The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Old 10-09-2015, 02:06 AM   #61
Freeman
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commenter 42 View Post
It would be nice, at some point in time, to see an OT April and Shredder - Aside from the sweet job done by grungethemovie, I don't think it's ever been done.
I could not agree more. As the 25th Anniversary remake featured not only turtles but also Splinter, April etc Classic Collection should also have expanded in that direction and grungethemovie created the best version possible of both Shredder and April.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Kappa View Post
The one good thing about the Playmates Classics was that Raph actually. And with more proper looking Sai. And even if SH Figuarts Leo comes with curved blades (no such thing as a straight katana or "ninjato") the handles should have had room for two hands since a katana is a longsword and a Daisho is 1 katana and 1 wakishashi not 2 katana, only a idiot would dualwield two katana sword...
As a karateka I can relate to your feeling for weaponry accuracy and I also think they did a great job in the classic line. Despite having retro art on the blister, I also think the card itself and the overall design of the box are also a great reature in this line. If eyeball art would have been more precise... I'm still debating on getting these turtles for I see them as the "deluxe" version (not ultimate and perfect, but significantly impoved) of the turtles I watched on TV so many years ago. However, without the rest of the secondary characters most lines start to look weak and senseless.
Old 10-09-2015, 11:30 AM   #62
TheBlueTurtle1
Foot Elite

Do you think they will be able to holster their weaponry?

http://jandmdev.deviantart.com/ (My Brother and I have a dev page, I am J, brother is M)
TheBlueTurtle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 01:04 PM   #63
turtlefanforever
Foot Elite

these are awesome!

Will pick up if affordable
turtlefanforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 03:11 PM   #64
Commenter 42
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
They based the figures on stock art, not the style of the Fred Wolf series.

They look like this:
http://imgc.allpostersimages.com/ima...ja-turtles.jpg

But they're supposed to look like this:
http://i62.tinypic.com/b8a3ia.jpg

Which is to say with darker skin, an olive/brown colored carapace, farther apart/circular eyes, a chocolate colored belt with grey buckle, a stockier build, no rim around the plastron, & pads that don't have the comic/film inspired "ribbed" look.
With a few paint mods...

It could be closer.

Commenter 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 03:22 PM   #65
theassassin
Foot Soldier

Now THAT is what I've always wanted Commenter 42. WHY can't Figuarts just make them like that? Tweak the colors (including the back shell which isn't visible in your pic) and do some better/unique headsculpts and they'll be PERFECT!! They're so close!!

Seriously does anyone know how to get in touch with the Figuarts people? As in a channel where the designers will actually read your comments, not just the US distributor guys who probably can't affect anything. I mean they'll almost certainly ignore us as obsessive nerd types or say "it's too late to change anything" (one of Mattel's favorite lines) but we should at least try.

And if anyone does send them a photoshopped pic, please make sure it shows the back shell (as Commenter 42's doesn't) and makes it clear we need better/unique headsculpts too.
theassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 03:31 PM   #66
Commenter 42
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by theassassin View Post
And if anyone does send them a photoshopped pic, please make sure it shows the back shell (as Commenter 42's doesn't) and makes it clear we need better/unique headsculpts too.
I think they're on FB. Feel free to send this pic to them, if it helps. I'm pretty sure you don't need to go so far as to PS the back shell, just send refernce from the cartoon.

They were clearly designing based on the "promo" art, not the in show designs. They may not have a license to do the "Fred Wolf' designs. I'm beginning to get the feeling that the licensing is structured that way, seeing as Brock O. was claiming his turtles ae not Mirage, rather Mondo designs. I'm just saying they may be restricted.

Personally, I like Raph's head here, could do with some minor tweaks, and we could loose the plastron edge...but it's cool.

If you do message them, please ask about an OT April & Shredder.

Last edited by Commenter 42; 10-09-2015 at 03:40 PM.
Old 10-10-2015, 12:04 AM   #67
Otter
Stone Warrior

These give me some hope that we might one day see collector-oriented, 1990-movie, Jim Henson-styled turtles.

We all know Playmates was never going to get it right (but I had been so excited by their announcement).

With literally hundreds of figures in my collection, I don't need these, but will be all in if Bandai can do movie figures. (My dream would be for a second wave with Casey, trench-coated Raph, Splinter and either April or Shredder... fat chance though.)
Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 05:09 AM   #68
Etsyturtle2
Banned

but.. They to have the shell edges in the cartoon.
Etsyturtle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 06:03 AM   #69
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etsyturtle2 View Post
http://gaminginsurrection.com/TheStr...1987Series.pngbut.. They to have the shell edges in the cartoon.
there's no rim around the plastrons in that image, so what are you referring too?
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 12:05 PM   #70
Commenter 42
Banned

I think they mean carapace, not the plastron.

The more I look at these, the less they appeal. They need a retooling.
Old 10-10-2015, 01:08 PM   #71
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

That's a weird thing to mix up...
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 01:18 PM   #72
Commenter 42
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Kappa View Post
That's a weird thing to mix up...
Mikey agrees with you.

Old 10-10-2015, 01:34 PM   #73
Etsyturtle2
Banned

Quote:
I almost wet my self when I saw the up close "wtf" image.
Yeah, I didn't understand what you meant. Sorry. Anyway, wasn't the cartoon based on the toys, which had the extra rim? I mean, playmates designed the toys and wanted a cartoon to back it up and on those toys was the extra plastron rim. So, wasn't the promo art accurate and the ot somewhat, in a way ,inaccurate? Well, b sides those stupid grins.
Old 10-10-2015, 02:15 PM   #74
Darth Knuckles
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etsyturtle2 View Post
I almost wet my self when I saw the up close "wtf" image.
Yeah, I didn't understand what you meant. Sorry. Anyway, wasn't the cartoon based on the toys, which had the extra rim? I mean, playmates designed the toys and wanted a cartoon to back it up and on those toys was the extra plastron rim. So, wasn't the promo art accurate and the ot somewhat, in a way ,inaccurate? Well, b sides those stupid grins.
I actually think this was a different situation then say Transformers where the show used the toys as the basis for the art. The 1987 original cartoon debuted sometime in December of 1987. After the shows' ratings were successful, Playmates decided to agree to make toys for the cartoon. The first Playmates toys were released in summer of 1988.
Old 10-10-2015, 03:01 PM   #75
Etsyturtle2
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Knuckles View Post
I actually think this was a different situation then say Transformers where the show used the toys as the basis for the art. The 1987 original cartoon debuted sometime in December of 1987. After the shows' ratings were successful, Playmates decided to agree to make toys for the cartoon. The first Playmates toys were released in summer of 1988.
Eastman and laird visited playmates with mark freedman in 1986 and freedman explained what a great action toy it would make. Playmates agreed but they wanted a cartoon to make kids know about it and lighten it up a bit. The cartoon was released before the toys, but the toys were designed by Steve Varner earlier than that, based on the comics with a few creative liberties taken.
Old 10-10-2015, 04:23 PM   #76
Powder
So tired of this place

Now that we've had a history lesson, what's your point? The cartoon was not aesthetically based on the toys, it was just created to sell them.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 10:00 PM   #77
Commenter 42
Banned

Quote:
You know this is 100% not true.
Old 10-10-2015, 10:11 PM   #78
Darth Knuckles
Stone Warrior

Quote:
You know this is 100% not true.
In what way? My main point was that the cartoon did not base their turtle designs of the turtles directly on the Playmates toy designs. That's why the original Playmates toys of the four turtles don't look exactly the way the characters were drawn in the Fred Wolf cartoon. As Powder said, aesthetically, the 1988 Playmates toy turtles and the Original Cartoon turtles do not look exactly the same.
Old 10-10-2015, 10:38 PM   #79
Commenter 42
Banned

Quote:
In what way? My main point was that the cartoon did not base their turtle designs of the turtles directly on the Playmates toy designs. That's why the original Playmates toys of the four turtles don't look exactly the way the characters were drawn in the Fred Wolf cartoon. As Powder said, aesthetically, the 1988 Playmates toy turtles and the Original Cartoon turtles do not look exactly the same.
Playmates ordered the first 5 episodes to sell the toys. You have it backwayds. the toys came first, then the cartoon. Playmates contracted MWS.

So, yeah, wrong.

Last edited by Commenter 42; 10-10-2015 at 10:43 PM.
Old 10-10-2015, 11:56 PM   #80
Darth Knuckles
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Playmates ordered the first 5 episodes to sell the toys. You have it backwayds. the toys came first, then the cartoon. Playmates contracted MWS.

So, yeah, wrong.
I understand all of the behind the scenes stuff and I get it. I never said otherwise and I'm not arguing any of that. The only thing I pointed out different about that was that, we as fans, couldn't get our hands on the Playmates toys until after the initial five episodes of the cartoon had already aired.

Reading my post back, I could see where that could be confusing. I didn't make that clear. I am not arguing what you said above about Playmates contracting MWS at all because that's what happened. I guess I just shouldn't have put that info in that post at that time. Etsyturtle2 was right about the process of how it happened. I was just jumping the gun to say that the Fred Wolf cartoon didn't adhere to how the Playmates toys looked. Where I feel that most Transformers characters did look like their toys. So I'm sorry for that confusion.

But my only original point is that the Playmates toys of the turtles, and other characters, and the way the turtles, and other characters, were drawn in the original cartoon are not the exact same.

That's all I meant when referencing the Transformers toys. Their situation was to make the cartoon show look extremely close to the way the toys looked. I think if you compare a lot of the Transformers toys to their counterparts on the show they look very similar in most cases.

I'm saying that while Playmates did already have the turtles toys in mind, the Fred Wolf cartoon didn't make the turtles have pupil-less eyes, black carapaces, different colored skin for each turtle, black and character unique belts, or the "extra rim" around the plastron like the Playmates toys did for the 1988 turtles. The cartoon turtles have their own unique look and I wish that was the style of these S.H. Figuarts TMNT figures.

Last edited by Darth Knuckles; 10-11-2015 at 12:02 AM.
Darth Knuckles is offline   Reply With Quote