The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 01-13-2009, 06:39 PM   #1
TobeyP
Random Punk

A Weird time?

Does anyone think that even though we are celebrating our favourite dudes 25th B'day. 2009 is looking to be the TMNT's darkest year? With everything going on, or is it just me?

Comments appreciated.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:34 AM   #2
Drtooth
Foot Elite

How many threads are like this? How many?

I agree it's an odd time. The TMNT came back just before their 20th anniversary. That come back seems to be fading into the dark, due to the show's cancellation of 7 seasons (or 8 if you count FF as two, on a broadcast level at least, as the show's 26 episodes were unevenly stretched top 2 TV seasons), no agreement on a sequel to a movie from 2 years ago (and that license expired last year ago).

Now, take the Transformers. They're also hitting the big 25, and look what's up for them. A second movie, a thriving new cartoon series, and toys that never seem to go off the shelves. Of course, while Transformers had a few rough stretches from time to time, they never really left. At least for a period of time as long as TMNT did.

I'd say that it would have been more sound to have celebrated the TMNT 20th for those same reasons. The toys were doing pretty well for themselves at that point, the TV show was going pretty strong, and there was talks of a movie in a couple years. When you have something on the horizon to look forward to, things look much better.

By the time they hit the 25th, we've already had all of those things... the movie is history, the show's going, the toys aren't selling....Hell, even with the 50th Smurfday celebration there was talk of a movie to look forward to at least. Of course, that thing affected Europe a lot bigger than over here. But then again, the Smurfs were seen as a serious comic book right up their along Lucky Luke, Asterix and TinTin, while in the US it was a 1980's fad.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:20 AM   #3
Kendamu
Sewerhead

Uhh, no. There was this time between like '98 and '01 that was dead for the TMNT. It drove people like me, who don't read fanfics, to read fanfics to get my TMNT fix.

I just bought a boatload of comics, a shirt, I'm gonna get more DVDs, prolly the 25th Anniversary Mikey figure, and the new game. Between the years of '98 and '01 I got a lot of nothing.
Kendamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 09:39 AM   #4
Chrissie Terrapin
Foot Soldier

I think things will turn out okay^_^
Chrissie Terrapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 03:42 PM   #5
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Emperor

1999-2001

No, I belive the darkest time was from the 1999 cancellation of the Image comics (one year after the 1998 cancellation of the Next Mutation) until the 2001 re-start of the Mirage comics (and in 2003 the 2003 cartoon started).
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 08:34 PM   #6
Coola Yagami
Emperor

Yeah... we at least have a possible DTV movie and a new fighting game to look forward too... right? Plus the re-release of some classic figures.
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote