The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2010, 09:28 PM   #1
Herald7
Hench Mutant
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 286
Classic Episode Discussion: Mr. Nice Guy

Basically in this episode it's Raphael's turn to feel the predictable wrath of Donatello's personality modifer device thingie, and he turns from a sarcastic nasty turtle into one who's all sweet and accomodating and (obviously) nice.

You know it's interesting how these awful mishaps always seem to happen on one of the turtles' birthdays. I'm was actually surprised that "Night of the Dark Turtle" didn't happen on Donatello's birthday!

But back to the episode, it so clear here what an amazing comedic actor Ron Paulsen is. He takes a pretty basic premise (nasty guy turns nice) and does so much more with it than you would ever even think of. In fact, it's hard for me to come up with quotes because it's not really the lines that are funny, but rather how he says them; his delivery was spot on.

Finally, there's this funny moment at the end where Donatello tells Raph to blow out the candles of his birthday cake and make a wish. Raph blows too hard and of course the cake ends up all over Don's face. Raphael then says, "Hey, my wish came true!"

I think this sums up the difference between '87 Raphael and the '03 Raphael. '03 Raphael would just outright say, "I wish that cake was in your face!" But with '87 Raphael it becomes a joke where it takes you a second to get the point, and then you laugh (in theory...at least...I did!).
Herald7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 07:40 PM   #2
Icebot
Foot Elite
 
Icebot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: East Coast, US
Posts: 2,684
This was a pretty interesting episode. Raphael was being nice all the time, even when he shouldn't have. Like when those newsvan stealers robbed the bank, and Raphael helped them get away. I still can't believe he did that.
Icebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 10:29 PM   #3
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 32,445
I loved this episode. Nice continuity to the first ep with it too.

Raph was awesome in it. The villain was the typical mad scientist, but it worked well.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 12:52 AM   #4
Sage Ninja
Band of the Hawk
 
Sage Ninja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 3,711
Quote:
Basically in this episode it's Raphael's turn to feel the predictable wrath of Donatello's personality modifer device thingie, and he turns from a sarcastic nasty turtle into one who's all sweet and accomodating and (obviously) nice.

You know it's interesting how these awful mishaps always seem to happen on one of the turtles' birthdays. I'm was actually surprised that "Night of the Dark Turtle" didn't happen on Donatello's birthday!
notice how all the turtles get their personality altered at one point in the series? Either through that dumb device of Donatello's or some other stressful circumstances. The OT sure liked to flip flop their personalites didn't they?

this episode had some laugh out loud moments for me, particularly the scene where the turtles decide to chace after the bad guys in the beginning and Leonardo has to tell Rapahel that he has to go to, who was busy watering someones windowsill box flowers!
__________________
________________________________
http://frankviola.org/2012/01/30/godsviewofawoman/
_______________________________
http://nox-artemis.tumblr.com/post/4...k-and-feminism
Sage Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 07:13 AM   #5
Prowler
Santa Maria Ozawa
 
Prowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Portugal
Posts: 4,917
It was an OK episode, Raph acting all nice was kinda funny.

Though, I don't understand why he was in such a bad mood in the beggining of the episode, I know the theme song says "Raphael is cool but rude" but to be honest, Raph never seemed much rude to me in the series, he was just a joker who liked to provoke Mikey once in a while and make sarcastic remarks of other people. OT Raph is actually the friendliest incarnation of Raphael.

Last edited by Prowler; 08-07-2010 at 12:14 PM.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 06:30 PM   #6
Herald7
Hench Mutant
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 286
Quote:
notice how all the turtles get their personality altered at one point in the series? Either through that dumb device of Donatello's or some other stressful circumstances.
Of course this episode exposes a huge plothole in the series. If they have this personality alterator, why don't they just use it on Shredder?! On the other hand, it might end up making him a more competent villian, so perhaps best leave well enough alone, hehe.

Quote:
Raph never seemed much rude to me in the series
Well in this series Raphael is like that friend or relative you have that can never let anything go without making a comment. Like when April realized Splinter was Hamato Yoshi and Raphael says, "You've got a mind like a steel trap!" We laugh at that moment because we're the audience, but if remarks like that were aimed at you all the time you'd start getting annoyed, lol.

Personally I find OT Raphael much more interesting than other versions of Raphael that are just "Grrr I'm angry" which get a bit tiresome after a while, IMO. (Except for the 1st movie version of Raphael)
Herald7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 06:44 PM   #7
gobo
Wacky Action
 
gobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: on Earth
Posts: 12,787
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herald7 View Post
Well in this series Raphael is like that friend or relative you have that can never let anything go without making a comment.
Specific example: OT Raph is just like our Friend, Chandler. ^_^
__________________
Live and let live... or go to hell.

gobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 01:29 PM   #8
Herald7
Hench Mutant
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 286
What's funny is that I saw a screencap from this episode awhile back of Raphael doing laundry. And my first thought was, "Why would they be doing laundry, they almost never wear clothes!" Sure enough, in the actual episode Raphael says, "Can you tell me how four guys who don't wear clothes could dirty so much of it?!" Lol
Herald7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 02:43 PM   #9
Prowler
Santa Maria Ozawa
 
Prowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Portugal
Posts: 4,917
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herald7 View Post
What's funny is that I saw a screencap from this episode awhile back of Raphael doing laundry. And my first thought was, "Why would they be doing laundry, they almost never wear clothes!" Sure enough, in the actual episode Raphael says, "Can you tell me how four guys who don't wear clothes could dirty so much of it?!" Lol
They wear disguises...
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 02:55 PM   #10
Herald7
Hench Mutant
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 286
True, but in the episode, we just see Raphael ironing their bandanas, lol.
Herald7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.