PM   #2
Ninjinister
無問題

I used to think of WayForward as being my top favorite and I was willing to play some games they'd made that were even based on properties that I dislike just because they're still good games. But then they made more than a few that were just... not good at all. They've still been able to make some straight fire like Half-Genie Hero... all of the Shantae series is still good, and I really like Ducktales Remastered. But some of their stuff seems to have been shunted off to a "B" team.

Capcom has lost their good will with me. The way they've treated their fighting games in the last decade has been declining. Resident Evil 7 was cool and I'm glad Mega Man 11 won't just be 8-bit retread again... but to just s**t all over one of their biggest moneymakers (especially with "eSports" being a thing) and expect it to still be palpable. I mean at this point I would even prefer no fighting games from them because at least I wouldn't have to watch a corpse decompose.

I guess Nintendo might be my actual favorite now. They do have a lot of things I didn't like but it's a matter of output. And what they do make that I like, I really, really like. Plus the Switch is just so damn awesome.

NetherRealm is doing pretty darn good. I have liked their console output since they became as they are today. Some of their mobile stuff was okayish, but then they pulled support for my device without warning or explanation. While I understand there may be multiple factors behind why they did, they dropped the ball on communication.
Old 01-23-2018, 02:41 PM   #3
The Deadman
Foot Elite

Top 3?

1. Nintendo
2. Sega
3. Sony

Last Movie Watched: Hell House LLC (2015).
Last TV Show Watched: Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog (S1:E29).
The Deadman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 02:44 PM   #4
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

All of the good ones have been bought out by EA and gutted.

Rockstar, I guess? But they've gone too corporate. All the single-player stuff they promised for GTAV was abandoned so they could focus on their GTA Online stuff. Rocksteady? They've made 3 good games in a row. Square-Enix? They've come so far away from the kind of games I love these days, they're a dim shadow of what they once were. Capcom? A joke, their business model still like they're stuck in 1992.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 03:37 PM   #5
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Like if you had to make a top 3 or 5, what would it look like?

My number 1 favourite is Nintendo. I've owned more consoels by Nintendo than by any other company, and ofc their consoles gave me my best gaming memories and you gotta love Mario, Pokémon and Zelda. Also F-Zero, Star Fox(first 2 games) and Smash Bros.

In 2nd place I'd put Capcom. Street Fighter is my all-time favourite traditional fighting series and I also love the Mega Man series. Phoenix Wright is also fun. And good lord do Capcom games have great OSTs!

In 3rd place... I'd say Sega. I have a soft spot for the Mega Drive Sonic games and now Sonic Mania as well. Plus I also had a Mega Drive and a Saturn when I was a kid and had great moments on both consoles, mainly Saturn while playing arcade ports of 90s Sega games such as Daytona USA, Sega Rally, Virtua Fighter 2, Virtua Cop, etc. Also, despite being developed by Sports Interactive, Sega does own the Football manager series, which is a huge time sinker and every soccer fan's wet dream when it comes to coaching/managing!

Honorable mention to Konami for the great childhood memories of playing TMNT games and ISS/PES games. I'd also like to give Rare an honorable mention for the great memories of playing Donkey Kong Country and their N64 exclusive titles back in the late 90s/early 2000s, but I haven't played any of their modern games, so it's a distant honorable mention.

What about you?
Pretty much the same companies except Konami. After the horrendous way they treated Hideo Kojima (Metal Gear Solid) & Silent Hill series (turning them into pachinko machine franchise instead of good game series) they can rot.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 03:45 PM   #6
Wesley
Mad Scientist

Off the top of my head

1. Nintendo
2. Sega
3. Konami
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 04:51 PM   #7
Prowler
Emperor

Konami and Capcom certainly have made soem stupid and questionable decisions lately, but I've played a lot of their games in my life and love several of them.

As for Mega Man... I'm not particularly excited for Mega Man 11. You know what I'd like to see? a Mega Man X series revival of some sort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
All of the good ones have been bought out by EA and gutted.
Maxis, man. I used to love Sim City when I was a kid
Old 01-23-2018, 11:55 PM   #8
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Yes, sign me up in the Nintendo only camp.

Wayforward was also a company I used to swear by but I pretty much agree with Ninjister's take on the company.

When I was a kid or I'm playing retro games I automatically know anything Capcom is going to be fantastic, but starting with the 2000's not so much and nowadays you definitely have to see before you buy.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 01:40 AM   #9
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjinister View Post
I used to think of WayForward as being my top favorite and I was willing to play some games they'd made that were even based on properties that I dislike just because they're still good games. But then they made more than a few that were just... not good at all. They've still been able to make some straight fire like Half-Genie Hero... all of the Shantae series is still good, and I really like Ducktales Remastered. But some of their stuff seems to have been shunted off to a "B" team.

Capcom has lost their good will with me. The way they've treated their fighting games in the last decade has been declining. Resident Evil 7 was cool and I'm glad Mega Man 11 won't just be 8-bit retread again... but to just s**t all over one of their biggest moneymakers (especially with "eSports" being a thing) and expect it to still be palpable. I mean at this point I would even prefer no fighting games from them because at least I wouldn't have to watch a corpse decompose.

I guess Nintendo might be my actual favorite now. They do have a lot of things I didn't like but it's a matter of output. And what they do make that I like, I really, really like. Plus the Switch is just so damn awesome.

NetherRealm is doing pretty darn good. I have liked their console output since they became as they are today. Some of their mobile stuff was okayish, but then they pulled support for my device without warning or explanation. While I understand there may be multiple factors behind why they did, they dropped the ball on communication.
I thought Capcom wasn't gonna make a bunch of different versions of SFV? Yet Arcade Edition is coming/came out? Guess I gotta wait 3-4 years to finally buy SFV

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
Yes, sign me up in the Nintendo only camp.

Wayforward was also a company I used to swear by but I pretty much agree with Ninjister's take on the company.

When I was a kid or I'm playing retro games I automatically know anything Capcom is going to be fantastic, but starting with the 2000's not so much and nowadays you definitely have to see before you buy.
Yeah Capcom has a ton of classics form the 80s and 90s. Even games you don't expect to be great turn out to be hidden gems. Like Aladdin for example. Genesis' version by Virgin is considered a better game overall, but the SNES version by Capcom is a pretty solid licensed game. I had a ton of fun with that game when I was a kid.
Old 01-24-2018, 02:15 AM   #10
Ninjinister
無問題

Quote:
I thought Capcom wasn't gonna make a bunch of different versions of SFV? Yet Arcade Edition is coming/came out? Guess I gotta wait 3-4 years to finally buy SFV
It's not a different version. Outside of the characters and costumes and such all of the stuff between 5 and AE are free updates. You can't even PLAY vanilla 5 right now. In fact, the AE disc literally just has 5 on it. This is like MKX to MKXL, not like SF4 to SSF4. Or close anyway... If you buy the disc of AE they let you download season 1 and 2 characters but if you just had vanilla and it gave you the mandatory update you don't. And either way you have to buy Season 3.

But right now is pretty much what the game should have been at launch.
Old 01-24-2018, 10:26 AM   #11
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Like I said... Capcom is still running a 1992 business model. They have no idea it's 2018.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 10:56 AM   #12
Spike Spiegel
See You Next Mission

My favorite video game company/developer is probably Nintendo, as I am a big fan of Legend of Zelda and Metroid. I've always thought Super Mario Bros. was overrated, though.

I guess it would be ATLUS after that, followed by Capcom and 1990s era Konami.

I used to like WayForward a lot more, too...I wasn't all that impressed with the last Shantae they released on 3DS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
Mirage [is]...a comic about life and how life and the people closest to you just absolutely suck sometimes. It's "adult" in a very real sense, in that it deals with heavy themes that resonate more with adults, not that it's full of blood and titties or whatever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
[TMNT 1990 director Steve] Barron recognized the early Mirage issues as perfect storyboards. It's a shame no other filmmaker has.
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 11:42 AM   #13
TMNT_Guy
Stone Warrior

I don't really have a favorite anymore, either they've stopped making quality games I care about or they've made some morally questionable business decisions that make me feel uncomfortable. I think it's better to just appreciate games on an individual basis rather then a developer basis.

Though if I had to pick a favorite it would be Rareware- the Rareware from 1991 to 2001 anyway.
Old 01-24-2018, 12:55 PM   #14
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Nintendo and Sega definitely! They were both a big part of my childhood. I'd probably go with Sony next.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMNT_Guy View Post
Though if I had to pick a favorite it would be Rareware- the Rareware from 1991 to 2001 anyway.
Do you have any hope for Sea of Thieves? Both in interest and sales-wise?
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 04:29 PM   #15
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

It used to be Konami, for all original TMNT games.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 04:32 PM   #16
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

Well seeing how other people mostly listed Nintendo and Sony I'm going to name some different publishers.

Bethesda- Now hear me out, yeah while their products range from above average to crap but I do think they are much better when it comes to publishing games. I really enjoyed Wolfenstein, Doom and the Dishonored series and I had a fun time playing the Evil within. So TLDR medicore developer but could publisher.

Devolver Digital- Pretty much the premier company for indie or Double A games, I enjoyed Hotline Miami, Ruiner, Shadow Warrior, and Heavy Bullets, yeah I know they are more of a publisher than a developer but i enjoy what they publish
Old 01-24-2018, 05:52 PM   #17
TMNT_Guy
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeotheLateBloomer View Post
Do you have any hope for Sea of Thieves? Both in interest and sales-wise?
Eh, not really. It's just not my kind of game, the only pirate game I'd be interested in would be a new Monkey Island game.

From the grand total of two videos I've seen it's basically a first person World of Warcraft with a pirate theme. It doesn't even look like a game from Rare(ware) both in terms of art and gameplay, it looks more like one of those experimental indie games like Subnautica or The Forest that you never buy but instead watch other people play on Twitch or Youtube every now and again. I'm sure it'll be popular enough.

Though the gaming cynic in me that this industry has turned me into can't help but roll his eyes over number 8 on their "Official Top 10 Things You Need To Know About Sea of Thieves... So Far" video. It's like they struggled to actually come up with 10 things so they just used the nostalgia card. But it's fitting in some way because that is all Rare(ware) is to me now; a nostalgic memory of my past.
Old 01-24-2018, 09:30 PM   #18
Prowler
Emperor

As far a publishers go, 2k seems pretty alright. I've enjoyed the few games I played that were published by them.