The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Nick TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Old 09-24-2017, 10:35 AM   #241
Sabacooza
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarris Vaal View Post
I think it speaks volumes as to how well this arc works as a finale that so many fans are trying to find reasons why its an Alternate universe, or altered timeline, etc.

Its a shame, because I actually really like the future arc - its a cool setting and the elder characters were mostly pretty good (not sold on Leo). But it just doesn't work well as a finale because there's almost no sense of closure to it.

It almost feels more like a pilot arc to launch a new series in the new setting.

Its also a shame that the set up for how they got to the new setting is almost more interesting than the plot for the Future arc itself. The mutagen bomb would have been a much better opening episode of its own to start the arc off, and then move into the future arc afterwards. At least we would have got more closure on the support cast and questions like why Don is a robot, and why Raph has Casey's skull (I actually quite liked the use for his skull personally, I thought it was something Casey would have appreciated - but I would like to know why Raph ever thought that was a good idea).
I don't hate it. I just think it's so bleak and it happened so abruptly that it's hard to adjust going from a more fun happier setting when they're teenagers to something totally the opposite.

This does seem like it could be a pilot for another series. I wouldn't mind this at least continuing as a comic book series and also filling in the gaps previously.

As for Raph holding onto Casey's skull it is kind of morbid to hold onto something like that but maybe it was a way to keep Casey close to him. Maybe to keep him from forgetting about someone he grew to be really close to prior. The poor guy after all has memory issues. He could've been hanging onto it hoping to give Casey his moment of glory by using his skull as a bomb. Oddly enough, I can see Casey being up for this as a dying request

Last edited by Sabacooza; 09-24-2017 at 10:45 AM.
Sabacooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 10:40 AM   #242
Kit31
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashwolf View Post
Well..... i have 2 take back wat i said about the continuity since leo actually does have both swords, unless thats a tanto.....

Hmmmmm...I have no idea what that is. He's never carried one of those on him before. In his old set, he had that hidden blade in the handle (as shown in "The Invasion, Pt 1"), but I never saw that with his 'current' set.

Last edited by Kit31; 09-24-2017 at 10:45 AM.
Kit31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 10:52 AM   #243
newfan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
I don't hate it. I just think it's so bleak and it happened so abruptly that it's hard to adjust going from a more fun happier setting when they're teenagers to something totally the opposite.

This does seem like it could be a pilot for another series. I wouldn't mind this at least continuing as a comic book series and also filling in the gaps previously.

As for Raph holding onto Casey's skull it is kind of morbid to hold onto something like that but maybe it was a way to keep Casey close to him. Maybe to keep him from forgetting about someone he grew to be really close to prior. The poor guy after all has memory issues.
It was kind of sad watching an earlier episode afterwards and thinking we know what happens to them very shortly after these adventures, could have at least happened a bit later so there were less years of apocalyptic misery for them.

I liked the arc as in that it was well done and if it were an alternative reality I would have thought 'what a good story, glad that didn't happen though cause that would be an awful end for everything!'

Not sure what to make of Casey's skull either, trying to imagine a conversation where Casey indicated that it's what he would want...but I can't see anyone saying that

Last edited by newfan; 09-24-2017 at 11:00 AM.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 11:07 AM   #244
ToTheNines
[sic]

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfan View Post
It was kind of sad watching an earlier episode afterwards and thinking we know what happens to them very shortly after these adventures, could have at least happened a bit later so there were less years of apocalyptic misery for them.
They never said that the world has been like that for 50 years, just that it's 50 years in the future.

Personally, I like to believe that they went on plenty of adventures and had relatively happy lives for a while after the FW crossover and Usagi episodes, and that the mutagen bomb incident didn't happen until their late 20's/early 30's.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 11:09 AM   #245
newfan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
They never said that the world has been like that for 50 years, just that it's 50 years in the future.

Personally, I like to believe that they went on plenty of adventures and had relatively happy lives for a while after the FW crossover and Usagi episodes, and that the mutagen bomb incident didn't happen until their late 20's/early 30's.
I thought this too but I think someone who worked on the series said it happened while they were still young, course young is still 20s and early 30s, so maybe, I would prefer to think that.
Old 09-24-2017, 11:15 AM   #246
asfaloth12
Thug

Quote:
I liked the arc as in that it was well done and if it were an alternative reality I would have thought 'what a good story, glad that didn't happen though cause that would be an awful end for everything!'
That's pretty much how I'm viewing it, as an alternate reality . Or a weird, elaborate dream. It had some parts that were quite moving, but a few flaws and things that didn't make sense to me.
For me, it was the weakest arc of the season, and one of the weakest of the series.
I'm glad there are people who enjoyed it, though. And if they want to view at as part of the main canon storyline, and/or it works for them as the series finale, then more power to them. To each their own
Old 09-24-2017, 11:44 AM   #247
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allio View Post
"plot amnesia" sounds like Nick TMNT in a nutshell
The only "plot amnesia" is fans themselves making up stuff and being disappointed by it. For example people kept thinking April's mother needed to be found. Both Ciro and Brandon confirmed April's mother was dead long before she was cloned. I even rewatched the episode to be sure and there was no indication she was alive.

Mutagen Man is something the writers just seemingly stopped caring about, but at least they showed his container in this episode. And his container was always in the lair every episode.

Besides that, all the major characters in the show were pretty much wrapped up and had their closure, not even counting this 50 year timeskip. The only thing I would have done is shown what happened with Fugitoid, but that's about it.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 12:01 PM   #248
ToTheNines
[sic]

Quote:
I thought this too but I think someone who worked on the series said it happened while they were still young, course young is still 20s and early 30s, so maybe, I would prefer to think that.
Good point. By my count, the guys were 29 in Mirage when the Utroms revealed them selves and everything started going to hell. So my current headcanon is that's how old they were in the Nick universe before their apocalypse happened.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 12:22 PM   #249
Allio
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
The only "plot amnesia" is fans themselves making up stuff and being disappointed by it. For example people kept thinking April's mother needed to be found. Both Ciro and Brandon confirmed April's mother was dead long before she was cloned. I even rewatched the episode to be sure and there was no indication she was alive.

Mutagen Man is something the writers just seemingly stopped caring about, but at least they showed his container in this episode. And his container was always in the lair every episode.

Besides that, all the major characters in the show were pretty much wrapped up and had their closure, not even counting this 50 year timeskip. The only thing I would have done is shown what happened with Fugitoid, but that's about it.
So we just gonna forget all the other lives the turtles ruined in season 2?
Old 09-24-2017, 12:41 PM   #250
shredder orokusaki
Mad Scientist

And as you all saw the turtles are nothing more than weak cowards. They went to live n the oasis to hide from the other mutants and me!
Old 09-24-2017, 12:48 PM   #251
Vegita-San
Emperor

your resident 'troll' chiming in..

I never saw mad max.

That said, this whole episode seemed like an excuse for 'how are we going to end this thing in a way that feels 'epic'? I know, lets do a mad max parody. that's cool'..

April and Karai where mutants, where where they? same goes for Slash and the Mutanimals.

How can ice cream kitty survive in a desert?

The Bomb clearly went off in NYC, yet it all seems they moved out west for some reason.

It seems all the humans where mutated, yet, some mutants where destroyed? what was the bombs ultimate purpose other than devastation?

Too many plot convenient things, not enough things explained, and things ended on a seriously downer.....which seems par for the course with this team.

Not saying I didn't enjoy the episode....but...like so many things with this series, interesting ideas that could have been fleshed out a little cooler.
You could have made this a whole season in and of itself, with awesome tidbits thrown in all throughout, and a magical time trip to reverse it all.
Would also hold Renet's statement of 'you saved the world multiple times' true. something else they seem to have forgotten about...

It's been a weird run with this show.
I wanted to give it up around season 3, but trudged through because it's turtles. it's the first show I have not arcchived at all, and don't really feel the need to rewatch, not counting the horrid next mutation.

It had great animation, great music, great sound effects, great cast. a few neat new ideas here and there...but lackluster implementation.

I hope it was a good learning experience for nick on what works and what doesn't.
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 12:53 PM   #252
CyberCubed
Overlord

Vegita-san, do us all a favor and don't watch the next TMNT cartoon.
Old 09-24-2017, 12:55 PM   #253
newfan
Mad Scientist

I re-watched the episode with renet last night to be sure of what she said.... and yes she did say they saved the world many times and that they are in the history books.
Edit: Course, we don't know what they accomplished before the bomb went off.

Last edited by newfan; 09-24-2017 at 01:17 PM.
Old 09-24-2017, 12:56 PM   #254
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Half-Shell Heroes: Blast to the Past

I wish we could get a "Half-Shell Heroes: Blast to the Past" sequel now. Not the best story, but its ending was to interesting to leave unexplained.

Last edited by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan; 09-24-2017 at 01:05 PM.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 12:57 PM   #255
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allio View Post
So we just gonna forget all the other lives the turtles ruined in season 2?
What do you mean? The only Season 2 mutants we had was Kirby-bat (turned back to normal), Mutagen Man who we discussed, Dogpound mutated into Rahzar, Baxter mutated who was turned back to normal, and that little Owl kid we never saw again. Pizzaface was also an ambiguous dream episode.

Besides that the other mutants were just animals like Squirrelnoids or that Mushshroom/Fungus mutant and weren't people. And the Mushroom mutant died.
Old 09-24-2017, 12:58 PM   #256
Ninjinister
無問題

I think Casey would approve of what Raph did. It's sufficiently "metal".
Old 09-24-2017, 01:01 PM   #257
Vegita-San
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
I wish we could get a "Half-Shell Heroes: Blast to the Past" sequel now. Not the best story, but its ending was to interesting to leave unexplain.
agreed.

I rather enjoyed that little special.
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 01:04 PM   #258
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
The Bomb clearly went off in NYC, yet it all seems they moved out west for some reason..
LMAO, they didn't "move out west," the bomb and the moon being destroyed turned New York (and probably all of the U.S. or most continents) into a desert. It's called desertification, look it up.

You can't even comprehend what goes on in the show and you make things up.
Old 09-24-2017, 02:08 PM   #259
Allio
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjinister View Post
I think Casey would approve of what Raph did. It's sufficiently "metal".
You could call it "head bang"ing
Allio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 02:22 PM   #260
Glitter Wand
Thug

Not knowing what happened to the turtles' friends is rather open-ended. I think we can safely assume they either survived and were never found or perished during the mutagen bomb. Also, if this episode is the series finale, why are they showing it before the monster and crossover arcs?

"You need a recon flyby? I'm the birdman for the job! Pigeon Pete's ago!" - Pete
Glitter Wand is offline   Reply With Quote