The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Old 07-11-2005, 12:39 AM   #1
Tetsu Deinonychus
The Iron Dinosaur

Angry Cynical Rant About Today's Boring Games!!!

Finally, a chance to say in public how PISSED OFF I am at the current gaming market for producing so many (IMO) boring games!!

Seriously, I get angry when I read EGM and find that ALL they make anymore are stealth games and mafia games. THAT'S IT! THAT'S ALL THAT GETS MADE ANYMORE!!!! It drives me nuts.

It's not that I don't respect the originals, Metal Gear Solid and Grand Theft Auto are, in their own right great series. It's this endless legion of their clones that has completely ruined this whole generation of games. (except the Dreamcast, which (IMHO) was and is still the system with the best games ever. I miss the DC days )

Let's face it, Game Marketing is doing great, but gaming itself is dying!

I just get tired of EVERY game that comes out being either a MGS clone or a GTA clone. I liked it SO much better when it was all Street Fighter, and Mario clones, because I found them fun and interesting. I think the direction games REALLY need to go is backward! When I shop for old NES/SNES/Genesis games, I see so many wonderful options, but when I leaf through EGM, I see maybe ONE game I might want to play (2 out of three times it's for another console and I only own GC, cause I'm not rich enough to own all 3)

Anyway, I'm being a tad harsh, there are a handful of great games on the current systems(Devil May Cry, Mario, Zelda, Sonic, Oddworld, Final Fantasy,etc.), but one needs to have all three systems to have a decent amount of them, and I'm not a Rockefeller, those things are ungodly expensive. (I'll save the "why is every interesting game a console-exclusive" rant for another thread)

Anyway, thanks everybody for letting me vent. I've been keeping all that bottled up for a couple years now. And, if you disagree, go ahead. You're entitled too. Enjoy your games.

Now here's the good news. I'm gonna start making my own games. There is an easy PC game development kit called Game Maker, click here for the site. It's free!
It's PC only, but if you have a joypad you can make console-style games. I have a few in development that suit my own old-fashioned tastes. But, you "innovation fans" can try your on hands at it.
That way, if you can't buy a fun game, at least you can make one. You can even use the net to publish it, and give people something fun to play as console games sink into dullness.

Last edited by Tetsu Deinonychus; 05-21-2006 at 03:11 PM.
Tetsu Deinonychus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 12:53 AM   #2
ThirdMarioBro
Tea Time!

You're right in many ways. I personally believe there are pleanty of good options still out there, but all this "people trying to make the next GTA" sh*t needs to stop. We all know it won't though. Frankly, it'll just get worse. We all know it, but that dosen't mean the good games left will go away. as long as there is an audience for them and they sell, they will stay around.

And hey, Revolution's going to give us access to the NES, SNES, Genesis, and N64 libraries, so who knows. Maybe some kids will play them and say "Hey, I want more games like this" and the industry will listen. You never know.

I'd do my own rant, but I think I've beaten that dead horse around here far too much. Don't let that stop the rest of you though Rant away.
Old 07-11-2005, 12:56 AM   #3
Super Moderator

You're not alone. I believe the gaming industry is doing great, but the game just aren't the way they used to be. Whatever happened to getting frustrated, but you keep playing anyway? Whatever happened to the wonderful gameplay that we all know and love? It's basically gone. There's good games here and there, but there's not nearly as many good games as there were back in the day. But you know what? I think our standard for games have been raised in the past few years. We expect so much more out of games, and they just can't provide. That's what I think, anyway.
愛 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 01:19 AM   #4
The Stryker
Stupid Rich

The Magic is Gone even from the the Magical land of Nintendo.

Hopefully it'll come back but i'll probably be dead by then

@~<3 Mom~@
The Stryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 01:59 AM   #5
ThirdMarioBro
Tea Time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ai Takahashi
You're not alone. I believe the gaming industry is doing great, but the game just aren't the way they used to be. Whatever happened to getting frustrated, but you keep playing anyway? Whatever happened to the wonderful gameplay that we all know and love? It's basically gone. There's good games here and there, but there's not nearly as many good games as there were back in the day. But you know what? I think our standard for games have been raised in the past few years. We expect so much more out of games, and they just can't provide. That's what I think, anyway.
Yeah, that's a good point. People expect too much from their games. Remember the days when all people did was walk and shoot and they were happy.

Gawd I feel like I'm 80.
Old 07-11-2005, 02:11 AM   #6
Dinny
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdMarioBro
And hey, Revolution's going to give us access to the NES, SNES, Genesis, and N64 libraries, so who knows.
Since when does the Revolution get access to the Genesis library. Surely the only Genesis games it will have are those also released on the Super Nintendo.
Dinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 02:11 AM   #7
Spitfire
Writer • Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ai Takahashi
This is why I like Devil May Cry! It's hard! Keeps me playing! Smash Brothers Melee too! It's hard! Keeps me playing! Resident Evil, not 4 that is SO easy but the others. I HATE IT then I just play agame and kick it's ass easily. TMNT Battle Nexus 2 is hard as well. Maybe why I like it so much
Old 07-11-2005, 02:15 AM   #8
ThirdMarioBro
Tea Time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinny
Since when does the Revolution get access to the Genesis library. Surely the only Genesis games it will have are those also released on the Super Nintendo.
Sega has publically expressed intrest in placing their games on Nintendo's download service.
Old 07-11-2005, 07:17 AM   #9
Barkworm
Just passing by

I don't see anything wrong with gaming. Every year there are about ten games I really want to buy and that's all I can afford anyway.
Barkworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 11:00 AM   #10
Dinny
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdMarioBro
Sega has publically expressed intrest in placing their games on Nintendo's download service.
Seriously? Excellent. As for the shalowness of the gaming industry, I agree with Barkworm, however it is true that there are around 50 bad games for every good game.
Dinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 01:38 PM   #11
Spitfire
Writer • Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkworm
I don't see anything wrong with gaming. Every year there are about ten games I really want to buy and that's all I can afford anyway.
Aw your so lucky! I don't even get 10 games a year I want. I have two that I wanted so far. The rest I want are old games...I want to buy all the RE games for Gamecube
Old 07-11-2005, 08:37 PM   #12
Deathknight
Mad Scientist

Yeah, I've been very bored with today's gaming myself. That's why I invested mainly in GBA recently because the games were like the old school games I like to play. These days there aren't many good games out there and it depresses me. My big purchase for the year was Naruto 3 for Gamecube and that's not even going to be released in the US. Awesome game though.